• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Welcome back once more to our celebration of the last decade in gaming. Together we will be counting down to the launch of a Game of the Decade vote remembering ten years of video gaming with all of you. We are excited to introduce our brand new voting system our tech team has been hard at work on that will allow users to consider games for special awards like those seen in the big awards shows. We are just two years into the decade and much as already happened for a look back click here: 2010 / 2011. Today were are taking a look back at the last full year of the seventh console generation 2012!

GOTDlargecells5.png

As the end of the seventh console generation began to loom over the industry, 2012 would prove to be a slower year for the decade with developers focused on finishing their last games for the cycle or already kicking into gear for the next consoles. Nonetheless, we did still have some news hit through the year the first of which came with the release of Binary Domain from Sega. Binary Domain, for those unaware, was a game in which global warming has flooded major cities killing a significant portion of the population and the development of robotics has led to the creation of the "Hollow Children". Now you'd be forgiven if you didn't know about Binary Domain, it didn't sell well at all, selling 20,000 copies in North America two months after release. Not great for a Triple-A release from a major publisher. The games failure led to mass layoffs in Sega's western division and a significant reduction in their plans for western releases for years to come. Goes to show you can't put too much faith in just one title, even two titles would be risky. If you were in a place that the fate of your future was reliant on just two things I wonder what you would call that. Maybe some kind of binary place. Like a domain but for two things. I am dragging this out too long, aren't I?

Moving on, we had an eventful E3 for 2012 with Nintendo especially arriving with an expansive slate of twenty-three games set to release that fall with the launch of the Wii U in November. These titles included showings for games such as Pikmin 3, ZombiU, and New Super Mario Bros. U. Nintendo also featured a small lineup of games for the 3DS which was set to receive its first update with the Nintendo 3DS XL in August. Other significant showings for the year include Microsoft who riding high on a generation of success hosted "Xbox: Entertainment Evolved" introducing Xbox SmartGlass, Xbox Music, and doubling down on Kinect. In addition to the entertainment focus, they also showed some games like Halo 4, Resident Evil 6, Tomb Raider, and new IP LocoCycle. Sure is strange seeing Xbox go so hard into non-gaming or peripherals at a show, I am sure that won't be repeated once going forward.

In addition to these events, we also saw the twenty-fifth anniversaries of several beloved franchises with Street Fighter, Mega Man, and Metal Gear each hitting the notable milestone. For the first two, it meant the release of Street Fighter X Mega Man a crossover game featuring Mega Man face off with various Street Fighter fighters. Metal Gear fans got to enjoy... Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops? But really the anniversary did come with Hideo Kojima teasing the next game in the franchise through various demos, and a trailer, kind of. A game was debuted at the Spike Video Game Awards where a trailer for The Phantom Pain by the previously unknown Moby Dick Studios debuted including an interview with totally bandaged lead developer Joakim Mogren. People quickly found this all bizarre and did some detective work. This detective work would eventually bear fruit when in 2013 The Phantom Pain was confirmed to be the next Metal Gear.

Briefly, we also saw the western release of the Playstation Vita in mid-February. If you missed it you can read more about that system in the 2011 recap.

GOTDtwo2.png

As the generation began to wind down 2012 found itself a bit sparser than many of the other years in the decade. That is not to say there weren't some major releases though, franchises continued to dominate the year with the biggest splash of the year coming from Mass Effect 3, which was... controversial. Coming as the conclusive game in a beloved series expectations were set high, and well for many, the game didn't hit the mark. As the conclusive game in the trilogy, it saw Commander Shepard make one last stand against the Reaper invasion in a dramatic conclusion that sought to guide the player to one final choice in the fate of the galaxy. In other controversial titles, Resident Evil 6 released. Following the success of the action-oriented Resident Evil 5 turning the action up to eleven with four separate campaigns that intertwine and split out again as they take on viral outbreaks around the world. In other apocalyptic events, Darksiders II followed up the first game with War in chains Death seeks out evidence that his brother is innocent of all crimes accused and maybe resurrect humanity along the way. In other epic adventures, we also have Borderlands 2 a sequel that takes a dramatic step forward from its predecessor with off the wall writing and a massive campaign of looting and shooting as you and your vault hunting team go up against the charismatic Handsome Jack. In a similar vein of charismatic villains, Far Cry 3 released sending the player on an island adventure out of their element against the charming Vaas Montenegro and an army in the hopes of rescuing some innocent friends.

