• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it really seems like the people defending first person are doing so rabidly. Calm down, people.

Perhaps from your perspective FPP games are rare, but from the perspective of people who prefer a TPP, FPP games are in abundance. It seems like every big game is a shooter or first-person RPG.

For some it's a health issue - they can't play these games because of motion sickness or headaches.

For others it's impossible to get a sense of immersion or connection.

Both are legitimate complaints. You can disagree with the desire for more third-person options but please stop being needlessly combative. Thanks.
How many big fps single player games are there compared to tps?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Man, it really seems like the people defending first person are doing so rabidly. Calm down, people.

Perhaps from your perspective FPP games are rare, but from the perspective of people who prefer a TPP, FPP games are in abundance. It seems like every big game is a shooter or first-person RPG.

For some it's a health issue - they can't play these games because of motion sickness or headaches.

Both are legitimate complaints. You can disagree with the desire for more third-person options but please stop being needlessly combative. Thanks.
How... how do you think this is true lol?

You're completely ignoring the sheer abundance of third person rpgs this generation. Hell, if anything FP rpgs are the outlier.
Even looking recently, a plague tale, greedfall, disco elysium, none of them are first person.

How the hell are first person rpgs in abundance lol?

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Accessibility aside this just reeks of entitlement. "Just a bit of extra work", fucking hell.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a little ranty.

Let's get this out of the way quickly, "artistic choice", blah blah blah. Third person cameras are as much of an accessibility option as a gameplay one. I'll explain.

So three big action adventure RPGs that are out/coming out soon, The Outer Worlds, Cyberpunk 2077, and Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines II are all first-person only games. I've got a problem with that.

For some people having third person, letting you see your character outside of menus, gives you a greater connection to that character, it makes cosmetic choices and character creators worthwhile. One stands to ask, if you can't see your character why even bother adding character creators?

For other people third person is an accessibility issue, first person viewpoints can cause serious motion sickness in people. Third person viewpoints generally alleviate that.

Even if combat is restricted to first person, third person should still be available for traversal.

The Outer Worlds is the second 3D RPG by Obsidian, the last one being New Vegas which had third person. This game is on Unreal 4, the tools are there to have third person.

Cyberpunk 2077 is the second big RPG this generation by CDPR, the last one being The Witcher 3 which was third person (even more confusingly Geralt was a set character while CP2077 has a character creator).

Vampire TMBL2 is a sequel to a game which had third person. This game is also on Unreal 4.

I refuse to accept "artistic vision" as an excuse for these games not having third person. Why on earth would they spent time and resources making character creators if you can't even see your damned character out in the world?
Not everything is for everyone and that's ok. Reject artists vision as an argument all you want. That doesn't make it not true and it's no one's job to satisfy you.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a strong preference either way personally. I do think first-person can help with immersion in RPG's, so I'm fine with that choice for something like Cyberpunk 2077. And it feels like we get way more third-person games in general than first-person.

That being said, it'd be good if the option was there for people who don't handle first-person well due to stuff like motion sickness.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I'm really interested to see Weird West, the new game from Raphael Colantonio (co-creator of Dishonored and Prey), an "isometric immersive sim"

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Not everything is for everyone and that's ok. Reject artists vision as an argument all you want. That doesn't make it not true and it's no one's job to satisfy you.
Seriously. If you don't like a game or a style, then cool, move on and play something else.
For those who have trouble with things like motion sickness, that sucks and hopefully the games that can afford to have the option to let you play third person or whatnot are able to do that, but demanding it is just petty.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How... how do you think this is true lol?

You're completely ignoring the sheer abundance of third person rpgs this generation. Hell, if anything FP rpgs are the outlier.
Even looking recently, a plague tale, greedfall, disco elysium, none of them are first person.

How the hell are first person rpgs in abundance lol?
As someone else mentioned. People who love 3rd person and can't stand first person seem to be so against, so any instance of it seems to be too much. You see it a lot in this thread.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
You have PLENTY of games in the line of *third person action aventure game[with RPGesquesystem cinematic gameplay blahblahblah]*

Let other people that enjoy more diverse gaming, being FPS, Isometric, 2D, etc, enjoy their games, not everything needs to be 3rd person.

I get not wanting every game to be the same, but how do you equate "more diverse" with a first-person perspective when that's been the dominant perspective by far since last gen?

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunk and Outer Worlds not having a third person toggle is a major bummer for me as I love customizing my character for these games and enjoy seeing them inhabit the world. It's especially disappointing after having been spoiled by Bethesda and Rockstar with this option. In the case of Cyberpunk, it's particularly frustrating as this design decision seems to undermine transhumanist themes of the game (how am I supposed to feel like I'm playing as an androgynous, non-binary character with cybernetic enhancements when I spend 99% of the game reduced to a gun floating on the screen?).

That said, I appreciate that developers have to work within a budget and that third person animation can be an expensive undertaking. I also enjoy plenty of first person games (Arkane's are fantastic) and suspect Cyberpunk will be perfectly enjoyable without a third person toggle. It's just a shame to know this game will never realize its full potential. It could've been a great cyberpunk/transhumanist roleplay experience, but I just don't see how that's possible when even the cut scenes aren't in third person. Shame.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I get not wanting every game to be the same, but how do you equate "more diverse" with a first-person perspective when that's been the dominant perspective by far since last gen?
What? First person has been the most dominant? Go look at Sony's like, entire 1st party output. Or the recent Assassin's Creed games etc etc

kerrang

Banned
Jan 13, 2019
Cyberpunk was my most anticipated game but no third-person option killed my hype around 80%.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Are we talking about the 360 gen now?

