• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the Deathwatch books at the moment and my god it's making me long for a really good Warhammer 40k game or two.

Creatice Assembly have done incredible things with TW: Warhammer. Relic did fab things with Dawn of War. Space Marine was amazing. There is so much scope in the universe for all kinds of games but we seem to get nothing apart from weird indie stuff like that diablo clone at the moment.

GIVE ME A NEW SPACE MARINE GAME YOU COWARDS.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I just started my venture into the Warhammer series by listening to the Warhammer 40k – Helsreach audiobook. It was fantastic!

I know it's a bit off topic but does anyone have any recommendations for what to potentially listen to next? I really enjoyed what I heard with Helsreach and looking for more.

Also, why isn't there a dope Warhammer 40K FPS? There really needs to be one.

OP
OP
CarthOhNoes

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
I want to customise my wargear, rise up the ranks from scout to captain and stand onside my battle brothers, spilling blood in the name of the emperor god dammit.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure someone with more knowledge about the Warscape engine's limitations can comment on its viability, but I would really like a TW: Warhammer 40K with a world map spanning entire planetary systems.

It's a crying shame that Relic served up Dawn of War III like that.

OP
OP
CarthOhNoes

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
I just started my venture into the Warhammer series by listening to the Warhammer 40k – Helsreach audiobook. It was fantastic!

I know it's a bit off topic but does anyone have any recommendations for what to potentially listen to next? I really enjoyed what I heard with Helsreach and looking for more.

The Space Wolf series is fantastic. Also the Ultramarine books about Uriel Vs
Ventris are great too.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I think there are a few factors going into the lack of bigger 40k games.

While very popular among the hardcore fans, I am not sure the license has enough mainstream appeal for proper AAA budgets. Maybe the eventual tv series will help?

2. GW seems to prefer working with smaller companies where they are the more powerful partner these days. I think that is a consequence of games like Warhammer Online, where they were much smaller than the lot licensee (EA).I think that was the last time they signed a new AAA level license (Sega came through Relic/ THQ), only working with indie companies or smaller publishers since.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

I am a huge fan and can wholeheartedly recommend the Eisenhorn and Ravenor novels from Dan Abnett. They are a bit of a spy/ detective/ noir take on the grim dark, and so a great job with the atmosphere and vibe.

I also like the Ciaphas Cain novels (an imperial inquisitor who becomes an accidental hero despite lashing trying to save his own ass), the Horusian Wars and Vaults of Terra (yet more inquisition).

Last edited:
OP
OP
CarthOhNoes

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and Gaunts Ghosts by Dan Abnett is also an excellent series.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Given to the right people they can definitely make a Grimmer, Darker version of Mass Effect set in the 40k universe. You would be a Rogue Trader who is allowed to talk to Xenos. The first part could be you uncovering a Necron Tomb World, the 2nd the awakening of all Necron Worlds, the 3rd you get the green ending because you are not stopping the Crons.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are a few factors going into the lack of bigger 40k games.

While very popular among the hardcore fans, I am not sure the license has enough mainstream appeal for proper AAA budgets. Maybe the eventual tv series will help?

2. GW seems to prefer working with smaller companies where they are the more powerful partner these days. I think that is a consequence of games like Warhammer Online, where they were much smaller than the lot licensee (EA).I think that was the last time they signed a new AAA level license (Sega came through Relic/ THQ), only working with indie companies or smaller publishers since.
They are working with Sega in Total Warhammer which is quite a big IP...

The main problem is that the warhammer IP isnt that big and as GW decided to open it up in the hopes of allowing it to grow naturally through more games. The issue is then that most AAA developers would want to have a more stable control of the IP, such as Star Wars.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think the problem is the genre for big games. RTS today are not very popular and that is where the franchise naturally fits.

Warhammer Fantasy is lucky that Total War exists because they fit perfectly. One important thing is that Warhammer fans want to play if possible with their faction in their Warhammer game. We all know that Space Marines are the most popular 40K faction, but limiting games to them limits the games themselves.

Anyway, I think the "Let them do many small games" approach is giving interesting results.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
They are working with Sega in Total Warhammer which is quite a big IP...

The main problem is that the warhammer IP isnt that big and as GW decided to open it up in the hopes of allowing it to grow naturally through more games. The issue is then that most AAA developers would want to have a more stable control of the IP, such as Star Wars.

You are right, though I think that deal was signed at a time when Warhammer Online was still running, and before Wrath of Heroes was cancelled in beta by EA.

Oct 26, 2017
Wait are you guys making a 40k game say like Greedfall or Divinity?!

They are working on 3 Warhammer games made by indie devs

Pd0m4E3.png

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Sisters of Battle would be an eye catching game. There aren't many space nuns with guns in the video game sphere.

