• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't see this posted but it's been going around the TLOU Factions subreddit and some of my friends are talking about it, so I thought I'd post it here. Sorry if it's old or I missed the thread today.

Supposedly the footage is from around March. It looks like alpha footage, so at least at the time they were probably quite far away from from having anything real, I'd say more than 12 months out if I were to guess based on builds I've seen like this in the past.

In any case, I think what's most interesting here are the UI elements.

At the top left it shows a 'players icon' with a question mark. Next to this is a skull icon. For those unaware, this is the typical format of keeping track of the players kill count, and how many players are left in a battle royale game.

hLPoAQy.png

This is the same UI element from Apex Legends.

EMNTbkj.png

The other hint is the compass at the right side of the UI, typically you don't have a compass in traditional small scale MP. Compass does however, help for orientation on larger scale maps.

Thought folks would be interested.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
:O

It's also kind of hard to see but in the menu it does also say 2v2 Encounter.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
yeah this was leaked alongside all the other footage back in april

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
I've said before that naughty dog should create a battle royal mode for TLoU. It would be huge. Im not surprised that this might have a battle royal mode.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I was gonna post this but was unsure of the veracity lol. I didn't know it already leaked since I dodged leaks like Jiren prior to release. I can't wait for it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Hope the question mark on player count somehow doesn't imply a BR mode but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Shame, original TLOU multiplayer was already amazing.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
I want Factions 2. I just want TLOU factions with the updated tech/animations on ps5 with 60 fps haha.

BR would be interesting with no weapons and infected on the map.. clickers, boomers, the works

Oct 25, 2017
Ughhh.........

I was hoping for something maybe a little more ambitious than a BR game.

Something more like the division. You have a big open city and you go out and do shit in it, there are missions, etc. There are other players in the world, you can be hostile or not, there are infected roaming around, etc.

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
I still want my traditional TDM for factions but I totally agree with others here that a battle royale mode for Factions would be really really cool. It's already got survival and crafting mechanics built in even.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
yup, saw the video in a huge compilation of the rest of the leaks.

Hm, I saw a few 12 second videos before, but folks in the subreddit say they've never seen this one before. One of my friends is a mod on the sub and hadn't seen it either. If it was up before I think a lot of folks must have missed it.

www.reddit.com

r/thelastofusfactions - Here's the leaked Factions gameplay from March 2020

78 votes and 50 comments so far on Reddit

It's definitely footage that was taken at the same time as the older footage though.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
:O

It's also kind of hard to see but in the menu it does also say 2v2 Encounter.

Yeah it does, it also says something about co-operative play...

2 vs 2 encounter could just be the name of a playtest scene. Though it could also indicate a wide variety of game modes. Co-op might indicate some PVE style modes.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PvP with random PvE elements would be incredible.
especially for a game like TLOU 2. I just hope we don't control the infected.

I can imagine a map that is the size of downtown seattle with a group 2-3 with a total of 10-15 teams. Pretty much have to stealth your way into areas cause of clickers in order to get resources.

maybe not even have the map shrink cause I don't think it needs to be that big.

and I hope it isn't just BR either. If it's gonna be a standalone that you pay money for (would be amazing if its free and this is Sony's answer to Halo Infinite's mp) then we're gonna need more than just a BR mode. I expect the same modes from the first too.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Omfg. LOU BR. I AM SO IN!

This can be such a big title for PS5's launch. F2P BR, and MP behind the paywall like COD does it

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ughhh.........

Something more like the division. You have a big open city and you go out and do shit in it, there are missions, etc. There are other players in the world, you can be hostile or not, there are infected roaming around, etc.
not to kick you down or anything, but wanting something ambitious and then mentioning the division, or dayz type survival games doesn't really sound that ambitious either.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Still looks pretty early. PS4 controller/prompts could indicate a crossgen release or it just might be a placeholder.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I suspect this footage is at least a year old if not more by this point. Last of Us battle royale? Fucking bring it!

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Ughhh.........

That'd have to be a totally new spinoff.

BR mode is the way to go. Make it F2P and itll attract a good playerbase:

-No major 3rd Person BR Games. This includes all the gameplay elements from single player -- sniper shots that knock you back, hiding in grass, etc.
-They can add in Infected like Black Ops and expand on that
-Crafting system
-Limited ammo and a focus on single shot weapons where you have to carefully pick your shots. This is where the MP really shines

I think the game has a lot going for it for a TPP BR game.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I didn't look at any leaks, so this MP stuff is all new to me!

Tks for sharing, looks hype! I'm not into BR games, but Fall Guys is quickly becoming my jam and I do love TLOU2 gameplay.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
WOW BR mode would be INSANE imagine the world filled with infected to deal with at the same time other factions.
With a random spawn point would be nice (since i can't imagine a plane dropping people on this world...)

But keep regular factions too.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Tlou2 core mechanics is already better than pubg. It can definitely be a pubg killer...

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
I need this in my life, I couldn't have loved the gameplay in the main game more so I've been hoping that this would eventually be a thing.

A BR makes so much sense for TLOU too, just gimme some better character customization and I'm fuckin goood!

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Here's to hoping BR is just a mode and we get and improved take on the traditional modes from the first Factions.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
a BR styled game based on factions using the system and mechanics and map design of TLOU2 could be great!

Make it around 30 - 40 players per match with a reasonable sized map.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was really hoping ND would go the way they did with Uncharted 4, using characters from the actual game with their VA rather than faceless grunts. In this day and age, having 'your character' is such an awesome feature online. I main one guy in Rogue right now for example and don't feel the need to switch. Absolutely loved what they offered in characters and VA during U4 MP as well, it just feels good to pick a specific character.
Ughhh.........

No thanks. That type of game would probably take a good 2 years after TLOU Part II. I want Factions with the gameplay loops and map/encounter design they've created for the sequel.

BR is fine I guess, nice to have the option.
Here's to hoping BR is just a mode and we get and improved take on the traditional modes from the first Factions.

I don't think they're dumb enough to get rid of Factions entirely just to have BR. I probably wouldn't even buy it if that's the case. Lotta of the maps in the single player looked like they were designed with Factions in mind so I would be shocked if it's not in.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this being leaked months ago but it was deleted before I had the chance to see.