• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Free Comic Book day issue promoting Judgment Day came out. It's pretty minimal. But the last page is a shocker.

Moira appears to be like an Omega Sentinel now. She apprehends Mary Jane Watson-who has a Hellfire Gala invite-and insinuates that she will take over MJs body to infiltrate Krakoa. There is also a premonition of the Avengers and X-Men fighting "doing it right this time" where there are some brutal kills. Magneto wraps Cap's shield around his head and crushes it. Carol snaps Rogue's neck.
moira-xx.jpg

To the shock of nobody, this plot is continuing in a Non-X title.

ASM2022009_cov.jpg

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9

ZEB WELLS (W) • PATRICK GLEASON (A) • COVER BY JOHN ROMITA JR.

HELLFIRE GALA TIE-IN!

• Something happens at the Hellfire Gala that sends Spider-Man and WOLVERINE on a dangerous mission all over creation!

• That's right — the best duo in comics is back, but who are they fighting, and what (or who) are they fighting for? NO SPOILERS HERE!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Also the storybook style sections remind me of Kitty's story to little Illyana back in the days. And then when it called back to her time as a child in Limbo, it broke my heart.

Oct 8, 2019
All three comics were excellent, glad to see that Vulcan is finally starting to get a starring role, the stuff with Brand was good, I have always been a huge fan of Magik so New Mutants was of course great, and Exodus is now doing stuff instead of just sitting down at the council or telling stories about the Scarlet Witch.

So thing with Destiny at the end of Immortal X-Men #2, is that hinting at something I should be aware of?

Oh and I think I must've missed an issue of something, but since when is this Mutant Afterlife that Wanda made a thing?

At the end of Trial of Magneto its revealed that Wanda had learned about mutant resurrection and figured out away to resurrect mutants who died before they started to catalog mutant minds this makes Krakoa forgive her for M-Day.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All three comics were excellent
Poor Wolverine, the most neglected of characters. What'll he do if nobody reads his three current ongoings?

To the shock of nobody, this plot is continuing in a Non-X title.

ASM2022009_cov.jpg

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9

ZEB WELLS (W) • PATRICK GLEASON (A) • COVER BY JOHN ROMITA JR.

HELLFIRE GALA TIE-IN!

• Something happens at the Hellfire Gala that sends Spider-Man and WOLVERINE on a dangerous mission all over creation!

• That's right — the best duo in comics is back, but who are they fighting, and what (or who) are they fighting for? NO SPOILERS HERE!
Even more unsurprisingly, it'll presumably be a one-and-done, since the next issue is an AXE tie-in.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Damn forgot X-Force was back,

Xmen Red was great, Storm MVP, curious what they are going to do with Vulcan and Brand needs to get brought down a peg (RIP Cable)
New Mutants - Magik and Magdalene should be fun, excited to see where that goes
Wolverine - Deadpool was funny, interesting overall plot even though I don't care about Wolverine that much
Immortal - Damn they weren't fucking around with Selene lol I hope they continue to use hope (heh) more, it's nice to see other characters get focus.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
How did Hope get around the rule of not killing another mutant? I thought that was one of their laws.
Edit: oh I was wrong. It's only kill no man.

Goddamn she was badass in this issue. Talk about a plan.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I own all of HoX/PoX and issues 1-7 of Hickman's X-Men run. That's when the local COVID-19 lockdowns started and my local comic shop shut down for a couple of months, effectively ending my early engagement. I also got Marauders 1-8 in that time, but no other series.

Looking to start back up. And honestly Marvel Unlimited is a great service, I did my trial but didn't find myself engaging enough to continue forward since I didn't want to read anything except for Hickman X-Men. I admittedly didn't get too far toward catching up as I retread HoXPoX and the other issues I had already ready, and the trial was only a week. I maybe got 5 extra issues in, so I think I was right up to the beginning of X of Swords.

That said, how highly do folks in here recommend going the full Dawn/Reign of X (that covers not just Hickman's own written content but the full breadth of this era of X-Men) versus just Hickman's mainline series? I absolutely love the premise and early execution of this series, but aside from Marauders, I hadn't paid any attention to anything else.

I'm going to start buying collected versions of this series via the Marvel Comics app and trying to actually keep up once I get fully caught up — at least at the pace that collected editions come out, not quite on a singles basis. Just wondering if folks in here prefer the comprehensive "Dawn of X" route or think it's better to just go the Hickman-core-series route (and yes I am aware that he exited the title a while back and Duggan has taken over on the mainline title). I will be grabbing collected events like X of Swords, Hellfire Gala, and Inferno as I catch up, so I will be reading the other title tie-ins that way. But I'm not sure if people feel that the quality of the overall family of comics is good enough to commit that much. I know people had some lukewarm opinions on some series early on, but not sure if that ended up sticking as time went on.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That said, how highly do folks in here recommend going the full Dawn/Reign of X (that covers not just Hickman's own written content but the full breadth of this era of X-Men) versus just Hickman's mainline series? I absolutely love the premise and early execution of this series, but aside from Marauders, I hadn't paid any attention to anything else.

