• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
What on earth is challenging and deep about this writing? Please give me examples because I'm not seeing it. All the story really has to say is that

Violence is bad, revenge is a never ending cycle. It takes every opportunity to force the player to do horrible things to people or animals and then play a scene or show you a journal entry about said person or animal to guilt you into feeling horrible for your actions.

There's nothing new or interesting about these tropes. They've been done to death in video games and the only stuff that might be considered "challenging" to the players views is little more than cheap emotional manipulation.

I can't really go in to it without going in on spoilers, and I can't really be bothered talking about it and spoiler tagging everything.

And I was not talking about the overarching story arc since I can't comment on that since I've only played roughly 6 hours. I was talking about "the big thing".

And I never said it was deep, I think they approach the story telling in a kind of new way, they take chances and I can understand that people are pissed they are used to the devs serving up fan service, I think ND took a huge risk, they could have pleased everyone. But people are allowed to have their opinion, but the review bombing is just sad and pathetic since most of the 0 is the usual suspects.

But since I can't really go in to what I like about it without spoiling and so on I'll save it for down the road.

I dunno why people are still getting upset over the review bombing. If you like the game it has absolutely zero impact on your enjoyment or opinion of the game. On top of that, it's given you guys a built in defense, which many of you have been more than happy to use, again, to completely dismiss any criticism and vilify the people who have complaints. It is exactly like TLJ (great movie) and Ghostbusters (fucking garbage) and every other piece of media that gets swept up in this culture war, where valid criticism is constantly drowned out. Literally nothing about the things I dislike with TLoU 2 have ANYTHING to do with ANY of the usual controversy, and yet every time I see these threads it's people talking out of both sides of their mouths with this "supposedly sincere" and "it's ok to dislike, but" nonsense.

The only people the review bombing actually effects are people who don't think it's the greatest thing ever. If you're a 10/10 super fan you've plenty of people who will gladly support your opinion. If you're a piece of shit giving games a 0/10 on Metacritic, you've got plenty of people who will support your idiotic cause. If you're a person who doesn't like the game that you've played up to this point, you get labeled an alt-righter, a homophobe, a transphobe, a console warrior from one side and a hundred variations of a cuck for even buying it on the other.

No, nobody is saying you're a nazi for disliking the game, no one. We are talking about the people who review bomb it because it fits their agenda.

If you don't like the game that's totally fine, don't worry about it. I didn't like TLJ that much and no one have called me any names.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I dunno why people are still getting upset over the review bombing. If you like the game it has absolutely zero impact on your enjoyment or opinion of the game. On top of that, it's given you guys a built in defense, which many of you have been more than happy to use, again, to completely dismiss any criticism and vilify the people who have complaints. It is exactly like TLJ (great movie) and Ghostbusters (fucking garbage) and every other piece of media that gets swept up in this culture war, where valid criticism is constantly drowned out. Literally nothing about the things I dislike with TLoU 2 have ANYTHING to do with ANY of the usual controversy, and yet every time I see these threads it's people talking out of both sides of their mouths with this "supposedly sincere" and "it's ok to dislike, but" nonsense.

The only people the review bombing actually effects are people who don't think it's the greatest thing ever. If you're a 10/10 super fan you've plenty of people who will gladly support your opinion. If you're a piece of shit giving games a 0/10 on Metacritic, you've got plenty of people who will support your idiotic cause. If you're a person who doesn't like the game that you've played up to this point, you get labeled an alt-righter, a homophobe, a transphobe, a console warrior from one side and a hundred variations of a cuck for even buying it on the other.

It's not all or nothing. Ghostbusters getting review bombed was still fucked up because the majority of the review bombing had nothing to do with the movie. Same with TLJ and same with this. How you rate each of these pieces of media is up to you, but why you like or dislike them is important too. There's a chasm between man, I didn't really like *mentions specific gameplay change or story point* vs. "wtf these sjws putting jews and gays into my vidya games" right?

Does it actually matter in the grand scheme of things? No, but it does say something about the web specifically, that a small number of petty fragile babies are so terrified of progress that they are coordinating together like this. And they've done so over and over again.

