• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A Monster Hunter on the Switch would easily outsell world I think. Though its not that hard to figure out why it hasnt happened, Capcom doesnt have infinite dev teams.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
User banned (1 week): trolling, platform wars, long history of related priors
If y'all want to port-beg while ignoring numbers then then do you. Hopefully Nintendo cuts that check again so you'll get your wish.
Generations filled that gap for me, thankfully I didn't play it much on 3DS.
That's what's weird about this thread and the handful of posters on here that continue to whine about this topic. Not only is there a MH game on the platform, it's a great game as well.

Apparently that's not good enough though.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
If y'all want to port-beg while ignoring numbers then then do you. Hopefully Nintendo cuts that check again so you'll get your wish.

That's what's weird about this thread and the handful of posters on here that continue to whine about this topic. Not only is there a MH game on the platform, it's a great game as well.

Apparently that's not good enough though.

The only one whining ist the one who's begging to stop the conversation, because just the idea of Monster Hunter on a Nintendo system seems to hurt someones feelings.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

That's what's weird about this thread and the handful of posters on here that continue to whine about this topic.

No one is ignoring MHW's numbers, and dismissing the discussion in this thread as just "whining" says more about you than it does about anyone else.

There are valid reasons to think that Capcom might consider making a Switch Monster Hunter in the time before MHW2. No one is saying that the Monster Hunter World sub-series would cease to exist.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
port-beg for what, exactly? i guess you can call it new game-begging, but that happens like a hundred times every day on this forum, people asking for new games in their favorite series for whatever platform. why does it bother people when it's for a new MH on switch?

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
The only one whining ist the one who's begging to stop the conversation, because the Just the idea of Monster Hunter on a Nintendo system seems to hurt someones feelings.
Well I own Generations Ultimate so maybe the individuals you're referring to should check out the game. It even goes on sale quite often. :)

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Yeah there should have been a new Monster Hunter game released on Switch by this point, or at least announced. They're leaving millions in sales on the table. It would very easily become one of Capcom's best-selling titles ever, and they certainly have the resources to maintain larger AAA games in the series like World alongside some other sub-series. I still assume they'll announce one for Switch at some point, though. It'd be too stupid not to.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The switch is a definite success no doubt but outside of indies I don't really see 3rd parties setting the charts on fire. It's dominated by Nintendo published games.
Pretty much every game Capcom has put on Switch has sold favorably compared to other platforms. I doubt the inevitable Team Portable/Generations MH5 based title will be any different.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
A Monster Hunter on the Switch would easily outsell world I think. Though its not that hard to figure out why it hasnt happened, Capcom doesnt have infinite dev teams.
That's ludicrous. World has sold >15m copies and is on 3 platforms.

A Switch Monster Hunter would almost certainly be in the top 10 for Capcom and most likely do better than almost every non-World Monster Hunter, but it absolutely would not "easily outsell" World.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Well I own Generations Ultimate so maybe the individuals you're referring to should check out the game. It even goes on sale quite often. :)

You are still complaining about the mere idea of a new Monster Hunter on a Nintendo system. Just because you say you own a certain piece of plastic doesn't change that it obviously bothers you.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
...and? Capcom has multiple RE games in development simultaneously. If anything, the greatly increased profile of Monster Hunter suggests that we'll get more MH games in the future, not fewer.

It's weird using this as a reason we won't see a Switch game, when it's generally agreed that MHW2 is a next-gen title that is years away. 15 million sales, and Capcom's just going to let the series lie dormant until MHW2?
How many of those Resident Evil games are Switch exclusive? Or exclusive to any platform, for that matter.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
MHW sale makes it clear that there are bigger MH market outside handheld. Why should Capcom move the franchise back to handheld? If anything, the Switch might get the downgraded port of whatever the next gen Monster Hunter is. The day of handheld exclusive Monster Hunter is over.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
MHW sale makes it clear that there are bigger MH market outside handheld. Why should Capcom move the franchise back to handheld? If anything, the Switch might get the downgraded port of whatever the next gen Monster Hunter is. The day of handheld exclusive Monster Hunter is over.
Because Capcom would not be choosing to support handhelds over home console, it would be making a handheld MH in addition to its huge 10M+ home console entries. It's not an either or situation, which some people seem to find very hard to understand. Capcom can have its cake and eat it, too. You will get your beautiful next-gen console MHW 2 with 4K and raytracing or whatever in 2021 or 2022. Why can't Capcom put out another MH for handhelds in the interim?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's instant profit if they committed to a Switch game. There is literally zero risk of it being a flop. They also have games on mobile so it's not like having it on less capable hardware could hurt the franchise's newfound popularity.

