• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who tried to create a functioning door in DREAMS and eventually went insane I can sympathise.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, it's not the first time I've heard this.

Devs from tactical games like Rainbow Six or SWAT 4 have spoken about the same exact thing, how doors, even if totally normal for the players, require quite a lot of work from the AI side, as the break a lot of conceptions they have about the environment, which is what they use to make decisions.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MNlRmYp.gif

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a giant pain in the ass, interesting read thanks op. I can't remember what game (maybe RE2 Remake?) but I recall being blown away that zombies could actually bust some of them down. No clue if that was a more scripted thing vs the clearly dynamic states having to be accounted for in TLOU II.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
RE2 Remake had that thing where zombies could not get inside of a room with a door, even if the door was wide open, it would mysteriously close on its own. Except for Mr.X of course.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Look at doors in the Hitman series. No character animation on opening or closing, and most of them, once opened, will just swing shut on their own after a bit. Probably has to do with the difficulties described here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad Cold War added doors back in Zombies. A noticeable downgrade from Modern Warfare not having doors in MP.

Doors are definitely tricky though, especially in VR games.

I had no idea Assassins Creed games still don't have doors.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Not an issue with doors themselves, but I just wish there was a better solution to making door frames than making them HUGE. Once you notice it you can't unsee it.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I think in RE3 Remake enemies will stop pursuing you if you are in between a door; like they dont know how to handle you. And you could take cheap shots at them.
I could be misremembering, but I remember the AI getting kinda wonky when you were in the door frame.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to prgramming, I've found that the thing that everybody expects to be super difficult is easy and the thing that everyone thinks is basic is actually super hard. A computer can do a thousand math problems instantaneously but can barely tell a dog from a cat or a car from a truck.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
It's not just stationary doors, vehicle doors can be pretty rough for unsuspecting bystanders

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh wow 😳
Gonna appreciate doors more from now on

I swear it's always the most innocuous shit that's hardest for animators and programmers lol

I feel like getting hair right is still going to be a struggle even a decade or so from now... Poor hair, you do nothing but look fabulous and blow in the wind.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I think I heard a few years ago that one character handing another character an item was the single toughest thing to animate.

It's cool to hear the inside baseball about what is tough or relatively easy to accomplish in game development.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Hitman has pretty great doors, though Hitman 3 introduced a bug where enemies sometimes phase through doors. I assume that probably pretty hard to fix judging by the tweets lmao.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i'm literally never putting a door on my indie games projects, like, never. lmao.

Jul 20, 2020
COD Modern Warfare has the best doors. The have such a good feel and sound when you open them. Compared to the doors in Cold War Outbreak its night and day.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Not an issue with doors themselves, but I just wish there was a better solution to making door frames than making them HUGE. Once you notice it you can't unsee it.

That's a camera issue moreso than a player design one.

The real kicker is when you notice that every interior in a 3rd person game has massive vaulted ceilings everywhere. The humblest shack has a nice 12-14 foot ceiling in it (again, camera issue).