In series resurrections XCOM: Enemy Unknown saw UFO: Enemy Unknown and XCOM come together to bring a turn-based tactics look at the alien story as the player fights with their squad against an alien invasion. Similarly, Halo 4 revived the story of Master Chief with a new studio as he is reawakened to face new threats the Didact as Cortana begins to face A.I. rampancy from extended time in service. Finally, we also saw the revival of Max Payne with Max Payne 3 developed by Rockstar Studios. Having acquired the rights of the franchise to tell this story Rockstar takes an older Max Payne on a journey of corruption in Brazil as he faces his demons in a linear cinematic story unlike the first games in the series nor other Rockstar games.

Out of Japan, we saw a slew of handheld releases for the 3DS and Vita that dominated the market. First, we have Gravity Rush (called Gravity Daze in Japan) a gravity bending game where you play as the amnesiac Kat as she uncovers her past. Then we have the Resident Evil spinoff Resident Evil: Revelations which sees Jill Valentine on a mission to uncover the mystery behind Veltro and the destruction of the floating city of Terragrigia. In other franchises Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 released in the West becoming the first proper sequels in the series seeing a return to Unova a few years later after the defeat of N and Team Plasma following the resurfacing of the villainous team with a new mission. Finally, we also saw the release of Persona 4 Golden on the Vita with an expanded story and gameplay features.

In the realm of new IP, there were some very exciting new games released. In a subversion of the typical third-person military shooter Spec Ops: The Line brought the player face to face with their actions of destruction in a wartorn Dubai. Dishonored saw Arkane Studios brought Arkane back from a creative slump after a few canceled titles with an immersive sim set in a plague-stricken nation following the assassination of the empress. Finally, Sleeping Dogs brought a new perspective to the open-world game as Wei Shen descended into the underworld of Hong Kong determined to take down the triads and face a split allegiance between his friends in the underworld and his duties as to the law.

GOTDone2.png

2012 in many ways was a breakout year for many reasons on the indie scene as game developers were seeing greater and greater successes. Leading this charge was the widely acclaimed Telltale's The Walking Dead which saw Telltale rise overnight to widespread adoration as they told a story of family and forgiveness in episodic form. The game was a success for many reasons from its diversity of choice, youtube popularity but more than anything people took away from it a success in character as the player is put into the shoes of a man who is a killer and is forced to reckon with his past when he is given a second chance in the end times.

In further explorations of artistic endeavors, Journey told a story of companionship in which the player was automatically assigned to another person somewhere in the world playing at the same time and never told who they were and never given ways to communicate beyond those gameplay mechanics built into the story. This unique game made a huge splash and has continued to be remembered fondly for each player's own experiences. One final story focused indie title is Dear Esther a minimalist story in which the player explores an abandoned island as they discover remnants of the past coming to their own conclusions about the stories told.

In the gameplay side of the indie space, a few titles dominated for unique and inventive mechanics of play. Fez impressed with a unique world turning puzzle platformer and later becoming the center of a larger conversation about the games industry and its developers. FTL: Faster Than Light saw players devise inventive strategies as they pushed through eight sectors of space facing new threats at every turn knowing all the while that defeat set them back to the starting line. In other genres, Hotline Miami introduced players go up against the mafia in an ultra-violent neon-soaked world where every movement brings the player closer to death and success.

Finally, we saw the ultra success of Slender for its youtube driven thrills in which players were guided around the woods hoping to find pages in hopes of surviving the night. The game despite its simple concept was successful for its endless watchability with fans enjoying the high tension thrills of their favorite creators not unlike that of Amnesia just two years prior.

GOTDthree2.png

To 2012s credit the awards season revealed that it doesn't always have to be the biggest studio or IP to garner recognition with the top two award winners being from smaller studios. In 2012 according to gotypicks the big winner was Telltale's The Walking Dead with 75 total awards. It was a comfortable win with the next three awards winners coming in at 57 awards for Journey, 51 awards for Far Cry 3, and 49 for Dishonored. The major awards shows awards are as follows:

So in a strange year for the industry we saw some amazing games release, we can't discuss them all so we will hand the conversation over to you. What was your favorite game of 2012? Did we talk about it here or not? We encourage you to keep thinking about these years in the context of the decade at large. Next up we will be discussing 2013 a significant year for the industry as the eight console generation took off!

