• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is weird. Been a while since I played World but didn't it get more black hair? Surely they learned it is an issue?

What a weird yet frustrating decision.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
[/QUOTE]
MHR is a different team. That may be why.

To me, that doesn't make any sense. It's the same company, and even if a different team worked on it, they would at least look at the previous game and bring over those options. This isn't the first time that Capcom was put on blast for the lack of black hairstyles. This is what happened with MHW and they finally put them in with Iceborne. So why do it again, unless they plan on having people pay for them again.

A friend and I had a convo about this and sadly, the result was that my ethnicity isn't Capcom's demographic for the game. Now, I hate to admit that and would hate if that was the case. I just want to think that this was a case of being lazy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is weird. Been a while since I played World but didn't it get more black hair? Surely they learned it is an issue?

What a weird yet frustrating decision.
The problem is that this was a different team (the Portable Team). The solution should have been to reference the progress made with Iceborne & bring those options over to Rise.

To me, that doesn't make any sense. It's the same company, and even if a different team worked on it, they would at least look at the previous game and bring over those options. This isn't the first time that Capcom was put on blast for the lack of black hairstyles. This is what happened with MHW and they finally put them in with Iceborne. So why do it again, unless they plan on having people pay for them again.

A friend and I had a convo about this and sadly, the result was that my ethnicity isn't Capcom's demographic for the game. Now, I hate to admit that and would hate if that was the case. I just want to think that this was a case of being lazy.
Actually, the new hair options were free for everyone (I checked, they weren't locked behind the Iceborne paywall). But your other complaints are valid. They should have learned from what the main team did for Iceborne.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that this was a different team (the Portable Team). The solution should have been to reference the progress made with Iceborne & bring those options over to Rise.
I know but I had an impression they were sharing assets so I assumed they would add them into it.

I hate how we can't assume they will add representation.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the main reasons I hate CaC games in general. I always end up spending a dumb amount of time and almost never get to make my character the way I want or even satisfying. Might as well just give me a character designed by them.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While true, they should have taken pointers from the main MH team & learned from them.

I don't disagree with either of you.
It just might possibly be why the disparity between the two games. Different team, different engine as well.

That doesn't make it OKAY. just elucidating the diff

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
MHR is a different team. That may be why.
Very disappointing to hear.

They are indeed, but they are many assets in the game, including in the character creator specifically, which are lifted directly out of World+Iceborne. To me this looks like a case of different priorities. Not that it's an excuse, as they should absolutely be there, but I can't think of any other reason why they would be missing considering other stuff from World made the cut.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They are indeed, but they are many assets in the game, including in the character creator specifically, which are lifted directly out of World+Iceborne. To me this looks like a case of different priorities. Not that it's an excuse, as they should absolutely be there, but I can't think of any other reason why they would be missing considering other stuff from World made the cut.

i also KIND of wonder if it is due to the switch japanese market taking a larger priority :x
World was notable for being a massive global success compared to past MH games, and MHR has been billed by die-hards since the beginning as a "return to form" (whatever the fuck that means)

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this dimmed some of my excitement of this game. I love creating characters and it's always frustrating when the option for black hairstyles and skintones are limited.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess it's a good thing babysitting my dog held me off from getting MH Rise. Now I'll likely wait until this gets addressed.

Oct 26, 2017
My assumption/hope is that all this will be addressed in the upcoming updates. All we need to do is speak up and I'm sure Capcom will rectify the omissions. We know there's quite a chunk of free stuff coming up over the upcoming months. Hopefully porting over the rest of the character creation tools/hair styles/etc. from World and Icebourne will be among the additions.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My assumption/hope is that all this will be addressed in the upcoming updates. All we need to do is speak up and I'm sure Capcom will rectify the omissions. We know there's quite a chunk of free stuff coming up over the upcoming months. Hopefully porting over the rest of the character creation tools/hair styles/etc. from World and Icebourne will be among the additions.
While I hope that happens, we shouldn't have to wait until updates for this to be fixed. We should have more afro-centric hair options from the get-go, especially when most of the work was already done in Iceborne & the Portable team could just ask the main team for the assets.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These characters don't look like Huey, and they certainly don't look like Huey's updated look in the upcoming seasons.

