• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The film since one of the first scenes hammers the fact that the resistance cannot win by doing big and flashy maneuvers that get their people killed to do something as small as destroying one enemy tool. The desire to be seen as a hero by destroying a dreadnaught or a first order canon ultimately doesn't matter when they have countless weapons aimed at your group anyway.
Instead sacrifice has to be made from a place of understanding that the goal may not ultimately be to destroy anyone or anything but to allow the rest of the group to live as seen with Holdo and Luke's sacrifices right before and right after Finn's attempt.Finn and Poe don't get this until the end. Rose is wise enough to know this and I feel it works for her. She is concerned about the resistance and is better at seeing the big picture.

This is correct. You have to key in on Finn saying that bit about "No! We can't let them win!" or whatever. His motivation for the attack was from a place of hate for the FO and not of love for his friends.

But here's the problem, Finn had just given a rousing morale boost about hope and buying time for help to arrive and you see Rose and everyone else gleefully nodding along in agreence. His head was in the right place. Then he hops in a speeder and it changes.

Its just a really awkward bit of storytelling and I'm not surprised so many people have issues with it.

The craziest part for me was that Finn and Rose escaped away to Canto Bight in that ship and nobody cared or noticed, including the First Order. They could have shipped off a lot of the Resistance via that method....

Yep, and Chewy casually drops Rey off and leaves no problem. It really undermines the impossible escape its trying to present.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like how you completely ignored the first and last paragraph of my post

Not surprised, of course.

you know damn well the majority of the TLJ defense force on here don't give af about how finn is actually portrayed if it's not in defense of the movie and how infallible it is. It's not about what could be or even the bias present, only that we should be happy with what we got i guess.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why no interviewer hasn't asked JJ point blank "Do you think your nostalgia of the OT hampers your ability to make a good Star Wars movie?" Like just ask him outright.

He sort of covered that in the Vanity Fair interview for TROS:

"[O]n seven, I felt beholden to Star Wars in a way that was interesting—I was doing what to the best of my ability I felt Star Wars should be," Abrams told Vanity Fair in an in-depth cover story about The Rise of Skywalker. But that changes with Episode 9, he said:

"Working on nine, I found myself approaching it slightly differently… It felt slightly more renegade; it felt slightly more like, you know, Fuck it, I'm going to do the thing that feels right because it does, not because it adheres to something."

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
you know damn well the majority of the TLJ defense force on here don't give af about how finn is actually portrayed if it's not in defense of the movie and how infallible it is. It's not about what could be or even the bias present, only that we should be happy with what we got i guess.

Yep, it's super transparent.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
They cut out a scene where he tries to talk other stormtroopers out, which I think does a lot for his character

Also this scene which fixes HIM AND PHASMA IN LIKE A MINUTE WAS CUT, WHY

I kind feel like this sequence was heavily revised. It starts off really clunky with them about to be executed with Phasma standing in front of them then after the explosion she marches in from the opposite end of the hanger. Maybe that soured me a bit but the editing felt off for the whole thing, BB8 taking over the walker looked cheap and maybe covering an edit they wanted rid of I don't know.

Personally I really enjoyed Finn in TFA. I agree the backstroy could have been used much better and the janitor jokes were weak but him and Rey's chemistry made an ok movie great. The two worked really well together. TLJ seperating them hurt Finn more than it did Rey but the quality was clearly centered on the A plot and Finn/Poes stuff felt pretty haphazard.

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Ignoring Staff Post; Hostility and Personal Attacks Over Multiple Posts; Numerous Prior Bans for Hostility and Inflammatory Behavior
Yep, it's super transparent.

Last time I argued for good representation for people of color in Star Wars, Crossing Eden was telling everyone that the redhead white dude in the new Star Wars game IS diversity(cause his hair is red, y'see) and it was wrong to be disappointed at another white male Jedi main character because Star Wars had enough poc characters like Iden Versio & Kanan from Rebels to earn another white guy main character.

But they get a pass for constantly finger waving anyone disappointed at Star Wars lack of diverse representation in main characters because they're a poc too. The Candace Owens of Star Wars defense, if you will. If they weren't, they wouldn't have completely ignored the "why is Rey being a Jedi an empowering example of great representation but wanting Finn to be a Jedi is wrong?" point.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last time I argued for good representation for people of color in Star Wars, Crossing Eden was telling everyone that the redhead white dude in the new Star Wars game IS diversity(cause his hair is red, y'see) and it was wrong to be disappointed at another white male Jedi main character because Star Wars had enough poc characters like Iden Versio & Kanan from Rebels to earn another white guy main character.

