• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you stand now?

• Yes, the dogs have done it.

Votes: 905 63.9%
  • No, I’m a cat person.

Votes: 199 14.0%
  • The dogs have done it and I'm a cat person.

Votes: 313 22.1%

• Total voters

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted "The dogs have done it" because the DOGS have DONE IT.
After the media blowout, everyone still thinking the "conspiracy theories" of them showing the game should all check their heart rate, because Im pretty sure ND are going to blow our minds and make our hearts race with the actual PS5.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I voted "The dogs have done it" because the DOGS have DONE IT.
After the media blowout, everyone still thinking the "conspiracy theories" of them showing the game should all check their heart rate, because Im pretty sure ND are going to blow our minds and make our hearts race with the actual PS5.

This game is going to look bonkers on PS5.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like a disservice to play this on a base PS4 with a likely PS5 remaster. If I knew I could dodge the inevitable spoilers, including assholes on YT that instantly spoil games in their video titles on day 1, I'd wait.

In fact, I'd gladly have this game delayed until PS5 launches, even though I know that wont be a popular opinion.

Also, I miss UC4. That gif was a good reminder on the last page. I only played through it once. The story was really lame at times and way too bogged down in trying to do Last of Us kinds of emotional drama, but the actual treasure hunting story was the best the game has ever been. UC2 and UC3 were both pretty underwhelming with their uncharted worlds, but man oh man, is UC4 absolutely stunning and creepy. I loved soaking in the pirate world, and feeding my imagination of what I was seeing.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The youtube videos with spoiler thumnails are going to be working overtime as soon as people get this game.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
It really feels like a disservice to play this on a base PS4 with a likely PS5 remaster. If I knew I could dodge the inevitable spoilers, including assholes on YT that instantly spoil games in their video titles on day 1, I'd wait.

In fact, I'd gladly have this game delayed until PS5 launches, even though I know that wont be a popular opinion.

Also, I miss UC4. That gif was a good reminder on the last page. I only played through it once. The story was really lame at times and way too bogged down in trying to do Last of Us kinds of emotional drama, but the actual treasure hunting story was the best the game has ever been. UC2 and UC3 were both pretty underwhelming with their uncharted worlds, but man oh man, is UC4 absolutely stunning and creepy. I loved soaking in the pirate world, and feeding my imagination of what I was seeing.
Well likely there would be a "boost mode" or the like on first party games when being played on ps5, but in this scenario with the multiplayer being held back, likely for next gen, they'll probably package both in one.

I hear you, spoilers will be largely unavoidable. I would like to take my time with this, maybe take a week to play. But it's such a large risk to take anymore.

A disservice though? No I wouldn't quite use that, it'll look and play more than fine on a base, that's the platform they're targeting. We waited this long, I would wait till ps5 if need be. But I'll be there day one regardless.

Jan 20, 2019

The problem is that this fucking assholes are going to spoil the entire thing, im going to play on the base ps4 and latter replay it on the ps5.

I need to get uncharted 4 tough, never play that game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They are for sure going to upgrade it in some way, not seismically, just comparable to PS3 and PS4 versions of the original TLOU.
I expect a PS5 re-release, but after PS4 Pro upgrades they've set the precedent that they are free updates if you own the game, so I'd assume that will continue with PS5 upgrades.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Before moving on to TLL, for the sake of perspective, here's the melee animation system for Uncharted 3:

A lot of slipping and sliding to get into poses from which melee animations could be executed. And no, it has still not fully disappeared for current gen games (some more than others) but has been mitigated drastically courtesy of advanced blending techniques allied to notably increased repertoire of underlying animations made possible by hard working folks thanks to comparatively (and notably) larger pool of usable RAM.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on how much work they do for a PS5 version.