It makes all the sense in the world. :p

Hell even a port of Portable 3rd HD ver. would sell a decent amount since it would be the West's introduction to the previous best selling game in the series.

That said, HD development is lengthy and expensive and Capcom has just now finally gotten on the level it has always wanted to be on with the big American and European companies. So they'll probably mimick them and have eyes only for the twins and PC.

They made a big push during the Wii and 3DS/Wii U days and were there pretty early with Switch but the Nintendo love story has probably come to an end after World.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nobody is talking about 'moving the franchise back to handheld' or 'handheld exclusive MH'. The discussion is about whether the multiple teams Capcom has can put an entry on Switch in addition to, and without affecting, any possible (and let's face it inevitable) sequel to MHW's awesome success found on multiplat.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
GenU happened and day 1 with free online at the time had a nearly dead community online. Around 3-4 pages of lobbies or 12-20 lobbies. Just give it up with this Switch begging shit already, damn. If it happens, it happens.
Not sure if serious or trolling but that's how many lobbies GU can display at once. It doesn't mean that's how many there actually are. By the same metric, World can only display 18 lobbies at one time (on PC at least), is that how many actual lobbies there are?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Because Capcom would not be choosing to support handhelds over home console, it would be making a handheld MH in addition to its huge 10M+ home console entries. It's not an either or situation, which some people seem to find very hard to understand. Capcom can have its cake and eat it, too. You will get your beautiful next-gen console MHW 2 with 4K and raytracing or whatever in 2021 or 2022. Why can't Capcom put out another MH for handhelds in the interim?

Why should Capcom fragment their development teams to make 2 different games when they can just port the same game to the Switch? It will cost far less money for them and Switch owners will run out to buy the port anyway.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
That you need to combine the sales of Capcoms best selling game on 3 different systems to somehow argue that a potential 5-7 million seller isn't worth the effort, just demonstrates that it actually ist very viable. Or are you really trying to tell us that selling similar to the PS4 MHW SKU on Switch is somehow a weak performance? That's similar to What mainline Resident Evil games sell on several systems combined. Adding a Switch version to their multiplatform strategy, just means adding an additional userbase, one that is similarly successful as PS4 as a whole and actually relevant in Japan, as your potential audience. And even If it's the revived portable series as a console exclusives on Switch, they can still add a PC SKU.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many of those Resident Evil games are Switch exclusive? Or exclusive to any platform, for that matter.
why does that matter when a potential MH on switch can outsell a multiplatform RE? does it make a difference if the sales come from one or multiple platforms?

and there's no reason it has to be switch exclusive, it can be made for switch's hardware and easily get up-ported to ps4/xb1/pc.

the argument that a MH game for switch would be a waste of resources for capcom makes zero sense when they develop and publish other games that won't sell as well as that MH game. it's not a zero sum game, publishers fund and publish multiple games for multiple platform cuz they want multiple sources of revenue.

at the end of the day (and simplifying it a little bit):
- MHW2 on ps4/xb1/ps5/xsx/pc will sell 15 million, regardless of switch getting an MH game or not
- an MH game on switch would get them an ADDITIONAL 5 (very safe guess, most likely more) million sales

publishers don't easily pass on projects that would sell that much and make them that much money. doesn't matter if they have other games that sell 15 million or not.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I don't know how many years folks were saying how good monster hunter would do on ps3, it was sad because I was one of them. And so many others said no way, it usually devolved into port begging.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Why should Capcom fragment their development teams to make 2 different games when they can just port the same game to the Switch? It will cost far less money for them and Switch owners will run out to buy the port anyway.
Because there's no fragmentation, there's already a secondary design team in place and pretty obviously working on something. This is the team that made Portable 3rd and Generations.

Oct 25, 2017
That you need to combine the sales of Capcoms best selling game on 3 different systems to somehow argue that a potential 5-7 million seller isn't worth the effort, just demonstrates that it actually ist very viable. Or are you really trying to tell us that selling similar to the MHW SKU on Switch is somehow a weak performance? That's similar to What mainline Resident Evil games sell on several systems combined. Adding a Switch version to their multiplatform strategy, just means adding an additional userbase, one that is similarly successful as PS4 as a whole and actually relevant in Japan, as your potential audience. And even If it's the revived portable series as a console exclusives on Switch, they can still add a PC SKU.
Bingo

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's kind of like saying "well Mario Kart outsold every Mario game ever so Nintendo should only make Mario racing games from now on".

