• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I don't play a lot of story driven games so I'll say Rocket League. I still remember the first time I scored, the massive explosion of dopamine in my brain, and I was hooked.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Control really did a number on me, I was so invested in everything in the oldest house, read every single file, listen to the audio logs, went for the dlcs, got the platinum, just hooked me from the star. And the AWE dlc was just amazing to a Alan Wake fan.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Kingdom Hearts Union X (there's been plenty of stronger game stories, but this was the most recent one that had me say "woah" out loud, lol).

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Agreed on this.

I really liked how the story was told through exploration, as for the main missions you typically went into areas you hadn't visited before. You could begin to piece things together through the details in the environment, before seeing how things played out in the past in real time.

Once you get past a certain point it becomes harder to resist the temptation to beeline towards the main objectives as you simply want to know more about this world and its past.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple times throughout Outer Wilds
  • Figuring out what can be done with quantum rocks
  • Powering the testing lab and seeing the results
  • Accessing sun station
  • Learning result of sun station experiment
  • Realising why the Hearthians still exist while the Nomai don't
  • Finding quantum trials
  • Quantum moon's sixth location

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Florence. There's been stuff before it that tells its story just as well (Up's opening scene comes to mind), but the minigames, from arranging things on a couple shelf and choosing which piece of sushi to eat first does a whole lot to make things just a tad more felt and personal. The closest thing to a poem in game form.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Demon's Souls remake. Still the most impressive next-gen game I've come across. It's stupid good looking!

whoops, didn't read "story" in the title...Hmmmm probably TLOU2, never saw so much commentary about a game before, it was really fun experiencing that story at launch. What a ride.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Great pick. I would also say The Last of Us Part II is probably the best video game story though. No other game is so aware of the connections the audience has formed with the characters and exploits them to put you in the exact headspace it wants you in. If you allow the game to take you on its journey, you will be rewarded with the best story video games have to offer.

The Last of Us Part II.

They went there. I fucking hated it at first.

Now it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Exactly this. You were exactly where they wanted you the whole time. It's so well done.

Game story alone?

God of War

The reveal in the end.

That ending tease made me jump out of my chair. Never been sold on a sequel so hard.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Deadcells, my gaming consist of rogue-lites and Monster hunter so not a huge impactful story in most of them.

You are the king and every time you die you lose your memories. Before becoming the beheaded the king wanted to imprison and kill anyone that had the infection.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Recently, Judgment.

It was a fun crime thriller drama whatever you wanna call it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
The Last Of Us Part II has the most impactfull story I've ever experienced playing a game.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I'm not sure about "blowing my mind" but the last game story to affect me emotionally in a big way was The Last of Us Part II.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us 2. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it for the past year.

Before that, Disco Elysium, although that's not really a case of the story as a *whole* blowing my mind as much as it is little pockets of writing here and there.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As a whole The Last of Us II was bold, innovative and ultimately draining. I don't know if any moment in the story actually caught me off guard, it was more of the the actual gameplay scenario of going against the "hero" that sort of blew my mind and put everything into perspective.

In the previous game the convo with David was a mind fuck as well, they way he described your actions without you knowing it was about you at first and made you look at yourself as the villain. I thought that was a great moment and a really nice twist.

The last time I went full mind blown over a story twist was "Would you kindly?" I still haven't had one like that in a looooooong time.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Actually came to say this. Absolutely loved this story and finding all the lore behind it. One of those aspects of the game I didn't expect to be great, but man it delivered.
I keep hearing this so I'm still waiting for a PS5 patch, Sony pls. For me, it was probably AI the Somnium Files. So many twists and turns.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Horizon Zero Dawn, it has the best plot twist of past generation. Years have passed since I finished it and I have yet to blow my mind with anything else, let alone top Zero Dawn's explanation.

Bugsnax had surprises, but the last segment had me more trying not to puke than anything.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Horizon.

i legit didn't expect things to get so dark.

returnals has been interesting so far, though I've not yet gotten to the big twist.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
This one is tough because "blow your mind" implies that it really surprised you in some way. Under that rubric, I was actually surprised by the reveal at the end of 13 Sentinels. Looking back after that reveal, I don't think the story is mind-blowing in its quality, necessarily. It's very enjoyable, but the method of storytelling wasn't especially novel. It didn't really take advantage of the things games can do outside of letting you move around some of the most impressive 2D art ever created.

So overall, I'd say Shadow of the Colossus was the last game story to really blow my mind. It sets up a solid beginning through a traditional cutscene, but then really takes a hand-off approach, letting the player explore the space emotionally. And then it ties everything together at the end, forcing the player to reconcile how they felt about the game while they were playing it with the inescapable result.

All three of Ueda's games have managed to pull that off, but Shadow of the Colossus was the first one that I played and, thus, had the largest impact.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer for Stranger of Paradise: Final fantasy origin. I couldn't believe what the motivation of the protagonist was when I found out. You have to listen very carefully or you'll miss it.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
Just echoing some other people's comments:

Soma told a really interesting and thought-provoking story in a fairly simple but powerful way. I really liked the delivery.

TLOU2 told what I thought was a fairly ordinary revenge story but added so much nuance and emotion to it that it really stuck with me for way longer than I expected. The characters in it are some of my favourites in any medium.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I've heard this before but never played the game. Could you tell the plot in spoiler tags? I'm curious about this.

Just google it. The story is super long and I'm not sure I could best summarize it with spoiler tags unless I typed forever.

Honestly I would recommend not reading the story and just playing the game as it's one of the best games of last generation.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
My definition of mind blowing: invested in story, invested in characters

LoU2, pretty good!
Edith Finch, walking sim, but great!
undertale, old now, but also very good
mother 3, very old, also, pretty good

other 'story heavy' games recommended to me I bounced off of:

new god of war (sloggy middle)
disco elysium(cant get into this one for some reason, P&C , adventure game I guess?)
omori(slow start, didn't hook me)
nier: automata (got past the first cycle, lost interest.. I know I'm missing out, don't have the energy to replay it 10 times or w/e)

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I will go with 2020 GotY Hades. Several strong moments at the time I was playing it, but took some more time to realize exactly how good also that aspect of the game was.