• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Only rts where I finished the campaign several time, that's for sure. Shame they went back to the mass combat focus on DoW3 :(
Yep I agree so much Marcel - for me Dow II is peak real time strategy. So freaking tactical and enjoyable.

It is next to doom, my most played game EVER (my play numbers on steam do not even include the time before Steam counted play hours. Let alone the hundred hours I put into the beta.
1vkk4h.png

2wzkm9.png

3fajc9.png

Not sure why they took the direction they took with DOW III - I think a lot of people who played DOW I for comp stomps really disliked 2.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Base building RTS >>>>>> MOBA RTS for me.

I enjoyed DOW II, but DOW is a million times better, better story, more engaging, and just more fun.

I never did like MOBAs much at all though.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I quite enjoyed Kill Team and Space Marine. An FPS would be fantastic, especially if undertaken by a big established developer that has a love of the series. Hell, give me more Space Marine and I'd be happy too.

I'm down for more indie games and unique creations, but 95% of the WH/WH40K games are all in genres I'm not into.

By the EYE Divine Cybermancy people. Wait for a sale, it gets really cheap these days.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Another good and not-too-old 40k game that hasn't been mentioned is Armageddon, essentially a reskinned Panzer Corps* with the addition of small titans/war machines.

*a Panzer General spiritual successor, and a truly fantastic game on its own.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, we're trying okay

(just started reading Night Lords trilogy, it's mint)
I didn't know there was someone from Focus Home Interactive here on era! I really can't wait for the new Warhammer 40k game. When can we expect news or trailer of the new game? :D

Hopefully, it's an FPS or 3rd person action game like Space Marine. I really enjoyed Space Hulk Deathwing more than Vermintide.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Best thing in DOW2 was when you could get an entire team in terminator armour.

Spent most of the game using cover and proceeding with caution, only suddenly being able to casually stomp right through walls and into a ball of tyranids without a care. Was such a good upgrade feeling

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
DoW2 is still the best to me, but I think the general quality of small-budget 40k games has been going up in recent years. BG:A2, Gladius and Mechanicus are pretty solid games.

I still think CA will try to find a way to do a TW:40K. They have to have made so much money from TWW, just think what 40K could do?

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Ohh, Mechanicus reminds me of the old (but awesome) game Incubation. Maybe have to try it.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
A dark heresy rpg works new fantastic. Preferably an Isometric crpg, and wouldn't need a massive budget.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
I just started my venture into the Warhammer series by listening to the Warhammer 40k – Helsreach audiobook. It was fantastic!

I know it's a bit off topic but does anyone have any recommendations for what to potentially listen to next? I really enjoyed what I heard with Helsreach and looking for more.

Almost anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, who wrote Helsreach, The Night Lords trilogy, and Spears of The Emperor, among others.
His books made Space Marines a lot more interesting to me.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Not having an RPG in this setting or a tactics game is what's criminal. There is so much they can do but relegating it to low budget action games makes me sad

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't think DoW3 was that bad and got unfairly piled on by the community because of bunk reasons. It was unfortunately caught in the crossfire of moba-hysteria among RTS fans because it had hero units (which existed before MOBAs in RTS anyway) and in the other direction for being an army based RTS by DoW2 fans which was more of a MOBA.. They really couldn't win.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I still don't think DoW3 was that bad and got unfairly piled on by the community because of bunk reasons. It was unfortunately caught in the crossfire of moba-hysteria among RTS fans because it had hero units (which existed before MOBAs in RTS anyway) and in the other direction for being an army based RTS by DoW2 fans which was more of a MOBA.. They really couldn't win.
My main issue was the campaign, that was the main reason I played DOW2 (and Last Stand of course). DoW2 was practically an action RPG in the campaign.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are a few factors going into the lack of bigger 40k games.

While very popular among the hardcore fans, I am not sure the license has enough mainstream appeal for proper AAA budgets. Maybe the eventual tv series will help?

2. GW seems to prefer working with smaller companies where they are the more powerful partner these days. I think that is a consequence of games like Warhammer Online, where they were much smaller than the lot licensee (EA).I think that was the last time they signed a new AAA level license (Sega came through Relic/ THQ), only working with indie companies or smaller publishers since.

You nailed it out of the park. 2. feeds back into 1. The AAA budget market isn't a fit for W40k. They tried and it wasn't big enough. So, instead, we have a plethora of budget titles.

Also, Inquisitor Martyr is pretty good since they revamped combat to be quicker.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my dream games would be CD Projekt doing a Action RPG of Ciaphas Cain HERO OF THE IMPERIUM.

