• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know enough about the other scenes and their nominations to really know their contribution in comparison, but Arslan not being nominated does seem like a glaring omission.

I went to EVO for the first time this year, and watching him dominate in the Grand Finals was one of the highlights of the entire event.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
The games awards are a complete joke. The Arslan Ash arc is some of the biggest upsets that ever happened in esports. He's the winner of fucking evo japan and tekken world championship. Not even nominated lmao. What a complete farce.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Folks from Pakistan coming out of nowhere and dominating the Tekken scene like it's a new anime arc has been my favorite story this year.

Arslan Ash was just the harbinger for the Pakistan Tekken community and it rules
The anime jokes have been great lmao. Though far from accurate I saw one where Raditz was Arslan and was just set up for the arrival of Atif Butt and Awais Honey lol

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, these are the same folks who decided to nominate Jump Force in the best fighting game category.

Their knowledge on FGC events is probably limited at best

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, these are the same folks who decided to nominate Jump Force in the best fighting game category.

Their knowledge on FGC events is probably limited at best

No they didn't stop lying

*looks it up*

Oh...they did.

tumblr_m2j323N5XM1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. That dude is inspiring and did something no one else has done. I dunno how he wasn't nominated.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
This man beat Knee.

Knee.

This is exactly the type of thing that just reinforces why the FGC doesn't take the "esports" crowd seriously.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the esport industry and gaming press as a whole cares very little about fighting games to be honest.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was shocked as well.
But these awards can never really be fair if the judges don't take in outside information to inform their decisions.

Nominating Jump force for best fighting game, but not Arslan as a personality?!
Should be more game candidates for certain categories as well (FE, DMC 5).

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Arslan is a good personal friend and he is as humble as they come. I was at the airport to receive him and take him home. It was surreal holding something I always wanted to do myself. But it made me so proud that Pakistan finally got the recognition it deserved. Here's him awarding the trophy to me for fun XD hahaha.

U3xutG.jpg

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
I don't even follow esports or fighting games and I saw those YouTube vids about his rise and was legit impressed. That guy is a phenom and his story is amazing.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. I'm not gonna claim to be the deepest into the FGC or esports (so some of the other nominees could be worthy for all I am aware) but even I got caught up with Arslan Ash's whole journey. It's one hell of an achievement and for it to be ignored seems messed up.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
An omission like this does kind of make the whole thing feel like a joke. How thorough can your process be to miss one of the biggest eSports stories of the decade?

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arslan is a good personal friend and he is as humble as they come. I was at the airport to receive him and take him home. It was surreal holding something I always wanted to do myself. But it made me so proud that Pakistan finally got the recognition it deserved. Here's him awarding the trophy to me for fun XD hahaha.

U3xutG.jpg
Aw, haha. Thanks for the picture.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I expected him or Leo to be at least nominated, but only FPS and MOBA players were listed. As I don't follow any competitive scene besides some fighting games events like the EVO, I'm not sure if the nominated players are really hype or had performed amazing feats, but I agree that even if I didn't play seriously any Tekken since 3, watching the EVO final with Arslan with the coworkers was AMAZING.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
This dude's rise is like the only thing I know about in eatsports. Crazy he wasn't even nominated. I know nobody cares about the FGC, but didn't Sonixfox win last year?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

U3xutG.jpg
Lol this is pretty cool to see. Are you a regular player there too? Like regular enough that I might have seen some of your matches on the growing YouTube channels with uploads from Pakistani matches?

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Aw, haha. Thanks for the picture.

I think its because of the fine people like OP and yourself who don't do glaring ommissions due to race, religion, geography... and want to give recognition to someone deserving is all that matters. Because of the FGC and Arslan, almost every serious player I know is now sponsored. You guys haven't seen the KOF crews yet, they are even scarier than the Tekken folks.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This dude's rise is like the only thing I know about in eatsports. Crazy he wasn't even nominated. I know nobody cares about the FGC, but didn't Sonixfox win last year?
Yea he did. Can't have those compelling FGC folk win every year!

