• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I can agree to this but acknowledging its possible is about as far as we can speculate for now

The monster hunter devs are very good at keeping the future and current workings hidden and they rarely divulge inside info
I will say this - the MH team knows what is best for the IP and if they want MH on the Switch its gonna happen.
My issue isnt with Capcom - but with users acting as if bringing MH to Switch while still planning a MW2 for next-gen systems is something that would be impossible for Capcom if they really wanted.

MH is a big deal now and the MHW2 launch would probably need to be a massive release for Capcom. Doubt they are looking to release this when PS5/Xbox have a install base of less than 20m - especially when it comes to Japan this would be quite devastating. Even on PS4/XBO it took 3-4 years for MH to finally show up. RE8 is likely 2021 - so i dont see a next-gen MH happening before 2022.

I know Japan isnt the mayor market for MH anymore - but MHW sold alot on PS4 and the IPs selling power todays comes from the strenght of their past portable titles. Personally i think MH needs to be represented in some way on Switch if the IP wants to grow even further.

What is better than a massive seller on PS/Xbox and PC ? A massive seller on PS/Xbox/PC and Switch.

But anyway...time will tell - if it wasnt for Covid 19 i would have expected a announcement this e3.

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm sure they'll make a Monster Hunter Switch game. There's no reason for them not to keep World going for PS/XB/PC and have a Switch one. Though I figured it would have happened by now so what do I know

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this - the MH team knows what is best for the IP and if they want MH on the Switch its gonna happen.
My issue isnt with Capcom - but with users acting as if bringing MH to Switch while still planning a MW2 for next-gen systems is something that would be impossible for Capcom if they really wanted.

MH is a big deal now and the MHW2 launch would probably need to be a massive release for Capcom. Doubt they are looking to release this when PS5/Xbox have a install base of less than 20m - especially when it comes to Japan this would be quite devastating. Even on PS4/XBO it took 3-4 years for MH to finally show up. RE8 is likely 2021 - so i dont see a next-gen MH happening before 2022.

I know Japan isnt the mayor market for MH anymore - but MHW sold alot on PS4 and the IPs selling power todays comes from the strenght of their past portable titles. Personally i think MH needs to be represented in some way on Switch if the IP wants to grow even further.

What is better than a massive seller on PS/Xbox and PC ? A massive seller on PS/Xbox/PC and Switch.

But anyway...time will tell - if it wasnt for Covid 19 i would have expected a announcement this e3.

If they made a lower budget title as a bridge game for the franchise I dont think it should be exclusive

Outside of that i think its very possible it happens given that MHW2 is still likely 1-2 years or more away and we do need something for the gap to keep the franchise actively growing its base

As you said Covid outbreak really pushes the timeline

Wonder if we still might see something teased this year

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure a port of World will come along eventually.

But it makes no sense to develop solely for one platform.

The previous best-selling game in the series (and Capcom's fastest-selling game ever at the time, and Capcom's fourth bestselling game ever at the time) was exclusive to one platform that wasn't nearly as globally relevant as the Switch is.

A Switch-exclusive Monster Hunter would easily outsell Devil May Cry 5 and would probably cost less to make. Did it make sense for Capcom to develop Devil May Cry 5?

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Platform wars
Why are some people so desperate to downgrade Monster Hunter again? It finally made the right step and we got the best Monster Hunter game yet. Make a new game for PS5/XSX/PC next, Capcom.

The same reason MHW has been heavily concerned trolled since its unveiling. I suspect most people doing the "portable" argument didn't even start the series on PSP but on the home console Wii. And are refusing to play MHW on a laptop simply because the latter isn't made by one certain company.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
GenU happened and day 1 with free online at the time had a nearly dead community online. Around 3-4 pages of lobbies or 12-20 lobbies. Just give it up with this Switch begging shit already, damn. If it happens, it happens.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The same reason MHW has been heavily concerned trolled since its unveiling. I suspect most people doing the "portable" argument didn't even start the series on PSP but on the home console Wii. And are refusing to play MHW on a laptop simply because the latter isn't made by one certain company.

