• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
edit tl;dr: read below, this isn't about the dogs, this is about the marketing.

I've just seen that on twitter, weird marketing choice:

For those having an issue with embed:
EXZIIPMU4AAU1fy

That's not exactly a new feature (killing dogs are in lots of games, and npcs having reactions based on what is happening around them too) and I believe has been talked about in some old articles, but the weird part about this is how this seems to be pushed not even as some kind of moral choice, but as a "see? You're bad" point.

Does anyone know what is the full promotional email about?

edit 2: this is from Gamestop:

Last edited:

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Welp looks like the theme of the game is to make everyone even more uncomfortable than the first game did, lol.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yikes, that's not really something you would want to advertise as a bullet point.

edit: has anyone here gotten that email too? it's hard to know if it's legit or not based on one tweet.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU3 confirmed to be spending $60 and having Naughty Dog hire a guy to come over to your house to punch you in the face repeatedly.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
We referenced many videos of dogs having their skulls caved to properly convey the emotional weight of being the last of us.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Last of Us 3 new features:
-Tie up your enemies and force them to watch as you eat their families.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
C'mon, really?

I remember being @ a lot when I said I don't like killing dogs in games because "who cares it's just a game"

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first is my fave game ever, I'm super excited for two, but holy hell is that the cringiest, edgiest shit I've seen in a while lol

Edit: not the feature itself but that email advertising it

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really can't with the whole fetishism of violence with this game and its marketing.

also who exactly would feel bad about killing a dog to *survive*

Oct 25, 2017
No point in reactionary reverse-trolling.

Anyway, this was known a while ago. The thread title is pretty terrible and intentionally made to cause outrage over something that's been explained pretty well by the developer. But that's no surprise considering ...

www.ign.com

The Last of Us Part 2: How Dogs Change Combat...and Make for Tough, Moral Choices - IGN

The Last of Us Part 2 introduces dogs to combat, forcing players to make some tough choices while playing.

"Dogs are...interesting in that…it feels pretty messed up to kill a dog, especially when you hear it yelp," Druckmann said. "You're left with this situation where, 'OK do I want to ghost this whole setup,' which, you don't have to kill a single dog in this scenario [of the gameplay demo]. Or do you want to say, 'OK, I'm overwhelmed. I could shoot an arrow into this dog, then take out that owner and then go around this way.

So the strategies you can take and the options in the layout are much greater than we've done in the previous game."

Druckmann is referring to the Suburbs level of my recent hands-on preview time with The Last of Us Part 2, which saw me contend with several rounds of enemies and their dogs.

"This group, the WLF that controls Seattle, has bred and trained dogs to sniff out trespassers. You, Ellie, being new to Seattle, are a trespasser. Dogs can pick up on your scent, even though you're hiding somewhere and normally wouldn't be seen, a dog can slowly lead its owner to you," Druckmann explained.

Players can notice that scent in the game's returning "Listen" ability, which allows Ellie to not only see enemies' nearby locations but also notice the scent trail she's left behind. Dogs can be thrown off your trail by tossing a bottle or brick to distract them, or sneakily moving far enough away (and not being caught by others) so that they lose interest.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess those dogs were naughty dogs.

edit: I am really uncomfortable hurting animals that are domesticated in-game. I mean, in real life too, obviously.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
this was featured a lot in the 2019 september press cycle; example:
www.polygon.com

The Last of Us Part 2 and the brutal addition of dogs

Man’s best friend is your worst enemy
Yeah, that's in the OP.
Dogs aren't exactly the weird bit here (it's a classic in games), it's how it's marketed.

edit:
We've known this since the gameplay trailer?
This was known from last year.
see above.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This game is very edgy

But I mean I guess the point is to further add to the impact of each NPC that you're killing lol

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the first game but I have absolutely no desire to play this game after reading that. Jesus Christ—the world is sad and depressing enough right now.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever worded this email should be fired.

Their lifeless furry best friend?... dude why?

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
They mentioned in an early interview that the theme of the game revolves around violence and it's impacts on everyone. So I guess bringing that to the AI makes sense. But it is horrifying

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the way it's executed in a gameplay sense is pretty cool but I wouldn't advertise it.

We've seen this already last year.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out when you're working 100 hours a week you make some pretty dumb decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.