• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I had actually been playing alot of Virtua Tennis 4 in the past month. There are still a couple people playing online on PS3. I never liked the Top Spin series and so I am hoping that a new VT will eventually get another for this gen.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how back in the day I used to buy sports games I never watched nor was a fan of but would enjoy the hell out of the games like golf, tennis, hockey, soccer, etc... and yes Virtua Tennis is the best, although I remember enjoying Top Spin.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
It's funny how back in the day I used to buy sports games I never watched nor was a fan of but would enjoy the hell out of the games like golf, tennis, hockey, soccer, etc... and yes Virtua Tennis is the best, although I remember enjoying Top Spin.

I guess that is something I loved about tennis in particular. It is not a sport that you need to keep up with in order to enjoy. Maybe that applies to a lesser extent to games like soccer or basketball. (I do keep up with tennis, though, from time to time, but wouldn't say I am an avid fan of the sport).

Its simple formula makes for a great arcade experience.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I think Tennis World Tour is going to be really good. I enjoyed the gameplay they just put up of Agassi vs. McEnroe, and it looks to have the Topspin framework. And with Mario Tennis Aces so soon as well, it's finally a good time to be a video game tennis fan!

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I guess that is something I loved about tennis in particular. It is not a sport that you need to keep up with in order to enjoy. Maybe that applies to a lesser extent to games like soccer or basketball. (I do keep up with tennis, though, from time to time, but wouldn't say I am an avid fan of the sport).

Its simple formula makes for a great arcade experience.
Tennis and hockey games are a (to mix up my sports metaphors) slam dunk for video game versions. They are inherently a natural fit so it's a bummer to see them both sort of fade away in prominence even though I understand why.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I think Tennis World Tour is going to really good. I enjoyed the gameplay they just put up of Agassi vs. McEnroe, and it looks to have the Topspin framework. And with Mario Tennis Aces so soon as well, it's finally a good time to be a video game tennis fan!

I really hope so!
I was so excited when they announced it.

Maybe I prefer the arcade fun of Virtua Tennis over the more technical Top Spin, but I am just happy that someone is putting some effort into a tennis game.

Oct 25, 2017
You're in luck, OP.

jhK5UfeksE2_bwXbaMuq31tKJMZxde0e.png
Please be good.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Any sports games other than American Football, Football (soccer), Basketball, Hockey and Baseball kind of went away in the era of AAA gaming. I guess they just won't make the money.

The last PGA tour game was I think 2014.

We used to get Cricket games, Rugby, Non-madden American football games, Field sports, Fishing, Lacrosse, Ping Pong, Volleyball, Surfing, etc.

Now no one takes any risks.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
To be fair I haven't played the later Top Spin sequels but when I played the former it just didn't click with me, maybe it was the countless hours I spent with Virtua Tennis and that is the standard I judge others by. I might need to go back and give them another shot (though all of my playing consists of multiplayer with friends and no single player)

We tried to give Tennis 2K2 a shot on Dreamcast but for multiplayer we always ended up going back to the original. 2K2's mechanics just felt a little off compared to the original.

Top Spin 2 and 3 (never played the original) were pretty decent games, but I'd say they had some flaws, mainly the games didn't feel as exciting as they should, as was the case in Virtua Tennis. But in Top Spin 4 this was corrected, making the gameplay tonnes of fun and really challenging, it was geniously satisfying to hit a winner after a tough rally or go to the net to finish the job. It also included a good number of legendary players and I think all events except Wimbledon were licensed. So far, it seems the level of ambition for World Tour Tennis is much reduced, but if they can deliver the same gameplay I'd already be pretty happy. Unfortunately I suspect the game will be a dissapoinment, but I hope I am wrong.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
By the way Virtua Tennis and Top Spin should even be compared, one is an arcade game and the other is a simulater. It's like comparing Daytona to Grant Turismo.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new Mario Tennis genuinely looks like the most innovative and fun Tennis game in over a fuckin decade. At least we're good for now.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Nobody played Tennis Elbow here? The game is already 5 years old, the graphics looked dated for a 2013 game (but it's an indie one) but gameplay-wise it's the most realistic and complete one I've ever played and mods helped me to fill the void Top Spin had left

Deimo5

Oct 25, 2017
I want Tennis World Tour to be good but it looks like a ps3 game and doesn't seem to be making significant strides over Top Spin 4, a game from 2011. I would even say it looks worse right now unfortunately. Animations and sound meh, roster meh, nothing sticks out as good.
Anyway, with Everybody's Golf getting a solid reception last year I wish they could continue that with another Everybody's Tennis too.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Nobody played Tennis Elbow here? The game is already 5 years old, the graphics looked dated for a 2013 game (but it's an indie one) but gameplay-wise it's the most realistic and complete one I've ever played and mods helped me to fill the void Top Spin had left

I think I've heard about it a while ago. I guess I should give it a try. Thanks!

