• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Arslan must be the first case when someone comes from an "unknown" country and totally changes the established meta

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Predictable. Game Awards are heavily decided by people who don't play fighting games (or sports games or racing games) and are certainly not up with the esports side of things. I think this is indicative of what happens when you have people who are general big-picture watchers trying to exert influence over every piece and parcel of the whole industry. It doesn't go well. I was recently turned onto The Hollywood Reporter's Brutally Honest Oscars Ballots where anonymous members of the academy explained what they voted for and why. And boy. It is stupid. Here's an entry from 2017 for Best Animated Feature:
I'm not big on animation or animators. I know a girl who only has sex with animators — she works over at Disney. In any event, my least favorite was Moana — just typical Disney fare. I really, really liked Kubo and the Two Strings, My Life As a Zucchini and Zootopia. But I loved The Red Turtle — it was so simple and it spoke about life and it looked like a watercolor painting to me. Plus I have a fetish for turtles — I've just written a project about a turtle.

My vote
The Red Turtle
Same person:
I really loved A Man Called Ove, and I can't say anything bad about Star Trek Beyond. But as a heterosexual male, it's hard not to vote for Harley Quinn [the character played by Margot Robbie in Suicide Squad] — plus, the makeup was really, really good.

He's just voting for his fetishes! WTF. Anyway, this isn't quite the same thing (thankfully), but it's still not surprising and just as sad. I hope he gets more attention at FGC-specific events.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Arslan must be the first case when someone comes from an "unknown" country and totally changes the established meta
he's not the first to do it, but he might be the first to win two EVOs in two different countries

gamerbee made a huge wave when he upset justin wong in SF4, as an example, and then there was the other tekken example earlier in the thread

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
he's not the first to do it, but he might be the first to win two EVOs in two different countries

gamerbee made a huge wave when he upset justin wong in SF4, as an example, and then there was the other tekken example earlier in the thread

Yeah, I didnt know about the korean tekken guy, fair point.

In the other hand, did gamerbee really change the meta with his victory? even after that win, SF was (and is still) dominated by Japan, maybe the closest was MenaRD winning Capcom Cup

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In the other hand, did gamerbee really change the meta with his victory? even after that win, SF was (and is still) dominated by Japan, maybe the closest was MenaRD winning Capcom Cup
the difference between Gamerbee and Arslan was that Gamerbee didn't opened the floodgates for the Taiwan/Chinese scene to dominate, which what happened with Arslan Ash

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucking TRAVESTY.

Arslan belongs in the voting, PERIOD. SMH at him not being included.

I hope he wins again next year and really put everyone on notice.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

GB absolutely changed the character meta at least, same with infiltration, since people thought Adon was wack at the time. then all of a sudden here comes this relatively unknown player using a low-tier against EG Rufus and he eliminates wong

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
the difference between Gamerbee and Arslan was that Gamerbee didn't opened the floodgates for the Taiwan/Chinese scene to dominate, which what happened with Arslan Ash
That's why I like to compare Arslan Ash to Seok Dong-min. I think that Dong-min winning the TTT world tourney was the beginning of Korean dominance of competitive Tekken until recently.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
You can't say its because its "FGC" hes not nominated. When both Tokido and SonicFox got nominated last year. Soooo yea whats the next excuse ?

This dude goes to Evo Japan after an extremely hard to get visa and then went on a crazy ass hundred hour flight or something. Literally went straight to the Venue without any sleep , and against all odds actually fkin won the tournament.
Then proceeded to do the same for Evo. From a region that people didn't even know played Tekken , let alone be one of the strongest scenes in the world.

Now other Pakistani players are able to travel and win many tourneys.

Idk if Arslan winning and getting the spotlight made it easier for other players to get their Visa. But if it did. Has any other person in eSport ever had such an impact on an entire country ?

Last edited:

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't say its because its "FGC" hes not nominated. When both Tokido and SonicFox got nominated last year. Soooo yea whats the next excuse ?

This dude went to Evo Japan after a really hard to get visa against all odds and on a crazy ass hundred hour flight or something. Literally went straight to the Venue and won.
Then proceeded to do the same for Evo. From a region that people didn't even know played Tekken , let alone be one of the strongest scenes in the world.

Now other Pakistani players are able to travel and win many tourneys.

Idk if Arslan winning and getting the spotlight made it easier for other players to get their Visa. But if it did. Has any other person in eSport ever had such an impact on an entire country ?
Not to be controversial, but there's another Pakistani player:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Oh thanks for sharing this, I had no idea since I dont really follow the fighting scene at all but that's amazing by Arslan Ash.