Context is always important and anytime you engage with someone you'll know based on how they react when you express something that you found legitimate. Keeping in mind that it isn't bigoted.

Seems like you can care about media getting trashed for homophobic reasons without thinking the game deserves a perfect ten.

You said it much more succinctly.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What on earth is challenging and deep about this writing? Please give me examples because I'm not seeing it. All the story really has to say is that

Violence is bad, revenge is a never ending cycle. It takes every opportunity to force the player to do horrible things to people or animals and then play a scene or show you a journal entry about said person or animal to guilt you into feeling horrible for your actions.

There's nothing new or interesting about these tropes. They've been done to death in video games and the only stuff that might be considered "challenging" to the players views is little more than cheap emotional manipulation.
Imagine judging a story based on it's tropes and not the execution.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is the kind of weak critique that was thrown at the original by a vocal minority too. It isn't cheap emotional manipulation, it's simply powerful and emotional story telling. And a story doesn't need to be innovative to be good either.

Is Goodfellas' story and characterisation weak because it's gangster movie 45? No.

Is The Dark Knight's story and characterisation weak because it's super hero film 85? No.

Is Se7en's story and characterisation weak because it's thriller movie no 256? Again, no.

Ultimately, it's all in the execution, and as far as gaming is concerned, TLOU1 and 2 have some of the best executed stories and characters in gaming, and perhaps among the best in the zombie genre of any medium out there.

Also, that you take these stories as manipulative says more about you than it does the media. In other words, instead of actually showing emotion, fear, sadness, empathy, anger, warmth, happiness, trepidation etc for these characters, your first thought is how it's been designed to draw emotion from you. Well duh, it's a drama, that's what it's supposed to do. Your pessimism is wholly misplaced.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
GorgeousHonestDikdik-size_restricted.gif

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This "discussion" is quite something. yes, the story "has been done before", so has pretty much anything. So what? you can still tell that same story with a new spin on it. It's why Greek tragedies are still being told in various forms. This discussiational narrative is so fucking stupid.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of weak critique that was thrown at the original by a vocal minority too. It isn't cheap emotional manipulation, it's simply powerful and emotional story telling. And a story doesn't need to be innovative to be good either.

Is Goodfellas' story and characterisation weak because it's gangster movie 45? No.

Is The Dark Knight's story and characterisation weak because it's super hero film 85? No.

Is Se7en's story and characterisation weak because it's thriller movie no 256? Again, no.

Ultimately, it's all in the execution, and as far as gaming is concerned, TLOU1 and 2 have some of the best executed stories and characters in gaming, and perhaps among the best in the zombie genre of any medium out there.

Also, that you take these stories as manipulative says more about you than it does the media. In other words, instead of actually showing emotion, fear, sadness, empathy, anger, trepidation etc for these characters, your first thought is how it's been designed to draw emotion from you. Well duh, it's a drama, that's what it's supposed to do. Your pessimism is wholly misplaced.
Love the character attack on me to try and prove your point.

Ultimately my views on the narrative execution align with the Polygon and Vice reviews and they say it much better than I could ever articulate.

At this point I'm done talking about it because every criticism you make about the narrative (I don't think it is a bad game) gets met with accusations of being disingenuous or acting in bad faith or in this case have someone question your character itself.

I hope those that do like the game enjoy it. It's obviously not for me at the end of the day.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like you can care about media getting trashed for homophobic reasons without thinking the game deserves a perfect ten.

Why? Not even the developers care. They are literally mocking it on Twitter. The wind isn't going to change direction on the social justice movement over a few thousand stupid user reviews. The train is on the tracks and it's moving full steam ahead. Pity these fools and move on, they're fighting a lost cause and nothing they do or say even matters at this point.

Unless your goal is to amplify it to your own benefit, and many will, what's the point? This issue is only even an issue because a) People, for some odd reason, still think Metacritic user reviews matter or mean anything, and b) you, and many others, have given attention seekers exactly what they want. Every single time one of you legitimize these people, you're just adding fuel to the fire. Fire needs oxygen to breath, turn that off and it dies out.