Deleted member 21693

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP, here's why:

- US Tennis SUCKS
Look at the Top 10 of Men's tennis over the last decade. It's dominated by Europe. US men are an utter joke. If the US sucks at something, they don't really care about it that much. With the US not caring about it that much, it's really difficult to justify a huge budget for a game. This alone bring a ton of problems. (And unfortunately no. Serena being a living legend is not good enough for the US crowd I'm afraid. She's not a white man. Just imagine the racist comments if she was the sole cover star.)

- licensing Tennis is a nightmare
It's not like FIFA. You have to license each and every player, each and every tournament. That's a nightmare and costs a fortune.

- Tennis Ultimate Team is hence impossible
I think this needs to be its own point. FIFA makes a ridiculous amount of money because of Ultimate Team. Without it any Tennis game will be less attractive for any publisher.

- the animations need to be on point
This is also very expensive to do.

- Tennis eSports is weird
The characteristics of eSport are either team composition or meta improvement. I don't think that's a big thing in sports games. You should be able to win if you can control the game better than your opponent. Not because if some buff you chose. But Tennis World Tour is actually trying to be more eSports interesringly.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
OP, here's why:

- US Tennis SUCKS
Look at the Top 10 of Men's tennis over the last decade. It's dominated by Europe. US men are an utter joke. If the US sucks at something, they don't really care about it that much. With the US not caring about it that much, it's really difficult to justify a huge budget for a game. This alone bring a ton of problems. (And unfortunately no. Serena being a living legend is not good enough for the US crowd I'm afraid. She's not a white man. Just imagine the racist comments if she was the sole cover star.)

- licensing Tennis is a nightmare
It's not like FIFA. You have to license each and every player, each and every tournament. That's a nightmare and costs a fortune.

- Tennis Ultimate Team is hence impossible
I think this needs to be its own point. FIFA makes a ridiculous amount of money because of Ultimate Team. Without it any Tennis game will be less attractive for any publisher.

- the animations need to be on point
This is also very expensive to do.

- Tennis eSports is weird
The characteristics of eSport are either team composition or meta improvement. I don't think that's a big thing in sports games. You should be able to win if you can control the game better than your opponent. Not because if some buff you chose. But Tennis World Tour is actually trying to be more eSports interesringly.

All of the things you've said are pretty valid, excpect for the animation part. I mean I am not an animation expert or anything remotely close to that, but I don't think animating 2-4 moving players is more complicated that an entire pitch of football players or a basketball court where there is more movement and action. (e.g. keeper and attacker, attacker and defender, freekicks, offisdes, crosses, long passes) etc...

But I can see how the licensing issues could be a major hurdle.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Tennis Elbow is the most realistic one around in terms of physics and tactics but I could never get into it due to how stiff the animations were. The players looked like they were skating across the court as opposed to running across it. That was a few years ago though, might be better now.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
In tennis games, you need a markting and licensing deal with every single player. It's much easier licensing teams like in NFL.

I disagree that tennis is smaller than most of the sports listed here. It's still one of the biggest global sports, clearly behind soccer obviously.

Bummer that the new games both look so shitty :/ I am a tennis player myself and this is noewhere close to reality. I will keep on playing the excellent Tennis Elbow 2013 (check out the ITST mod), and recommend it to everybody...

Oct 25, 2017
I was incredibly hyped for World Tour Tennis when it was announced. Finally a tennis game for my PS4? With Federer too? Great. The trailers always put me off, but I wanted to be optimistic. Then yesterday they released a gameplay video with Agassi and McEnroe (both preorder bonuses). It was probably the best looking gameplay up until now... except McEnroe was playing right-handed. I know it's not that big of deal, something that can be fixed easily, but it's still huge for someone who loves details in these kind of games. Obviously there was a shitstorm and they had to stealth remove the video a few minutes later, finally acknowledging the mistake a few moments ago while I was typing this.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
To get around licensing issues these games could instead have a well featured create a player mode and let the community share thier creations. Seems to work fine without legal issues for other games.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread I just ordered Virtua Tennis 3 at Amazon for the high (but fair) price of 0.50€.

I always kept forgetting about this, I played the demo a lot back then and it's imo one of the best games, not just "tennis games" ever made. The graphics and gameplay were breathtaking back then and I'm sure they still hold up.

As for why I didn't buy it back then? Well, I had the demo so I didn't really need it, but now I'm more into collecting games I like so thanks for the reminder OP.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks to this thread I just ordered Virtua Tennis 3 at Amazon for the high (but fair) price of 0.50€.

I always kept forgetting about this, I played the demo a lot back then and it's imo one of the best games, not just "tennis games" ever made. The graphics and gameplay were breathtaking back then and I'm sure they still hold up.

As for why I didn't buy it back then? Well, I had the demo so I didn't really need it, but now I'm more into collecting games I like so thanks for the reminder OP.

