• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Reached the third world.

This game is really good honestly. The puzzles aren't too challenging, but they've definitely become a little more involved. I really like the world and the way everything comes together.

It's a shame there's not many reviews. It's not ground breaking, but it does what it does very well.

DAT CHARM

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
What kinda puzzles are these? Are they more Zelda dungeon-y or like logic or shape/movement based? Is it all one kind of puzzles or are they pretty diverse?

Oct 25, 2017
What kinda puzzles are these? Are they more Zelda dungeon-y or like logic or shape/movement based? Is it all one kind of puzzles or are they pretty diverse?

It's kind of a sokoban style game -- you'll be pushing blocks around, rotating things, and positioning yourself and other entities to get things from point A to B.

I just finished the game, and I have to say: this is a really nice, beautiful little game. At just under 5 hours for a mostly completionist playthrough, it's a small package, but the price is right and there are collectibles and other things to find even if there's no replay value, strictly speaking. I found the overall sentiment of the game quite touching, and there's actually a bit of lore here that is presented with just enough room to leave the imagination some space to play around in. It's somber, bittersweet, and at the same time playful and vibrant. The narrative brings a soul along to play with the visuals that bring the heart.

As a puzzle game, it's a bit of a hit and miss. The game actually has tools to provide uniquely clever puzzle designs, but it seems terrified to overstay its welcome with them, and equally concerned with making them too difficult. As someone who loves a good puzzle game, there are great ideas here that purposefully only skim the surface of the possibilities. I don't know whether to be impressed with the restraint needed to not go further with them, or criticize that they didn't.

There are light adventure game elements here (finding items, given them to the right people to unlock further paths), and a few interesting characters, but the scale of this game is small, and the imprint it wants to have on you equally so. I recommend this game to fans of the puzzle genre who are willing to play through mostly easy content that values the idea and presentation more than the execution and difficulty. Everyone else should consider if they're fine with that stuff, and proceed if the price and content match favorably in their mind.

edit: I want to mention, even though it slipped my mind because it's really not a big issue: the game has a few bugs that can make some of the interactions more painful than they should be. I found that my character would sometimes get stuck and I'd have to click my mouse a lot to unstuck. Also, there wasn't a way that I saw to rebind the controls on PC, so I was limited to the arrow keys for movement on keyboard which sucks. I suspect most of this game works far, far better on controller. Also, there are some visual bugs, and sound glitches -- voices sometimes overlap during narration. It's like most of the polish went to the visuals which are immaculate, but controls and other aspects left me feeling like a patch is needed for this one, at least on keyboard / mouse and PC in general.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Spoo, thanks so much for fielding my question and for your detailed impressions of the game. Are the puzzles uber easy like in the first hour or so of Rime, if you happened to play that? They weren't very interactive and there wasn't much thought to solving them...they were more like minimal interactions with the environment and less like puzzles to me. You said these are on the easy side but I just want to see if they're at least engaging and require some thought since it sounds like they do.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Spoo, thanks so much for fielding my question and for your detailed impressions of the game. Are the puzzles uber easy like in the first hour or so of Rime, if you happened to play that? They weren't very interactive and there wasn't much thought to solving them...they were more like minimal interactions with the environment and less like puzzles to me. You said these are on the easy side but I just want to see if they're at least engaging and require some thought since it sounds like they do.

So I don't particularly recall Rime's first hour that well, though I did play some of that, and I don't remember it even having traditional puzzles. You will need to put in some thought for the puzzles in Last Campfire. I consider them 'easy' because you will almost certainly not become 'hard stuck' like you might on a puzzle in The Witness, or Baba is You or something. But there were at least two or three puzzles in the game where you need to think somewhat carefully about what you're trying to do before you're able to do it, and even then the execution may have one or two tricky / contrived 'gotcha' moments that will eliminate your proposed solution. To be clear: most of the 'overworld' puzzles are quite simple (flip a switch, give character an item, etc), but there are sub-worlds that are essentially mini-puzzles with their own clever mechanical constructs.

To be sure, I'd recommend checking out a stream on Twitch of the game or something. Just seeing a single level will give you a good idea of the cadence and approach the game takes.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Do the console or PC versions have separate toggles for music volume and dialogue volume? I'm playing on iOS with the free month of Apple Arcade, but the voiceover is really detracting from the experience for me. Would love to be able to turn that all the way down but still have the music playing.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Only played an hour or so, completed the first area and so far really liking the game. Just has a really love chill vibe/aesthetic

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Are the people playing this in under 5 hours rushing through it lol? I nearly have 10 and I'm not done yet!

Kind of don't want it to be over, it's a really sweet game.

EDIT: Finished! I really enjoyed that. It's a good length for the game and I appreciate it not outstaying its welcome, but at the same time I wouldn't have minded another "world" with more challenging puzzles. It would honestly be a really great game for kids, it's incredibly sweet and moving in places. The story is simple but quite touching.

