• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Directed by Joe Talbot and starring Jimmie Fails, Jonathan Majors, Rob Morgan, Tichina Arnold, and Danny Glover. Winner of the Sundance Best Director and Special Jury Awards. The Last Black Man in San Francisco — Summer 2019

I just adore the cinematography, hopefully the rest of the film matches that.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I feel like I know I'm going to go see something as soon as I see that A24 logo. This looks really good.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Just came out of the first showing in SF. It was fantastic. I loved every moment of it, and I fucking felt so many moments. This movie is easily my favorite of 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
Looked amazing, but the indie-film plot direction did not hit home with me. It's a treat seeing all these spots in the City so lovingly photographed.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone seen this yet? Watched it about 2 days ago and I gotta say it's possibly my favorite film of the year. A24 is going strong.

Can't wait to watch The Farewell next week.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
How are people sleeping on this film? I don't think I've adored a film as much as this one for a very long time. Although it seems to be a smaller release but still, if it's playing near you, watch it.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
Nearest theater playing this is about 100 miles away. Limited release sucks. But I really want to check this out, so I may end up making the drive.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Damn, that cinematography is something else. And ever since I was a kid, I absolutely have to watch anything with Danny Glover in it. One of my favorite actors.

I hope it plays in my area. A lot of smaller films pass this area by.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Got to see a screening of this a few weeks back and Last Black Man in San Francisco is hands down my #1 film of the year. A beautiful, poignant story that avoids a lot of the easy cliches that could come up. Anyone interested in how gentrification impacts people's lives or the experience of working class blacks in modern America should watch it.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was easily the best film I've seen this year. It's just beautiful, and brought me to tears on multiple occasions. The earnestness and love of the filmmakers can be felt in every frame of this movie. A touching story of the two best friends' relationship, and their love for a city that doesn't love them back. The plot is a bit on the thin side, but it's all done with such sincerity I didn't mind. Also blown away by the cinematography by Adam Newport-Berra and musical score by Emile Mosseri.

I mean just listen to this incredible rendition:

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this Tuesday night and I must say that I should have seen this sooner. It just clicked for me. It's lively but can be so depressing at the same time

Seeing the changes to the house at the end is a real punch to the gut

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this Tuesday night and I must say that I should have seen this sooner. It just clicked for me. It's lively but can be so depressing at the same time

Seeing the changes to the house at the end is a real punch to the gut

Yes that's the most heartbreaking part. All that work he invested to trying to restore it while maintaining its heart and in the end it's cleaned up but without soul. That house was so alive but in the end its restoration left it truly dead./SPOILER]

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
saw this earlier today. what a goddamn amazing movie. really beautifully shot and the message of displacement and identity really hit me hard. reminded me of what's happening here in toronto these days.

also, you don't get to hate it, unless you love it. fuuuuck so good.

watch this shit asap

Oct 26, 2017
It's an absolutely wonderful piece of art. One of the best examples of young black male friendship I've seen on film. It's tied with the Farewell as my movie of the year.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
It's an absolutely wonderful piece of art. One of the best examples of young black male friendship I've seen on film. It's tied with the Farewell as my movie of the year.

Same here. While I enjoyed the farewell as it's in it's own kind of genre. This movie somehow just edges it out as the best movie I've seen throughout this year.

The music, cinematography, and the friendship. Man was it just so goood. Been recommending this to all my friends.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good bump. I was considering buying it. I'll definitely be checking it out this weekend.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This movie fucking punched me in the gut.

I think the worst for me was the scene where Kofi's homeboy breaks down on Jimmie's shoulder after looking like he was about to square up on him. Relatable content, indeed.