• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Out of those only Half Life Alyx is really good. The rest are mediocre.
opencritic.com

Crusader Kings III Reviews

Crusader Kings III is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 93 critics, with an overall average score of 90. It's ranked in the top 1% of games and recommended by 99% of critics.
opencritic.com

Hades Reviews

Hades is one of the best games of 2020, with amazing worldbuilding, characters, and gameplay that will keep you coming back for hours.
opencritic.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator Reviews

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a technical marvel, with an insane amount of polish, incredible realism, and phenomenal controls.
opencritic.com

DOOM Eternal Reviews

DOOM Eternal builds on the 2016 reboot by further polishing every aspect of it's gameplay, visuals and soundtrack to create the ultimate DOOM experience.
opencritic.com

Football Manager 2020 Reviews

Football Manager 2020 is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 31 critics, with an overall average score of 86. It's ranked in the top 5% of games and recommended by 83% of critics.

By whose standards are these "mediocre"?

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad TLOU2 won best audio. Usually goes unnoticed, but overall audio in the game is nothing short of outstanding.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
You're not going to see that many critics falling over themselves to award games like Animal Crossing and Among Us, games with phenomenal popularity, that many awards because it is their job to assess games critically and neither game does well under scrutiny.
Among Us wouldn't be eligible for any awards this year anyways.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The thing is I don't think AC is going to be overlooked for any reason other than it isn't good enough. I do think there is an issue with awards overlooking games, just not hyper popular ones like Animal Crossing. If Animal Crossing was a better game, for example if they'd nailed the social/multiplayer aspects as opposed to making a complete mess of them, it would stand a much greater chance of winning awards.
AC is easily a good enough game to be in the conversation this year and reviews have shown that, and yeah of course everyone's opinion in it will be different it's kind of weird seeing you act as the arbiter of game quality when it's been a very well received game in general, especially when you talk about games nominated for awards needing to be looked at critically to be deserving, as if AC *wasn't* very well received critically...

Anyway, all games have flaws as I said before and I personally think AC deserves any nominations it receives but I feel like some publications and awards shows will do what they tend to and, despite overwhelmingly positive critical reviews, will end up ignoring games in some genres and just end up rewarding the most action-y games for GotY. Doesn't mean those games are bad of course, but it's a very narrow view to have.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Animal crossing will be continuously shafted this year because it doesn't have a primary audience of white males age 15-30. I expect to see a lot of it, especially where critics are involved simply as a consequence of the general employment make up of the sector.
What does colour have to do with anything? TLOU2 certainly doesn't target 15-30 males (of any colour) with its cast of characters. Hence the pathetic backlash from certain segments.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hm, that's really weird to be applying those awards retroactively. Has that been done before?
Honestly TGA isn't a serious affair by any stretch. They're constantly ignoring some strong names in favor of others among the nominees and changing and bending the rules they've set themselves. It's just a popularity contest and something for the pubs to put on the cover of their games.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Do you all think TLOU2 will be as memorable as BOTW may have been? 🤔
Honest question, i'm really curious.
It depends what you mean by "memorable." Obviously both will be remembered for different things.

If you're talking about overall impact on the industry I think BotW will still take it. That game was so important for Nintendo, it singlehandedly jump started the switch by proving its concept and being an amazing game in its own right, while changing gaming's most acclaimed series after THIRTY years.... and going on to becoming the most successful in that series.

TLOU2 was an improvement of what Sony's been doing, while BotW felt like the start of a new and revived Nintendo

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Animal crossing will be continuously shafted this year because it doesn't have a primary audience of white males age 15-30. I expect to see a lot of it, especially where critics are involved simply as a consequence of the general employment make up of the sector.
15-30 white males were pissed off by the game more than any demographic, lol.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
PC, the most vibrant and diverse gaming platform in existence, couldn't do better than a year old port of a PlayStation game. Based.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played TLOU2 or even know much about it because the first game just wasnt my style, but the award is probably well deserved. That said I dont think that Naughty Dog deserved to win studio of the year with all of the crunch problems and their history with racism. Really hoping CDPR doesnt win that award next year, but who knows at this point.

May 7, 2020
So, I decided to finally pull the trigger on publishing this after the game won game of the year. I've been chiseling away at this article for the last 5 months or so and finally got it to a place I'm happy with.
When The Wolves Won't Stop Howling At Night- The Last of Us Part II, A Study In Violence and Sectarian Revenge

Started out as a simple analysis of the game through the lens of contemporary revenge cinema but ballooned into a deep dive of the game, core influences of the series, setbacks of nonlinear storytelling in an inherently linear medium...etc.

Not sure how many people will read it, but I appreciate if anyone takes the time to.

I'm kind of ready to finally be done with the game after finishing this but the awards are well deserved. Even though I haven't played Ghost of Tsushima, I wouldn't have been mad if it took away best visual design either.