• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
If they ever reset it back, I hope they do away with the whole "humans hate them", because, why would humans be okay with Spiderman / Cp. America / FF, but not mutants?

Why? Because they gave you some bullshit excuse to why they have powers?

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
If they ever reset it back, I hope they do away with the whole "humans hate them", because, why would humans be okay with Spiderman / Cp. America / FF, but not mutants?

because hate is irrational I guess

also, don't people hate spiderman in some stories?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Because mutants can reproduce and make more of themselves easily whereas Captain America or Iron Man can't.

This isn't just a hypothetical- in at least two potential timelines we saw (AoA, Cable's future) mutants ended up out breeding humanity and either enslaving them, or relegating them to a permanent underclass, i.e. Jim Crow. So the fear is legitimate- if specific (evil) mutants end up gaining outsized influence humanity is in a bad spot.

That aside, it is impossible to tell when or where mutant powers might decide to manifest. The X-books have run several storylines where kids suddenly and randomly begin manifesting abilities lethal to humans around them that they can't control. This again isn't something possible with Spiderman, Black Knight, or even the Eternals. Humanity is TERRIFIED of that possibility and this was explored during Rosenberg's run when a cure was developed and parents rushed to immunize their children.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
We live in 2022. If having superpowers would be something that causes humans to hate someone, they'd hate all of them, except the dude who very clearly just built himself a iron suit.

Cap. America is a science experiment? That's what they want you to think, only reason you don't have 300 young kids with his genes is because we lucked out, and the dude is American Jesus from the 40's or something, and is gonna die a virgin.

Same logic for every other superhero, especially any of those from outer space kinds. Space Vikings are coming for our stuff, that's the whole point of being a Viking.

Also, if anyone can have a mutant kid, you're not a lowly homo sapiens, you're a temporarily inconvenienced parent of a Omega Class mutant, keep living that dream (isn't that how it works with millionaires?).

And it got boring, quite frankly. I like the current setting, where it makes sense for humans to be very distrustful of mutants, because they're their own nation, they're not your family, they're the dudes that are going to come and take your kids away.

I get that they were useful to tell stories of discrimination, but for me, making Cap. America black, and show what that would mean, is much better. IMO.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
We live in 2022. If having superpowers would be something that causes humans to hate someone, they'd hate all of them, except the dude who very clearly just built himself a iron suit.

Cap. America is a science experiment? That's what they want you to think, only reason you don't have 300 young kids with his genes is because we lucked out, and the dude is American Jesus from the 40's or something, and is gonna die a virgin.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Same logic for every other superhero, especially any of those from outer space kinds. Space Vikings are coming for our stuff, that's the whole point of being a Viking.

Same. What do you mean?

Also, if anyone can have a mutant kid, you're not a lowly homo sapiens, you're a temporarily inconvenienced parent of a Omega Class mutant, keep living that dream (isn't that how it works with millionaires?).

Ok I can rock with this. Sure, there may be some value in "breeding" children in hopes to having an omega lol. Felt like I have seen this already during my decades reading this mess.

And it got boring, quite frankly. I like the current setting, where it makes sense for humans to be very distrustful of mutants, because they're their own nation, they're not your family, they're the dudes that are going to come and take your kids away.

Yes. This makes the most sense. For better or worse, this was happening in FF with Sue Storm when Franklin was "rebelling" (Accepting his mutantdom and she didn't like it.).

I get that they were useful to tell stories of discrimination, but for me, making Cap. America black, and show what that would mean, is much better. IMO.

I agree with this. It's really hate fatigue if you ask me. 616 humans have a lot of hate in their heart lolol

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Same. What do you mean?

I'm saying that once mutants were around, Cap. America being the result of a science experiment would become "what they want you to think", and people who hate mutants, would hate him too, because he's just another mutant, it's just that the government doesn't want you to know that.

And Asgardians are just these terrifying aliens, that actually helped kill and enslave a very considerable amount of people. And who could live on Earth very easily, maybe get back to their old ways...

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that once mutants were around, Cap. America being the result of a science experiment would become "what they want you to think", and people who hate mutants, would hate him too, because he's just another mutant, it's just that the government doesn't want you to know that.

And Asgardians are just these terrifying aliens, that actually helped kill and enslave a very considerable amount of people. And who could live on Earth very easily, maybe get back to their old ways...

I see. You're saying this is the paranoia narrative. Ok. Sure I'm not putting that passed 616 humans.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

A Skyfather has the power to turn earth to a post apocalyptic landscape

Coiote

Oct 25, 2017
man, mutants can't get a rest. Orchis, Rogue AIs, Moira and now the Eternals. Maybe even the Avengers again. It feels a bit too much :(

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
man, mutants can't get a rest. Orchis, Rogue AIs, Moira and now the Eternals. Maybe even the Avengers again. It feels a bit too much :(

Well yes, but that's the deal. There's always another war and another antagonist.