Special thanks to B-Dubs for help in putting together and revising things, to Delphine for help putting together graphics, to pjl93 for help compiling games and events for each year, and to the entirety of the Game of the Year team for their input.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Was a pretty booty year after 2011, but Hotline Miami and Max Payne 3 made for a great high-intensity action combo.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Three games on my GOTD list, The Walking Dead: Season One, Persona 4 Golden and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, came out in 2012. One of them is even my #1. Fantastic year for games, imo.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
No 1 year is bad when you're looking at the top tier games but I think this is a candidate for weakest of the decade.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Max Payne 3 was so good.
Halo 4 was absolutely fine, never understood the harsh criticism for it.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It seems to be a contrary opinion to the norm, but I just couldn't get in to Sleeping Dogs at all. Don't know why.

May 17, 2019
I'd say that 2012 was the year that indies really took off and everything got more interesting. It was also the year where the roots of Gamergate began to spread

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The return of XCOM, and by Firaxis of all people, was a wonderful surprise.

The game took most of what made the original X-Com so great, and reimagined it for a modern take on things. It has its flaws, yes, but it is a great example of how to revive an old franchise into something new.

It also help cement in one important message: "Turn based games still sell!"

A message that some publishes cannot be be reminded of often enough.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Journey is still, to this day, my favorite game ever. A classic, it just never gets old.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe Sleeping Dogs is 8 years old. Man I had such a great time with that game.

Seriously, though, that XCOM reboot was just the hottest of hot fire. I loved it so much and I'm so excited for a proper follow up to 2.

Shout out to Lego LOTR for trying some new stuff, and RIP to THQ.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Max Payne 3 needs to be remastered or something. The lack of BC has always bummed me out.

Also, Sleeping Dogs surprised me on how much I ended up loving it. Telltale's Walk Dead was also amazing and still their best work. Mass Effect 3 I loved too, the ending stuff was pretty fun to discuss on the internet around then.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dishonored
Borderlands 2
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
FTL
Darksiders 2
Torchlight 2
The Walking Dead
Journey
Fez

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I really liked Binary Domain, I thought it added a lot of fun elements in the robots crawling along like the Terminator when you shot up their legs, or the giant spider robot boss hopping around on however many legs it had left. Great fun. I also enjoyed ME3 right up to the last hour or so.

The Last Story (Wii) and Xcom EU were probably my games of the year on home consoles.

On portables, I mostly remember being addicted to Professor Layton & the Miracle Mask on 3DS and Hotline Miami on the Vita at the end of the year.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Pretty disappointing year since two of my favorite franchises put out ME3 and RE6. Though I guess I've come to appreciate them for what they are now.

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored is such a cool game with sublime level design and fun gameplay mechanics. I gotta say that is my favorite game of the year. There was also another fun stealth game released that year - Mark of the Ninja.

Lately I've been playing through Spec Ops: The Line via PlayStation Now but I'm pretty early in the game so not much to say about it yet, but imo its controls are showing a bit of age there for being a shooter. Not feeling as comfortable with the controls and movements as with some other shooters.

Not much to say about that year for gaming. I tried Sleeping Dogs and I liked the story setting but not that much the open world aspect there so I dropped it.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
I think i played about 900 hours of Football Manager 2012 in that year.. beyond that, very little happened in this year that i remember getting really excited about~

Edit: oh, well i enjoyed Dishonored a lot when i played it last year.

Last edited:

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
On one hand, 2012 was the year when Xenoblade released overseas.

On the other hand, 2012 was the year when Paper Mario: Sticker Star released.

So probably a mixed year?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Journey takes the crown for me, such an incredible experience that I'm glad I played. If you own a system that can play it, do so!

Spec Ops The Line is my second choice, but I didn't get to play it until near the end of the year. While the combat itself does the job, how it plays into the narrative is what makes it work. The actors knocked this out of the park, especially after The Gate chapter.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Dragon's Dogma, y'all
Now that's a good pick that I had forgotten about. I remember being really impressed with the monster animations, particularly the way Hydra moved. It just seemed really well researched on animal behaviour (not that that surprises me with Capcom because MonHun etc).

