• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you stand now?

• Yes, the dogs have done it.

Votes: 905 63.9%
  • No, I’m a cat person.

Votes: 199 14.0%
  • The dogs have done it and I'm a cat person.

Votes: 313 22.1%

• Total voters

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Maybe I used the wrong term, but I meant the way the game overall looks. It has it's moments (especially the vista's and the weather are very good) and it's one of the best open world games out there, but it mostly looks pretty pale and the same to me (except for the snow area's. You say it never looks repetitive, I think it's the most repetitive open world there is, purely based on colors/locations. That's fine by the way, because that is the setting, but I liked the art direction and general use of color better in Horizon and also in the latest Assassins Creed installments. I also think HDR looks better in those games. RDR2 looks pretty boring to me, overall. Technically it's the most impressive open world game out there, but if I look at, for example, the rock textures in Horizon, I like those better.

I agree with jett on this one, I like how good looks Horizon and I can understand someone prefer the art direction but production value is better than any open world in RDR2 or GTA 5. This is the result of 8 years development with a game credit with more than 3000 peoples.

For exemple many part of HZD are generated procedurally out of the most important part of the game. In RDR 2 everything is handcrafted same with manual LOD and minimal popin. On tecnhical side the unified volumetric system is top notch. Art is well done.

The Open world itself is far ahead of other open world.

And I did not play the game but I believe people when they say the story is great and probably better than HZD(*).

This is more on responsive animation, gameplay and game mission design they need to improve and the job is beginning with RDR online next patch and they heard critics and I am sure they will work for having a great GTA 6.

This is completely off topic.

* I like the story too but they can improve it a lot

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Usually when one does a downgrade video, they tend to compare the same scenes before and after to show if there's been any kind of downgrade.

That video above is hilarious in how little it attempts to do anything beyond a clickbait title. Come on, fam.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Usually when one does a downgrade video, they tend to compare the same scenes before and after to show if there's been any kind of downgrade.

That video above is hilarious in how little it attempts to do anything beyond a clickbait title. Come on, fam.

Spot on. I'm not even sure what they were trying to compare in said video.

Flagadast

Sep 25, 2019
giphy.gif

182-Red-Dead-2.gif

giphy.gif

RedFrequentAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

PQ8lTUI.gif

I think some people here are forgetting really really quick how insane Red Dead 2 just looks. Doesn't seem to me at all that TLOU2 will top it.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

182-Red-Dead-2.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

PQ8lTUI.gif

I think some people here are forgetting really really quick how insane Red Dead 2 just looks. Doesn't seem to me at all that TLOU2 will top it.

Even with this unfair comparison because of the size difference, fidelity already looks higher than RDR2 here.

edit: horse riding animation on 2nd gif looks pretty stellar in TLOU2.

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

182-Red-Dead-2.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

PQ8lTUI.gif

That is a rather partial comparison. RDR 2 does look great indeed, but the gifs you used for the TLoU2 are cherry picked to downplay the visuals. In the trailer the city scene looked as or more impressive than any scene I saw playing RDR 2. Also as good as that game looks, it absolutely has limitations in terms of topographhic geometry (cliffs are relatively block). Deathstranding for instance looks quite a lot stronger on that side of things.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That is a rather partial comparison. RDR 2 does look great indeed, but the gifs you used for the TLoU2 are cherry picked to downplay the visuals. In the trailer the city scene looked as or more impressive than any scene I saw playing RDR 2. Also as good as that game looks, it absolutely has limitations in terms of topographhic geometry (cliffs are relatively block). Deathstranding for instance looks quite a lot stronger on that side of things.
[/QUOTE
Gifs are from trailer, don't you think ND cherry picked these shots themselves specifically to show off how good visuals are?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
[/QUOTE
Gifs are from trailer, don't you think ND cherry picked these shots themselves specifically to show off how good visuals are?

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Quality of the gifs I said. The city one especially at a decent res looks at least as impressive as the RDR2 panorama...

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Huge fan of tlou2 animations, but euphoria engine is unbeatable in this gen for certain things.

Precanned animation (not matter how numerous or good they can be) can't really beat a dynamic engine with a scheletrical simulation.

And that's why you have a shitload of brutal kill compilation from gta5 and rdr2 and basically nothing for the other games, with euphoria every interaction (npc or protagonist) and every kill is different.

Do people even know what euphoria engine is and what is capable of?

When you are gonna bump against an obstacle with the horse in tlou2 you are not gonna have the shift in weight and the non-scripted reaction of rdr2, just to make a simple example.

Again huge fan of ND animation and combat (that's basically the only reason i have for buying their games), but top tier precanned can't beat a dynamic system, or at least not in every animation departement.

P.s. Huge lol at people who brings up gears 5 in a discussion about animation, enemy reaction or digital acting...