VT3 was 1080p60fps on 360 which is why it looked so good. Make sure you pick Tommy Haas, his backhand swing animation is pure sex in that game.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing a Tennis game that was so inaccessible to newcomers like myself that I couldn't even get past the fucking tutorial.

Smash Court Tennis 3 on Xbox 360 or something? Man that game was terrible.

Sega All stars Tennis was fucking amazing though, and as someone who has never played a console Mario Tennis title, I am mad excited for the new one.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I still remember playing Wii Sports and having this exact same thought OP. I haven't tried Mario Tennis but the tennis game on the DC was the last realistic one that I played and it was great. I'd even settle for a remaster.
1Jv03bI.gif

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Good point, and also thanks for letting me know about the upcoming game on the 22nd! Tennis games can be a ton of fun.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
My friend loved playing top spin on the PS3 with the move controllers and I spent a ton of time on Virtua tennis on the vita. I really hope TWT is good cuz me and my buddy have been waiting for a nextgen tennis game.

Also the lack of roddick on these post, he was my favorite :/

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Here's hoping then :)

You and me both, my friend.

Thanks to everyone who recommended Mario Tennis Ace, it looks promising, and I am glad to see many people looking forward to it. The last game was surely lackluster, so I hope that you can guys have a deeper and better experience this time around.

Sadly, I don't own a Switch

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
I think that the market is cyclical. Think about the fact that WWII games went out of favor in favor of "modern" themed shooters. Now they are coming back. Same with "mascot" platformers. They are coming back after a long absence. In both of those examples, developers have been rewarded because gamers missed them and wanted those types of games back. Depending on how these new tennis games perform will dictate whether or not there is a demand.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I think that the market is cyclical. Think about the fact that WWII games went out of favor in favor of "modern" themed shooters. Now they are coming back. Same with "mascot" platformers. They are coming back after a long absence. In both of those examples, developers have been rewarded because gamers missed them and wanted those types of games back. Depending on how these new tennis games perform will dictate whether or not there is a demand.

I really hope so there is a market for tennis games again, as I am almost sure that there is an audience for it. You pointed out some good examples. I am just hoping that Tennis World Tour delivers.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it. Tennis isn't exactly a niche sport even if it's not on the level of football, basketball, etc. It's not like there have been tennis games that just aren't very good, the two releasing this month are the first tennis sims on PS4, yet there have been Rugby games, Cycling games, Cricket games, even Handball games. I really hope Tennis World Tour is at least decent or even if it's not sells well enough for a bigger publisher to think about getting back into the tennis game.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
I really hope so there is a market for tennis games again, as I am almost sure that there is an audience for it. You pointed out some good examples. I am just hoping that Tennis World Tour delivers.

Me too. I love tennis games. I am old enough to have owned a Magnavox Odyssey, where every game was basically a riff on Pong -- which is basically tennis. If you want to scratch an itch for tennis, you can get the PS2 version of Hot Shots Tennis for PS4. They up-rezed it and added trophies. I play it all the time and it is a crazy amount of fun.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Tennis World Tour comes out this month. Doesn't it?

I mean it doesn't look incredible presentation wise, but hopefully gameplay is great and they keep growing the roster with DLC and updates since liscensing ATP/WTP players is really tough.

Hopefully both Mario Tennis and TWT are awesome. I do believe it's the lack of marketing and licensing, the reason tennis games haven't performed better in the past. They are always like stealth releases.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I don't get it. Tennis isn't exactly a niche sport even if it's not on the level of football, basketball, etc. It's not like there have been tennis games that just aren't very good, the two releasing this month are the first tennis sims on PS4, yet there have been Rugby games, Cycling games, Cricket games, even Handball games. I really hope Tennis World Tour is at least decent or even if it's not sells well enough for a bigger publisher to think about getting back into the tennis game.

That was my understanding too. I was kinda surprised by some posts here. I know that a lot of people are at least familiar with major names and major tournaments.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Tennis World Tour comes out this month. Doesn't it?

I mean it doesn't look incredible presentation wise, but hopefully gameplay is great and they keep growing the roster with DLC and updates since liscensing ATP/WTP players is really tough.

Hopefully both Mario Tennis and TWT are awesome. I do believe it's the lack of marketing and licensing, the reason tennis games haven't performed better in the past. They are always like stealth releases.

It is coming out on May 22.

I guess you're right, though. Apparently, the last two Top Spin games struggled with sales, especially 4, which is why they had to shelf it. On the other hand, both games reviewed really well.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Me too. I love tennis games. I am old enough to have owned a Magnavox Odyssey, where every game was basically a riff on Pong -- which is basically tennis. If you want to scratch an itch for tennis, you can get the PS2 version of Hot Shots Tennis for PS4. They up-rezed it and added trophies. I play it all the time and it is a crazy amount of fun.

I am not familiar with Hot Shots actually. I am gonna check it out, thanks.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Are any of the top spin games BC enhanced on Xbox one X? I loved that series except that clay played faster than grass in the first one.