But they get a pass for constantly finger waving anyone disappointed at Star Wars lack of diverse representation in main characters because they're a poc too. The Candace Owens of Star Wars defense, if you will. If they weren't, they wouldn't have completely ignored the "why is Rey being a Jedi an empowering example of great representation but wanting Finn to be a Jedi is wrong?" point.

Yeah Eden was the same person who told me i should be happy about some black representation in some obscure ass star wars game and the character they were talking about was an alien portrayed by a black woman. SMH might as well have told me Maz Kanata was good enough representation for people like me. Like it's really strange how some of these TLJ defenders get real uppity when you mention that the diversity present in Star Wars sometimes isn't good enough for everybody. If you don't like it then you're not smart enough to understand i guess.

The truth of the matter is that some of us are tired of the main force story always being about the white characters. Star Wars is in need of something more innovative then another white person picking up a lightsaber and saving/destroying the galaxy once again.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah Eden was the same person who told me i should be happy about some black representation in some obscure ass star wars game and the character they were talking about was an alien portrayed by a black woman. SMH might as well have told me Maz Kanata was good enough representation for people like me. Like it's really strange how some of these TLG defenders get real uppity when you mention that the diversity present in Star Wars sometimes isn't good enough for everybody. If you don't like it then you're not smart enough to understand i guess.

I remember those posts explicitly, bro. Crossing Eden was extremely disingenuous in how they defended the new white guy main character in the upcoming SW game and no one can tell me a person like that genuinely cares about representation for people of color when you argue that side characters and/or rarely seen playable characters who aren't even Human in an old obscure games is the kind of representation the rest of us should be happy with.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah Eden was the same person who told me i should be happy about some black representation in some obscure ass star wars game and the character they were talking about was an alien portrayed by a black woman. SMH might as well have told me Maz Kanata was good enough representation for people like me. Like it's really strange how some of these TLJ defenders get real uppity when you mention that the diversity present in Star Wars sometimes isn't good enough for everybody. If you don't like it then you're not smart enough to understand i guess.

The truth of the matter is that some of us are tired of the main force story always being about the white characters. Star Wars is in need of something more innovative then another white person picking up a lightsaber and saving/destroying the galaxy once again.
I remember those posts explicitly, bro. Crossing Eden was extremely disingenuous in how they defended the new white guy main character in the upcoming SW game and no one can tell me a person like that genuinely cares about representation for people of color when you argue that side characters and/or rarely seen playable characters who aren't even Human in an old obscure games is the kind of representation the rest of us should be happy with.
lTtK2fK.gif

Dec 12, 2017
But there is a Black woman support character in Fallen Empire and I am SURE she will have a worthwhile arc that shows her as resolute and fearless!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Comparing me to Candace Owens while literally lying about the type of argument I made in a thread from months ago. Wow.
Like it's really strange how some of these TLJ defenders get real uppity when you mention that the diversity present in Star Wars sometimes isn't good enough for everybody
It's almost as if the the implication that we just don't care about representation as much since we like a character in a kid's movie, or the , being compared to Candace Owens, a women who fucking defended Hitler's ideas, again, over opinions on representation, would make anyone fucking uppity but don't let me interrupt. Like I don't think you people understand just how insulting that is and i'm bowing out of this thread because apparently, I don't care about representation. That's news to me.

Dec 12, 2017
Like I don't think you people understand just how insulting that is and i'm bowing out of this thread because apparently, I don't care about representation. That's news to me.
It's more that you don't care how the "representation" we have had in Star Wars to this point leaves a lot to be desired by a TON of people here, myself included.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing me to Candace Owens while literally lying about the type of argument I made in a thread from months ago. Wow.

It's almost as if the the implication that we just don't care about representation as much since we like a character in a kid's movie, or the , being compared to Candace Owens, a women who fucking defended Hitler's ideas, again, over opinions on representation, would make anyone fucking uppity but don't let me interrupt.

