• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
I've got S4E3 up next and I just read Netflix's description of the episode. My heart's not ready for what I'm certain is about to happen.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I did an FTL run to celebrate:

Drsh6B1.jpg

but I'm afraid Finan and Hild died in the process.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I love this series.

I find it hilarious that Aylesbury is a royal capital. I live about 15min away and it is a total shithole. It has extremely heavy car traffic running through the town, because the a41 dual carriageway leads to the town, and there is no bypass so the traffic has to pass through the town.

I am imagining mega fans coming to the UK and checking out some of the locations from the show. Bamburgh - beautiful, Winchester - lovely, beamfleot- nowhereville, Aylesbury - wtf? Shithole

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I am imagining mega fans coming to the UK and checking out some of the locations from the show. Bamburgh - beautiful, Winchester - lovely, beamfleot- nowhereville, Aylesbury - wtf? Shithole

Funny as I watch this show/read books I did think about how much fun it would be to visit these locations. Been to England a few times and saw some of these places Chester, Winchester, York, etc, but it made me want to see more.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Funny as I watch this show/read books I did think about how much fun it would be to visit these locations. Been to England a few times and saw some of these places Chester, Winchester, York, etc, but it made me want to see more.
I wonder if they got to film at Bamburgh castle.

Bamburgh_2006_closeup.jpg

Also, are the old roman forts of London still there?

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I wonder if they got to film at Bamburgh castle.

Bamburgh_2006_closeup.jpg

Also, are the old roman forts of London still there?
Not really, bits of the Roman wall is still present. It wouldn't be a good backdrop for a tv series though as it is surrounded by office buildings!

Bamburgh castle is one of the most scenic in Britain, they wont have filmed there though as none of what you can see dates from saxon times.

Some of the 'Saxon Shore' forts are reasonably well preserved. These were forts built by the romans to protect against saxon invasion.
Pevensey castle is quite well preserved:

there is a more recent medieval castle built inside the Roman fort. So the outer wall is Roman.

edit- Portchester is another good example

Last edited:

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Yeah, some of the places are really nice. Chester and York are lovely. Bamburgh castle is beatiful, though very different from the show (there are no cliffs around it for example).

Bamburgh is extremely close to Lindisfarne where the first Viking raid happened, so it is possible to combine the two. I think the scenary in the North East is really beatiful, it can be quite stark, and there are not many people around (which I prefer!). There are a lot of cool castles in the region especially as you get further North.
Etal castle is near to Bamburgh/ Lindisfarne and has a nice exhibition about the battle of Flodden.

Last edited:

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, bits of the Roman wall is still present. It wouldn't be a good backdrop for a tv series though as it is surrounded by office buildings!

Bamburgh castle is one of the most scenic in Britain, they wont have filmed there though as none of what you can see dates from saxon times.

Some of the 'Saxon Shore' forts are reasonably well preserved. These were forts built by the romans to protect against saxon invasion.
Pevensey castle is quite well preserved:

there is a more recent medieval castle built inside the Roman fort. So the outer wall is Roman.

edit- Portchester is another good example
Cool, If I am ever allowed out of the country again I'll have to add that to the list.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
5th season and yet S3 is still not available in my region (Scandinavia). Streaming services were a great way to watch shows without illegal downloading them and yet so many shows aren't even streamed here on any service....

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I was under the impression that there aren't a whole lot of Viking sites anywhere, due to them being wooden and long since gone.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, some of the places are really nice. Chester and York are lovely. Bamburgh castle is beatiful, though very different from the show (there are no cliffs around it for example).

Bamburgh is extremely close to Lindisfarne where the first Viking raid happened, so it is possible to combine the two. I think the scenary in the North East is really beatiful, it can be quite stark, and there are not many people around (which I prefer!). There are a lot of cool castles in the region especially as you get further North.
Etal castle is near to Bamburgh/ Lindisfarne and has a nice exhibition about the battle of Flodden.

Didn't make it to Bamburgh on my last trip, so hopefully I can visit it one day. I think I read that they film in Hungary. Not sure if they use any of today's England in the show.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this thread pop up on the front page, and it took me a minute to remember anything that happened this season. Is it just me or was it pretty forgettable? Maybe it's the lack of Alfred's presence or just the sameiness of the events to prior seasons. Kind of disappointed.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Didn't make it to Bamburgh on my last trip, so hopefully I can visit it one day. I think I read that they film in Hungary. Not sure if they use any of today's England in the show.
That is correct. I think Hungary has made a surprisingly passable approximation of England though, with the exception of some locales not being a great match (e.g Bamburgh 'cliffs'). It is certainly the case, that I am never taken out of the drama, by thinking "hang on, that doesnt look right"!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I saw this thread pop up on the front page, and it took me a minute to remember anything that happened this season. Is it just me or was it pretty forgettable? Maybe it's the lack of Alfred's presence or just the sameiness of the events to prior seasons. Kind of disappointed.
You have forgotten
Beocca and Steapa
already?

