• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Creator of HBO's Chernobyl (and writer of the upcoming Borderlands movie, directed by Eli Roth and starring Cate Blanchett), Craig Mazin, is executive producing and writing the series alongside Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann and recently, in an interview with Discussing Film, Johan Renck, who won an Emmy for directing all five episode of Chernobyl, confirmed he is on board to executive produce The Last of Us and direct "at least" the pilot episode.

www.ign.com

The Last of Us HBO Series Finds First Episode Director - IGN

Emmy-winning Chernobyl helmer to kick off Joel and Ellie's adventure.

Craig's next series will be The Last of Us for HBO. Would you want to direct that series and collaborate with him again?

JR:
I'm an executive producer on it and attached to it. It's an ongoing TV series. So that's not something that I will be able to take on to that extent, but I'm part of that series and I will be directing at least the pilot. Then we'll see how it goes on further. I mean, both Craig and I, we are working with each other again and we will work with each other on other things because we like each other.

discussingfilm.net

Johan Renck on the Success of 'Chernobyl' & the Status of HBO's 'The Last of Us' - Exclusive Interview

Emmy Award-Winning director Johan Renck looks back on 'Chernobyl' and gives an update on HBO's adaptation of 'The Last of Us'.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
This is going to be awesome.

Cast me as an infected, HBO 👋

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Forgot that's happening. Still feel like it's not really necessary if it's just again about Joel and Ellie

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like HBO and Naughty Dog are making all the right decisions with series. I'm excited.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Im so excited for a good tv show based on a famous videogame. It opens potential for more and more investments. The Witcher was good but not amazing.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Being a director of a first episode is a big deal. That director gets to set the tone of the entire show, and also gets bigger financial reward during the entire lifespan of the show [original run, disc sales, re-runs, syndication, etc].

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This will be mediocre at best and people will say it's great, just like Castlevania and Witcher.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I hope the action scenes are good...

I still want the close-range shotgun to the face with it's thunderous SFX just like in the game.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're actually doing this? Why? Like I like of all series they choose like the zombie one

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
I'd rather they have an original story in the Last of Us universe than try and adapt the first game.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if this is supposed to be a retelling of the 1st game, 2nd game, or a brand new story in the universe?

Wonder if it'll have Joel and Ellie if it's a new story in the universe?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wait, there is going to be a Borderlands movie directed by Eli Roth? That is the right combination of awfulness I guess.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Seems like such a missed opportunity to just retell the first game. I'd much much rather a new story in the universe with the odd cameo here and there.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Forgot that's happening. Still feel like it's not really necessary if it's just again about Joel and Ellie
There are millions of people who would never pick up that game let alone own a PlayStation or have any interest in video games what so ever.

fuck i don't even like the gameplay because it's typical naughty dog controls. But I'm excited as hell for this.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Not really a fan of the whole idea. Or I get that it's nice that people who don't play videogames will get a chance to experience this story in a format other than as a 6-hour YT video, but personally I have zero interest seeing other people portray Joel and Ellie.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
I'm so hyped for this. Also I'm glad they're retelling the story, now I can share the narrative of The Last of Us with my friends and family who don't game

Alienware

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Italy
Great to see them together again back at it after Chernobyl.

It would be cool if they used color blind casting and chose Black or POC actors to play Joel and Ellie.

Yeah, imagine Idris Elba as Joel. That would be fire.

This will be mediocre at best and people will say it's great, just like Castlevania and Witcher.

Firstly, Castlevania is much better than The Witcher and not mediocre at all.
Secondly, the talent attached to the HBO's project is several magnitude better than the talent attached to those two projects, so really apples and oranges comparison right there.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Chernobyl was absolutely fucking incredible so I don't know how anyone can see this isn't going to be at least great, perhaps excellent. HBO is a big deal. They rarely put out crap.

May 19, 2020
There's such a low standard for video game adaptations that even a mediocre series will be heralded as the second coming.