While i don't agree with the comparison, you act way out of line when someone has something to say about the diversity in Star Wars, and then when we don't like how you approach the subject you start using your race as a ploy to make it seem like your opinions are above reproach. From what I've seen in this thread and the other SW threads when this subject comes up you don't seem to learn at all from what other black people are saying, and often you toe the line trying your damnedest to find flimsy excuses for representation in Star Wars. Like we get it bro you like the series, but not every black person agrees with how things are being handled nor do they like the way LF has continued to fumble Finn's character around after the bait and switch in TFA.

This has happened over and over again and honestly every since the thread about Cal, I've been wary to try and converse with you in these kinds of threads because i know it's gonna be the same bullshit. Star Wars is not perfect, it could be better, and half of us want it to be better. I don't understand why you think criticizing something that's been documented and is well deserved for this series is such a bad thing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's more that you don't care how the "representation" we have had in Star Wars to this point leaves a lot to be desired by a TON of people here, myself included.
I'm allowed to disagree with you without
-being accused of not caring about representation.
-having my arguments completely lied about--->I have never once said or even IMPLIED "be happy with what you get"
-being compared to people like Candace Owens

I didn't respond to that argument because it was never a claim I made in the first place. I never claimed or implied, wanting Finn to be a jedi is wrong. What I DID do, is examine how the films frame his actions and play with common tropes in storytelling, citing his role as the knight who saves the day and gets the girl and how that's portrayed as a flaw and how the narrative punishes him for that flaw.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017
I'm allowed to disagree with you without being accused of not caring about representation.
You not simply disagreeing. You're using anecdotally evidence and how Finn's representation resonated with YOU to dispute how it worked for people overall.

In my opinion, Finn is a wasted opportunity of a character that could have been played by anyone. There was no one Black in the LOTR films and it many ways that was BETTER to me than a Finn-esque character that is just glorified comic relief for the real main character in Rey.

All the explaining by you about how it worked for you isn't gonna change my mind and honestly, i am not here to try and change yours.

That is the difference.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I'm in a middle ground here.

1) I think Star Wars is terrible, diversity wise. Especially in comparison to its sister franchise, Star Trek.
2) I like Finn, but want him to do more
3) FO could have done better than Cal
4) I don't have as much of a problem with Finn and TLJ. I actually liked his/Rose's plotline. But TFA is my problem point.

So maybe not a middle ground.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You not simply disagreeing. You're using anecdotally evidence and how Finn's representation resonated with YOU to dispute how it worked for people overall.
You're also literally using an anecdote. We are ALL using anecdotes when it comes to Finn as an example of representation. There's no universal consensus or even a citation that Finn is a missed opportunity when it comes to representation.

In my opinion, Finn is a wasted opportunity of a character that could have been played by anyone.
Finn would feel drastically different as a character if he wasn't played by John Boyega.

Dec 12, 2017
You're also literally using an anecdote. We are ALL using anecdotes when it comes to Finn as an example of representation. There's no universal consensus or even a citation that Finn is a missed opportunity when it comes to representation.
Quote where i said it was universal consensus. I mean i LITERALLY said "in my opinion".

You trying to Eden-splain to people what they are "missing" in Finn's arc is not just disagreement and you know this.

People have been very clearly and succintly telling you throughout this thread the issues they have with your approach.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't respond to that argument because it was never a claim I made in the first place. I never claimed or implied, wanting Finn to be a jedi is wrong. What I DID do, is examine how the films frame his actions and play with common tropes in storytelling, citing his role as the knight who saves the day and gets the girl and how that's portrayed as a flaw and how the narrative punishes him for that flaw.

Then it should be understood that not everyone is happy with the way things have been set up in this trilogy for finn, whether he's a jedi or not, there are many people who feel he's been undercooked as a character. Your idea of a good arc for this black character isn't gonna be the same for everyone else. I don't need a citation or anything for me to say that I feel like finn could have been better as a character had the writers taken the time to understand what a character like taht could mean for a black audience.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Quote where i said it was universal consensus. I mean i LITERALLY said "in my opinion".
How am I supposed to interpret this:
You're using anecdotally evidence and how Finn's representation resonated with YOU to dispute how it worked for people overall.