Just imagine, for a second, 20k neckbreathers making the grand gesture of review bombing this game...but no one took notice. No one said a word about it, everyone pretends it doesn't exist. How long do you think this controversy would last? Yes, there would still be 20k morons on the planet, but they'd be marginalized to the point where they'd lose interest. People are amplifying their platform and giving them a stage to act out by engaging and getting upset.

Or how about this. Instead of getting worked up over these reviews time and time again, take your collective ire and aim it directly at the people who keep enabling this shit. If people spent half as much time going after Metacritic as they did basement dwelling nerds who post nonsense in user reviews, this stuff would stop tomorrow. Enough people could force the change. I'm not mad at these losers, I'm mad at the company that keeps enabling them and the people who keep signal boosting them. I'm also mad at the fact that this broken record never ends and no one ever learns. It's a week or two of flinging shit back and forth and then radio silence until the next event happens and we are right back to square one.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Love the character attack on me to try and prove your point.

Ultimately my views on the narrative execution align with the Polygon and Vice reviews and they say it much better than I could ever articulate.

At this point I'm done talking about it because every criticism you make about the narrative (I don't think it is a bad game) gets met with accusations of being disingenuous or acting in bad faith or in this case have someone question your character itself.

I hope those that do like the game enjoy it. It's obviously not for me at the end of the day.

Edit: Confused the Vice review for the Kotaku one, but the stuff about the Polygon review is relevant.

They don't. The Kotaku critique was essentially that the game was too violent for the journalist, and that's perfectly fine. This level of violence, brutality and tension isn't going to be for everyone. There are people who hate Tarantino movies, Game of Thrones etc for these exact type of reasons. Not every story is going to be for everyone.

The Polygon critique however is for me more flawed, as it's not necessarily just the violence in the story she was criticizing, rather the fact that;

A.) The story didn't present humanity in a better, more loving, less violent light. The writer essentially felt it was an overly pessimistic and dark portrayal of humanity or what people are capable of, and I strongly disagree with that notion and feel it seems like it comes from a perspective of Western or White privilege.

And

B.) That Ellie wasn't exemplary of the writers own ideals, moral ethics etc. To me this is a poor critique and a misunderstanding of the media.

TLOU2 isn't an RPG, eg a game where your character is an avatar of sorts, who's personality, build and story is somewhat or largely shaped by player choices and decision making.

These games aren't about that, rather they're a specific or near specific take on characters in a way the creators intended them, and this manifests itself in design choices throughout the games.

Ellie is her own character with her own sense of morality, justice, convictions etc, and this is a game that explores that. This is a character study of Ellie and what happens to her in this game, and Ellie is not a morally pure character, neither is Joel.

In that sense it doesn't matter what the journalist or I would do in Ellie's situation, we are not Ellie, Ellie is not an avatar of us.

Not enjoying those decisions and story beats is one thing, questioning why they even exist and aren't a manifestation of player choice instead, is completely and utterly missing the point.

It's also imo one of the reasons these types of games tend to have the best executed stories and characters in gaming, since they're so much more focused and developed in that pursuit.

Last edited:

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
This "discussion" is quite something. yes, the story "has been done before", so has pretty much anything. So what? you can still tell that same story with a new spin on it. It's why Greek tragedies are still being told in various forms. This discussiational narrative is so fucking stupid.
I havent finished the game yet, but so far it reminds me of the Orestes plays or maybe Park Chan Wooks Vengeance trilogy, which I am 100% down for.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
They don't. The Vice critique was essentially that the game was too violent for the journalist, and that's perfectly fine. This level of violence, brutality and tension isn't going to be for everyone. There are people who hate Tarantino movies, Game of Thrones etc for these exact type of reasons. Not every story is going to be for everyone.

That isn't even remotely true lol.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A.) The story didn't present humanity in a better, more loving, less violent light. The writer essentially felt it was an overly pessimistic and dark portrayal of humanity or what people are capable of, and I strongly disagree with that notion and feel it seems like it comes from a perspective of Western or White privilege.

