• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I also have a first model PS4 Pro and it is the case on almost every game...
Yep not surprised. I expect my console to go to the moon by the end of my playthrough.
Me to my LOUD PS4 Pro: "One last ride my friend. Be brave." *single tear shed*

So I only recently just got a PS4 pro and haven't noticed this at all (played VII Remake digital, TLOU remastered disk and Doom Eternal Disk), but to those with experience, does this happen (more so) at all with disk games because it's spinning and the eye is always moving, etc? Or that doesn't matter and having a downloaded version of a game wouldn't help the fan issue and fan would still be spinning alot/loud, etc?

I luckily also play with headphones/earbuds so that helps at least.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Can your PS4 get damaged or something? Mine gets so loud sometimes that it's scary.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
So I only recently just got a PS4 pro and haven't noticed this at all (played VII Remake digital, TLOU remastered disk and Doom Eternal Disk), but to those with experience, does this happen (more so) at all with disk games because it's spinning and the eye is always moving, etc? Or that doesn't matter and having a downloaded version of a game wouldn't help the fan issue and it'd still be spinning alot/loud, etc?

Physical/digital is identical, all games run from the HDD.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I recently played Dreams and it was a grim reminder how loud that thing gets. Will be even worse with such a atmospheric narrative-heavy game. I'm pretty much forced to use headphones there.

The Pro just sucks so much as a console. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I couldn't care less, to be honest.

If it, at least, isn't crashing the whole console with an overheating error like my Xbox One X does it with a hand full of titles it's completely ok.

Just use headphones or make the sound louder.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So I only recently just got a PS4 pro and haven't noticed this at all (played VII Remake digital, TLOU remastered disk and Doom Eternal Disk), but to those with experience, does this happen (more so) at all with disk games because it's spinning and the eye is always moving, etc? Or that doesn't matter and having a downloaded version of a game wouldn't help the fan issue and fan would still be spinning alot/loud, etc?

I don't think the disked is used a lot. You installed almost all the game on HDD.
But remember you have the third revision, they fixed a lot of noise issue with it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because:
1. It was one of Cerny key points on the deep dive into PS5 architecture
2. He said he's proud of what the teams came up with regarding cooling.

So we will see.
Yeah, after two duds in a row I don't believe him. PS4 Pro was already their chance at improving things over the launch PS4's and they did an even worse job.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Damn, really hope my DS edition Pro can hold its own against this, but it's definitely somewhat worring. I was always planning to play with headphones on anyway, but it sucks for what I assume is the majority of people, who'll be playing the game using their own TV's speakers.

What version of the Pro do you have? If you don't mind me asking.

the launch model, cuh-7015b. I've definitely heard my system's fans rev up, particularly in God of War, but TLOU2 hasn't been noticeably louder than other games.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Show me these fabled Air Conditioners, even my brand new window shaker and portable are just as loud as the ones I owned 10 years ago.

You know many air conditioners are in the 24db range (considered quiet) and some even go into the 16db range (extra quiet).

I mean, any of them would be quieter than a PS4 Pro.

Ehhh. Don't play in your bedroom and use the living room instead?? 😅

Like if that was enough with this monstrosity...

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Like I did with God Of War and Spiderman, I'll have to face my small fan towards my PS4Pro.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil

My Pro is quite old, launch model basically, people say that olders models have worse coolers and consume more energy and generate more heat.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That quiet? Must be nice.

I expect to hear it even with headphones in at full volume on my launch PS4. I've been thinking for years every time I play a new game that the thing is just going to totally combust at any moment. So far it hasn't happened.

Just praying it can make it through it's last and toughest test yet with TLOU. Ol' buddy is so close to retirement.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Physical/digital is identical, all games run from the HDD.
I don't think the disked is used a lot. You installed almost all the game on HDD.
But remember you have the third revision, they fixed a lot of noise issue with it.
My Pro is quite old, launch model basically, people say that olders models have worse coolers and consume more energy and generate more heat.

Ah ok, thanks for the replies and that all makes sense.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
My Death Stranding pro is ready for both TLOU II and GoT. Changed the thermal paste last week and even in CoD: MW's lobby I can not hear the console.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
200.gif

Seriously tho, surely you guys jest. It can't be that loud...or I'm deaf, idk.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm sure the the fans are EXACTLY as loud as they ever are. There isn't some special magic that makes them louder than they behave in the worst moments of God of War or any other game. Just gives me an excuse to play nice and loud.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
You know many air conditioners are in the 24db range (considered quiet) and some even go into the 16db range (extra quiet).

I mean, any of them would be quieter than a PS4 Pro.

Like if that was enough with this monstrosity...
Most of them are in the 40 - 50db range but I'll need to find one of these mythical window units at some point.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I know the Pro can be loud, mine too.
But not THAT loud. 😅

Trust me, living room is next to bedroom so they share the same wall. And my girlfriend can say when I am playing and when I am not. And I am using headphones. And I don't press the buttons that hard, of course.

Most of them are in the 40 - 50db range but I'll need to find one of these mythical window units at some point.

LG has a range of extra quiet ones, at least in Europe. I know because this year I installed one at home.

Of course, it depends on the area you need to cover.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
i cleaned my PS4 pro 2 month ago and it's been quiet, but still only god of war is loud but after cleaning, it was huge improvement, before cleaning spiderman was really annoying, now it's super quiet that made me a bit worry maybe the fan not working, but with god of war is working high.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I believe it lol. My ps4 is fucking loud even after a thermal paste replacement, especially in uncapped menus and maps
Like my old shitty 970 with coil whine wasn't nearly this fucking loud. It's why I opted for a massive PC case with tons of emphasis on quiet cooling. I get that it's not so easy on a tiny console, but I legit have to play with a headset in some games because the thing is an absolute jet engine

Console fan go BRRRRRRR

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

I have a huuuge digital library. Rarely play the disc games I have. It's just some games cause it to take off.

If you have a newer model you should be fine. I have a refurb of an older model. Double whammy.

For the DIYers, some ppl it's getting better fans that helped, some replaced the paste. I tried cleaning, no help. I might need compressed air tho.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just put on wool socks and play in the walk-in freezer. Keep those ambient temps low and my toes toasty.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
HOW is this still being misinterpreted? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Could you provide a source that says all PS4 games will be backwards compatible on the PS5? I don't see how I'm misinterpreting when Cerny said that they'd done internal testing of the top 100 games to make sure they were compatible and playable on PS4.

Only other post I see is on Eurogamer that says any games submitted after July 13th will be required to support the PS5.