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Awesome! This is some fo the best stuff on Netflix or anywhere for that matter. Love this show. Will miss Beocca in season 5 for sure.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
YES!!

Also, I don't recognize any of them without their makeup and stuff lol

Yeah, took me a bit but I think this is correct.

First chat (clockwise from top left): Ruby Hartley (Stiorra aka Uhtred's daughter), Alexander Dreymon (Uhtred), Finn Elliot (Young Uhtred), Ewan Mitchell (Osferth aka "Baby Monk")

Second chat: Jeppe Beck Laursen (Haesten), James Northcote (Aldhelm), Stefanie Martini (Eadith), Adrian Schiller (Aethelhelm), Alexander Dreymon

Third chat: Mark Rowley (Finan), Alexander Dreymon, Eliza Butterworth (Aelswith), Magnus Samuelsson (Clapa), Arnas Fedaravicius (Sitric)

Clapa's actor was included only because they seem to love to meme on him, lol.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You have forgotten
Beocca and Steapa
already?

Season 4 is definitely the weakest though. Biggest issue on the show that became super transparent in S4 is

Arselicker continuing to save England and have no spoils for it. It doesn't make sense at this point, he should be drowing in gold and some big ass castle somewhere.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Season 4 is definitely the weakest though. Biggest issue on the show that became super transparent in S4 is

Arselicker continuing to save England and have no spoils for it. It doesn't make sense at this point, he should be drowing in gold and some big ass castle somewhere.
Why? The english only see him as a tool to defend the danes and hate him for being a Dane and not a Christian and therefore don't want to give him credit.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I said it on the previous page, but that's Cornwell's writing. It's fast and fun, but every story follows a very similar formula.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the possibly dumb question.

Why is this only in HD for me? I'm nearly sure I was watching the earlier season in 4k HDR. I'm watching on Netflix in Europe and 4k, Dolby Vision, etc. works fine on other shows.

OP
OP
Tugatrix

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the possibly dumb question.

Why is this only in HD for me? I'm nearly sure I was watching the earlier season in 4k HDR. I'm watching on Netflix in Europe and 4k, Dolby Vision, etc. works fine on other shows.

I can't confirm that I just have the normal plan with old HD, but I never got the idea they made it with 4k HDR

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Started reading the last book last night, and man am I going to miss the adventures of Uthred, Wasp-sting and serpent-breath. Ohh and Finan.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
13 books is a good run though and I'm looking forward to seeing what Bernard Cornwell has planned for the future.

The guy's written hundreds of books and many long series. I think i read 22 Sharpe books alone. My guess is he's probably slowing down at this point as he nears 80. The Sharpe and Warlord series were good. As was the standalone Agincourt.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Netflix has announced that season 5 will be the final season.

deadline.com

‘The Last Kingdom’: Netflix Saxon Saga To End With Season 5

The Last Kingdom is to ride out for a final time, as Netflix brings an axe down on the Bernard Cornwell adaptation.

Bummer they are ending it a bit early, with there being a few books left unadapted. But hopefully the show's writers knowing this ahead of time can still give this season a satisfying conclusion.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer. Guess the books will have to do. This sure is the main thing I go back to Netflix for a month every year.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I can see there being problems with ageing up the characters but it's always a shame to lose a show so close to the end of a long book series. Losing this and the Expanse next is going to hurt.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Netflix has announced that season 5 will be the final season.

deadline.com

‘The Last Kingdom’: Netflix Saxon Saga To End With Season 5

The Last Kingdom is to ride out for a final time, as Netflix brings an axe down on the Bernard Cornwell adaptation.

Bummer they are ending it a bit early, with there being a few books left unadapted. But hopefully the show's writers knowing this ahead of time can still give this season a satisfying conclusion.
It's pretty big deal to have 5 seasons with Netflix alone anyway. I'm gonna miss the show so much.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks the show is ending but apparently a Warlord Chronicles series is in production, so that will hopefully fill the void.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The first two seasons were on BBC?

1st season was a BBC America/BBC coproduction, 2nd season was a BBC/Netflix coproduction, seasons 3, 4, & 5 were all Netflix solo productions. So 3 seasons solely produced by Netflix, about in line with their whole "cancel everything but the biggest hits after 3 seasons" thing.