"Concern trolling" has apparently lost all meaning if you think what's happening in this thread is concern trolling. And "MHW is portable, if you play it on a laptop!" is a pretty laughable point to bring up.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I think mh on switch is inevitable, but im not sure it is going to be mhw. Possibly it will be monster hunter S (s stands for switch)

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Pathetic how offended people act to be by the mere mentioning of interest of Switch support. That's the ugly face of consolewarring.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
If developing "Monster Hunter Land" doesn't make sense, then developing Devil May Cry 5 definitely doesn't make sense.

DMC5 happened when Itsuno went to the big boss of Capcom with a wishlist and the boss said yes.

"I either want to make Devil May Cry 5 or Dragon's Dogma 2." And Tsujimoto-san, to his credit, he's like, "Creators should be able to make what they want to make, so go ahead, do whatever you want to do."

www.polygon.com

Devil May Cry 5: The post-mortem interview

From the game’s development history to its focused nature to the coolest way to pick up a phone

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This reads like a glorified port beg. Capcom made their decision to move on from handheld for their main entry MH games. Y'all need to chill with the backseat investor threads.
Also I have no doubt in my mind Capcom can make a HW World game on the Switch. We've seen the Witcher on the Switch, I'm sure they can find a way to get MHWorld on it.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
There was also a lack of mh games on ps consoles for years since MH2 in 2006, its our turn buddy 🤷‍♂️

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom has moved on and they know where the MH series needs to go and its not locking it down to weaker handheld power, it is pushing towards multi-formats and finally getting rid of those clunky animations and staples the series has had for years. Tbh, they should still try and port World to Switch, just to see if they can.

Crossplay needs to be a thing before a Switch exclusive MH personally.
I much prefer portable Hunter and even I'm in full agreement with this.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I played it on PS4 and about 4 games before that and mobile monster hunter is amazing.

Sure, it's great on the big boys but it's perfect on the go, not connected to a TV.

But sure, go off about what ever this argument your making.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They only have one new Monster Hunter this gen and its the super successful World.
Now that they cant reuse assets Capcom is way more careful, and slow in releasing Monster Hunter games

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Switch can run PS4 caliber graphics so that's a non-issue if a developer wants to take it there it can go there. It's not some piddly 3DS versus a PS3 or something.
I mean the Switch obviously can't run PS4 calibre graphics. But of course, you can downgrade most games enough to make them playable on a Switch. But if that was easily doable with MHW, then we already should have seen a Switch port, right? But if it's possible after all, it might be the best way to handle this situation. Because delegating a whole other team to a second Monster Hunter project feels like a waste of resources. I'd rather have other franchises covered as well instead of putting two Capcom teams on the same franchise.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
What the hell are you even saying...

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Because delegating a whole other team to a second Monster Hunter project feels like a waste of resources. I'd rather have other franchises covered as well instead of putting two Capcom teams on the same franchise.

The contortions going on in this thread to make it a *bad* idea to develop a game based heavily off existing assets that could easily sell 7M worldwide is something to see indeed.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
This reads like a glorified port beg. Capcom made their decision to move on from handheld for their main entry MH games. Y'all need to chill with the backseat investor threads.
Also I have no doubt in my mind Capcom can make a HW World game on the Switch. We've seen the Witcher on the Switch, I'm sure they can find a way to get MHWorld on it.
Ugh you stole my post. How can the OP list "a bad business decision" and literally give no business decision facts, just hypotheticals based on the Switch selling well (and selling well for majority Nintendo software) and Monster Hunter World becoming a global phenomenon. Its odd. To me, we've seen a successful expansion their highest selling game, a new Devil May Cry, a highly successful resident evil remake, another one released a year later, rumors of two more resident evil games. How are any of those results of bad business decisions?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the Switch obviously can't run PS4 calibre graphics. But of course, you can downgrade most games enough to make them playable on a Switch. But if that was easily doable with MHW, then we already should have seen a Switch port, right? But if it's possible after all, it might be the best way to handle this situation. Because delegating a whole other team to a second Monster Hunter project feels like a waste of resources. I'd rather have other franchises covered as well instead of putting two Capcom teams on the same franchise.