Also figured out the mystery of the narrator's accent from the credits. The actor is Rachel August, who is British-Scandinavian

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I hit a game-breaking bug... I'm in the cavern area.

I revived the Builder robot and left that room, but did NOT open the water gate there. Now I can't open it again because the boat doesn't appear at that dock, so I can't get back into the Builder room.

Edit: Hah. Discovered that the PS4 version still has the debug menu in, so I fiddled with that and teleported to the room so I could fix it.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I love this game. Just discovered the third camp. So charming and relaxing.

I have collected everything and saved all of the forlorn so far aside from one journal entry - it bugged out and floated into a wall, I cannot open it, cannot move it into a place I can reach it with the lanthorn.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Spoo for your detailed reply and thoughts on the game. I think it sounds great. Just one more q for yu or anyone who sees this, does anything bad or sad happen to the animals in the game, like the pig character? Thanks and feel free to spoil me (with tags), I'd rather know going in.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished. Very lovely game. Great change of pace after playing stuff like The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima this summer, hah.

I ended up with 41/42 journal entries. I have no idea where I might have missed out on it.

I love this game. Just discovered the third camp. So charming and relaxing.

I have collected everything and saved all of the forlorn so far aside from one journal entry - it bugged out and floated into a wall, I cannot open it, cannot move it into a place I can reach it with the lanthorn.
Did you try quitting out and reentering? I had something like that happen once and just rebooting the game worked.

Thanks Spoo for your detailed reply and thoughts on the game. I think it sounds great. Just one more q for yu or anyone who sees this, does anything bad or sad happen to the animals in the game, like the pig character? Thanks and feel free to spoil me (with tags), I'd rather know going in.
Nah, you're safe.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Agree with the sentiment in the thread.

I just completed it there, took just over 7 hours and just really enjoyed the very chill vibe of the game. The game for sure is a small project, I had some minor graphical glitches and the loads at times stuttered on PS4 Pro but nothing that really took away from the game.

I ended up missing 4 of the journals, I'm sure I must have missed them early on as I didn't pay as much attention to the UI when going into an area.

One thing that isn't really a criticism but something I noticed a few times. Just the difficulty of the puzzles. I'd go from one which took a decent bit of time to figure out to the next one which would be simple.

Anyway, was looking forward to this, really enjoyed my time with it and it's a pretty easy platinum/100% to get since you don't actually need all the journal entries either

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I hit a game-breaking bug... I'm in the cavern area.

I revived the Builder robot and left that room, but did NOT open the water gate there. Now I can't open it again because the boat doesn't appear at that dock, so I can't get back into the Builder room.

Edit: Hah. Discovered that the PS4 version still has the debug menu in, so I fiddled with that and teleported to the room so I could fix it.

Wait hold up what lol. How did you access the debug menu.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
This game snuck up on me. Remember seeing a trailer a while back and noticed it was out today! Think I'll give it a shot!

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Finished! Had a great time with this. Played on Switch and it does seem like if you leave the game running and sleep the system it doesn't stop the game clock cuz it said it took me 27 hours to finish and that is definitely incorrect.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any technical issues with the Switch version? Seems like a great game to buy to play in bed when I'm winding down for the night.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Played an hour of this. Finished the first campfire. I like that you can sort of wonder around between areas and have to go back and forth to get everything done. I enjoy the narration. The art is really nice. The puzzles are pretty easy but still enjoyable. Just a solid charming game so far.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just finished. Platinum. That was the best gaming experience I've had since the first play through of Journey on the PS3.

When all of the embers you saved end up following you and the wanderer in their boats.... I'm not tearing up

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Ah, disappointed to hear The Last Campfire is a narrator based game. My partner reads all the time while I play games, and can't do so with talking games. I would have to play through it with headphones... which I rarely get around to.

Do any versions of this allow changing the narrator volume?

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, disappointed to hear The Last Campfire is a narrator based game. My partner reads all the time while I play games, and can't do so with talking games. I would have to play through it with headphones... which I rarely get around to.

Do any versions of this allow changing the narrator volume?

On PC at least you can turn the narrator volume to 0. It is a separate option from everything else.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Aww man, I had this firmly on the ignore list purely based on the lack of fanfare and reviews. But seeing the impressions here and the fact it looks lovely... I guess I'll have to give it a go.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to buy it in September (alongside another couple of indie games from the eShop)

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Loved No man's sky and I'm loving this so far (only got the first 7). Look forward to what the team does next!

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Not finished yet but i'm enjoying this and it's growing on me. Looks great visually and the puzzles are fun but easy. It seems the game was targetted for all ages. I'm playing on PS4 and the framerate tanks at certain points, especially while loading. Also, not completely sold on the narration, both the voice (seems like a younger person voiced the game?) and the writing. And there are some little annoyances here and there, like camera and UI issues. But overall, i look forward to continue playing.