Krakoa and Arakko got hit HARD this time though, holy hell. Absolute carnage on mars. Zuras and the prime eternals on his level were in theory supposed to be threats on par with Zeus and Odin but this is the first time we've seen a glimpse of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers being put in as a neutral party is a direction I like for them. We'll see what ends up happening. Holy fuck Arakko got bodied

Coiote

Oct 25, 2017
Well yes, but that's the deal. There's always another war and another antagonist.

Krakoa and Arakko got hit HARD this time though, holy hell. Absolute carnage on mars. Zuras and the prime eternals on his level were in theory supposed to be threats on par with Zeus and Odin but this is the first time we've seen a glimpse of that.
It's not just another Antogonist though, every other one is still there. I actually forgot the Children of the Vault too.

Well, Is Magneto dead for real too? Where was Isca?

Avengers being put in as a neutral party is a direction I like for them. We'll see what ends up happening. Holy fuck Arakko got bodied
Yeah, the planet full of people who have, for 10,000 years, done nothing but say "THAT ALL YOU GOT?"

They got bloodied by a surprise attack, but I really want to see what happens when the salty runback kicks in. Like for example: if Isca takes a leading role and does not immediately back down or switch sides when running into Eternals, shit is about to go down.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's not just another Antogonist though, every other one is still there. I actually forgot the Children of the Vault too.

Well, Is Magneto dead for real too? Where was Isca?

This is establishing another threat- there will always be new ones just when you got comfortable thinking you knew what was out there.

The eternals as a problem are much worse than Orchis or even potentially AI. As long as the planet exists they will potentially keep coming back. And Uranos and the Hex seem ridiculously overpowered.

As for the first you mentioned: probably not. He deleted his backup, so "dead is dead" for him. As for the second, either she is occupied fighting the remainder of Uranos' arsenal or switched sides again. I'm leaning towards the latter given we know from solicits something happens that the Great Ring votes to expel her in a few issues.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Jesus

at least they're not pretending that 'all sides have a point' or whatever, live Civil War or AvX or IvX

Yup. That's a clear distinction between those events and this one. The bending over backwards to "both sides" things in IVX was a waste of everyone's time.

Though reading between the lines a bit, there's a bigger problem. The narrator at the opening and closing is CLEARLY the Celestial God that Ajak and Sinister end up creating in the future.

That thing seems to be of the opinion that everyone involved is in the wrong, and Earth's intelligent species only understand violence and aren't worth sparing.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah I really like it. Eternals are clearly the bad guys here

Yup. And unfortunately for most of them, they can't simply "change their minds." the anti-deviant bias is hard coded into them from creation, though the extent to which it is expressed varies by individual.

They'll keep coming indefinitely until that programming is changed. The Inhumans...weren't this kind of problem.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Uranus has been established in Gillen's Eternals as absurdly powerful even for Prime Eternal standard. They needed almost all their race just to stop him. Gillen has described him as "The Morgoth to Thanos' Sauron".

Arakko has a problem of cosmic magnitude.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
If we're supposed to feel sympathetic for the humans whining about the mutants not resurrecting their loved ones, it's undermined by those same humans cheering the Eternals committing genocide on the mutants.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Hello, long time xmen fan but not really a comic reader, when I heard about this huge Xmen new status quo I figured I should check it out. My X-men fandom came from the 90s cartoon, read some 90s xmen comics, covered some of major 80s events, movies, games and so on. Plus I kind of have a brief knowledge of some post 2000 X-men events. So now that the entire Hickman run is on Unlimited I have been reading through all of it over the last few months, using a reading guide which is helpful to stay with one comic for a few issues as they do these mini arcs. I almost done, got like 10 more issues before the end of inferno.

Man it's been a really great fascinating read and now reading through some of the posts here I kind of wish I was reading with you, so much incite I didn't have. But it's fun reading predictions and reactions knowing what is going to happen.

The premise is incredible Hox and Pox were such great reads, what a setup for the future. The different x books have all had their moments but Marauders, Hellions, SWORD and the random ass X-men (shout out to the vault issue) have been really great. Excalibur is the one that confuses the hell out of me, I don't know what's happening half the time but there are dragons and magic and crazy shit so ok…

X of Swords was fun but a bit of a let down as the first big event. The twist that it was a joke tournament was funny but kind of a bummer. It ended in spectacular fashion though, and my favorite part was when Cyclops and Jean told the council to fuck off, they are the X-Men and Charles was like hell yeah you are, goosebumps.

Hellfire Gala was great, especially since it lead to the incredible Trial of Magneto. Plus Way of X was around that time and that was a brilliant comic. The end of SWORD was so a shocker and I can't wait to see what happens there.