Yeah i was trying to nicely explain that outside of hopeful speculation that its just as likely the "other teams" are helping with the MHW sequel

Im sure we have all noticed the shifting of various staff and directors between world and Iceborne?

They also did a video documentary of sorts about the making of the original world and you can learn a bunch about their next generation of staff and how their teams grew

Things can change and are changing fast for the MH devs and the "teams"

Just because a pattern or precedent existed before is not evidence that they are following that same structure now

If anything the dev team is more different than they have ever been internally. Its a massive shift with the success and demands of this new reality.

So UNLESS one of you is actually sitting on anything substantial to share outside of wishful thinking.... it just boils down to "sit down and wait"

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom doesn't have many franchises that would sell as well as a Monster Hunter Switch version. In fact only a very high quality mainline Resident Evil would be able to pull it off and they already have many people working on Resident Evil projects. Any other game besides Monster Hunter Switch would be a waste of resources.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
The same parties that tend to concern troll on Japanese games that do not appear on Switch found their way to this one as well. From Persona 5 / Royal to the Nier remaster, Sakura Wars to what ever Falcom is doing its always the same argument in the end, Resetera armchair analyst smart, game corporations idiotic. Its nauseating.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The contortions going on in this thread to make it a *bad* idea to develop a game based heavily off existing assets that could easily sell 7M worldwide is something to see indeed.

But you are just twisting in the wind trying to make sense of why its not happening

Factually speaking internally Capcom is achieving their goals and then some. Breaking franchise and business records actually

The assertion made in the topic title makes no fucking sense and damn near borders on port begging

"How could they not see this as plain as day as I have!!"

"I should be running the show over their! I know how to make more money than they do by designing business decisions around my personal preferences!"

That's what it reads like. I here I am being nice cuz im also a switch owner who loves portable games but Im a much larger MH fan than anything and i can say with confidence that MHW is the best thing they could have done for the series

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The same parties that tend to concern troll on Japanese games that do not appear on Switch found their way to this one as well. From Persona 5 / Royal to the Nier remaster, Sakura Wars to what ever Falcom is doing its always the same argument in the end, Resetera armchair analyst smart, game corporations idiotic. Its nauseating.

... and literally every post you've made on this site is replying to that subject.🤔

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
what does "concern troll" even mean any more

and also why would someone go into a thread that's clearly about armchair business analysis just to dismiss the entire genre of discussion

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom doesn't have many franchises that would sell as well as a Monster Hunter Switch version. In fact only a very high quality mainline Resident Evil would be able to pull it off and they already have many people working on Resident Evil projects. Any other game besides Monster Hunter Switch would be a waste of resources.

Any MH game they make that isnt running multiplatform and globally is a waste of resources

Just though i would correct you there

Trust me I want their games on switch too but this exclusive titles should never ever ever fucking ever make a return for this series

Fucking ever

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
There was also a lack of mh games on ps consoles for years since MH2 in 2006, its our turn buddy 🤷‍♂️

Quite a few others that are opposed to a hypothetical Switch Monster Hunter seem to share a similar mindset. At least you are more upfront about it, while others try to hide behind excuses.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I here I am being nice cuz im also a switch owner who loves portable games but Im a much larger MH fan than anything and i can say with confidence that MHW is the best thing they could have done for the series
MHW was totally what the series needed. It's stable now but, at the time, was reliant on a portable market only relevant in one territory. What MHW has done is cemented MonHun's continued existence for everyone, and, switch version or not, that's something I'm very very pleased for. Even if we don't get a new Switch game, we'll see Capcom continue to make MonHun games for various platforms, so in terms of the 'big picture' I'm happy even if I'd like another portable one to play on my commute which is my main gaming time.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Trust me I want their games on switch too but this exclusive titles should never ever ever fucking ever make a return for this series

Fucking ever

Why not, if the exclusive title would sell more than enough to justify its development?