The problem with point A is that Jackson exists specifically as an example of a society flourishing by taking care and loving each other, despite their differences

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
This post turned out way longer then I intended. I don't mean to be rude to you or any other poster here. It's just hard for me not to feel like gaming has become increasingly toxic over the past generation. It's a byproduct of games becoming increasingly more inclusive with their characters and designs, but the toxicity is hard to handle sometimes. I guess I just feel like ignoring it isn't working.
It's not wasted, it helps me understand both sides of the coin, thank you again.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
They don't. The Vice critique was essentially that the game was too violent for the journalist, and that's perfectly fine. This level of violence, brutality and tension isn't going to be for everyone. There are people who hate Tarantino movies, Game of Thrones etc for these exact type of reasons. Not every story is going to be for everyone.

uUp77Sn.gif

That is, uh, not what the Vice review says at all

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I have hard time taking complaints that the game has a bad story because if a certain event a few hours in.

Ellie on a revenge mission because of Joel's death is the premise of the game, so if your main complaint is Joel's murder then your complaint isn't that the story is bad, but that you don't like the very premise of the story. To be clear, that's completely fine. If you get to that scene and decide that the game isn't for you, either because it's too dark or you don't like this direction for the series or whatever your reason is then that decision is yours to make. It's important to recognize though that you've only played the prologue and decided that the game isn't for you, which doesn't really give you license to criticize the story of a 20+ hour game that you only played the prologue of.

The Last of Us similarly begins with the main character suffering a tragedy, and it's possible some players were very turned off by the murder of a child at the beginning of that game. If a player played up to Joel's daughter's death and decided that the game was too bleak for them then that too is completely fine, but most people would probably not take them seriously if they said the story of The Last of Us is shit because Joel's daughter dies at the beginning and that's just too sad.

If anything I find the reaction to Joel's murder really interesting specifically because it's not all that different from the opening of the first game besides the crucial difference in that we, the players, have a relationship with Joel whereas we really don't with Joel's daughter. The tragedy Joel carries with him is arguably more painful than Ellie's. Players are reacting differently to these scenes because they're actually experiencing the same grief Ellie is, but unlike Ellie or anyone experiencing the death of a loved one in reality, players are able to simply turn the game off, decide that the game didn't exist in their headcannon, and maybe even leave a 0/10 review on Metacritic as a way to wish the game out of existence.
That said, most of the user reviews are really just hate speech and not a way for people to cope with grief over a video game character.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (4 Months): Dismissing the marginalisation and oppression of white LGBTQ+ people; prior severe ban
Are you saying LGBT people aren't a minority? Really?

Not if they are white as their privilege prevents them from that. Their experiences are marginally different than compare to Black/LGBT+ of Colour who often get pushed out of those spaces by white LGBT+ folks. Heck look at how Jameela Jamil got treated when she came out as Bi as she was accused of faking it, despite the fact that no South Asian would fake something like that due to how close minded the community are.

There are also far more White LGBT+ characters and actors/singers/presenter in the media than compare to Non white and it was no coincidence that Elle also happened to be white as that's the default norm in this world.

Elle is not a minority at all.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
I discussed this with my gf last night, it's this kind of thing that makes me genuinely embarrassed to be a fan of the medium of video games. So childishly hateful.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not if they are white as their privilege prevents them from that. Their experiences are marginally different than compare to Black/LGBT+ of Colour who often get pushed out of those spaces by white LGBT+ folks. Heck look at how Jameela Jamil got treated when she came out as Bi as she was accused of faking it, despite the fact that no South Asian would fake something like that due to how close minded the community are.

There are also far more White LGBT+ characters and actors/singers/presenter in the media than compare to Non white and it was no coincidence that Elle also happened to be white as that's the default norm in this world.

Do white LGBT people have it better than non white LGBT folks? Absofukinglutely. Does that change the fact that white LGBT people are minorities? No. To suggest otherwise is showing complete ignorance of both history and the modern world.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Polygon critique however is for me more flawed, as it's not necessarily just the violence in the story she was criticizing, rather the fact that;

And

B.) That Ellie wasn't exemplary of the writers own ideals, moral ethics etc. To me this is a poor critique and a misunderstanding of the media.