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this morning. Not a fan of the whimsical voiceover personally, but I'm a fan of everything else so far.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone playing on Switch confirm whether the option to turn down the narrator volume to 0 exists there as well? And if so, can what the narrator says appear as subtitles?

I really disliked Bastion because of the narrator, and since then am wary of any game with a narrator.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Can anyone playing on Switch confirm whether the option to turn down the narrator volume to 0 exists there as well? And if so, can what the narrator says appear as subtitles?

I really disliked Bastion because of the narrator, and since then am wary of any game with a narrator.

There isn't an options menu on Switch, for anything. But yes the spoken words do appear on screen. Maybe listen to some of the narration on a let's play to see if you dislike it.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018

Yep, can confirm this option is available on Switch. The subtitles appear no matter what volume the narrator is set to so you will be good (would have been a dealbreaker for me as well)

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
There isn't an options menu on Switch, for anything. But yes the spoken words do appear on screen. Maybe listen to some of the narration on a let's play to see if you dislike it.
Thanks. Listened to a few, first I hated the narrator except it turned out to be the Youtuber doing the let's play, lol.

So I listened a bit and I can live with the actual narrator for this game. The Bastion one just pushed all the wrong buttons for me (and I found out I could have shut him up only after finishing Bastion, it did not occur to me to look for an option earlier...)

Yep, can confirm this option is available on Switch. The subtitles appear no matter what volume the narrator is set to so you will be good (would have been a dealbreaker for me as well)
Great news! While I now feel I can manage with this game's narrator, who knows how I will feel after a couple of hours :-)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As much as I love Hello Games, this is literally the first time I heard of this game! I had no idea it was coming! Bought it without a second thought. Love the art style, and the concept sounds intriguing. I'll play it tomorrow, as I've been up all night, and need to go to sleep. Really excited to try this.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I have it bought, downloaded, and waiting on my PS4 - I'm putting the final touches on a paper and sitting with the game will be my reward for finishing it! :D Looking forward to a cozy experience <3

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Hello Games, this is literally the first time I heard of this game! I had no idea it was coming! Bought it without a second thought. Love the art style, and the concept sounds intriguing. I'll play it tomorrow, as I've been up all night, and need to go to sleep. Really excited to try this.

It had a small spot on an xbox E3 show or something iirc from like 2018? Or maybe 2019.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It had a small spot on an xbox E3 show or something iirc from like 2018? Or maybe 2019.

Ahhh. I'm not an Xbox guy, so I don't really follow anything going on there, but to be honest, I miss out on a lot of game announcements, which isn't always a bad thing, actually! Sometimes I'll learn about a new game that's right up my alley, and find out is "available now!" And am like, "Sweet! Bought!" Lol. This is one of those times XD

EDIT: I noticed pressing L1 and R1 at the same time brings up a debut menu, but I can't select any of the options. How strange

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
it was at game awards 2018, and a 2020 indie world showcase from nintendo, and at an episode of inside xbox.
that's way more promo than most indie games could hope to get.

Ah game awards. That's what it was. The inside xbox is what threw me.

Ahhh. I'm not an Xbox guy, so I don't really follow anything going on there, but to be honest, I miss out on a lot of game announcements, which isn't always a bad thing, actually! Sometimes I'll learn about a new game that's right up my alley, and find out is "available now!" And am like, "Sweet! Bought!" Lol

EDIT: I noticed pressing L1 and R1 at the same time brings up a debut menu, but I can't select any of the options. How strange
This is one of those times XD

ctrl + F debug in this thread somewhere. Some guy navigated it to get past a glitch.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on the Xbox version I've had to unfortunately quit my game and go back into it twice now cos Ember keeps getting stuck on scenery which is a lil annoying, but apart from that it's still quite a cute little game that's perfect for a chilled out evening.

Corey

Apr 9, 2018
Upstate, NY
Okay, so I've completed all the campfires, rode my boat to the newly opened area and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. Has anyone beat this game? How do I get it to end?

Corey

Apr 9, 2018
Upstate, NY
Did you only finish the 1st area? If so explore and you'll eventually run into another campfire.
No, no - I've done all 3 (or 4? I dont remember, haha, but all of them!). And the last one told me my journey was almost complete and it opened to gate in the water which I road my boat through, which led me to one of those bird cages, which I got in, and it led me to those bird guards who I talked to and then that was kinda it. I don't know where to go now.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
No, no - I've done all 3 (or 4? I dont remember, haha, but all of them!). And the last one told me my journey was almost complete and it opened to gate in the water which I road my boat through, which led me to one of those bird cages, which I got in, and it led me to those bird guards who I talked to and then that was kinda it. I don't know where to go now.

There are some bricks you can move with your lanthorn behind the guard's to get to a section behind them

Status
Not open for further replies.