Honestly it doesn't really make much sense to only read Hickman's Xmen series and nothing else, because up until maybe issue #15 or so when X of swords hit, X-men was an anthology series of mostly disconnected stories with plotlines that were followed up on in other books. It wasn't meant to be read in a vacuum.

Personally I felt everything with the exception of Fallen Angels was at least worth reading. Hellions was a standout for me though.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't the biggest Excalibur fan but considering the only bad series is Fallen Angels i say the Of X trades are worth jt

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly it doesn't really make much sense to only read Hickman's Xmen series and nothing else, because up until maybe issue #15 or so when X of swords hit, X-men was an anthology series of mostly disconnected stories with plotlines that were followed up on in other books. It wasn't meant to be read in a vacuum.

Personally I felt everything with the exception of Fallen Angels was at least worth reading. Hellions was a standout for me though.

I wasn't the biggest Excalibur fan but considering the only bad series is Fallen Angels i say the Of X trades are worth jt

Thanks for the feedback — I think I will go the comprehensive route, then!

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will say most everything past X of Swords starts to spin its wheels. It's not necessarily bad (and some titles- like Hellions- continued to be amazing), but I think it's a downgrade to what the launches were.
I feel like Dawn of X can also be accused of a degree of wheel-spinning in retrospect, but Reign definitely felt like every writer was holding their breath for the Hellfire Gala and Inferno. I don't think Hickman deliberately said "the only major developments can happen in my titles", but it really gave off that impression.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed Legion of X. We finally see Ora Serrata. I love the Arakki mindset on the worship of gods. I'm rather loving getting to expand upon Arakki culture here and in X-men Red.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Thanks for the feedback — I think I will go the comprehensive route, then!
Just adding my voice to the topic. Until X of Swords, except for fallen angels and the non Hickman New mutants stories, the other books add to the general Krakoan world and are mostly a good read. After that, things start to unfold more individually. Sword is kinda important due to the end of X of Swords and Hellfire Gala (and it is a good comic) and X-Force / Wolverine have some of their plots continued in X Lives of Wolverine, but beyond that X-Men and Inferno are the books that continue the HoX / PoX threads.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I really enjoyed Legion of X. We finally see Ora Serrata. I love the Arakki mindset on the worship of gods. I'm rather loving getting to expand upon Arakki culture here and in X-men Red.

Going to echo that.

There's so much potential here I'm not sure how anyone could ever go back to the pre HOX/POX "mansion era" of these books. Or even want to.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
At the end of Trial of Magneto its revealed that Wanda had learned about mutant resurrection and figured out away to resurrect mutants who died before they started to catalog mutant minds this makes Krakoa forgive her for M-Day.

Which is great, because now everyone is excited to bring back long-dead characters like John Proudstar, Petra, and Sway.

And..hey, Bishop? Who were those two guys you were in the XSE with? Malcolm? Randall? Should be simple to bring THOSE guys back, right?

Bishop:

giphy.gif

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Which is great, because now everyone is excited to bring back long-dead characters like John Proudstar, Petra, and Sway.

And..hey, Bishop? Who were those two guys you were in the XSE with? Malcolm? Randall? Should be simple to bring THOSE guys back, right?

Bishop:

giphy.gif
Or his sister for that matter.

Though I doubt we are getting Trevor Fitzroy back either.

I'm sure Emma has made sure he is at the very bottom of the Resurrection queue.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Didn't they retcon Fitzroy being evil into the fault of Layla Miller? He was apparently perfectly fine before that.
Yeah. They retconned Layla Miller's powers to be Ressurection, except it's in perfect and the person loses all morality when they come back.

Still, he killed Emma's students, you don't come back from that.

Oct 25, 2017
this current run is just losing me. i feel like there was something more cohesive early on in this era but it's starting to feel more scattered. may just stop weeklies and switch to trades

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
this current run is just losing me. i feel like there was something more cohesive early on in this era but it's starting to feel more scattered. may just stop weeklies and switch to trades
Yeah, the other writers wanting to spend a few more years in "this era" of the X-Men was obviously a huge mistake the moment it was announced that they voted to do that and that Hickman was moving on instead of actually staying to write the last third of his run. I can't believe we missed out on a whole arc of Hickman's run for stuff like.... a second Hellfire Gala. I dropped every book except for Duggan's X-Men, which is fine, but it's not nearly as satisfying as the books were last year.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the other writers wanting to spend a few more years in "this era" of the X-Men was obviously a huge mistake the moment it was announced that they voted to do that and that Hickman was moving on instead of actually staying to write the last third of his run. I can't believe we missed out on a whole arc of Hickman's run for stuff like.... a second Hellfire Gala. I dropped every book except for Duggan's X-Men, which is fine, but it's not nearly as satisfying as the books were last year.
Oddly, I feel the opposite - Reign of X felt constrained by Hickman's presence, like the ongoings were sandboxed away from anything that would potentially affect the status quo. The only real exception was that X-Men did some setup for Orchis.