And if it includes the multiplayer component.
I don't think it does, they've set expectations already. If they expect people to buy a game they bought and can still play on the system they'll be met with a lot of backlash. If they wanna sell the MP they should just sell the MP, artificially limiting it to just some versions on PS5 is just really dumb imo and would only piss people of more.
It also means 3rd parties will charge too for PS5 upgrades, making for even more anger. Plus very small chance MS do the same, based on their BC ports this gen, which adds more anger on top of all the anger. When the can just re-release stuff for PS5 make a lot of new sales as the launch window will likely be lacking and reward the loyal customers with a free upgrade for easy good will.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
They will enhance, repackage and remarket TLOU2 for PS5. It's just a LOT of easy money.

I'll eat the crow if not, but I'm confident.

I don't believe it. There will be a patch and probably the PS4 version will maybe be 4k 60 fps or 4k reconstruction 60 fps with faster loading time. This would be great.

EDIT: And I think it will be the case for some first-party PS4 games.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe it. There will be a patch and probably the PS4 version will maybe be 4k 60 fps or 4k reconstruction 60 fps with faster loading time. This would be great.

EDIT: And I think it will be the case for some first-party PS4 games.

PS4 games will get a boost on PS5, but I believe certain games will still get the "remaster" treatment behind a new cover and ad campaign. There's a market out there for that regardless of BC.

TLOU2 will be so big for Sony that not releasing a "new version" for PS5 would be leaving a lot money on the table since a patch won't generate the same hype or sales.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
PS4 games will get a boost on PS5, but I believe certain games will still get the "remaster" treatment behind a new cover and ad campaign. There's a market out there for that regardless of BC.

TLOU2 will be so big for Sony that not releasing a "new version" for PS5 would be leaving a lot money on the table since a patch won't generate the same hype or sales.

Some third-party games will probably be remastered but I don't believe some first-party games will be remastered maybe they will market the games as improve on PS5 with a patch but this is too negative in term of image. You can perfectly market an enhanced backward compatible title.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some third-party games will probably be remastered but I don't believe some first-party games will be remastered maybe they will market the games as improve on PS5 with a patch but this is too negative in term of image. You can perfectly market an enhanced backward compatible title.

Unless the improvement is huge, I don't see Sony spending a lot of money to market a patch. TLOU2 will be big enough to allocate a good chunk of money to re-release it and market it for PS5.

I feel that just enhancing it and announcing a patch (if they decide to promote it), would be such a missed opportunity.

Anyway, guess we'll see later on.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it does, they've set expectations already. If they expect people to buy a game they bought and can still play on the system they'll be met with a lot of backlash. If they wanna sell the MP they should just sell the MP, artificially limiting it to just some versions on PS5 is just really dumb imo and would only piss people of more.
It also means 3rd parties will charge too for PS5 upgrades, making for even more anger. Plus very small chance MS do the same, based on their BC ports this gen, which adds more anger on top of all the anger. When the can just re-release stuff for PS5 make a lot of new sales as the launch window will likely be lacking and reward the loyal customers with a free upgrade for easy good will.

I think you're really going to be proven wrong in all this.

If people just want to play TLOU2 PS4 version on their shiny new PS5, then they can do that.

For people that waited or are just picking up a PS5 and don't own TLOU2, it's a no brainer decision to have it available in the new PS5 packaging, it just entices people to buy it even if it's 80% the same as the PS4 version.

I don't think anyone's going to charge for patches, but remastered games that are more than just 4k 60fps updates will for sure be sold and sell well.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

If people just want to play TLOU2 PS4 version on their shiny new PS5, then they can do that.

For people that waited or are just picking up a PS5 and don't own TLOU2, it's a no brainer decision to have it available in the new PS5 packaging, it just entices people to buy it even if it's 80% the same as the PS4 version.

I don't think anyone's going to charge for patches, but remastered games that are more than just 4k 60fps updates will for sure be sold and sell well.
They can sell PS5 versions without pissing off existing buyers, there'd likely be a lot more money in it too, I sure as shit have no interest in PS5 for the first couple years if I have to rebuy all the worthwhile stuff to take full advantage of the console. But it wouldn't be the first time a platform holder got greedy, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell PS5 enhancements separately.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They can sell PS5 versions without pissing off existing buyers, there'd likely be a lot more money in it too, I sure as shit have no interest in PS5 for the first couple years if I have to rebuy all the worthwhile stuff to take full advantage of the console. But it wouldn't be the first time a platform holder got greedy, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell PS5 enhancements separately.