And the TGA nominations just went from pretty bad up to the next level bad.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I just assume it's a case of them not being able to afford to fly someone over from Pakistan or get visas or something.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
honestly it probably has to do with him being in Tekken 7 which is already a smaller fighting games compared to SFV or Smash which as a whole fighting games are a small portion of esports which is dominated by mobas and shooters.

regardless should still be a nominee tbh

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The Koreans and Japanese have been a dominant force in Tekken for over a decade at this point. Any major tournament will almost always have a completely Japanese/Korean top 8 and it's in Tekken 7 that USA + Europe have stepped up.

But then this one Pakistani guy enters EVO Japan and WINS out of nowhere. And suddenly casts a spotlight into the region he comes from because you can't get that good without having equally good training partners. He eventually gets sponsored but it puts an eye on the Pakistani scene and people find out that there's people that even Arslan says are probably better than him. Then Arslan goes to EVO and WINS. Literally the most stacked tournament in the history of Tekken 7 and he wins it through the Winner's Bracket.

Needless to say, this only brought more attention towards him and his scene and lead to other players getting sponsored and more companies and sponsors wanting to bring up the Pakistani scene. It even lead to the first ever OFFICIAL Tekken World Tour tournament to be held in Pakistan a month ago.

Point is that he almost single handedly upset the established "pecking order" of skill in the competitive Tekken scene while also helping players of his region get the same level of access to travel and exposure that he got.
Dude is an absolute boss, God damn. Bravo. His story is like that of an anime or an inspirational movie.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I think its because of the fine people like OP and yourself who don't do glaring ommissions due to race, religion, geography... and want to give recognition to someone deserving is all that matters. Because of the FGC and Arslan, almost every serious player I know is now sponsored. You guys haven't seen the KOF crews yet, they are even scarier than the Tekken folks.
Oooh I wanna see this, does the crew mainly play XIV or do they also play some of the older titles like XIII, 98', 2002?

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
cant believe the show that rewards dr disrespect and richard lewis possibly might not be legitimate

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Did they omit better fighting games that released this year? Honest question since I don't know that much about the FGC.
In addition to Power Rangers, Fantasy Strike came out of early access this year and Million Arthur was localised, though I'm not sure if these two would be eligible since they aren't technically new releases. Even if there weren't though, they should've just had one less game on there, unless they mandate a specific number of them for some reason?

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Them giving SonicFox the award last year is pretty much the only bone they'll throw towards fighting games as esports. I love your show Geoff but the panel needs to do better on some of the esports categories

I was gonna post something along these lines lol. Fighting games and their competitors in general typically get snubbed so it's not really a surprise that this guy wasn't nominated even though I think he should have been. SonicFox is a very well rounded competitor in several different fighters and has an extravagant personality. I think that's what got SF the win last time.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
yeh shit is a joke. Arslan Ash is one of the best feelgood stories of the year. and I don't even give a shit about fighting games. Octopath Traveler wasn't even nominated last year for best OST or whatever. trash awards show stays trash, year over year

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to Power Rangers, Fantasy Strike came out of early access this year and Million Arthur was localised, though I'm not sure if these two would be eligible since they aren't technically new releases. Even if there weren't though, they should've just had one less game on there, unless they mandate a specific number of them for some reason?
SFV AE, KI S2 and KI S3 were nominated in the past. Hell, Rising Thunder in its beta stage was nominated.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like you understand that these awards are literally just popularity contents with zero actual integrity right? It's a wonder that SonicFox even won last year. You think they'll acknowledge Arslan Ash over their sponsored partners and asshole Twitch streamers getting the nominations? Lol. Don't worry about it though, no one cares about these awards honestly at least from my view. No one in my game group cared about these awards and they're into various esports, Evo, TI, Worlds, OWL, etc.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Even as a big smash fan and smash having its own super dominating top player (MKLeo), I wouldve still voted for Arslan Ash. Dude is legendary.

Oct 28, 2017

You sort of can. Tokido is an old, old hat when it comes to fighting games. He's really only one step below Daigo in terms of notoriety. SonicFox is equally extremely well-known even outside the FGC as a multi-game champion.

To even understand the significance of Arslan's feat, you really have to be heavily embedded not just in the FGC but in Tekken as well.

I don't follow FGC stuff much, but watched both of his wins and read all about him.

Really shit he hasn't been given a nomination.

What kind of feats did those nominated achieve?

I'm not really that familiar with LoL but it seems a little silly that two LoL players are nominated. Come to think of it, N0tail of DotA fame probably deserves a shout-out at this point as the most decorated DotA player with multiple international wins and (if I'm not mistaken) the most winnings of any esports player ever.

Last edited:

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Amazing story. But I can't really think of a game awards ceremony that isn't just an opportunity for promotion, not genuine recognition of achievement in the industry.