TLOU2 isn't an RPG, eg a game where your character is an avatar of sorts, who's personality, build and story is somewhat or largely shaped by player choices and decision making.

These games aren't about that, rather they're a specific or near specific take on characters in a way the creators intended them, and this manifests itself in design choices throughout the games.

Ellie is her own character with her own sense of morality, justice, convictions etc, and this is a game that explores that. This is a character study of Ellie and what happens to her in this game, and Ellie is not a morally pure character, neither is Joel.

In that sense it doesn't matter what the journalist or I would do in Ellie's situation, we are not Ellie, Ellie is not an avatar of us.

Not enjoying those decisions and story beats is one thing, questioning why they even exist and aren't a manifestation of player choice instead, is completely and utterly missing the point.

It's also imo one of the reasons these types of games tend to have the best executed stories and characters in gaming, since they're so much more focused and developed in that pursuit.
That was not the critique of either the Vice review nor the Polygon review, you completely missed the point if that's what you took from those reviews.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was not the critique of either the Vice review nor the Polygon review, you completely missed the point if that's what you took from those reviews.

That was certainly some of the critiques of the Polygon review, but I just realised I mixed the Vice review for the Kotaku one.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the complaints about the violence. For me, as games get more realistic looking, it does get kind of off-putting and hard to watch sometimes. However, if the sexual orientation or gender of a character some how diminishes the narrative for you, then you're just a bigot/sexist/homophobe; there's no excuse for that. Naughty Dog should make Nathan come out as bisexual in the next Uncharted game just to spite these losers.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is an extremely bad take. White LGBTQ+ people benefit from white privilege but they are very obviously a minority by any definition.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are animal crossing and FFVII locked to 4k votes or something? TLOU2 came out 2 days ago and got 7 times more votes.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
Also, that you take these stories as manipulative says more about you than it does the media. In other words, instead of actually showing emotion, fear, sadness, empathy, anger, warmth, happiness, trepidation etc for these characters, your first thought is how it's been designed to draw emotion from you. Well duh, it's a drama, that's what it's supposed to do. Your pessimism is wholly misplaced.
This deserves to be highlighted.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I once saw The Quartering video thumbnail that more/less titled "The Last of Us Part II review Tanked!" with a big 95 Metacritic image in it.

From 96 to 95 = 'TANKED'

49ZN7I.gif

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Hmmmm...not at all.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxqnxy/last-of-us-part-2-review
All of it is utterly predictable, or if you're feeling charitable, tragically fated.

But by the end, like the main characters of The Last of Us 2, I didn't have much charity left to extend. The game's operatic tone and length can't obscure the simplicity of the themes it repeats to exhaustion, and its grandiosity is poorly served by a Naughty Dog house style that has become less a signature than a straitjacket.

The Last of Us Part II feels complacent, yet also preoccupied with its predecessor. Every facet of the original game has been expanded and enlarged in the sequel, but not actually improved. It is as if its only inspiration is the original game, and the well of pop culture it was drawing from. There is practically nothing here we haven't seen and done repeatedly throughout previous Naughty Dog games. It sets out to surpass its predecessor, but the only meaningful contrast between them is in its even more oppressive bleakness and violence. It digs two graves, fills them with blood, and then just fucking wallows in them.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
This game was always going to have mixed opinions just based purely on some of its story elements. But this is a clear demonstration on how right wing extremist groups will grab a hold of any controversy, no matter how insignificant it really is, and blow it up to something bigger to spread their hateful agenda. It has been become a big problem in the game industry. Movies as well. Many angry white youtubers grew by exploiting some people's dissatisfaction with Destiny 2. That stupid Pokemon Dexit controversy? You can bet right wing groups were helping to fuel the flames that ultimately lead to people harassing the developers on Twitter. This is why people need to be mindful that they don't let their criticisms of a game or any piece of media become a disturbing obsession. Frankly I see it here a good amount and online hate groups are looking to exploit that.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are animal crossing and FFVII locked to 4k votes or something? TLOU2 came out 2 days ago and got 7 times more votes.
The standard number of user scores is usually something between 4K to 10K. Some games have a little more than that, but I don't think any game or movie had 36K in the history!
I mean all 5 versions of GTAV (as a game from 2013,2014) have about 20K user scores together. Or a hugely popular game like The Witcher 3 has 34K scores in 3 versions together after 5 years, but TLoU2 has 36K in just 2 days!
Attack of the haters is really obvious here, but some people still want to believe those scores are from real TLoU2 players.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

As mentioned, I confused the Vice review for the Kotaku one, but having just read this, I could not disagree more.

