• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Was it? It's a damn solid downport if that's the case. Feels like Switch was the base platform and the other consoles were up-ports. Maybe not though.

I mean all games are developed on PCs, so whatever they did first it had to be downgraded to Switch specs at some point. It being a downport versus the other versions being up-ports is more semantics than anything else.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean all games are developed on PCs, so whatever they did first it had to be downgraded to Switch specs at some point. It being a downport versus the other versions being up-ports is more semantics than anything else.
oh, I gotcha

Well in that case, every console game is a downport. Which I suppose is accurate.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Calling multiplattform games that are also on Switch "downports" - lol.
I guess every PS/Xbox title is also a "downport" from the PC version ? Come on.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
oh, I gotcha

Well in that case, every console game is a downport. Which I suppose is accurate.

That's not exactly what I mean, but whatever. It's all a matter of semantics.

Either way, they released a current gen game which had to be downgraded (compared to the other consoles) for Switch, which I think is what Oregano was arguing they hadn't done.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the distinction there? Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a big boy console game. Mega Man 11 is a big boy console game. They decided to downport both.

Their strategy with Switch is late ports out the wazoo. I don't see why that would be any different with MHW if they were contractually permitted to do it.

The distinction is that Shinsekai is designed for a platform in the same power category as Switch.

Revelation 2 is a PS3/360(/Vita!) game.

You're being obtuse if you can't see the difference between those and Monster Hunter World.

Mega Man 11 is the only game Capcom has put on Switch that wasn't first released on a platform in the same ballpark or lower.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
What's the distinction there? Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a big boy console game. Mega Man 11 is a big boy console game. They decided to downport both.

Their strategy with Switch is late ports out the wazoo. I don't see why that would be any different with MHW if they were contractually permitted to do it.

I dunno man

Look at all the work and strife they went through yo finally bring the PC version up to snuff and on parity

If they are following some heirarchy of priorities and have hurdles to clear then I imagine a switch port would take a similar level of effort if not more unless they farmed it out

I think its technically possible myself but that doesn't mean they will do it or that they wont just opt to go some other direction

While people lament the support Switch have been given by Capcom they havent abandoned it but they aren't exactly electrifying fans who want original titles

I dont blame them for chasing the high end tentpole stuff considering how well its been going for them so far

We will just have to wait and see if they decide to invest more into other tiers of development

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
When will certain fanbases stop this meaningless bickering over MonHun and Persona ?

There is demand for it and Switch proved itself as a viable platform years ago, so it should happen.

Stop the gatekeeping bs.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The distinction is that Shinsekai is designed for a platform in the same power category as Switch.

Revelation 2 is a PS3/360(/Vita!) game.

You're being obtuse if you can't see the difference between those and Monster Hunter World.

Mega Man 11 is the only game Capcom has put on Switch that wasn't first released on a platform in the same ballpark or lower.

I'm not understanding your argument then. Are you saying they don't want to downport games to run on Switch? Even when porting studios offered to do exactly that?

All I'm trying to say is that I think they would want it on Switch simply because the sales potential is so large, but they are prevented from doing so due to the likely contract which makes the game PS4 console exclusive in Asia. I haven't seen any indication that they are somehow against downporting/downgrading any games to run on Switch, more like they either have had trouble or have not bothered trying to port the RE Engine which the majority of their new, graphically demanding games run on.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not understanding your argument then. Are you saying they don't want to downport games to run on Switch? Even when porting studios offered to do exactly that?

All I'm trying to say is that I think they would want it on Switch simply because the sales potential is so large, but they are prevented from doing so due to the likely contract which makes the game PS4 console exclusive in Asia. I haven't seen any indication that they are somehow against downporting/downgrading any games to run on Switch, more like they either have had trouble or have not bothered trying to port the RE Engine which the majority of their new, graphically demanding games run on.

Pretty much, Capcom has either shown no capacity or interest in bringing their even remotely high end games to Switch. Mega Man 11 is quite obviously low end compared to the rest of their output.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, Capcom has either shown no capacity or interest in bringing their even remotely high end games to Switch. Mega Man 11 is quite obviously low end compared to the rest of their output.

Well then I guess we disagree. A MHW port would basically be at least 5M guaranteed sales. If they have to downport it or farm it out to a porting studio I see no world in which that doesn't make sense.

It's far more likely that they simply can't do it for other reasons.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I was one of those who used to say MHW was not possible on Switch due to technical limitations, but after seeing Witcher 3 run just fine on it, I just don't see why not from Capcom. Think it will do fantastic in terms of sales

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Was it? It's a damn solid downport if that's the case. Feels like Switch was the base platform and the other consoles were up-ports. Maybe not though.
Yeah MM11 was clearly targeted at Switch and upscaled to other platforms. The other console versions have the exact same settings as Switch except more anti-aliasing.

