• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The hate for the game is everywhere. The official subreddit for this game is nothing but memes and jokes about how bad it is. I don't think we can call this a loud minority anymore. The hate seems pretty mainstream at this point. It doesn't help that a lot of people really don't seem to like the way the story went.

I love that subreddit because it gaves material to Gaming Circlejerk (for months now)

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot very valid negative reviews out there that are NOT from the alt right and are more focused on the missteps the story takes.

I think it's also important to note that this game isn't about diversity or representation. Yes, they've done the bare minimum in terms of having people of colour and LGBTQ+ characters but they haven't really done anything with them and there's even some stuff in the game that is borderline uncomfortable and leaning towards bad stereotypes.

It absolutely sucks that the alt right are drowning out valid criticisms of the game and its use of "diversity".

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real here. At this point, nearly everyone with intentions to play the game is still playing the game.

The angry stuff in the reddit is fueled by bigots using leaked plot points to try to pick apart the game having never touched it.

Yeah, the trophy completion for beating the game is at 0.2% or something. It's clear as day what's going on with the discussion around this game.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Internet was a mistake, once again.

" Hey ! Here's a game about how hate is wrong, destructive and only leads to misery, enjoy ! Oh ! And the game in inclusive too. "

" Waaaaaah, the message is stupid ! Let us hate in peace ! Waaaaaah ! And enough with your SJW agenda ! We don't want politics in our games ! Waaaaah ! "

Humanity is doomed...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
There are a lot very valid negative reviews out there that are NOT from the alt right and are more focused on the missteps the story takes.

I think it's also important to note that this game isn't about diversity or representation. Yes, they've done the bare minimum in terms of having people of colour and LGBTQ+ characters but they haven't really done anything with them and there's even some stuff in the game that is borderline uncomfortable and leaning towards bad stereotypes.

It absolutely sucks that the alt right are drowning out valid criticisms of the game and its use of "diversity".

Read the reviews...

7111vqd6pw551.jpg

And "bad stereotypes"? Like people complaining that they aren't feminine enough?

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

" Hey ! Here's a game about how hate is wrong, destructive and only leads to misery, enjoy ! Oh ! And the game in inclusive too. "

" Waaaaaah, the message is stupid ! Let us hate in peace ! Waaaaaah ! And enough with your SJW agenda ! We don't want politics in our games ! Waaaaah ! "

Humanity is doomed...

I know.

Humanity is only doomed while these sort of fucktards continue to get the lions share of headlines despite being a large minority

The last ten years news channels, twitter and YouTube have rewarded people with far out views.

This needs to stop.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The nigh worthless void of garbage that is Metacritic user reviews has been of very low value for years because of things like this. Just morons , fanboys and shitheads spreading their diarrhea all over it. So this happening once again is not newsworthy nor does it matter. Value can only be added to what they're doing, and I feel like it's added by people who for some reason decide to pay attention to or care about MC user reviews as if it's some bastion that needs saving. So no one should be doing that.

Yes a large section of the gaming community are shitheads. Oversensitive fragile snowflakes whining about the most trivial of nothings because it offends their delicate feelings, and trying to force their politics into games against the creative vision of the developer.

I think it's funny that they are what they proclaim to hate, but it's mostly just sad and pathetic.
They're some combination of dumb, delusional, easily manipulated, weak of mind, self-centered, hateful, fascist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynist lunatics, assholes, sycophants and grifters incapable of sympathy for anyone but themselves. There is no point in trying to understand why they are the way they are, because it's bound to be extremely poorly justified. Just either ignore, shun or ridicule them.

I think them shouting into the garbage void that is Metacritic user reviews is a good thing though, as that place is a godforsaken pit, and this way it gets some use as kind of a container, which ought to mitigate the spread of their toxic nonsense at least a little bit. It gives them a sense that they're successfully taking a stand against removed vagina bones or whatever dumb shit they're outraged about this time. Let them rage at the nothing. Much better than them raging elsewhere and attacking actual people. Which they do still do in large quantities, but perhaps just a little less. Metacritic user reviews in this way, does actually provide some value.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
everyone except the official playstation channels are absoloutly blasting this game on my twitter feed, none of em are fuck heads as far as i know so they pretty much just hate it.

Last edited:

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Read the reviews...

7111vqd6pw551.jpg

And "bad stereotypes"? Like people complaining that they aren't feminine enough?
It's like you didn't read my post. I'm not defending the alt right review bombing, I'm saying that it's drowning out actual valid criticisms of the game.

I'm not even going to give that second part of your post a reply because it's disingenuous and you know that's not what I was implying.

Solrac

Nov 4, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns of marginalized groups

Humanity is doomed...
9s93qd8sm0651.png

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

I don't think Ellie being gay is the big/sole problem. It's more that the alpha gruff white badass-man (which doesn't even describe Joel very well but you know how these people actually care for the characters) from the first part is not the lead anymore or being used to feed male power fantasies.

(and I am well aware that there are reasons to not love that game and I have seen a few perfectly valid takes that ended up at a 7/10 or so but all the 0-3/10 user reviews at release day are straight up bullshit. It's also has much less objective shortcomings than, say, TLJ where it was much harder to differentiate between people who had honest gripes with the film and Alt-right assholes.)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, those games didn't have coordinated bombing movements against them for LGBT representation. The losers were mostly mad by themselves in a corner. TLOU has mad bigots spinning their wheels since its announcement so this was inevitable. Also, the fact that this targeted campaign has been around since the game was barely even announced goes to show that it has little to do with the game itself. But good job sharing a 4chan meme that normalizes bigots.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Nice shitpost bro. Just because those organized maniacs didn't set their eyes on the hardly popular games you listed, doesn't change the fact that they are doing it with this game. FFS just look at the number of TLOU2 user reviews. more than triple the amount of the other games combined just a day after release. That's not normal, especially when they haven't even played the game.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's the poster (btw ramyeon) but it's something I'm tired to read at my feed.