Wow, it's almost as if I said " If anything I want more variety of Afros. Like to control the lift or what overall shape it's in." I'm not saying that what is present is the only afro that should be in or that it's perfect.

The best part about afros is that they are variable can be done differently to suit the personality of the person. That's why I want MORE and not the deletion of the only afro.

I also used Huey as a quick example of a stylized afro that isnt possible in the game currently to drive that point home.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Dreadful, especially for a company with an internal policy about paying attention to exactly this sort of thing, and especially when a prior game did better.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Like there is so much copy and pasted shit in Rise that comes from World (not that thats a bad thing) including the character creator. How did they end up with less here? They made a conscious decision to omit that shit. They got the wrong priorities. Don't see why they can't alter shit in development to fall in line with Capcom's push for diversity. We can't have that until they make a new game??? Thats dumb as fuck.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something I'm confused about, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't the setting in MHR set in feudal/ancient Japan? Doesn't that mean, in a historical setting, it's depicted to be in a Japanese environment, with Japanese people, clothing styles, lifestyles, and so forth?
I know you're banned but wtf. Bringing up historical setting bs when there's literal DRAGONS and other monsters in a game.

Poemkin

Oct 27, 2017
Started on character creation last night, couldn't believe the only option was for massive afro, which is the 'joke' option, let's face it.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
What's wild is that they don't even offer any 2-3C hair...it's like either 0 hair texture or 1 really generic afro lol

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
Lmao I literally just got done making my character and when I was looking at the hairstyles i thought the exact same

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the trinity of afro, cornrows, and bald. What a step back.

Don't forget the Jon B caesar or buzz in a pinch.

It's funny because a caesar with some waves would be the easiest of all common (modern) black hairstyles to put in a game, you could just have the bald head with a different texture. Just requires actually looking at a real black person for once and not just going off some imaginary idea of what black hair is like based on 50 year old stereotypes.

Hell, you could take that one haircut and put in a bunch of variations with lines and fades.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I recently played Iceborne and I was surprised to see that a lot of the new hairstyle variants seemed to be black hairstyles. It's cool that they added them eventually but it was weird to see them locked behind an expansion like that. It's a shame they didn't carry over into Rise. It seems like rise has fewer customization options in general. Hopefully they add them back in but it's gonna suck to have them all be paid DLC again (World had more than Rise by default I think but still... Iceborne added a lot).

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
2K has a long way to go with textures and hair quality, but at the very least, they have a basic baseline for black hairstyles and at this point, video games should have at least the basics:

(BTW I absolutely hate how the long dreads look in this game but it's the closest thing to my actual length of dreads.)

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Capcom heard our complaints.

Hopefully we'll at least see the afro-centric hair options from Iceborne carried over in a near-future update.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is the situation for so so many games unfortunately, even darker skin at times. Hopefully it gets better because I tend to want to make myself as a character if possible.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom heard our complaints.

Hopefully we'll at least see the afro-centric hair options from Iceborne carried over in a near-future update.

"Thank you to our fans for their passionate feedback! We hear you loud and clear. So here's another two types of afros!"

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Said this in a video and article yesterday. I am completely disappointed with the lack of black hairstyles in this game. This was the same with MHW, but with Iceborne, Capcom finally gave us some. This is a giant step backward. Why add them in Iceborne and then not bring them over to Rise?

My article - Where Are The Black Hairstyles In Monster Hunter Rise? (theouterhaven.net)

In this video, I went through my attempt to create myself in the game. I was pissed with the lack of black hairstyles.

There's plenty of skin tones, I actually think this is decent for what it does. Just don't do basic, and make sure you use the advanced tools.

Considering how many hair style are already from World, I'm really confused why they didn't just port them all over. They better not sell them back again at a premium. I know my hunter buddy is quite disappointed and thus opted to just use the afro despite there being other hairs he liked in Iceborne.