Senjuro

Oct 10, 2019

To add to what others have said, if you want to dive deeper into the lore and read something bigger in scope than standalone stories then there's the whole Horus Heresy series. The Horus Heresy is the most important event this universe's history. The series has been ongoing from 2006 and has more than 50 books in it but it's finally starting to near its end and you can definitely choose to only read the best among them and read the Wikipedia summery for the rest and still follow it just fine.

I'd recommend you start with the first four, Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, The Flight of the Eisenstein, as they set the stage for everything and then start skipping around. I'd recommend The First Heretic next (same author as Helsreach).

Last edited:

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Gothic Armada 2 is a really good ship combat game with solid production values.

Mechanicus is also a really solid turn based tactics game where you customize and lead your squad of Techpriests looking for technology while fighting against the Necron. This is a really overlooked game.

What I'd love to see is a tactical combat game similar to the table top. Build and customize your armies and go into skirmishes and battles against the enemy. Something like X-Com, but with squads instead of individual soldiers.

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
I am not big into Warhammer lore but I feel like Chaosbane is not a 4k game? If it is then here you go that game is amazing

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
It is kind of amazing that we only have a handful of decent games, considering the quality and depth of the source material.

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
Give me anything good, please! Space Marine was great.

A little bit ago I started the Horus Heresy line and have fallen in deep. I'm on book 46 and have started feeling like I could teach a class on the heresy era. Please give me more great media attached to this ridiculous franchise.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yep, agreed. A world you can do so much with and too few games have. Everytime there's a 40k sale on Steam, 90% of it seems to be just average to bad and I've got all the good stuff.

Giving Firaxis the IP and letting them create this expansive XCOM-like title would be my dream project. And bring me on as an advisor so you don't fuck up Eldar lore too while we're at it, thanks mates.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, agreed. A world you can do so much with and too few games have. Everytime there's a 40k sale on Steam, 90% of it seems to be crap.

Giving Firaxis the IP and letting them create this expansive XCOM-like title would be my dream project. And bring me on as an advisor so you don't fuck up Eldar lore too, thanks mate.
Mechanicus (someone mentioned it here already) is a great XCOM-like

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I have been summoned by this thread title to spread the good word on Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus

its an X-comish tactics game in which you customise and lead a team of cybernetic monks as they raid Necron tombs for technology and conquest

You upgrade each of your units and can customise each with a pile of weapons, robotic claw arms, scanners and cyborg parts. Basically starting off a human and ending up as Doctor Octopus if he started carrying flamethrowers and railguns

It's also got pretty good writing for each of the missions, which is surprising for a game that's filled with half robotic heroes and fully robotic villains. Each of your advisors has a bit of personality and agendas as the campaign continues, adds a decent amount of flavour

Speaking of the missions, each is about 30 mind long, made up of a bit of 'choose your own adventure' story bits (which can impact your chances) and tactical combat arenas. The longer you take to get to combat, more necrons might have awakened and you risk getting overwhelmed

Really digging it at the moment, about halfway through the campaign I think

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus on Steam

Take control of the most technologically advanced army in the Imperium - The Adeptus Mechanicus. Your every decision will weigh heavily on the outcome of the mission, in this turn-based tactical game. Will you be blessed by the Omnissiah?
store.steampowered.com

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr on Steam

Enter the Chaos-infested Caligari Sector and purge the unclean with the most powerful agents of the Imperium of Man! W40k: Inquisitor – Martyr is a grim Action-RPG featuring multiple classes of the Inquisition who will carry out the Emperor’s will.
store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War on Steam

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Relics of War brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planet’s resources. In the first turn-based 4X strategy game set in Warhammer 40,000 you will lead one of four unique factions.

All sit at very positive. I played the first three and confirm they are great. There are many really good 40k games atm.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus on Steam

Take control of the most technologically advanced army in the Imperium - The Adeptus Mechanicus. Your every decision will weigh heavily on the outcome of the mission, in this turn-based tactical game. Will you be blessed by the Omnissiah?
store.steampowered.com

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr on Steam

Enter the Chaos-infested Caligari Sector and purge the unclean with the most powerful agents of the Imperium of Man! W40k: Inquisitor – Martyr is a grim Action-RPG featuring multiple classes of the Inquisition who will carry out the Emperor’s will.
store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War on Steam

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Relics of War brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planet’s resources. In the first turn-based 4X strategy game set in Warhammer 40,000 you will lead one of four unique factions.

All sit at very positive. I played the first three and confirm they are great. There are many really good 40k games atm.
Did they improve Gladius? It seemed like a pretty meh 4x with decent strategy and combat at launch.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
played Dawn of War 2 last year, its still peak W40K and peak RTS.

Play it, you can play Tyranids campaign

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I quite enjoyed Kill Team and Space Marine. An FPS would be fantastic, especially if undertaken by a big established developer that has a love of the series. Hell, give me more Space Marine and I'd be happy too.

I'm down for more indie games and unique creations, but 95% of the WH/WH40K games are all in genres I'm not into.