Now it seems like you are saying they should "design business decisions around your personal preferences."

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
what does "concern troll" even mean any more

and also why would someone go into a thread that's clearly about armchair business analysis just to dismiss the entire genre of discussion

We dont need to play dumb. The level of malfeasance and bad faith that was done in the original MHW threads, previews, release, sales, OTs is damn near ingrained in eveyones minds on this site by now

Never forget

Its not entirely relevant to this thread i. Particular but it does provide context

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I'll bite: why exactly can't there be a Switch-exclusive Monster Hunter title, particularly with Iceborne's roadmap suggesting that we've got about another year's worth of updates to look forward to?

Because this series should join its contemporaries in Capcoms catalogue for reaching all audiences everywhere they can without restriction

Its my pro consumer default stance

I can't think of many things more unpopular on in gamers minds than platform exclusive third party games

Im frankly amazed people are arguing for it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because this series should join its contemporaries in Capcoms catalogue for reaching all audiences everywhere they can without restriction

In that regard though isn't it a bit arbitrary to decide what subset of systems is acceptable and what isn't?

For instance if they announced MH Land for Switch/PC/Apple Arcade. Would that be acceptable?

It wouldn't be everywhere but it would be serving audiences World isn't.

Because its the subject that tends to have the most amount of misinformation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems masochistic to me to spend all your energy on a subject you find nauseating.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I can't think of many things more unpopular on in gamers minds than platform exclusive third party games

I think you're confusing people recognizing the business case for an exclusive game with them arguing that exclusive games are somehow better for consumers.

This thread, again, is about the potential business case for a Switch Monster Hunter.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
In that regard though isn't it a bit arbitrary to decide what subset of systems is acceptable and what isn't?

For instance if they announced MH Land for Switch/PC/Apple Arcade. Would that be acceptable?

It wouldn't be everywhere but it would be serving audiences World isn't.

Seems masochistic to me to spend all your energy on a subject you find nauseating.

Sure though of course i would lament low budget games not just being out everywhere despite those platform choices following a logical subset

I suppose a more reasonable stance is all their titles should be multiplatform

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

I am confused. Unless I am misreading the OP, he's not arguing for a Switch exclusive MH? He's just arguing the franchise should be on Switch. Wouldn't that go along with your vision of " reaching all audiences everywhere they can without restriction"?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Just say you want it. You don't have to tap into non-existent business insight you don't have beyond "the switch is selling well"

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I am confused. Unless I am misreading the OP, he's not arguing for a Switch exclusive MH? He's just arguing the franchise should be on Switch. Wouldn't that go along with your vision of " reaching all audiences everywhere they can without restriction"?

The franchise is on Switch...

Also i was in a reply chain with other users so im i need to jump back onto addressing the OPs statements obviously my comments would be changed to reflect that

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

In case of Falcom games, sales pretty much halved from ColdSteel 1+2 to ColdSteel1 3+4 in Japan. Contrary to certain "Falcom Fans" suggestions, NIS+Falcon work together and expand their audience by adding Switch versions to the mix, most recently with the ColdSteel4 announcement.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Sure though of course i would lament low budget games not just being out everywhere despite those platform choices following a logical subset

I suppose a more reasonable stance is all their titles should be multiplatform
I don't mind if games are multiplatform but the reality is that Capcom chose to focus on high end graphics for the PS4/Xbox version and I don't think they will want to adapt a portable version to PS4/Xbox. I think the brand broke out because of the high end graphics on those platforms. I don't think they will want to damage that image. It could happen but I think they will go for a portable version that plays to the strengths of the Switch and looks really good for the system.