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
91jQPUh9KoL._SX342_.jpg

Real secret best game of 2012. Japan-only title developed by FROM Software. Plays a lot like their earlier Another Century's Episode titles with space-based combat where you set up a team to back you up, including capital ships. I pimp this game hard whenever I have a chance, but you should be able to get a cheap copy off Amazon Marketplace or eBay.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abysmal ending aside, Mass Effect 3 was a brilliant conclusion to the series. It's a shame the very end will always leave a bad taste in my mouth though.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Not an incredible year but a lot better than most people give it credit for.
X-Com Enemy Unknown was fantastic, as were Journey, TWD, Dishonored, Gravity Rush and Sleeping Dogs.
ME3's ending was incredibly disappointing but the game itself was fine.
Also had a good time with Far Cry 3 and Max Payne 3.
RE6 was pretty disappointing but playing Mercs on No Mercy on PC was one of my favorite things of last gen thanks to the incredible gameplay that was held back by the poorly designed campaign.

A solid year overall.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
My favourite part of this year was how Yager and Thatgamecompany both identified the same problem affecting video games - too much reliance on the glorification of violence, following waypoint markers and doing whatever the game tells you to do without question, even if that involves killing people.

But while Yager broached that topic by creating... yet another third person cover based shooter where you follow waypoint markers and do whatever the game tells you to do without question, even if it involves killing people. Thatgamecompnay took an entirely different approach by creating a game that simply doesn't involve killing things. And while we're seeing a lot of indie games, and even the odd AAA title, explore non-violent gameplay a lot more now, it was still pretty rare back in 2012, and Journey proved the market is perfectly happy to play non-action games.

I still loved Spec Ops The Line for having the balls to market itself as a traditional third person shooter, and love wondering when most casual players finally caught on to what was happening. I think it was an important game, just like Journey, for the same reasons. And I love that they both approached this problem in different ways. But I'm also glad that it's Journey that is more fondly remembered and recognized in hindsight, because I think it went the extra step in creating a solution to this problem, rather than just pointing out the problem.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that year one of the best games for Wii U released :D
latest

Including the best Metroid and best Pikmin games!

Edit: Also the Zombi U with the map stuff was great, really fun game.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I regret not giving Sleeping Dogs a shot when it come out; I was actually following the game fairly closely when it was still True Crime: Hong Kong, then sort of lost interest after it was rebranded as Sleeping Dogs, and other games began catching my attention. I got the PS4 Definitive Edition years later and enjoyed it, but it would've been well worth the price at launch.

All in all, 2012 was a solid year: Dishonored was an awesome E3 surprise and helped me get into the stealth genre, Dragon's Dogma blew me away (I probably played the Griffin fight demo about 20 times), and then there was Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed III which had their ups and downs. 2012 is also when the Vita launched in NA; picked mine up with Shinobido 2 which was definitely one of my favorite games of the year. I suppose, however, that those all count for 2011 since that's when they were originally released in Japan.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Really decent/ok year for JRPGs. We got Xenoblade, FFXIII-2, Tales of the Abyss

Also, one of my absolute favorite games of all time. Wish I could erase my memory just to experience this game all over again.

81%2BLjYADstL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

d2c1aaae8e33443e5e8196adf429b74d.jpg

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I still have that little USB whale oil lamp that you got when you preordered Dishonored at Best Buy. Oh, and the game itself was fucking marvelous. Best not-Thief game ever, until the sequel at least.

Other highlights:
-I enjoyed the Darkness II over the original, I know that might be blasphemy to some. I preferred the comic-inspired art style of the sequel, and the gameplay had a much faster pace. It might be because I played it on PC while the original is still stuck on the PS3 and 360, though.
-Orcs Must Die! 2 was more Orcs Must Die! I enjoyed both games and can't wait for OMD3 to finally arrive next year.
-Hard Reset was the debut game from Flying Wild Hog, and I liked it. It was a pretty standard throwback shooter, which was FWH's pedigree.
-I really, really need to replay Quantum Conundrum. I had a lot of fun in that game.