I even ended that post with, "Finn would feel like a drastically different character if he wasn't played by John Boyega."
You trying to explain to people what they are "missing" in Finn's arc is not just disagreement and you know this.
Stop the passive aggression. It is absolutely just disagreement when I see people attempting to critique a character while completely misframing the story, context, and events. I'd love to get to that part of the discussion instead of reiterating plot points.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stop the passive aggression. It is absolutely just disagreement when I see people attempting to critique a character while completely misframing the story, context, and events. I'd love to get to that part of the discussion instead of reiterating plot points.

I just find it weird how people can interpret and pick up on the themes of the story in whichever way is personally convenient for them so they can make others seem wrong because their interpretation didn't match.

Dec 12, 2017
How am I supposed to interpret this:

I even ended that post with, "Finn would feel like a drastically different character if he wasn't played by John Boyega."

You added that AFTER i quoted you. For the record, I comoletely disagree. I think the director would have gotten a similar performance out of whoever was playing Finn.

John Boyega is much more gifted actor than the ST has displayed.

The plot points being "misinterpreted" have very little to do with people's feeling about Finn overall and again people have told you this through the thread and you retort with Eden-splaining.

I just find it weird how people can interpret and pick up on the themes of the story in whichever way is personally convenient for them so they can make others seem wrong because their interpretation didn't match.
This right here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You added that AFTER i quoted you. For the record, I comoletely disagree. I think the director would have gotten a similar performance out of whoever was playing Finn.

Yeah, I really don't feel like there's much in Finn's character that speaks to Boyega's talent as an actor. He had more to do in TFA than TLJ, but his entire character was based around a lie JJ spent a year and a half massaging via marketing. And people are surprised some viewers are upset about being misled, then having the character accomplish nothing over and over and over again while Rey gets to do everything?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even convenient, it's literally just describing events as they happen in the film and even using visual examples. The thread's premise is "the film did this character dirty" so we should examine what the actual films do with the character.

You added that AFTER i quoted you.
No I didn't. I edited it in right after I made the post, before you quoted me.

I think the director would have gotten a similar performance out of whoever was playing Finn.

John Boyega gets what they've been doing with his character.

The plot points being "misinterpreted" have very little to do with people's feeling about Finn overall
I mean when people frame Canto Bight as, "Finn learns that slavery is bad." Then yes that misinterpretation of what he actually learns and what the point of Canto Bight is will absolutely affect their feelings about how his character is treated.

Yeah, I really don't feel like there's much in Finn's character that speaks to Boyega's talent as an actor. He had more to do in TFA than TLJ, but his entire character was based around a lie JJ spent a year and a half massaging via marketing. And people are surprised some viewers are upset about being misled, then having the character accomplish nothing over and over and over again while Rey gets to do everything?
Outside of overcoming her emotional hang ups, what are Rey's accomplishments aside from surviving? She failed and was just as flawed as Finn was in the last two films despite her altruism and desire to do the right thing. Like, Finn at least killed Phasma. Crait was a group effort. She failed to convince Luke to return, had to be saved from Snoke, and helped Kylo become space Hitler instead of redeeming him.

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the Poe stuff on the ship tbh. It was BSG-esque with the hothead character thinking theyre doing whats right and undermining authority when in actuality they are fucking up the plan. It was a breath of fresh air for the franchise

Finn and Rose's subplot could have been alright too without some super questionable decisions like that goofy kangaroo chase or the slave kids or casting Benicio Del Toro as a smuggler and having him turn in THAT cornball performance.

Dec 12, 2017
Yep.

No I didn't. I edited it in right after I made the post, before you quoted me.
I'm not gonna get into the weeds on when you added it. When i hit reply, it wasn't there and besides, i responded to it.

John Boyega gets what they've been doing with his character.

I'm sure he does as I am sure just about anyone in that role could have "got what they were doing with the character". Finn isn't overly complicated.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the Poe stuff on the ship tbh. It was BSG-esque with the hothead character thinking theyre doing whats right and undermining authority when in actuality they are fucking up the plan. It was a breath of fresh air for the franchise

Agreed, it was a good arc. I disagree with anyone who says TLJ ruined Poe's character. He didn't have a character in TFA.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even convenient, it's literally just describing events as they happen in the film and even using visual examples. The thread's premise is "the film did this character dirty" so we should examine what the actual films do with the character.