Uh no. The correct answer is to continue to make Mario Kart and regular Mario and even 3D Mario etc. etc. etc.

That is smart business. Not the other way around.

A major Monster Hunter game on the Switch looking at the system's success worldwide and in Japan in particular I think probably has a sales potential in the range of 8-10 million copies, which would make it Capcom's 2nd highest selling game ever and probably not that far off from MHW's PS4 single platform sales.
That is a terrible analogy. Nintendo needs to provide different experiences for people to want their console. Capcom only needs to make money, there's no reason for them to do B if they can do A and make more money (especially when both games would be from the same franchise).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That is a terrible analogy. Nintendo needs to provide different experiences for people to want their console. Capcom only needs to make money, there's no reason for them to do B if they can do A and make more money (especially when both games would be from the same franchise).
If doing B in addition to A would be more profitable than 95% of Capcom's other projects, then yes, there's plenty of reason to do it.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. Monster Hunter World absolutely crushed the sales of any previous game in the franchise, so now they should go back and make an exclusive entry on a weaker console? In my opinion, part of the reason it broke out in such a big way in the west was the technical leap Capcom were able to make, so going back to Switch would negate that in a big way. Truthfully I also think the games just appeal more to the kind of audience you find on Xbox and PlayStation (in the west of course, not Japan). There's no chance a Switch followup would do as well as World, so why would they take that opportunity cost when they could just focus on a sequel? Not to say that one won't happen on Switch, but if it happens it's going to be a smaller budget entry with less resources put towards it, and it won't do nearly as well.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
The Capcom defense force is sure to have already come out swinging, but... I've felt this way from day one, and Capcom has largely fudged up the Switch potential entirely

edit: case in point

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
If doing B in addition to A would be more profitable than 95% of Capcom's other projects, then yes, there's plenty of reason to do it.
Franchise fatigue is a thing. And given how many people it takes to make a game these days, having multiple teams working on the same franchise doesn't seem like the best solution (MH is no COD). They have other successful franchises waiting for new entries.

Jun 10, 2018
This sounds like sour grapes to be honest.
I assure you it's not. I prefer the old style of play as it matched more with portable sensibilities (my preferred way to play). Console centric fans however like the new direction the series took and will continue to take.

So if the series is going to keep going in that direction, I personally don't care for it appear on the Switch since it no longer is my style of game 🤷🏾‍♂️. It's really just an admittance the series isn't for me anymore.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
having multiple teams working on the same franchise doesn't seem like the best solution
they already have multiple teams working on the MH franchise.

This is ridiculous. Monster Hunter World absolutely crushed the sales of any previous game in the franchise, so now they should go back and make an exclusive entry on a weaker console? In my opinion, part of the reason it broke out in such a big way in the west was the technical leap Capcom were able to make, so going back to Switch would negate that in a big way. Truthfully I also think the games just appeal more to the kind of audience you find on Xbox and PlayStation (in the west of course, not Japan). There's no chance a Switch followup would do as well as World, so why would they take that opportunity cost when they could just focus on a sequel? Not to say that one won't happen on Switch, but if it happens it's going to be a smaller budget entry with less resources put towards it, and it won't do nearly as well.
do you wish for them to stop making new RE/DMC/whatever games as well? those won't do as well as world either, and a monster hunter game on switch would sell more than those (multiplatform) games.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nobody is saying 'do it instead of MHW2'. They have multiple MH teams, and even if a Switch entry only did what the 3DS games managed, it would still outsell pretty much almost everything else Capcom makes including various other multiplat IP. 'Not doing nearly as well as MHW' covers pretty much everything Capcom has ever made, but portable entries are still there in the top ten.

Oct 25, 2017
And because of that they should ignore a 50 million and growing userbase that they probably could get 7 million in sales?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Franchise fatigue is a thing. And given how many people it takes to make a game these days, having multiple teams working on the same franchise doesn't seem like the best solution (MH is no COD). They have other successful franchises waiting for new entries.
They already have multiple MH teams. MHW was worked on while Generations was being made, then there's Stories, the mobile games etc etc, and yet 'franchise fatigue' didn't slow MHW down. It worked to the opposite in capitalising on hunger for MH games. This isn't a new concept.