Again, read the reviews on MC.
The problem is you're trying to invalidate criticisms of the game from the LEFT (Not the alt right). I also think you have completely misinterpreted my post. I'm not saying that the alt right aren't review bombing, I'm saying that is sucks that their voices are drowning out the actual criticism coming from a place of wanting more representation and diversity in games that this game doesn't deliver on more than a surface level.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Look, I will actually give you benefit of the doubt. If you're looking for an alternative view on the game and its use of diversity please listen to the podcast below. Features reviewers from Polygon and Vice who are very not alt right, for the record.

https://maximumfun.org/episodes/triple-click/early-thoughts-on-the-last-of-us-part-ii/

I will, thanks.

Sorry if I was too worked up, many things that are being said by these guys are very personnal to me. Will just start ignoring these threads.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure this review bombing of the game for "story reasons" is totally true and credible given that the total game length is over a day long and the game came out yesterday.
The problem people have with the game's story design is something that is apparent from early hours of the game, one doesn't need to finish the game for that.

Yes you won't have the resolution to the story if you don't finish it, but you can still disagree with the direction it's taking from start, as that's something which can be apparent from early on in the game for most games.

For example, you don't need to finish Mass Effect 2 to know that it'll be a story focusing on building a squad so as to go through Omega relay. You don't know if Omega relay is the point of no return and the last level of the game, and you don't know what's going to happen but within the first hour of the game itself you know that's going to be in the last stretch of the game atleast and the game's narrative is primarily about building your squad instead of chase a villain across galaxy like in Mass Effect 1.

Last edited:

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Bad writing plus butchered story made many many mad which is perfectly understandable. A friend of mine who is the biggest fan of TLOU really really HATED this one. He said this game destroyed everything the first one built upon. I didn't play much myself though just a few hours in but I understand what he means. Oh well.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The problem people have with the game's story design is something that comes up in early hours of the game, one doesn't need to finish the game for that.
Lol I played at least 10 hours of the game and what is the problem with the early hours ?

Maybe if you don't play it and just read a poor summary it can be bad
But just play it, narration and story + characters and writing are great

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget gamergate guys claimed it was about "ethics in games journalism".

Clearly we should trust the same peeple that it's about "writing in video games".

swordman227

Banned
Dec 15, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
Good thing we in the Middle East banned this game, this is Haram AF and unacceptable.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love the people posting at about the same level as a Trump tweet and trying to make it out like they are contributing to some valid critique of the writing and story.

Last edited:

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
This is it. Some folks are hidding it better than others, but overall there are tons of comments pretending to be "legitimate criticism", that are simply screaming misogyny.
Like I said, even the user reviews that don't explicitly mention it and pretend they have legitimate criticism are straight up lying. Either way, anyone that rates a AAA with a 0 obviously has an agenda.

The situation is really sad because TLOUII is one of the few chances our medium has to convince the general public that video games can be art.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
And people didn't want that thing to happen, that's the whole point, this is a Neil and ND choice and people were not expecting to see that happen so early in the game.
Well they are not supposed to write a story about what people want, without going into spoilers they said plenty of times that this is a story about revenge, what makes a person cross cities and kill hundreds of people for what they think is right, but in tlou you also get the view point of other characters so it's not black and white.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

What counts as a lot to you? You would think the game is a 77 or something. This is not mixed. Majority of the reviews are gushing, no legit criticism is being lost, it's not that much...come on now...y'all wildlin, I can't believe some of these posts are made In good faith.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
And people didn't want that thing to happen, that's the whole point, this is a Neil and ND choice and people were not expecting to see that happen so early in the game.

That's a sentiment I don't get honestly. Everybody is always talking about how games should be taken seriously as an art form and then cry when they get challenged with a story that hurts and doesn't coddle the player with a feel-good power fantasy or nostalgia trip.
Some people (not talking about politically motivated alt-right trolls here) badly need to learn the difference between a good story that challenges them in uncomfortable ways and a bad story.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This goes well beyond TLOU 2, and we should normalize making a stand even when the game isn't your favorite.
DICE barely got any support when crazy people were savaging Battlefield for including women soldiers in the trailers and 'bowing down to SJWs'.

it will take a concerted effort to kick toxicity out of gaming.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
LMAO, even review bombers got their share of [secret] defence force. Fucking amazing.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The game is not preachy at all. So people are just mad that there is LGBT representation... Eh.
That's what makes annoys me the most. The fact that people judge based on nothing. The game has actually been quite subtle so far as far as representation goes and even the violent scenes that got people worried are not unnecessarily graphic or anything. It is obvious that ND gave a lot of thought on not making anything feel cheap.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What counts as a lot to you? You would think the game is a 77 or something. This is not mixed. Majority of the reviews are gushing, no legit criticism is being lost, it's not that much...come on now...y'all wildlin, I can't believe some of these posts are made In good faith.
I'd say the fact that the majority of LGBT people I've seen are upset with the "representation" counts as a lot. As for critic reviews, the ones I noticed didn't give the game a score so they aren't represented in the MC score.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Once again I'm saying that the alt right review bombing is bad. It's bad because it's bigoted hate and it's also bad because it drowns out valid concerns and criticisms from a good place. I'd direct you to the same podcast I posted previously and will link again below.

I also don't appreciate you trying to discredit my post by suggesting it was made with bad intent.

maximumfun.org

Early Thoughts On The Last Of Us Part II | Maximum Fun

Maddy brings on special guest Rob Zacny (Vice, Waypoint Radio) to give some early impressions on The Last of Us Part II.