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
giphy.gif

182-Red-Dead-2.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

PQ8lTUI.gif

I mentioned this in the other thread how well Arthur holds up but looking at the footage released today even the game itself is a step above TLOU2.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
yeah red dead 2 looks considerably better than last of us 2, but I don't even care. Last of us 2 will be amazing and no reason to complain.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even with the new b-roll footage it is hard to judge if the quality is the same as in the 2018 demo. They simply didn't show moments like this:

o1PRvEL.gif

Ellie slamming into the car and then using that momentum of standing up to attack the woman

TR5F5h4.gif

Stunned enemy reacting perfectly to the attack without any noticeable transition

Doesn't mean they don't exist but I don't think we can really make the claim that they're absolutely on the same level yet

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

There is another video, maybe we will see more looking like dodge button and interasction with car or wall

THE LAST OF US PART II: INSIDE THE DEMO
Earlier this week, journalists from all over the globe had their first-ever hands-on with The Last of Us Part II. Alongside their in-depth coverage and impressions you can find online right now, later today at 1:00pm PT, we'll be releasing The Last of Us Part II: Inside the Demo, a special behind-the-scenes video where we'll showcase new footage and share more details into the story and gameplay featured in the two new demo levels. Check back here or keep your eyes peeled on the PlayStation YouTube channel and our social feeds later today to check it out.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I mentioned this in the other thread how well Arthur holds up but looking at the footage released today even the game itself is a step above TLOU2.
Yep, lou2 is far from rdr2 level
yeah red dead 2 looks considerably better than last of us 2, but I don't even care. Last of us 2 will be amazing and no reason to complain.

Am I missing some inside joke here?

You guys honestly think RDR2 looks better than this:

shooty.gif

stealth-takedown.gif

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Today b-roll looks way less impressive graphics and animation wise to me. It was expected though. Honestly didnt loom that much better than Uncharted 4.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
kind of testament to how far they are ahead when it comes to the animation game. People will still think that most of the stuff in the 1st gameplay reveal is fake after what we've seen today. I guess they'll have to just wait for more gameplay impressions or wait until the game is out.

Today b-roll looks way less impressive graphics and animation wise to me. It was expected though. Honestly didnt loom that much better than Uncharted 4.

Animation is definitely on par. I think we just haven't seen enough contextual melee situations. Also, we haven't seen enough variety in lightning to see if there are any major differences from the first gameplay reveal.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

182-Red-Dead-2.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

PQ8lTUI.gif

RDR2 looks impressive, is also a open world which is even more impressive, i still think TLOU2 looks better for what we have seen thus far, it should given it's a more linear game.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
kind of testament to how far they are ahead when it comes to the animation game. People will still think that most of the stuff in the 1st gameplay reveal is fake after what we've seen today. I guess they'll have to just wait for more gameplay impressions or wait until the game is out.

Animation is definitely on par. I think we just haven't seen enough contextual melee situations. Also, we haven't seen enough variety in lightning to see if there are any major differences from the first gameplay reveal.

I don't think there is anything in the recent footage that compares to the first trailer in terms of animation. There were either no situations that would have the same seamless animations, or they simply aren't there.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the animations in the new footage are still impressive but they're clearly not quite as good as they were in the reveal trailer. Part of that may just be the character being controlled by "normal" players, not someone who was concerned with trying to make the game look good but yeah.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is anything in the recent footage that compares to the first trailer in terms of animation. There were either no situations that would have the same seamless animations, or they simply aren't there.

I think the gif where she cocks the gun and shoots at the dog in prone position looks similar to the 1st gameplay reveal where she shoots the woman under the car.

There were also moment in the 1st gameplay impressions where animations when shooting standard human enemies looked the same as what we've seen today.

We just haven't seen enough the meaty combat to make a declaration. It should be also noted that lighting is much different between the footage.

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 was my GOTY 2018 but..
giphy.gif

You lot can't be serious..

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Folks, could we not compare RDR2 to TLoU Pt 2 to put one dev down to elevate another? Hundreds of people worked thousands of hours cumulatively to bring you RDR2 that does some most meticulously detailed and plethora of animations the scale of the game makes it that much more impressive. ND are doing the same as well using motion-matching tech to bring their characters to life.

I think it is not so much that ND have fallen behind (which they have not) but easier to develop platforms and increased budgets have brought other studios on par with ND. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with these studios iterating on their previous works as well as other studios to push the limits of tech as combined they are the rising tide the raises all ships- the medium as a whole.

Here's horses for you:

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017

Nice hyperbole. I think they are pretty close except one is open world obviously. Give ND the additional thousands of man hours and they could achieve the same thing. But honestly I don't think they would if they could. Open world wouldn't allow them to tell the narrative they want.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing some inside joke here?

You guys honestly think RDR2 looks better than this:

shooty.gif

stealth-takedown.gif
Better animations than RDR2? If the released game looks like that, then yes. Still, RDR2 has better graphics which will be even more true if the PC releases (and undeniable if RTX support is in).

So to clarify, when people say ''X game looks better'', lets clarify if we mean just the animation or the overall visual quality.