• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you stand now?

• Yes, the dogs have done it.

Votes: 905 63.9%
  • No, I’m a cat person.

Votes: 199 14.0%
  • The dogs have done it and I'm a cat person.

Votes: 313 22.1%

• Total voters

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I made this thread some time back asking era members if they thought ND would be able to deliver comparable AI and animation quality come launch.

We are less than 6 months away from release and the animation work is looking just as good, if not slightly better.

firste929e15d64b07d42.gif

secondf52c9e9d0c7db931.gif

third881fb2ac352d57bb.gif

What do you good people think?

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
It's a trailer, it's always going to look good. It has to.

Although I've got no doubt that the finished product will look as good, so no worries there.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i expect it to hold up, but we need to see proper uninterrupted gameplay to make a fair comparison, imo.
the most impressive parts of the 2018 gameplay were the melee scenes and how ellie went in and out of combat, everything was context sensitive

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it is impossible to compare it right now since we cant see the transitions (every gameplay bit we got was like 1sec each), but yeah currently it looks just as good

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks absolutely incredible. I'd argue that alongside RDR2, Uncharted 4 already has among the best animations in gaming, so the only way to go is up.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Best looking game by far. Best animations by far.

And will be the best game soon.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We're supposedly getting gameplay footage from different outlets in a couple of days, that would've been a better time to make a thread of this type, for some proper comparisons. Although I imagine it will look just as good, I'm interested in seeing how the animation system copes in an average gameplay scenario, rather than an ND developer going through a vertical slice in a highly specific manner.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I am more curious about the animation transition which we haven't really seen in this trailer I feel?
But what they showed at this trailer looks amazing.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Your premise for the past thread was about the retail/launch build. I might be mistaken, but we don't yet have the retail/launch build. Is this not a premature conclusion?

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
The preview embargo ends 11 a.m. EST on Thursday, right? ND says that gameplay will be shown.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, is there a game with better animation in whatever genre The Last of Us is in (Third Person Survival Horror?)?

Of course it's going to have great animations, it's Naughty Dog.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
We'll get the gameplay stuff Thursday when the preview embargo is up.

Trailer looked amazing, and even in those small snippets you can see some of the motion matching stuff happening (e.g. the axe attack), and that dog looked to be carrying some kind of pack on it - also not infected.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most realistic game I've ever seen, going off what has been shown to date. Amazing.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
eh i dunno. i dont see any scene where we have a direct comparison to the reveal trailers close up of how impacts effect ai AND how their facial animations change as well. i havent looked too closely yet though AND its been quite a while since i watched that initial trailer AND it could be (again) just a lack of a direct comparison in the new trailer. no reason at this point to think its been downgraded but i also don't see evidence that it matches (or exceeds) it.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
If this takes 20 years to load like Days Gone, then I'mma be sad. The animation is amazing either way, though.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This is motion matching matured to the tail/spear end of the generation brought forth by ND who have been known for their previous animation works. It is both astonishing to behold and yet not entirely surprising. Uncharted 4 & TLL, both in SP and MP have top tier player animations.

Kudos to where it is due. However, we need to see more before making conclusive statements.

In the interim to further trailers and eventual release, there will be plenty of chatter from those who will see the long gameplay demo. Suffice it to say, they will most likely talk about the animation quality for us to hear and read.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This looks great. But the animations in the E3 gameplay looked beyond anything else. It wasn't simply the animation in itself, it was the perfect flow of everything that made it feel almost like real life. Those gifs are simply great animations.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
There were a couple of moments on the horses that looked a little stiff, but otherwise impressive.

The fight sequences are honestly too quickly cut together to get a real picture; we need to see what the animation blending looks like. In the E3 trailer it was practically invisible, which verges on too good to be true.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
We're supposedly getting gameplay footage from different outlets in a couple of days, that would've been a better time to make a thread of this type, for some proper comparisons. Although I imagine it will look just as good, I'm interested in seeing how the animation system copes in an average gameplay scenario, rather than an ND developer going through a vertical slice in a highly specific manner.

I'll update this thread on Thursday :)

Your premise for the past thread was about the retail/launch build. I might be mistaken, but we don't yet have the retail/launch build. Is this not a premature conclusion?

If you don't consider that this is a release trailer, and we'll get more footage on Thursday then yeah. I doubt the animation will change from the preview event.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I'm curious also, hope we don't get just B roll but actual gameplay from journo's.