It matters if you're sick of the perspective. Third has slowly crawled out of the gutter since last gen, but "FPS everything" was a thing last gen, for many genres that didn't even benefit from it aside from jumping on the "shooters are in" bandwagon, and there are still a great many games that are first-person "because reasons" that seem like they are hamstrung for no good reason.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Personally love the resurgence of focused first person action adventures! Feels like we're back in the Riddick/Darkness Starbreeze era.

I do feel bad for folks who can't enjoy them due to nausea problems. What helps (at least for me) is try playing them with mouse & keyboard. FP on a controller never really clicked with me.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It matters if you're sick of the perspective. Third has slowly crawled out of the gutter since last gen, but "FPS everything" was a thing last gen, for many genres that didn't even benefit from it aside from jumping on the "shooters are in" bandwagon, and there are still a great many games that are first-person "because reasons" that seem like they are hamstrung for no good reason.
That was last gen. This gen like.... Almost every AAA game has been 3rd. Witcher 3, Nier Automata, DMC5, God of War, Horizon, Death Stranding, Sekiro, Bloodborne etc.

You are talking about a problem that no longer exists. "Sick of the perspective" come on dude.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Cyberpunk being first person was probably the best news I could have heard. Those types of games are always worse in third person.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Only dominant with fps's. Look at all the big sony games, ubisoft, etc. The only single player fps ones are like dishonored or prey or doom.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
But why are we even talking about around 10 years ago?
And wasn't the biggest rpg series last generation Mass Effect, a third person shooter rpg?

This generation third person games have dominated the market.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's a valid opinion like any other, but there's no "excuse". Third person isn't the industry standard, or whatever, they don't need an excuse to not have this option as much as third person games don't need excuses to not have first person modes.

This.

Also generally speaking third person shooters aren't as precise & responsive as first person shooters so it could be a gameplay design factor as well.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly they should focus on one. Otherwise they waist time a resources on something completely half assed.

Oct 29, 2017
So DICE shouldn't cater to the whiners and refuse to revert the TTK in BFV? Right?

Oh I know, I was just using the language of the post I quoted. I still think its worthwhile to include third person if a game has a character creator.

Did these developers patch in a third person option and remove them? Changing the core gameplay of a game that's been out for a year isnt exactly a comparable situation.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
But that's just it. Things that are easily counted are less subject to personal perspective. When we have two categories (1st and 3rd person perspective) that are easily quantified, and we can see that one of them (3rd person) is much more common, it makes absolutely no sense to call them rare. No matter how much a person happens to like them. See my reply to Sadnarav below. It may seem to you that every big game is an FPS or 1st person RPG, but the data clearly says otherwise.

Is there any data about having more games in third person than first person?
I went to MobyGames and looked at action- and roleplaying games released for the PS4 in 2019.
Checked the box to filter out the 1st person perspective games.

Action: 115 of 465 games are 1st person. Roughly 1 in 4.
RPG: 18 of 115 are 1st person. Roughly 1 in 6.

Last edited:

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So "accessibility" is just straight up code for "made in the style that I prefer" now huh?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'd rather the developer create what aligns with their vision or passion and within the scope of their resources.

If that ends up landing at "first-person", would just hope that that would involve as many accessibility options as possible such as FOV, headbob, motion blur, crosshair..the % of games where FoV has to be adjusted in an .ini file is still way too high imo.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather the developer create what aligns with their vision or passion and within the scope of their resources.

If that ends up landing at "first-person", would just hope that that would involve as many accessibility options as possible such as FOV, headbob, motion blur, crosshair..the % of games where FoV has to be adjusted in an .ini file is still way too high imo.
I agree with this 100%

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
No. Notice he didn't say he wants them to take away the one that's not his preference? He just said he wants an extra option.
OP is still hiding behind accessibility as one of the reasons why another option should be included.

There are plenty of accessibility options available for FPS games which should be included and I understand people lobbying for them. But using that as a reason for devs to massively increase their dev time just so people who enjoy third person perspective are specifically catered for is ridiculous.

The rest of the post is fine even if I don't agree with it, but the mention of accessibility just seems like a completely unneeded excuse to try and bolster their argument in a 'you can't argue with this point' way

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For my own part, I'm perfectly able to play FPS (except The Witness - that game wrecked me), I just don't like it. Takes me right out of the story, especially when I look down and find that I have no feet or legs (The Outer Worlds most recently) or when I imagine what my character must look like walking around with every equipped object held up in front of them.

Even outside of that though, first person is typically far less suited for stealth, melee combat, traversal and platforming, all of which has become increasingly common parts of modern RPGs. And that's to say nothing of organic inventory management. Days Gone is a great example of this: without having a cluttered HUD or hopping into my menu I can see exactly what I have equipped - it's all on my back, including little touches like silencers and so forth.

I mean that's your preference and that's fine. But nobody is going to cater to all my tastes either. Unless developers decide to offer the option to cut out all "RPG" elements and crafting from their games.

Most importantly, it has nothing to do with accessibility.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

Well said.

Even as someone who doesn't get any motion sickness, I'd love every FPS game to have FOV options. The default is often just too constricting.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Game Award GOTY Nominees last 3 years.

2019 - Control, Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2, Super Smash, The Outer World's
1 First Person

2018- God of War, AC: Odyssey, Spiderman, Monster Hunter World, Red Dead 2
0 First Person

2017- Breath of the Wild, Horizon, PUBG, Super Mario Odyssey
1 First Person (also third)

So big game of the year type games, there has been only 1 pure first person perspective games on it.

So the whole "way to many fp" is FACTUALLY false