"There is practically nothing here we haven't seen and done repeatedly throughout previous Naughty Dog games."

The game both narratively and gameplay wise is doing stuff ND hasn't explored before. Hell, narratively it's doing stuff I can't even remember any other game doing before, especially in terms of the constant interplay between timelines, characters etc, and how they're interwoven together for maximum impact and tension building. Hell, it's part of the reason so many are angry. We're just not used to this sort of thing in gaming, which is why you have 80+ other reviews glowing about the story.

So whilst ND may have lightly dabbled in something slightly similar in the past (brief back and forth timelines), they've done nothing of this level of execution and boldness.

Hard to expand without going into spoilers.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The game mentions the holocaust exactly once. In one sentence. Not the first post-apocalyptic story to do this. (Uncharted 2 also mentioned Hitler.) Actual Nazis are now on the tail of this game. No really. I love videogames.

GamePro of GameStar gave the game a 97/100 in the test. Here is the YouTube video:
www.youtube.com

The Last of Us 2 im Test für PS4 - SPOILERFREI

Spiele für Steam, Uplay und Co. jetzt digital bei Gamesplanet.com kaufen: http://bit.ly/2of1MR0 (*)Endlich ist es soweit: Wir können mit euch unsere (SPOILER...
11k upvotes. 1.2k downvotes. The most upvotes comment for me is that the PS4 will sound like an airport due to how overtaxed the machine will get. Correct.

Here is IGNs 10/10:
www.youtube.com

The Last of Us 2 Review

The Last of Us Part 2 reviewed by Jonathon Dornbush on PlayStation 4 Pro. This is a spoiler-free review of Naughty Dog's anticipated sequel. #ign
44k upvotes. 45k downvotes. The most upvotes comment is a harmless It makes you feel like paying a game 10/10 joke as IGN is a meme. I expected worse. Not just Americans use English speaking sites or outlets but the discussions around TLoU 2 here in Germany and in the US do not line up.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I once saw The Quartering video thumbnail that more/less titled "The Last of Us Part II review Tanked!" with a big 95 Metacritic image in it.

From 96 to 95 = 'TANKED'

49ZN7I.gif

I honestly just cannot wait they've had their fill...its gotten so bad I saw one person say the game barely has any new animations

I understand freedom of speech, but if bigot trash like The Quartering didn't have a voice, the discourse around this game would be somewhat more enjoyable and worthwhile

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I haven't played the game but just judging by what I'm seeing online It seems like this is the new Last Jedi situation where because of the loud bigots, fans of the game are dismissing most other detractors as being alt right gamergaters or nazis? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
44k upvotes. 45k downvotes. Not just Americans use English speaking sites or outlets but the discussions around TLoU 2 here in Germany and in the US do not line up.
I can't relate in Sweden either, the whole alt-right SJW thing goes over my head, there are no discussions like that here. I've heard some complaints about some key moments in the story though but nothing that would drop the score to 1 :p

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played the game but just judging by what I'm seeing online It seems like this is the new Last Jedi situation where because of the loud bigots, fans of the game are dismissing most other detractors as being alt right gamergaters or nazis? Am I interpreting this correctly?

the usual bunch make legit discourse harder, yes.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

no, you're just plain wrong

Metakilt

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
Yup it's seeping into this thread as well, almost everyone is referencing the anti-lgbtq+ people as the sole reason, how about the people in the lgbtq+ saying that this game sucks as well, and that they're being represented very wrongly? 0/10 is bad though, it's at least a 4/10 and a max rating of a 6/10.