BL-Feature-e1536430402342.jpg

Nessii013

May 31, 2019

As a fan of both DoW 1 and 2, I was immediately turned off by the progression and monetization in DoW 3 (and then when the game failed, turned off by the lack of a playerbase).

I actually enjoyed the focus on heros/super units (I preferred WC3 over SC or SC2), but the monetization killed it for me (same with Evolve).

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
As a fan of both DoW 1 and 2, I was immediately turned off by the progression and monetization in DoW 3 (and then when the game failed, turned off by the lack of a playerbase).

I actually enjoyed the focus on heros/super units (I preferred WC3 over SC or SC2), but the monetization killed it for me (same with Evolve).

What was wrong the monetization? It's been so long I don't even remember how that played out, I just remember people being mad about the hero units and the multiplayer modes.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I loved Dawn of War 2 back in the day, with its guerilla-like approach. I know people missed base building and all, but the smaller scale battles were my jam.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I am a huge fan and can wholeheartedly recommend the Eisenhorn and Ravenor novels from Dan Abnett. They are a bit of a spy/ detective/ noir take on the grim dark, and so a great job with the atmosphere and vibe.

I love the Eisenhorn/Ravenor novels, but they do take Wh40k a long way into hi-tech sci-fi territory (probably because Abnett realized the caveman-tek setting of hardline Wh40k could never actually work without collapsing immediately).

Feb 12, 2019
How's Gladius, the 4X game, these days? That's probably the closest I've gotten to picking up a 40K game after Games Workshop opened the floodgates for the license.

But yeah, Dawn of War II was very good.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I really hope StreumOn is making either an Inquisition or an Assassin Order RPG.

E.Y.E. remains one of the craziest games I've ever played, and they nailed that "feel like a bad-ass" feeling in it.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I like opening up the wiki once or twice and month and just reading the craziest shit. I couldn't imagine what a game would be like, lmao.

Oct 30, 2017
Could totally see the COD1 type game from perspective of an Imperial Guardsmen. Different viewpoints, small focus/epic scale type stuff like Normandy Beach or Russian Advance in those games were so awesome back then

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
What was the name of that action rpg from last year? Am I crazy or am I thinking of something else. Not chaosbane, but something else.

edit: it was inquisitor. Did that game ever overcome its lukewarm reviews? any big changes?

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
What was the name of that action rpg from last year? Am I crazy or am I thinking of something else. Not chaosbane, but something else.
Inquisitor?

I don't quite remember what WH games I've actually played; aside from the DOW games, the only other ones were the recent Space Hulk Tactics (which was way too fucking slow), and a little Battlefleet Gothic

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Inquisitor?

I don't quite remember what WH games I've actually played; aside from the DOW games, the only other ones were the recent Space Hulk Tactics (which was way too fucking slow), and a little Battlefleet Gothic

Yeah that was it. I remember a big patch dropped but I never looked into it. Gonna check that out. I'm a fan of action rpgs and always thought warhammer would be a great setting for one.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yep I agree so much Marcel - for me Dow II is peak real time strategy. So freaking tactical and enjoyable.

It is next to doom, my most played game EVER (my play numbers on steam do not even include the time before Steam counted play hours. Let alone the hundred hours I put into the beta.

Damn, that is a lot! I shame the emperor with my lowly 120ish hours played :( Assuming it somehow counts the original GfWL playtime as well?

One of my dream games would be CD Projekt doing a Action RPG of Ciaphas Cain HERO OF THE IMPERIUM.

Yes please <3 Listening to the Caves of Ice audio book at the moment, nd I just love Cain (and Jurgen, ofc).

I love the Eisenhorn/Ravenor novels, but they do take Wh40k a long way into hi-tech sci-fi territory (probably because Abnett realized the caveman-tek setting of hardline Wh40k could never actually work without collapsing immediately).

For some reason, I find myself drawn to stories that are less emblematic of their universe. In 40k, it is mostly the Inquisiton and Guard novels, without any Marines, and in the Star Wars EU I always preferred the stories without Jedi :p

mrprime

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The love and support for DoW2 in this thread fills my heart with glee. If anyone's interested in continuing the war, there's a competitive mod that extends the multiplayer with bug fixes, new units and a new faction (Ordo Malleus). It's a small but active community, including a competitive scene. If the MP was ever your thing.. check it out at https://www.dawnofwar.info/

But yeah.. I'd do dark, chaos worthy things for Relic to go back to either Dawn of War or Space Marine for a sequel. We can pretend DoW3 just never happened. relic plz.