Destiny of X feels like a breath of fresh air in comparison - apart from Percy and Duggan, each writer is breaking new ground rather than retreading. Immortal X-Men is doing fun things with the status quo, X-Men Red is telling us all about Arakko, Marauders is doing a brand new Shi'ar story, Knights is dealing with a conquered hostile Otherworld, Legion is giving us more of Arakko and new deity lore.
X-Men is still running monster-of-the-week stories, which is a bit dull in comparison, but it's also doing background setup for the second Hellfire Gala, which will lead into the massive Eternals event.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
The line had been spinning its wheels since X of Swords and it's finally moving forward

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men Red continues to be incredible. This and Immortal on their own could easily carry the whole line.

Wolverine also came out today.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna guess that Roberto didn't hand Magneto the win with what he did. It's going to later be clarified, I bet, that Isca's investment in Tarn was preventing him from losing to anyone who would outright kill him.

Because Isca can't lose. Meaning she can't lose Tarn.

This would also create a neat weakness for Isca, actually. Pit her power against itself and it shuts down until the paradox is resolved.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna guess that Roberto didn't hand Magneto the win with what he did. It's going to later be clarified, I bet, that Isca's investment in Tarn was preventing him from losing to anyone who would outright kill him.

This would also create a neat weakness for Isca, actually. Pit her power against itself and it shuts down until the paradox is resolved.
That always seemed like an obvious weakness for someone whose power is literally not losing.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
That always seemed like an obvious weakness for someone whose power is literally not losing.
It's an easy enough one to resolve if she's willing to do what's necessary to swiftly resolve the paradox.

Plus I'm guessing context makes a difference. You couldn't pull this manuever on her in a war, for example. But placing bets on the outcome of challenges in the Circle Perilous is A Thing, so she couldn't decline the bet.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Ah, this explanation makes a ton of sense.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's more straightforward to look at it as Isca's power forcing her to scream out, which distracted Tarn so he didn't see the helmet being moved over his head.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think it's more straightforward to look at it as Isca's power forcing her to scream out, which distracted Tarn so he didn't see the helmet being moved over his head.

Read the issue again, that doesn't line up.

Isca's outburst was little more than "some commotion in the stands" and Tarn didn't even acknowledge it before accepting Magneto's challenge.

Tarn was stalling for time until his powers came back from what Gabriel did to him, and accepted at the point he could feel them again.

He didn't bother acknowledging the Helmet because its not even close to being a weapon, he was arrogant, overconfident, and assumed he'd be able to dust Magneto with a thought.

That Magneto's helmet might be an anti psychic weapon didn't occur to him. Why would it? Even those of us who have been reading Xmen since the 90s would struggle to think of Magneto ever using it that way.

I think Adder's explanation makes a lot more sense. Isca was EXTREMELY upset at the prospect of Tarn losing to Magneto, called out that she had fought beside him for 1000 years and no one knew him better than she did. If there isn't a romantic connection between the two, there's something damned close. "losing" him isn't something her powers would generally accept.

Tarn is called out as being so hated by everyone that whoever killed him would be a hero to the entire planet. The amount of challengers he's had over a thousand years would be an absolutely staggering number. That "outside interference" was saving him here is absolutely worth considering.

That arena is usually a life-or-death affair, meaning Tarn would be spared from any defeat that would kill him. His sole loss (that we know of) was to Storm who explicitly would not have killed him, so Isca's powers wouldn't have come into play.

Roberto likely wasn't aware of the relationship between the two- he just saw an opportunity to leverage her abilities into a win. Whether the bet explicitly caused the loss or simply short circuited her powers into a no-win situation is probably immaterial. They were definitely involved somehow and the concept that 'yelling' from the stands (which Tarn did not appear to hear or care about) was the deciding factor doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Immortal 3 was excellent. Happy Pride- here's an issue about the most badass queer ladies in the universe. That ending was a gut punch though.

I really loved x-men 12 too. Nice wrap on the past year. The Dr. Stasis revelation is very very interesting.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm out of the loop...is this a matter of Sinister simply being too fabulous for the rest of the poseurs on the Quiet Council to handle, or is this an issue of Sinister just being overtly evil and conspiratorial?

It's the second one, to a pretty wild degree.

But man, Immortal X-Men is such a good series so far. X-Men Red and Legion of X as well. Spurrier, Gillen, and Ewing are really delivering.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I'm out of the loop...is this a matter of Sinister simply being too fabulous for the rest of the poseurs on the Quiet Council to handle, or is this an issue of Sinister just being overtly evil and conspiratorial?
Sinister is literally how every possibly future will go bad. And then reset. So there is no future.

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
Great set of comics. It was good to see Destiny and Mystique get more depth as a couple. Also the return of Rightclops.

It's also interesting how Immortal X-Men #1 has Destiny telling Sinister that they should be on the same side, but issue #3 has them waging this silent war that neither one can openly acknowledge is happening in the background.