Except here's the thing, you watched the movie and so did the people you often respond to in this thread. An interpretation of what happens in a movie and it's corresponding themes is not something to be touted as an objective truth. It's your interpretation against another, you can repeat what happened all you want but your feelings about it aren't the end all be all of the matter. That's the problem some of us have with your posts, your interpretation of the movie is not as objective as you like to make it seem, and it doesn't allow for other opinions about to stand out and im not taking about obvious bigoted points we've seen throughout the fandom, but stuff like representation, other character's action...etc.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's one thing to say Finn was done dirty, as a black character in SW, from inception and another to say TLJ ruined his character.

His arc would have been better if he pocketed the beacon, kept it on him the whole time, keeping audiences guessing as to what his true intentions were throughout Canto. This way, a character like DJ, someone who's live free, don't join philosophy could have felt like a genuine influence in pulling him away from the Resistance. It was a mistake to have him gave it back to Poe so early.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We simply don't agree on this, like at all.
I guess.

I think it's one thing to say Finn was done dirty, as a black character in SW, from inception and another to say TLJ ruined his character.

His arc would have been better if he pocketed the beacon, kept it on him the whole time, keeping audiences guessing as to what his true intentions were throughout Canto. This way, a character like DJ, someone who's live free, don't join philosophy could have felt like a genuine influence in pulling him away from the Resistance. It was a mistake to have him gave it back to Poe so early.
I could actually see how that could work. 🤔

To be fair, it's not hard to have chemistry with Oscar Isaac. The man is walking charisma, he'd have chemistry with an empty plastic bag.
True BUT imagine Oscar Isaac in one of the prequels.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is correct. You have to key in on Finn saying that bit about "No! We can't let them win!" or whatever. His motivation for the attack was from a place of hate for the FO and not of love for his friends.

But here's the problem, Finn had just given a rousing morale boost about hope and buying time for help to arrive and you see Rose and everyone else gleefully nodding along in agreence. His head was in the right place. Then he hops in a speeder and it changes.

Its just a really awkward bit of storytelling and I'm not surprised so many people have issues with it.

Agreed.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Finn definitely got relegated to the B plot in TLJ but I don't think it ruined his character. Boyega still puts in a hella charismatic performance and I'm sure he'll put in some good stuff in TRoS since I'm thinking they'll actually keep the characters together for that one.
I also liked TLJ so maybe that colors my read on it (I'm also black if that matters)

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really don't feel like there's much in Finn's character that speaks to Boyega's talent as an actor.

I would disagree with this somewhat. In my opinion he's the only one of the new actors whose raw charisma has elevated what little he had to work with, and it's a shame that it's been wasted on basically being a bumbling buffoon through so much of these movies.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
to put it simply i really don't think LF gave a fuck about finn from the jump when he could be used to hide the fact rey is the jedi, this was the main reason why I'm just not interested in the future of Star Wars when they've already shown me what they do and haven continued to do with black characters. Maybe I'll catch the Mandolorian, and Kevin Feige take. Seems like he cares more about representation than whoever is in charge of the story treatment in the SW universe.

Dec 12, 2017
to put it simply i really don't think LF gave a fuck about finn from the jump when he could be used to hide the fact rey is the jedi, this was the main reason why I'm just not interested in the future of Star Wars when they've already shown me what they do and haven continued to do with black characters.
I have maintained that, since Rogue One was a one off film, why couldn't Jyn Erso have been a woman of color?

But nope.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Except here's the thing, you watched the movie and so did the people you often respond to in this thread. An interpretation of what happens in a movie and it's corresponding themes is not something to be touted as an objective truth. It's your interpretation against another, you can repeat what happened all you want but your feelings about it aren't the end all be all of the matter. That's the problem some of us have with your posts, your interpretation of the movie is not as objective as you like to make it seem, and it doesn't allow for other opinions about to stand out and im not taking about obvious bigoted points we've seen throughout the fandom, but stuff like representation, other character's action...etc.

Their insistence on their interpretation being the only possible interpretation of anything TLJ related is consistently obnoxious, and they have the multi gif posts ready to prove it. Over, and over, and over. Which is a shame because they're consistently a great poster on other important topics on Era.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Finn and company subplot was pointless and unnecesary. Dude went through the same character arc he did in the first movie

Status
Not open for further replies.