• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
My experiences with the console being loud isn't always the same as what other people claim. God of War was most definitely the game that my Pro made the most noise during, though.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm probably gonna wait to play this one on PS5. Pretty likely it'll have a boost mode and perform / look better. My Destiny 2 Pro is long in the tooth and loud as an industrial washer, lol.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Sony don't get enough abuse for this issue, it's not their first rodeo. All 3 xbox one models are whisper quiet so it isn't an impossible task to release a design that doesn't require you to turn up the sound.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Fuck, I just need my OG PS4 to live long enough to play GoT. I'm already shoveling coal into it just to play ff7.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
These days, my system is loud on just about everything, even games that didn't used to be loud. It's definitely not just Horizon's or God of War's menus any more, at least for me.

And yes, PS5 will be better. Not just because of the cooling solution, but because of the power solution. No more wild guessing (and getting it wrong) on how much a developer can push the system in ways the designers didn't think of. Maximum heat output of the PS5 is a known, fixed quantity this time around, and the cooling solution is tailored to that.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
LET'S FUCKING GO

love to hear my PS4 pro taking off like a jet engine...that means it's working HARD.

Oct 29, 2017
lmao this game + the Mexican summer will definitely kill my PS4. Well, at least I hope I get to finish it before it takes off into the stratosphere.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'll have to try and reapply thermal paste on my launch PS4. That thing gets loud just downloading an update

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Fuckin hell. The original TLOU killed my launch PS3, and I'm semi-prepared that the second one will kill my launch PS4.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This plus the fact that many new games next gen won't run on PS4 will be the major drivers of PS5 adoption. Sony is so forward thinking.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The sound is so annoying in a atmospheric game like ND games. My biggest criticism for the PS4 Pro and my console already sounds like it's taking off when playing Horizon for example.

PS5 can't come soon enough and hopefully has this fixed. Cerny acknowledge the sound issue and that gives me confidence.

My Pro never had problems with this on any game.

Is his console clean?
Cerny acknowledge the issue, because it exists for many models, even though the console is clean.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah expected i guess, headphones all the way then.
have both ps4pro and onex at my setup and ps4pro is an acoustic disaster compared to onex for sure.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Honestly I just associate the noise with the sound of a quality game. I rather it not be there and I rather not fear like I can't take the system off and have to keep playing because what if it doesn't turn on again? Had that feeling alot with God of War.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I wonder if they were gonna demo Part2 running on a ps5 being all whisper quiet. That would definitely be another plus besides any other benefits you'd get with the hardware.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Do people actually open up their PS4 and remove the dust from the console? My XB1X has become loud, just like my PS4 was. And you know what made it better? removing the dust...

And if you're response is "I shouldn't have to do that" you're right but it's unfortunately a necessity. Had to do the same with my PC too and guess what? it helped. My PS4 was quite for about 3½ years until the sound became a problem.
I never was more annoyed by the sounds of a fan than with my PS4 Pro and I owned several consoles and PC. I don't think people should be forced to open the console as many casuals don't even know how to do this and clean everything safely.
I know the Pro can be loud, mine too.
But not THAT loud. 😅
Sound similar to mine.
Could you provide a source that says all PS4 games will be backwards compatible on the PS5? I don't see how I'm misinterpreting when Cerny said that they'd done internal testing of the top 100 games to make sure they were compatible and playable on PS4.

Only other post I see is on Eurogamer that says any games submitted after July 13th will be required to support the PS5.
So as others said the majority of 4,000 games are expected to work on PS5. What we don't know is the mode used for these games and PS5 BC capabilities offer three of them.

PS4 legacy mode: 18 CU at PS4 frequency
PRO legacy mode: 36 CU at 911mhz
PS5 native mode: 36CU max frequency (speculation)
At this point I don't care if ps5 is as big as a goddamn minifridge.
I want it to be quiet.
My thoughts exactly.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Call of Duty Warzone always makes it sound like it's about to take off. I get worried about my poor Pro frying itself and only play for an hour or so.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised sadly.

A bunch of recent games have got worse and worse. For whatever reason, Dreams sends my Pro into overdrive and even gave me my first 'your PS4 is too hot' message.

Bring on PS5.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ya pretty much expected this lol.

God I hope the PS5 is quiet, or at least significantly more quiet than the PS4. Not asking for much Sony, just don't want it to sound like my PS5 is about leave orbit whenever I try to play a more graphically intense game.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had a similar thing with God of War on mine. I usually play with headphones anyway, so I didn't notice until I would take the headset off and start getting ready to turn the game off, but yeah that thing was like a jet taking off in my room

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Oopsi wrong thread.

Anways im lucky and have a pretty quite pro. But im playing with ANC headphones most of the time so it wouldnt really matter to me.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I am playing The Last of Us 2 right now and the PS4 Pro is loud while playing the game. Not as loud when playing NBA 2K20 though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
fuuuuuuck me

so tempted to buy one of the quieter units, but we're also so close to ps5 launch. and it would be for one game. ughhh

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My PS4 Pro (second gen) has been whisper quiet. Haven't heard a single thing.