• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
TLG is one of the most memorable and incredibly emotional games I've ever played, but I don't know if I could ever play it again. Just looking at Trico makes me want to cry! (I also think because the Trico's animation is so on point, it reminds me so much of a beloved pet that has since passed away, and that makes it harder again.)

I also always wonder if I did replay the game, would my Trico be the same? I'm weirdly heartbroken at the thought of replaying it, but not having 'my' Trico again.

My Trico was incredibly responsive, and I didn't really have an issues with him - the only time I had a problem was the cave where you have to tell him to dive underwater holding onto his back, and I think nearly every player had problems there. In my playthough, I always removed spears, cleaned off any blood, gave Trico pats - SO MANY PATS! - and fed him whenever possible. I still don't know if it genuinely change how Trico interacted with me, or whether it is just a placebo effect. (There's a post on the TLG subreddit about Trico's behavior changing on replays, but I don't know if more info has been found since.)

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best and most emotional games I've played in 10 years easily. The third act was something else- I never felt more helpless and angry in a game like that in my life

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
With the benefit of hindsight I like it even more.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best games I've ever played. There's nothing else like it. The ending was incredible.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
One of the best games I've played. Truly marvelous, emotional, and clever.

It's wonky in terms of mechanics but I've never had many problems with it. I understand that the game didn't work correctly for other people and that's unfortunate. Others didn't like it's design at all and I can understand that as well.

To me it was magnificent, completed it three times in a row.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A masterpiece - a magical experience.

Just frustrated that it never received any patches/updates. Just like Bloodborne.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Flawed masterpiece. I'll say i think it ended up being a good 3-5 hours too long but truly unique game and i don't think we will ever get anything like this again until uedas next title.
Easily in my top games this generation and honestly of all time. Nothing else like it, no other character like trico, amazing music and that last hour... woooow. Amazing! And yes i did cry lol

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've only played it the once but really enjoyed it. It's certainly not a top 5 all timer like SotC but it was still a really cool, unique game. Trico was just outstanding, I loved its behaviour and animations and forging a bond over the course of the game. It's actually been on my mind a bit lately, I might have to revisit the game and see how it holds up.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games of the gen, and my 2016 GOTY.
Amazing journey full of insane setpieces balanced perfectly with calm moments, a lot of crazy lore all around and Trico...is the very best companion in gaming.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game that was somewhat let down by technical issues and jank, somewhat understandable given the complexity of the design.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It's a game I don't often think about and couldn't play again. But it was my 2016 GOTY and made me cry several times.

I loved it, warts and all.

Oct 26, 2017
I had no expectations going in, heck I was tired of hearing about it , but absolutely adored every second in the game. Jank here and there didn't bother me.

I think the game is majestic

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I'd like to revisit it again but don't have enough time to do so.

I liked what I played and still consider it a very good game, one of the best I've played on PS4.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Trico is a wonderful AI.
It's almost like a real living creature. Sometimes it'll refuse to hear you, it'll look at you like "uh ? What you're saying to me ?"

QuantumBro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, Platform Warring, and Hostility; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
The worst game Sony put out in the last decade and the ultimate proof that console fans have no idea what they are talking about and should be ignored/mocked.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The same as I ever did.

Pretty sometimes.
Often annoying.
A technical mess.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
My little brother made me play it once. Went into it wanting the magical experience that it looked like through all those years. Playing it I loved its presentation and felt some of that which I hoped, but then kept playing and thought it was just an extremely tedious and boring experience, just shutting of the ps4 at some point and since then i'm just held off to play it. I never wanted to play it again.

Game is fucking beautiful but just really isnt fun to actually play

The same as I ever did.

Pretty sometimes.
Often annoying.
A technical mess.
This in short

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Still love and adore it. I felt it was the closest thing to mimicking an actual pet in videogames and it will remain special for that aspect alone until something trumps it. I tend to sell all my PS4 games as the years go by, but this one remains on my shelf.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What a masterpiece this game is. I can complain about controls or performance but honestly the complaints go out the window as you get sucked into the experience this game offers.

No game has ever touched me emotionally like The last Guardian.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it when it released and would like to play it again someday but there are just too many games to play out there.

I'm interested to see how I feel about it on a second playthrough but the first one certainly left an impression.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I swear to God I listen to the soundtrack daily while working or writting essays

And no matter how many times I listen to it, I always have teary eyes when "Epilogue" comes up

The soundtrack is sublime, and should be mentioned everytime someone wants to discuss about the best soundtrack of the generation

The game was flawed. If Trico should be a dumbass sometimes and not listen to commands because the developer intended that way, we will never know for sure. But it made me mad, and still makes me mad when I try to replay this game

But the emotional connectional between the boy and Trico, oh man ...

I haven't experienced something like that with gaming since TloU

I'll always love this game

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I completely understand why people had various issues with it.

And I don't give a shit because my experience was king and I enjoyed every minute of it. Played through four times.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I think everyone is waiting for Death Stranding to do something daring and new in games while Last Guardian did it already.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I still absolutely love it. I've revisited it twice since it's original release. It will never not make me cry like a baby. I think about the bond with Trico, and my I feel my hear well up.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Absolutely awful game. It's built around a concept that barely works as a control mechanism, and that favored an empty emotional connection over actual usability.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even remember I have a physical copy of this game somewhere until I saw this thread. That should tell you just enough

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
It was one of the most amazing and rewarding experiences I have had this gen. I replayed it again this year with my girlfriend next to me and it felt as magical as that Christmas night I first played it in 2016.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
It's something i'll probably never play again, but i loved my time with it and the ending made me ugly cry lol.
One of my favorite experiences of this gen.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's something i'll probably never play again, but i loved my time with it and the ending made me ugly cry lol.
One of my favorite experiences of this gen.

Yeah this.

I don't see it being a game I could revisit. Kind of like Journey in that the one-off experience is quite special taken as it is.

The game is a flawed masterpiece. It's absolutely stunning and sweeping and I think it deserves as much love as its predecessors. There really is nothing else like it.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the top three games of this gen and probably the one that tugged at my heartstrings the most. Trico is an incredible creation.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I felt no sense of progress, I felt no sense of joy. I quit after 5 hours. Loved SOTC and ICO

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm glad to see that not everyone in here is cold and dead inside.

I feel bad for those that it wasn't a good experience for. It's truly something special to me.

Legitimately, it's a story and experience I might carry with me my whole life. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but three years later, the soundtrack still makes me ugly cry. It's something I hope I can share with my children one day when I have them and hopefully they can appreciate it's beauty.

Oct 27, 2017
It was great imo. Flawed but amazing. I felt a real connection to Trico. I didn't really get much of the AI complaints at launch, took the occasional disobey as a feature idk. I know that sounds silly.

Loved it and the ending. Literally can not wait for ueda's next game