Now one critique I have is I came to this cause it was the new era for the X-Men but for most of this the X-Men weren't even a set team. It's really a new era for mutants, this is about all mutants and when they say ALL mutants it's ALL mutants. I am dumbfounded at how they have brought in basically everyone from X-men history, it's remarkable. But like I said I'm a 90s guy and I miss having the X-Men be the focus. It wasn't until the new team formed where they actually felt like a team that would go on missions together and even then it isn't exactly the A-team or even B-team. Also the core premise of X-men is a team of mutants that defend those who hate them, that's kind of lost here though they definetly do fight cosmic threats to humanity.

Still it's been a blast to see mutant kind get so fleshed out. I love that it's also all kind of morally ambiguous. There are times I feel slimy for rooting for some of our "heroes". There is a lot of grey area with the actions of mutants, I love the reaction by those on the outside.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Why are humans okay with people with some skin colors but not others? Racism is supposed to be stupid.

Oct 29, 2017
Stopped reading comics around the end of last year and I'm coming back now, reading the stuff that I care in the Krakoa era. Finished Inferno and the on goings that i was reading (just Hellions and S.W.O.R.D). I'm catching up on the new X-Men and already read the first issues of Immortal X-men and X-Men Red.

Gotta say I was a bit disappointed with Hickman just leaving but Gillen and Ewing are so good, Immortal X-men and X-men Red first issues were fantastic...

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
If we're supposed to feel sympathetic for the humans whining about the mutants not resurrecting their loved ones, it's undermined by those same humans cheering the Eternals committing genocide on the mutants.

We are not supposed to feel sympathetic. Its blatant hypocrisy. Humans have (and continue to) massacre or enslave mutants en masse, but when mutants figure out a way to restore those dead humanity immediately demands a place in line.

The cheering demonstrates this- its just spite and grievance. If humanity can't have it then wipe it off the face of the planet.

Xavier and Forge have some kind of crazy doomsday weapon prepped though, so the retaliation for this is going to be *severe*.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Quick questions about Arakko if anyone has the answers:

1. Chances of Tarn or Vulcan being resurrected in case Krakoa needs more help against the Eternals?

2. With Arakko having omega-level mutants such as Idyll (a precog, not sure how she wouldn't see the war coming), Lactuca (knows the location of everything or something like that), Ora who can erase anyone from existence by looking at them, and Legion, are we to believe that any combination of the above are going to be killed within that one hour by Uranos? Of course there is Isca, too, but more curious about the aforementioned.

3. Has any of the Arakko mutants ever been resurrected? We often see mutants tied to the X-Men resurrected, but curious to know if a mutant like Lactuca would be resurrected given the powerset would be so useful to Krakoa in the future.

4. With the attack on Arakko and many of it's mutants, what are the chances of Apoc & Genesis or others from the X of Swords that didn't stick around coming back to get revenge for their brothers and sisters?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's up with amputee characters getting resurrected with their limbs still missing? Both Forge and Mirage (probably others too). Are they trying to avoid some ableist implications or something? Seems kind of shitty to leave them with the prosthetics when they have a chance to have their original limbs back, something nobody in real life will ever get.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
reading up on this Uranos guy and he's essentially Super Thanos huh, should I read the recent Eternals books?

For like the first time ever the Avengers don't come off looking like shit when crossing over with mutant issues, truly a new day for Marvel.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
reading up on this Uranos guy and he's essentially Super Thanos huh, should I read the recent Eternals books?

For like the first time ever the Avengers don't come off looking like shit when crossing over with mutant issues, truly a new day for Marvel.
Because they're not fighting mutants they're not suddenly written to be cops and actually in character

And yes the Eternals Gillen is great including the one offs

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's fucking wild. And yeah the recent Eternals run is real good and sets up most of this.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
I don't know much about Eternals so I have to ask, what are the odds for the X-men ? Seeing that as always Avengers are going to f*** it up badly. >.>

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
What's up with amputee characters getting resurrected with their limbs still missing? Both Forge and Mirage (probably others too). Are they trying to avoid some ableist implications or something? Seems kind of shitty to leave them with the prosthetics when they have a chance to have their original limbs back, something nobody in real life will ever get.
It's their choice. Some like Xavier remove their disabilities, other like Mirage or Cable or Wiz Kid choose to keep them.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Quick questions about Arakko if anyone has the answers:

4. With the attack on Arakko and many of it's mutants, what are the chances of Apoc & Genesis or others from the X of Swords that didn't stick around coming back to get revenge for their brothers and sisters?

I don't think the -A- Squad is supposed to return until the Children of the Vault make their move. But if anything was going to speed up their return it would be this.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Magneto made a point to refuse and iirc storm too but they're definitely coming back

Have a feeling there will be unconcensual (i love comics) resurrection or some Arrako and mutants survived, i mean we didn't see Brand died

Don't forget the White Sword from the X-Of-Swords crossover might still be alive as well (though I think he might be on Amenth still?), and he's capable of mass resurrections (though he usually forces them to be conscripts).