• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
DoW (1 + 2) are great especially the campaigns in 2. Never really liked the MP changes away from base building in 2 though.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Space marine and DoW(1&2) are my jam, I played the hell out of all of them.

I would LOVE to see a new space marine like game, I thought about the deathwatch game but heard it was a bit content lite.

I'd recommend everyone check out space marine for sure!

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I was so very hyped for Vigil's 40K mmo that was in the works at the time THQ went bankrupt.

Oct 27, 2017
Good? Yes. Dawn of War, Space Marine and Fire Warrior I really the only main ones that come to mind. There's others that are OK but I wouldn't say they achieve levels of greatness.

There certainly isn't a lack of 40k licensed games. Doesn't seem like they've really had good quality control on the branding. It's kind of surprising really, it's a pretty popular and expensive world, seems right for some really good games.

I always thought RTS was the perfect home for it but I wouldn't mind seeing another character action game like Space Marine again.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Creative Assembly is the only group I trust to do the universe any justice at this point.

I'd love to see their take on a 40K game.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Im a fan of 40k. Never played it tabletop but ive seen it at conventions and it can be amazing.

Ill buy and play 40k games even if theyre just okay. Playing spacehulk deathwing, recently.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What was the name of that action rpg from last year? Am I crazy or am I thinking of something else. Not chaosbane, but something else.

edit: it was inquisitor. Did that game ever overcome its lukewarm reviews? any big changes?
I didn't play it before the patch but it's a decent hack & slash now.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Well they started it back during Darksiders 1 development and it was canceled way before THQ bankruptcy

I shared a few drinks with some senior guys from Vigil a couple years after the collapse of THQ, and from their stories, it sounded like budget was pretty much a concern from the get go for the game (this being the time when every AAA publisher wanted their WoW killer, and was willing to invest big money to compete). They were for example going up against SWTOR in the sci-fi MMO space.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Dawn of War the Dark Crusade is one of the greatest RTS of all time, it was downhill from there.

Space Marine was awesome, but it's a different genre.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I think someone like Focus is a good home for IPs like Warhammer. They can't afford the biggest budgets, but they know how to cater to niche fan bases, and are willing to support less mainstream genres (like turn-based stuff).

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, since things can involve very small skirmishes or even just personal vendettas. Despite the taglines like "there is only war" etc, WH40K lends itself well to stories both big and small.

nah, For example you can do a game about the horus heresy (which there are about at least 10 different videogames about), and all the xenos players will complain about not being in the game. It's really hard to fit everything in the universe into a game, so most developers just focus purely on space marines because they're pretty simple to do.

It's really hard to make a definitive warhammer 40k game. Much easier to make say a Necromunda game or something like that.

Last edited:

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
nah, For example you can do a game about the horus heresy (which there are about at least 10 different videogames about), and all the xenos players will complain about not being in the game. It's really hard to fit everything in the universe into a game, so most developers just focus purely on space marines because they're pretty simple to do.

It's really hard to make a definitive warhammer 40k game. Much easier to make say a Necromunda game or something like that.
Why on earth would it need to be a 'definitive' 40K game? Just 'a' 40K game can be plenty interesting. People bitch about this and that missing from all kinds of games with established settings, but that doesn't mean that one *has* to fit the whole smorgasbord into it.

Fuck it, you say Necromunda would make for a good setting and that is a part of 40K. A Nercomunda game would be a 40K game, a good example of a smaller scale one.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be a grand strategy game to do it justice.

I'm just not sure how Creative assembly can do it using the Total War formula. One of the best aspects of Total War is how pretty the maps are and the tactical things you can do with them. There's not much you can do when all your settle ententes are essentially solar systems and just function as nodes.

But I have no doubt that they are going to try it after Total War Warhammer trilogy is done. I think they know that Total War Fantasy is where the real money is going to be. They've done such a great job with Warhammer Fantasy.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I really want a Battlefield-esque game set in the universe with as many of the factions represented as possible. The all-out absurdity of the large scale conflict is the only thing that hasn't been represented yet in some way and I want some action games in the universe where I don't have to play as Space Marines.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed Dawn of War 1 and 2. Haven't played DoW3 but i heard it's bad.

What I really want is horror game in WH40K.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Go watch Astartes and then cry some more. We've been forsaken.

It's an issue of lack of recognition nowadays due to waning interest because Games Workshop was so terrified of losing figure sales. Then lack of big companies wanting to handle the property, after mediocre sales etc. It's just a crappy cycle.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Will the Necromunda game be any good? that's 40k, right?

how approachable will it be for folk that don't play strategy/tactics games on PC? The last tactics game I played was Valkyria Chronicles and Codename STEAM.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Oh how I yearn for Space Marine II.

40k has a large and diverse lore, I know the industry tends to focus on games that involve mainly the Imperium, but honestly, that likely helps it's more mass appeal than say an Eldar or Tau (oh Firewarrior) game.

While I'd fully support the idea of a 'mass budget AAA' 40k game, seems rather unlikely (for now at least). Such is the same with DnD and MTG, sure there are some larger games in those properties, much like 40k, but something on the scale of Mass Effect or Halo (scope and budget) is probably not in the cards. There are some great 40k games that can scratch that itch, the ones from Focus as shown above and of course, Relics amazing contributions.

That being said, with the new Eisenhorn TV series, Angels of Death animated series, etc, I think that will help expand the interest in the hobby and IP even further and the chances of games we want, would become more likely.

Also, show the Sororitas some love ;)

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Will the Necromunda game be any good? that's 40k, right?

how approachable will it be for folk that don't play strategy/tactics games on PC? The last tactics game I played was Valkyria Chronicles and Codename STEAM.

Before Necromunda the devs made Mordheim which is a similar game to Necromunda but in the fantasy setting. The game actually plays a lot like Valkyria Chronicles. You'll be fine.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
I am frankly disappointed by the many loyalists in this thread, where is the love for the far superior alien races?

Dark Crusade will always be, to me, the definitive RTS experience. Good campaign, bit short, with different playable races. Just pick one and roll through, it's always been extremely satisfying.

The second Dawn of War upped the ante with animations and movement, seeing my favourite unit, the Howling Banshees, leap over chest high walls is very lovely to see. Tanks busting through terrain is a nice addition and allows for a few surprise moves.

I don't care for the actual gameplay much in that one. It's campaign and such don't interest me.

In fact it always bothered me how the vanilla experiences always came packaged with Space Marine campaigns, arguably the least interesting race to me, and not much else.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Grimdark Pikmin clone where you play as an Ork warboss who crashed on a jungle deathworld filled with monster sized predators

Running around a map, literally throwing lesser orks into battle while you hammer the WAAAGH button