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a real shame. I don't follow the FGC or any esports but I still know about Arslan Ash.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I was looking at the nominees for the 3 esports awards (player, team, commentator)... I don't know a single one. I guess fighting games aren't popular enough.
Arslan Ash should have been there

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the criminal act of leaving ash out, we don't get any other FGC reps? I dont follow lol,csgo,or dota so idk any of those players or commentators. I guess after Sonicfoxs win we shouldn't expect anymore.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Never heard of him, but I don't follow esport at all... But damn, what a story.

If all that is true, it's a shame he's not nominated.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its the game awards, theres nothing prestigious about it really and it doesnt do a good job of pretending to be

they dont have anybody in the weeds actually doing the work to give recognition to somebody like arslan ash or fighting games in general. its honestly really sad how gaming journalism doesnt properly keep up with fighting games. i feel like the genre is the last bastion of grassroots community propping up a competitive scene. its impressive stuff

Oct 26, 2017
Jump Force being nominated for Best Fighting Game and no Arslan Ash nomination prove to me that my commitment to the belief these awards shows are full of shit is justified.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed 100% The Game Awards still has a ways to go to be truly representative of gaming and those that deserve recognition worldwide.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unrelated but why does the FGC have so much trouble accepting e-sports whilist the Counter-Strike community embraces them just fine, even though both of them have the same root fromoffline locals (arcades/LAN)?

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Lol this is pretty cool to see. Are you a regular player there too? Like regular enough that I might have seen some of your matches on the growing YouTube channels with uploads from Pakistani matches?

I use to play with Arslan's crew and even sponsored them for a while through my company named Gaminar 2012-2013 (all the main names, Arslan/Awais/Heera and more... all the pics are still on FB), you may have heard of me playing as Fahdi. But I am the average competition there and mince meat for these players now, I was decent back in the day and would win sets here and there against these behemoths. I played best of 5 against Arslan recently and came out with 0-5 in Arslan's favor with at least 2 perfects on my ass and only 1 round won XD. But its a privelage to play against the world champ.

Besides that eSports is not taken seriously on this country because everyone is so busy surviving. The Tekken scene itself is an anomaly that some of these guys dedicated so much time against all odds. Its frowned upon in our culture and joked about being kiddy. I bet that eSports money isn't a joke anymore hence RedBull sponsored him full time.

k4mon

Oct 28, 2017
Wrocław / Poland
I didn't think about him when I saw the nominees but now that you brought it up I agree that he should not only be nominated but lookin at the other actual nominees he should win it.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
This would be akin to a hockey fan being upset that the best hockey player got snubbed from the ESPYs. The Game Awards are just as lame, if not more lame than the ESPYs. Let them be. Celebrate these awesome accomplishments in other ways (like this thread).

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big story from these awards is that a right-wing games journalist stirred up a bunch of lunatics on stage.

So... unsurprising, but disappointing nonetheless.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use to play with Arslan's crew and even sponsored them for a while through my company named Gaminar 2012-2013 (all the main names, Arslan/Awais/Heera and more... all the pics are still on FB), you may have heard of me playing as Fahdi. But I am the average competition there and mince meat for these players now, I was decent back in the day and would win sets here and there against these behemoths. I played best of 5 against Arslan recently and came out with 0-5 in Arslan's favor with at least 2 perfects on my ass and only 1 round won XD. But its a privelage to play against the world champ.

Besides that eSports is not taken seriously on this country because everyone is so busy surviving. The Tekken scene itself is an anomaly that some of these guys dedicated so much time against all odds. Its frowned upon in our culture and joked about being kiddy. I bet that eSports money isn't a joke anymore hence RedBull sponsored him full time.
I apologize if this sounds rude but do you know where Atif Butt got his hame from?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

That's actually really cool dude. It's amazing how the scene has been there for a long time, people like Spaghetti Rip have been talking about it, but it just never had the chance to blow up internationally till now

And yeah The perception towards eSports is really bad in many places. It's nice to see people like Arslan help turn it around in Pakistan(been seeing mainstream Pakistani news outlets pick up on his story).