Last edited:

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
User warned: Drive-by posting
I want [blank], so there for me not having [blank] is a terrible business decision.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Trolling, Drive-by posting
I want [blank], so there for me not having [blank] is a terrible business decision.
Don't worry bro this isn't a port begging thread just a business decision thread ! so we're allowed to talk about [blank] being "perfect for the switch" under the guise of everyone else gatekeeping.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry bro this isn't a port begging thread just a business decision thread ! so we're allowed to talk about [blank] being "perfect for the switch" under the guise of everyone else gatekeeping.
Port begging something that doesn't exist? Every thread wanting RE4 remake or some shit is port begging?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
This thread is largely approaching the idea of MH Switch with the lens of how it would benefit or not benefit Capcom compared to other decisions they could make, rather than the lens of "I want it so it's a good idea and Capcom is dumb for not doing it!" (That is how I feel about AA7)

Even if it were doing the latter it's not derailing any MHW discussion so I don't see why you would get so worked up about it.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
MM11 honestly felt higher end than MVCI. So did RER2. I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment but the stuff skipping Switch really does seem to fall into 2 camps; RE Engine games (RE7/2/3, DMC5) and games with some degree of exclusivity (SFV, MHW). Some other stuff skipped Switch too early on but they were license dependent titles that underperformed generally (Disney Afternoon, MVCI) and got swept under the rug pretty quick.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
God no. They already did a 3ds game up-res port. The games from the portable era has been out there for a long time, its content has been recycled many times. Switch deserves its own MH.

They have done that though lol

Oh, I didn't realize they did! Good. Makes sense. That's all I was saying -- that they should do that. I'm sure it printed money. (yeah, a bespoke release for the Switch would have sold better, but this probably cost a fraction to produce)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The Witcher 3 is considerably easier to run than MHW for several reasons. I'm not saying it would be impossible, but I imagine a port of MHW would be a massively more difficult undertaking.
Would it? TW3 runs significantly worse on GPDWin2 than MHW does, TW3 isn't really playable on the device (ranges 10-20fps @540p) while MHW runs surprisingly well (30-40fps @504p). Even with custom low spec mods TW3 only manages 20-30fps on Win2.

MHW has a lot of granularity to its graphical options that could, in theory, make it an easy enough game to downport if they wanted to. However, and this is the crucial part, the UI would need a gigantic overhaul to be suitable for the Switch's screen and that wouldn't be an easy task with how much information the game throws at you that you need to pay attention to. The minimap in particular would be a nightmare to read if you were trying to parse out any local resources to gather.

That said, I strongly suspect that the MT Framework fork that World uses has zero compatibility with Switch because why would it from the team's perspective, so even on the face of there being plenty that can get tuned down to make porting easier, you still have the big issue of getting the engine to work on Switch in the first place. You really can't use the current MT Framework ports on the system as a guideline either, since they're much older iterations. Any potential new game for Switch would likely still be MT Framework, but perhaps even a whole new fork altogether to better suit the platform while incorporating some of the new design elements that World features, like the seamless zones.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Can't say I really care for going backwards in tech, it's why I tend to really 'wear out' games and then skip the DLC or sometimes even sequels in the same gen. I put over 300+hours into MHW, it was a great time, but I've had my fill. I'm now ready to see what instant loading worlds better graphics and SSD means for the franchise. Not really interested in the business of it all, but just as a gamer i have very little desire to play a MH on Switch. Bring in the new stuff...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, this is what the game does to my system running literally the recommended specs in DX12 (i7-3770+RX 570 @1600x900).

LpJgzMY.png

Locking to 30 does reduce the CPU utilization of course, as does reducing LOD, but it's basically maxing out all cores/threads at all times. It's like Novigrad: The Multiplayer Experience. The game scales to basically as many threads as you can throw at it. Four thread CPUs struggle big time with the game. I think it would require a pretty serious rework to get it running on four low power ARM cores.
Well it's running 30-40fps at 504p/low settings in gameplay on a dual core (4 thread) Intel Core m3-7Y30 here. MHW is apparently far more scalable out of the box than TW3, which isn't even playable on this same device without custom mods.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If King Zell is correct, then a MonHun Switch is in the works. Probably might be revealed this mid year.

Like most have said, in Japan alone it might become the top selling entry in the franchise. Capcom is not stupid, they know about, but their close relationship to Sony is probably what's holding it back.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Locking to 30 does reduce the CPU utilization of course, as does reducing LOD, but it's basically maxing out all cores/threads at all times. It's like Novigrad: The Multiplayer Experience. The game scales to basically as many threads as you can throw at it.

To be fair, this hasn't been my experience. CPU load is pretty light on Ryzen 3600. Never seen higher than 35% usage or so at 60fps with high LOD. My wife can also play the game on a 3 core old ass AMD cpu. It probably runs around the same or slightly worse than that GPD video.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
MHW has a lot of granularity to its graphical options that could, in theory, make it an easy enough game to downport if they wanted to. However, and this is the crucial part, the UI would need a gigantic overhaul to be suitable for the Switch's screen and that wouldn't be an easy task with how much information the game throws at you that you need to pay attention to. The minimap in particular would be a nightmare to read if you were trying to parse out any local resources to gather.