If they properly remaster it, there won't be any issues. Existing owners can play their boosted version while others pay for a better version.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I expect it'll be treated like a GOTY Edition re-release on PS5.

Add some DLC or trinkets like costumes and such, and put a price tag to that version for the purpose of adding another SKU to the market - but existing owners will get that patch too if you already own the PS4 version.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Before moving on to TLL, for the sake of perspective, here's the melee animation system for Uncharted 3:

A lot of slipping and sliding to get into poses from which melee animations could be executed. And no, it has still not fully disappeared for current gen games (some more than others) but has been mitigated drastically courtesy of advanced blending techniques allied to notably increased repertoire of underlying animations made possible by hard working folks thanks to comparatively (and notably) larger pool of usable RAM.
This is unrelated to this thread, but man the melee combat in both this and UC4 is absolutely horrendous. The TLOU2 news made me start to replay UC4 and the "fight" in the prison is one of the most displeasing things I've played in recent memory.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
This is unrelated to this thread, but man the melee combat in both this and UC4 is absolutely horrendous. The TLOU2 news made me start to replay UC4 and the "fight" in the prison is one of the most displeasing things I've played in recent memory.

Of course Uncharted 3 has a lower quality in the melee combat animations. It's a game from 2011 and developed on Ps3 so it's quite good if you think about that.

Uncharted 4 has good melee combat and The Lost Legacy is even better. You should stick to the latest work from ND and that's Lost Legacy. If you check that gif is quite good and blends really well most of the time.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Uncharted 3 has a lower quality in the melee combat animations. It's a game from 2011 and developed on Ps3 so it's quite good if you think about that.

Uncharted 4 has good melee combat and The Lost Legacy is even better. You should stick to the latest work from ND and that's Lost Legacy. If you check that gif is quite good and blends really well most of the time.
I'm not really a fan of mashing a button and watching a random canned animation come out without any timing or skill from my part. Not sure what TLL does that makes that better.

But those attempts at "brawling"-style combat in UC3 and UC4 just feel like the worst, like trawling through mud. Like whoever was in charge of this aspect of combat design just fell asleep at the wheel.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
UC LL still looks like it takes too much control away from the player to allow for the animations to finish. This has been an issue with Uncharted controls in general since the beginning but UC4 was much better than the PS3 entries at least with this.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a fan of mashing a button and watching a random canned animation come out without any timing or skill from my part. Not sure what TLL does that makes that better.

But those attempts at "brawling"-style combat in UC3 and UC4 just feel like the worst, like trawling through mud. Like whoever was in charge of this aspect of combat design just fell asleep at the wheel.

Give the list of third person shooters that nail down melee combat or have even close the same variety of blended animations

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Give the list of third person shooters that nail down melee combat or have even close the same variety of blended animations

There is no other.. that's why I don't get the negativy towards ND games from some people.

They are 1 step ahead since years ago in the animation + responsive gameplay department. No one is even close to the quality they achieve so I guess that list won't come any time soon.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018

Having 2 SKUs is not an issue. Those who don't want the trouble of downloading a patch can purchase a PS5 SKU which will run straight out of box with all bells and whistles. But those who bought a PS4 copy can do the same with a patch. It is like GOTY Editions v Vanilla Edition + DLC on top.

Sony will get huge backlash if the upgrades are distinguished between patches and SKU but they are smart enough to know that, they don't want negative PR associated at the time of a launch of a new console especially when their rival company would be offering those upgrades for free for few years now.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you have a point there since it this aspect feels bad in almost any TPS that implements it. So I guess I should cut ND some slack. :P

Although I would say I infinitely prefer TLOU1's melee combat, as equally simple as it may be. It just feels better to kill people with a board or a bat or whatever, and it's quick and to the point.