Lowlights:
-I know some people here like Syndicate, but I feel like EA could have avoided a lot of the hostility it got by not attaching the Syndicate name to it.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
1. Journey
2. Hotline Miami
3. The Walking Dead
4. Mass Effect 3
5. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
6. Dishonored
7. Fez
8. Spelunky
9. Spec Ops: The Line
10. Dragon's Dogma

journey is special

hotline miami and spelunky are perfect

lee and clem make up one of the best relationships in the medium

mass effect 3 is good, actually, and that ending isn't as awful as so many people say it is

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
2012 was a personal favorite of mine. I remember I left for bootcamp the same day that Diablo III and Max Payne 3 got released, two games that I waited years to play. It was weird because when I finally got out of basic training I had no knowledge of all the gaming news for the past couple months. I spent a whole day just catching up on what happened, especially the Diablo III auction house controversy.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I still have to play Max Payne 3, I even have it in my steam library, objectively speaking: Was it any good in retrospective? -Compared to remedy's Max Payne 2 especially.

As for my picks:
  • The Walking Dead was truly great even though it's hard to call it a game, it is almost on par with The Last of Us in terms of Zombie-Apocalypse done right.
  • Virtues Last Reward on the 3DS was quite nice, even though the ending was a bit unsatisfying even when completing everything
  • Mass Effect 3 was good but it felt very rushed in the end, the red blue green endings didn't help with that feeling, the trilogy went from RPG to Shooter from 1-3...
  • XCOM I absolutely adored, I have fond memories for it still and I find it better than the Sequel, less convoluted if you could say that, a better execution imo.
  • Journey was a master piece in game design, I'm glad to have experienced it, even though it was a very short game.
  • Dishonored was such a different experience, it elevated the "thief" formula to new heights
  • Persona 4 Golden, the sole reason why I got a PS Vita and the only game I platinumed on that platform, never regretted it.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles the swan song of the Wii, this is how you do JRPGs!
  • Borderlands 2, I enjoyed a lot at first but in the end I didn't finish it as the gameplay got too repetive for my taste...
  • Diablo III, played through it in various difficulties, really enjoyed the story and cinematics too, despite the horrible online-errors, something like that wouldn't happen nowadays I guess.
  • Alan Wake, I sneak it in here, even though it was released in 2010 and I counted it there too, forgot that the PC version had to wait till 2012 but I only experienced it here and it was a blast.

Last edited:

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
2012 was a fine year with some great games, but I do think it was one of the weaker years in that decade.

I did love:

Journey
The Walking Dead Season 1
Far Cry 3
Max Payne 3
Sleeping Dogs
Spec Ops

Halo 4 sucked and I did enjoy Mass Effect 3, even though its the weakest out of the 3.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
2012 while not as great as the previous 2 years still had some amazing games. My top 5 that year were Dishonored, The Walking Dead, Mass Effect 3, Spec Ops: The Line and Journey. I'd imagine if I ever get to finishing Persona 4 Golden it'd be in my top 5.

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
1- Walking Dead Season 1
2- Binary Domain
3- Journey
4- LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
5- Max Payne 3
6- Mass Effect 3
7- Sleeping Dogs
8- Lollipop Chainsaw
9- Double Dragon Neon
10-Dishonored

I like Far Cry 3 too.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, now we're into when I started putting together GOTY lists...

1. Mass Effect 3
  2. Halo 4
  3. FTL
  4. Kid Icarus Uprising
  5. Spec Ops The Line
  6. Xenoblade Chronicles
  7. The Last Story
  8. Spelunky
  9. Walking Dead
  10. Journey

Real happy I started doing these lists, nice to see where my thinking was at the time. I'm reminded how I played Journey without realising I was missing the main audio channel, going back to the game on PS4 really drove home how much the score added to the experience. I'd definitely move it higher on the list now.

I still feel strongly about Mass Effect's position at the top there. Slowly picking at that game, 1 mission a night or so, was a wonderful experience and by the time I got around to the end the extended cut was something I knew to wait for. Though looking back on the original ending after rolling credits I realised wouldn't have been too miffed by it.

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 4 Golden was easily the best game that year, although I didn't play it until later technically. I remember feeling gut punched by Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed III with how they handled their endings too.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Joining the conga line of Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs being both absolutely great games you should play. Also on a massive technicality, the simulation game that made simulation games stand out, ETS2, was released in retail this year.