That said, I strongly suspect that the MT Framework fork that World uses has zero compatibility with Switch because why would it from the team's perspective, so even on the face of there being plenty that can get tuned down to make porting easier, you still have the big issue of getting the engine to work on Switch in the first place. You really can't use the current MT Framework ports on the system as a guideline either, since they're much older iterations. Any potential new game for Switch would likely still be MT Framework, but perhaps even a whole new fork altogether to better suit the platform while incorporating some of the new design elements that World features, like the seamless zones.

This is a great post

I've been very curious about this topic as I considered a down port of world feasible given various factors but the main one being the fact that MT framework is so ubiquitous and scalable

Your logic here makes complete sense though and lines up with what I have read from development interviews about why they chose to stick with MT framework for World and what modifications and custom features they implemented

I still think i could work with serious effort and time poured in but its likely more than we think

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's running 30-40fps at 504p/low settings in gameplay on a dual core (4 thread) Intel Core m3-7Y30 here. MHW is apparently far more scalable out of the box than TW3, which isn't even playable on this same device without custom mods.

I think probably what would be best would be to port as much of MHW that's feasible, and then build new content around that tailored more specifically for the Switch.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah the effort required to port MHW would probably be large enough that it would be more worth it to either take the extra step to just make a whole new game or not do it at all.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think probably what would be best would be to port as much of MHW that's feasible, and then build new content around that tailored more specifically for the Switch.

Yeah much like the relationship of portable 3rd to Tri basically

Same generation but different scope and goals

Would be ideal for it to be a new game with content doing something maybe a bit different while still retaining most of the 5th gen core?

Would definitely be the more exciting game to have while we wait for Next Gen MHW2

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I can't see myself go back to play Monster Hunter in the old way without all of the improvements that World made, so if it must done I don't want it to be something old style like Generations Ultimate. Portable MH though is the best MH so they should at least make World + Iceborne or a sequel also on Switch.
I love my Switch but I couldn't go back to pre-World QOL....it's just sooooooo much better....

doesn't make sense for them to throw their dev team at a single console when they have everything else covered with World et al

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I'm shocked that they haven't farmed out a Switch port of World. While I think most Switch ports of PS4/X1 games are both impressive and bad at the same time, there's clearly an audience for those kinds of ports so it's weird that they wouldn't pursue this for one of their most popular games.

Honestly, I'm shocked that they haven't farmed out a Switch port of World. While I think most Switch ports of PS4/X1 games are both impressive and bad at the same time, there's clearly an audience for those kinds of ports so it's weird that they wouldn't pursue this for one of their most popular games.
The main team has made it clear that they're not comfortable at all with outsourcing World, which is why we got such delays with the PC version and how long it's taken to get it to content parity. If they were interested in porting World to Switch, they'd feel the same way about it.

Now, I have my opinions on how they handled the content scheduling for the PC version in the first place (which is to say, complete horseshit and goddamned irrational), but I do feel that also plays a part in a Switch version having to start from zero in that regard, especially with the weird dichotomy of DLC monsters like Deviljho and Lunastra not being a part of the main story of the game, while being present and accounted for throughout Iceborne. It's... a mess to consider, to say the least.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Either way they aren't gonna give us a damn morsel of info till Iceborne run is finished and they might even take a break before the next announcements

Im still hoping they have a tease for the Future of MH beyond Iceborne this year

Seems selfish but I can never get enough MH ya know

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The main team has made it clear that they're not comfortable at all with outsourcing World, which is why we got such delays with the PC version and how long its taken to get it to content parity. If they were interested in porting World to Switch, they'd feel the same way about it.

Thing is, I have a hard time believing a Switch port ever happens without it being farmed out because there's a reason very few developers tackle Switch ports on their own.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

Seems to run perfectly playable.

How different is the Switch from that GPDWin?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
It averages around 25 FPS on one of my PCs with an A8-5500 and a 1050 Ti, all cores pegged at 100% and GPU underutilized, all settings low. As for the 3600, it has 12 threads. When you start getting to 8 or less, you see CPU utilization start getting up to 80%+ across all cores.

At any rate, I'm going to quote my earlier post in the thread, because I don't want my position to get twisted here. I'm not saying it would be an impossible port or whatever, just that there would be some very significant compromises needed and it would pose some difficult and unique challenges. I would not be at all surprised if it was a more difficult port than TW3.

I was more speaking to the "The game scales to basically as many threads as you can throw at it. " part. And the general idea that MHW is a CPU bound game, which it really is not on PC. Pretty much any recent CPU will be bottlenecked by GPU.

I was speaking purely to the PC version of the game. The Switch CPU is especially weak and would almost certainly put out inconsistent performance even with a 30fps target.