Doing melee stuff in Vanquish feels pretty good, although that's mostly a one and done attack since it makes you overheat immediately after.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you have a point there since it this aspect feels bad in almost any TPS that implements it. So I guess I should cut ND some slack. :P

Although I would say I infinitely prefer TLOU1's melee combat, as equally simple as it may be. It just feels better to kill people with a board or a bat or whatever, and it's quick and to the point.

Doing melee stuff in Vanquish feels pretty good, although that's mostly a one and done attack since it makes you overheat immediately after.

I don't think there's many that even do. I don't know any other shooter that has a contextual melee system other than Sleeping Dogs maybe?

I've said this before, but the Gears of War series could have really added something like this to enhance the brutality and make the game play feel more dynamic. That's where it should naturally go. I remember back when I played on Gears of War 1 on my Xbox 360, the chainsaw animation got really old for me after seeing the same thing 10 times.

Third person shooters have an opportunity to make things so much more dynamic and it results in the clear advantage as opposed to first person shooters. The focus for these games is still about general movement and shooting. These aren't third person brawlers. When you have a whole melee system this sort of ramps up the intensity of certain moments in combat, everything just feels more fresh and unique and way more interesting to play. Add in realistic hit reactions and it just makes things more satisfying. Multiple playthroughs are still fun. At around 3:05 of this video, I don't think I've ever seen that throat punch ever happen in any of my playthroughs:

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having 2 SKUs is not an issue. Those who don't want the trouble of downloading a patch can purchase a PS5 SKU which will run straight out of box with all bells and whistles. But those who bought a PS4 copy can do the same with a patch. It is like GOTY Editions v Vanilla Edition + DLC on top.

Sony will get huge backlash if the upgrades are distinguished between patches and SKU but they are smart enough to know that, they don't want negative PR associated at the time of a launch of a new console especially when their rival company would be offering those upgrades for free for few years now.

There's a big difference between a patch just giving a game 4k 60fps and an actual remaster which improves character models, textures, lighting, even adding new tech like ray tracing possibly.

If Naughty Dog go the whole hog and remaster the game beyond what's possible in a mere patch, like they did with the first Remastered, I don't see the issue with reselling it on the PS5.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Quite the opposite. No better way to appreciate the animations than running at 60fps.
I meant to quote the post above, but I'm saying that I don't think a remaster would be necessary for TloU 2. Being able to run this B/C with an enhanced patch at 4K, 60 FPS or higher (with VRR) would be glorious enough.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I don't think there's many that even do. I don't know any other shooter that has a contextual melee system other than Sleeping Dogs maybe?

I've said this before, but the Gears of War series could have really added something like this to enhance the brutality and make the game play feel more dynamic. That's where it should naturally go. I remember back when I played on Gears of War 1 on my Xbox 360, the chainsaw animation got really old for me after seeing the same thing 10 times.

Third person shooters have an opportunity to make things so much more dynamic and it results in the clear advantage as opposed to first person shooters. The focus for these games is still about general movement and shooting. These aren't third person brawlers. When you have a whole melee system this sort of ramps up the intensity of certain moments in combat, everything just feels more fresh and unique and way more interesting to play. Add in realistic hit reactions and it just makes things more satisfying. Multiple playthroughs are still fun. At around 3:05 of this video, I don't think I've ever seen that throat punch ever happen in any of my playthroughs:
Gears has expanded it's melee options quite a bit with each iteration. I believe ND even based the grab in TLoU on meat shielding which was introduced in Gears 2.

The issue with mixing melee and firearms is the limited amount of controller inputs. Melee tends to be confined to a single input in shooters since jumping, clambering, cover, use, dodging, zooming, shooting and throwing grenades take up most of the inputs. IMO a melee system needs inputs for regular and heavy attacks, blocking and parrying to have a satisfying amount of depth.