• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 7, 2018
I thought I'd never see this again, having lost sight of it for a few years, and it's probably the rarest piece of gaming memorabilia I have so I thought I'd share it with you all here :)

I've looked and looked over the years but never seen a photograph online of another one of these, so I'm guessing there can't be many/any others still floating about. I've had it since the UK Starwing (Starfox was renamed in Europe!) launch, which I went to when I was 16. An invitation for the event had been sent to where my mum worked, so she asked if I'd want to go. I didn't have a SNES at the time, I was a Sega kid, but I'd been reading about the Super FX chip and Starfox/wing in the magazines, so jumped at the chance and ended up going with my best friend from school.

I'll get some better photos in other lighting conditions over the next few days and update this post, with those and some other memories of the launch event, but here it is!

0VQM1WT

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a little promotional cardboard stand advertising Starwing from a UK 'comet' electronics store around the time of release (I got my mum to ask an employee for it and he gave it up lol). I had it for years but don't know what happened to it :(

OP
OP
Pearljam and Earl
Jun 7, 2018
Here's the plain (slightly scuffed and scratched, but hey, 26 years old!) back, and a slightly closer-up/clearer photo of the front:

ss4GwBA

RvdS2fJ

:)

OP
OP
Pearljam and Earl
Jun 7, 2018
The Super FX chip (MARIO CHIP 1) is obscured by the central text, actually. :P

SNS-FO-0-pcb-front-9304.jpg

The lanyard is the NTSC board, actually. Here's the PAL (Starwing) board:

SPAL-FO-1-pcb-front-9322.jpg

I never noticed it was the NTSC rom... I did try making a mock-up a few years ago, from memory, to try and jog someone else's, but I failed and used the PAL board! I vaguely remembered the font style though, and almost, so very nearly, got the address right... xD

I left the FX chip showing in my half-remembered version, as I figured the whole point of a circuit board Starfox lanyard would be to show the bloomin' thing off!

5nwAwjB

Last edited:

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
I remember one store in the UK, I think Electronic Boutique, having a pre-launch competition thing for starfox where you could play the first few levels in-store, and the people who go the highest score got to go to a big event where you could win all this cool Starfox merch.

My Dad let me have a go, and because I was a dumb 7 year old who hadn't played the game before, I didn't make it past the first level but I did get a participation certificate with my terrible score written on it and ended up taking it to school to show off to my friends. One of my teachers saw it and then I somehow ended up standing a in front of the whole school during assembly explaining what happened and not correcting the Head Teacher when they congratulated me on my 'fantastic' score of a few hundred.

Probably my first experience of being a fraud.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Very cool, I'm a huge Nintendo fan. OP I'd put that in a nice frame or something, there can't be many of these around anymore