• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
No no I get that..I just think I was missing any discussion in here or reddit or discord communities that were saying Death Stranding for PC GOTY lol
to be fair, its not like death stranding had a whole bunch of conversation around it for last years goty, but it still racked up a good bit of awards, going neck and neck with re2 (iirc)

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

This is embarrassing. Fuck these gifs.
giphy.gif

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The Golden Joystick awards are user voted (sans the Critics Choice award). The most "charitable" reading of people voting Naughty Dog as the best studio is that people weren't aware of the conditions.

Ah, for some reason I thought the publication was the one determining these.

Ahsan-cfyow

Nov 24, 2020
I thought Ghost of Tsushima might win something, was personally my favorite combat game this year. I went strictly Samurai only in my playthroughs due to the fluidity of combat and am playing NG+ and Legends right now. Still, well-deserved to all especially both Hades and TLOU2, am currently playing Hades and got to Elysium a while ago while TLOU2 was a stunner!!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Really well earned, TLOU2 was unforgettable.

As it stands now it's easily my GOTY but that may change next month with Cyberpunk.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome and well deserved goty!

No botw2 is bizarre, or does a game have to have at least an announced year?
I don't think Starfield and Elden Ring do, so I don't think that's factored. Maybe it was nominationed last year? I don't know if it was though.

Edit: a quick Google and all I can find is Cyberpunk won it, but no noms/runners up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Really really solid choices on all those awards.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you all think TLOU2 will be as memorable as BOTW may have been? 🤔
Honest question, i'm really curious.
Narratively it's possible that TLOUP2 will resonate as long if not much longer than BOTW.

BOTW is a great game and may be something that many open world games strive for, but P2 is that for story telling in games and takes it a step further and adds representation for multiple people who almost never get to have stories about them.

TLOU will be the standard to which women, lesbians/queer, and Trans characters in games are held to, and frankly most will fall far, far short.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
People always vote studio of the year to the one with their GOTY, I think it's more a recognition to the developers after all the hard work and not the brand.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I know it was just a patch but I think 5.3 is my GOTY.

It's not just the patch, FFXIV was nominated for best ongoing game and lost to Minecraft. :<
5.3 was also nominated but for the "best expansion" category.

(And yeah, 5.3 is peak Shadowbringers, I didn't think they could make this expansion better, but they somehow did, lol.)

I hope Ishikawa is the main writer for the next expansion. She did a phenomenal job with Shadowbringers.

Deleted member 27647

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
TLoU2 taking GOTY is fine with me. I wasn't especially fond of it but I know a lot of other people were, so that makes sense.

Giving Naughty Dog the best studio award, though? What are people thinking? It's the one award that could be used to, well, award good studio practices, good outward-facing PR, good working conditions, etc. Instead, it went to the studio most famous for breaking the backs of its employees. Seeing this made me really unhappy.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
There was no reason for DS to win PC game of the year when Half Life: Alyx, Flight Sim, Crusader Kings 3, Doom Eternal, etc all released this year

The PC version of Death Stranding was released this year and it's the definitive version of the game offering a considerable technical leap over the PS4 version. I will not debate whether if this award is fair or not, but I can say that DS (which is basically a delivery simulator with a large focus on management) feels at home on PC. DS is a very immersive game that can be quite addictive, and maybe that's why the game resonated well with the PC crowd.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020

BOTW was completely boring to me and I never got anywhere close to finishing it.

Even sold the Switch lite.

Whats memorable or important to some isn't to others, there is no universal answer to this.

Giving Naughty Dog the best studio award, though? What are people thinking? It's the one award that could be used to, well, award good studio practices, good outward-facing PR, good working conditions, etc. Instead, it went to the studio most famous for breaking the backs of its employees. Seeing this made me really unhappy.
Because your average gamer does not give a single fuck sadly.

Last edited:

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Persnally think the only prizes TLOU2 should win are anything related to Accessibility (which the Golden Joysticks don,t seem to have) and best performance, which I'd give to Ashley Johnson. But at this point it's pretty clear they're gonna win GOTY in every single awards thing so good for them.

I don't think that I will see another game that had such a toxic discourse surrounding it in my lifetime. Fanboys who can't stand the idea of the game being criticized legitimately, screaming, crying, insulting people that didn't like the game. Bigots who jump on the game because it features lesbians, is understanding towards queer people, has a muscular woman and spread hate around the game because of those reasons.

So yeah, it will be memorable. Because from a technical standpoint it's fantastic. And also for the extreme toxicity surrounding it.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
TLoU2 taking GOTY is fine with me. I wasn't especially fond of it but I know a lot of other people were, so that makes sense.

Again the award isn't for studio with best ethics / work conditions etc. Studio of the Year is closely linked to Game of the Year, nothing more.

Again, most people who play games won't even know who Schreier is nevermind any article he put out.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this thread is embarrassing. Sony's output this year has been insane.

Now give me that PS5 update Naughty Dog.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Again the award isn't for studio with best ethics / work conditions etc. Studio of the Year is closely linked to Game of the Year, nothing more.

Again, most people who play games won't even know who Schreier is nevermind any article he put out.

At this point they just shouldn't bother putting up Studio of the Year. Vast majority of people will just vote for the Studio that made the GOTY. Either put one or the other. If that's the rationale behind Studio of the Year in the eyes of everyone, the award serves absolutely no purpose.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is missing out on the biggest revelation: Neil Druckmman cut his hair! End of an era. (I wish I had amazing curls, life isn't fair.)

Congrats to the winners! TloUII and Hades are currently fighting for my GOTY, so I'm happy to see them both do well. It was great to see Hades to pick up the Critic's Choice award. Very pleased for the Ori and No Man's Sky wins, along with Sandra Saad as Kamala Khan. The visual design category is a tough one: TLoUII is breathtaking in a more photorealistic sense, but Hades and Ori are so strong stylistically. I do wish Supergiant Games had won the Studio of the Year category, though, as it's been incredible seeing the journey Hades went on via Early Access to such a strong final product.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017

TLOU2 was the first AAA game I've ever played that let me play as someone like me, to see myself in a character on that level.
BOTW is another game where you play as a yelly anime boy.

I'm not aiming to shit on breath of the wild, I'm sure people had a really good time with it.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
I can let tlou2 get away with goty, especially since cyberpunk is releasing too late to have made it to the voting, but best audio being tlou2 is BS though.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Oh most definitely it will be. Much like the first one, it will pave the way for other studios to explore other narrative options and/or create characters they probably thought impossible to do before TLOU/Part II (and even Uncharted 4). Its definitely why I like the story we got, despite not liking some parts of it. ND at least tries to push the medium instead of playing it safe which they could have 100% done and no one would have bat an eye.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Death Stranding won PC Game of the Year, really? There are so many PC games that would have been a better fit than this. Flight Simulator? Baldur's Gate? Crusader Kings? Half-Life Alyx? C'mon now....

Rest are all well deserved though.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Naughty Dog knew what they were doing with these gifs. They will come in handy now during awards season, lmao.