• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Very happy to see Hades getting such a top honor. The Last of Us Part II taking home so many awards is also great to see as its my personal GotY.

I would have liked to see Paper Mario take home best Nintendo game, but I understand why Animal Crossing got it (despite my severe grievances with its lack of QoL features).

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
everyone loves Mads Mikkelsen more than Alyx HalfLif

SpitefulOnlyHound-size_restricted.gif

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I can't argue with TLoU2 taking Storytelling or GOTY even though I personally think Hades is a lock for both. But giving Naughty Dog studio of the year after all the crunch stuff just hurts, man.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Congratulations to the Naughty Dog team for the wins!
While the game might have fallen quite a bit short for me, it is hard to deny the amount of effort behind it, especially from a technical standpoint. No wonder a lot of people have found it a truly valuable experience.
Not least, I hope to soon see the effects of how it's successfully broken the ice on representation in the AAA sphere.
On the other hand, I'm hoping for the day when Studio of the Year is decided by worker unions.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished The Last of Us Part II today. There were times when I felt we should have played as Abby's story first, then Ellie's. And that final stretch of the game, I was pretty much wanting the game to finish already so bad. BUT THEN that last encounter happened. Then the ending. Never have a game that I felt became a slog and wanted to end already be the reason it works so well. It all worked so well. So yeah, put me in the group that thinks TLOUptII is a masterpiece and completely deserves GOTY haha

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Game of the Gen for me. An amazing ride from start to finish.. just something every gamer should experience.

50564816212_a82ac573f1_k.jpg

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
TLOU2 deserves all the awards it ends up getting. What a ride, and what a bold direction for ND to take the series when they could've coasted releasing the same game with prettier graphics.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Lol love all these reaction gifs from Sony's studios. Keep em coming!

Hades is fantastic so no surprises there. Tlou1 is one of my all time favorites and I held off on the sequel to play on my ps5. Can't wait!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every Golden Joystick Award 2020 winner
  • Best Storytelling - The Last of Us 2
  • Best Multiplayer Game - Fall Guys
  • Best Visual Design - The Last of Us 2
  • Best Game Expansion - No Man's Sky: Origins
  • Mobile Game of the Year - Lego Builder's Journey
  • Best Audio - The Last of Us 2
  • Best Indie Game - Hades
  • Still Playing - Minecraft
  • Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
  • Esports Game of the Year - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Best New Streamer / Broadcaster - iamBrandon
  • Best Family Game - Fall Guys
  • Best Gaming Community - Minecraft
  • Best Performer - Sandra Saad (Kamala Khan)
  • Breakthrough Award - Innersloth (Among Us)
  • Outstanding Contribution - The Gaming Industry
  • PC Game of the Year - Death Stranding
  • Best Gaming Hardware - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
  • PlayStation Game of the Year - The Last of Us 2
  • Xbox Game of the Year - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Nintendo Game of the Year - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Most Wanted Game - God of War: Ragnarok
  • Critic's Choice - Hades
  • Ultimate Game of the Year - The Last of Us 2

www.gamesradar.com

Every winner at the Golden Joystick Awards 2020

See who won what during this year's show

Haven't played Hades yet, but otherwise I'd agree with every one of those category winners. Though Still Playing for me would probably be Apex Legends or Warzone, and I don't know if Demon's Souls Remake was eligible, but I might consider that for Sound Design too.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Hades is a fantastic game also.. I love everything about it. Same happens with FF7R for me. Both are amazing experiences and everyone should play them.

The thing is that TLOU 2 is in some way on another level.. Is hard to explain but that game is just something that you will remember maybe forever.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hades is a fantastic game also.. I love everything about it. Same happens with FF7R for me. Both are amazing experiences and everyone should play them.

The thing is that TLOU 2 is in some way on another level.. Is hard to explain but that game is just something that you will remember maybe forever.
Part II is up there for me with Metroid Prime and Bioshock for games that are just forever unforgettable and special to me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not one to care about awards, but studio of the year for a place that crunches like hell? Fascinating, would be quite interested to learn about their reasoning around this choice. :)

Historically I don't think people vote studio of the year based on working practices, rather contribution, eg quality of work and output. Generally whatever game wins GOTY wins Studio of the Year.

Despite the crunch, there are other valid reasons for voting Naughty Dog, not just for the quality of their work, but also their class leading accessibility options in TLOU2 (that a visually impaired person can play through it from start to finish is an incredible achievement), not to mention the representation in the game, eg arguably the first ever major AAA title to have an openly female lesbian protagonist/main character who's sexuality isn't player choice determined, and also a transgender lead too.

Last edited:

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Congrats to Naughty Dog. TLoU 2 deserves all the awards.

Naughty Dog is the best in the industry. Let the haters cry.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The Last of Us Part II is one of those once in a generation type of experiences, it's that good imo. Congrats and well deserved ND.

I need to try Hades. Hopefully once it comes out on either Xbox or PlayStation.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Historically I don't think people vote studio of the year based on working practices, rather contribution, eg quality of work and output. Generally whatever game wins GOTY wins Studio of the Year.

Despite the crunch, there are other valid reasons for voting Naughty Dog, not just for the quality of their work, but also their class leading accessibility options in TLOU2 (that a visually impaired person can play through it from start to finish is an incredible achievement), not to mention the representation in the game, eg arguably the first ever major AAA title to have an openly female lesbian protagonist/main character who's sexuality isn't player choice determined, and also a transgender lead too.
Yea, it's a more conflicting thing with nuance to discuss. Geoff basically added the accessibility category because of how innovative ND was with this. We saw the capcom leak of how the game already is influencing other studios with lgbt representation which is obviously huge.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Well deserved for TLOU2. Hope the haters suffer more lol.
Also I thought someone from TLOU2 would've won the best performer too. Great performance all around.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Studio of the year is basically just a "who made the GOTY" award.

It ain't a who treated its workers the best award.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I think the game absolutely deserves it because it's an incredible game through and through. On the other hand, I wish it didn't take so much crunch to pull that off.

And on the third hand, I will absolutely defend this win if it means salty manbabies on the internet are getting mad that this game is getting so much recognition.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Studio of the year is basically just a "who made the GOTY" award.

It ain't a who treated its workers the best award.

The only thing I can really even think of is the extensive accessibility options they implemented. That still doesn't come close to making up for human cost inside the studio itself.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I never played Avengers, but I guess the voice actress for Kamala Khan must've hit it out of the park. I thought Laura Bailey was a shoe-in after TLOU2.

Well it's a smaller amount of voters compared to the game awards. Last year Control won this one.

Either way, Game Awards will be interesting.
Sounds like these are the awards I should be following then, because Control was my favourite game last year, and TLOU2 was my favourite game this year.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I do not get it. If you don't agree that ND won the Studio of the Year award, you also shouldn't agree that it won Game of the Year.

We all know that ND crunch its workers to achieve what we are playing and enjoying, so celebrating one award and not the other seems hypocrite to me

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I do not get it. If you don't agree that ND won the Studio of the Year award, you also shouldn't agree that it won Game of the Year.

We all know that ND crunch its workers to achieve what we are playing and enjoying, so celebrating one award and not the other seems hypocrite to me

Its a very good game that came at a human cost. These awards are celebrating very different things. One is saying the end product is worthy of praise while the other is the studio as a whole.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Its a very good game that came at a human cost. These awards are celebrating very different things. One is saying the end product is worthy of praise while the other is the studio as a whole.
Naughty Dog won 5 awards, more than any other developer. It makes sense that it won the best studio. People are mixing things up. Naughty Dog winning or not this award won't change anything. Crunch will be still there