• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all sorry if this is a crusty question at this point but I just got 3 months of Marvel Unlimited trial with Game Pass and trying to catch up on some X-men. I read HoX/PoX as it was coming out but didn't keep up with the ongoings that spun out of it. What are the highlights of the last couple years? I'm gonna read Hickman's 2019-2021 X-men, but what else from this post-HoX/PoX is worth picking up? Also is there any wacky reading order if there were any crossovers I need to be aware of? Marvel Unlimited links would be awesome but I can look stuff up. Just a link to a read order would be cool too, whatever ya got, thanks in advance

Reposting my suggested abbreviated order here, since it's a lot to get through. It covers the absolute barebone basics to follow the plot, but of course if you like the premise of a series it's always great to follow through on it.

Off the top of my head, try this as an abbreviated run:

- House of X + Powers of X #1-6 (start with HoX 1 and follow the reading guide at the back)
- X-Men #1-15
- First three issues of X-Force
- First issue of Excalibur, Marauders, Hellions and X-Factor
- X of Swords
- X-Men #16-21

- First issue of SWORD
- Planet-Size X-Men (one-shot)
- SWORD #6

- First issue of X-Men
- Way of X #1-5 and Onslaught Revelation
- Inferno

The bolded titles are directly relevant to the overarching plot, and the rest are optional, but helpful to familiarise yourself with the various teams/groups hanging around in the current run.
(Way of X is not strictly plot relevant, but it's short and generally fantastic.)

Reading every issue according to the reading order at the back is obviously the best way, but you're looking at two and a half years of weekly issues so it's really about whether you have the time for it.

Last edited:

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'd just go down the whole list in the order it shows at the end of each issue. Pretty much every series was/is good (yeah, except Fallen Angels which is garbage) and it's fun to see how they all wind in and out of each other.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Lives literally was a waste of time as anything but a Primer of how much shit Wolverine has tacked onto his backstory.

Death's is the pause button on the plot ideas brought up at the end of Inferno.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was wavering on continuing with weeklies after the combination of the Comixology clusterfuck and X Lives/Deaths being largely disappointing.

But dear god, Gillen is good. I'm so glad he's on a series that is clearly taking the driver's seat of the current era.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
The thing is, the series doesn't really have a flagship per se any more. Maybe Immortal X-Men will be that, but right now it's just a lot of team books with the occasional plot event.

Off the top of my head, try this as an abbreviated run:

- House of X + Powers of X #1-6 (start with HoX 1 and follow the reading guide at the back)
- X-Men #1-15
- First three issues of X-Force
- First issue of Excalibur, Marauders, Hellions and X-Factor
- X of Swords
- X-Men #16-21

- First issue of SWORD
- Planet-Size X-Men (one-shot)
- SWORD #6

- First issue of X-Men
- Way of X #1-5 and Onslaught Revelation
- Inferno

The bolded titles are directly relevant to the overarching plot, and the rest are optional, but helpful to familiarise yourself with the various teams/groups hanging around in the current run.
(Way of X is not strictly plot relevant, but it's short and generally fantastic.)
There are other issues of X-Men 2020 that I would recomend reading for the Orchis and maybe the Captain Krakoa stuff (and they are quite ok to read). X Deaths is quite essential as well due to the Moira X plot. And now Immortal Xmen 1.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really like Gillen's writing for Marvel
im-sorry-what-what.gif

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I like hellfire gala because it gives us new visual iterations on our favorite heroes. I'm totally down for more excuses to do that more regularly.

I loved Immortal X-Men. This is why you keep ruthless villains on the council. Charles and his ilk would be too ethical to imagine let alone implement something like this. God bless Nathaniel Essex. Destiny of X feels like it's off to a great start.

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
Immortal X-Men makes me feel much better about the post-Hickman era. It's fun seeing the role Destiny plays in contrast to different characters, and it's always good to see things unravel for Sinister. His mechanism for knowing the future is clever, and I didn't see it coming. This was a really good time, and one of the best starting issues for any of the recent x-books.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Immortal X-Men makes me feel much better about the post-Hickman era. It's fun seeing the role Destiny plays in contrast to different characters, and it's always good to see things unravel for Sinister. His mechanism for knowing the future is clever, and I didn't see it coming. This was a really good time, and one of the best starting issues for any of the recent x-books.

so you're saying it's Gillen Goodness?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I feel off the x stuff about a year ago but want to get caught up. I'm hearing about some stupid cross over with the eternals though? Makes me want to avoid. I hope this isn't another attempt like making in humans cool back in 2014 or whatever.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel off the x stuff about a year ago but want to get caught up. I'm hearing about some stupid cross over with the eternals though? Makes me want to avoid. I hope this isn't another attempt like making in humans cool back in 2014 or whatever.
I'm hyped for the crossover, personally. Eternals has been solid and I hope the fact that mutants are just castoffs from the creation of Eternals gets brought up at some point just to intensify the beef.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hyped for the crossover, personally. Eternals has been solid and I hope the fact that mutants are just castoffs from the creation of Eternals gets brought up at some point just to intensify the beef.
I need to catch up on the new eternals run. I'm so behind in my reading lists… glad to hear it's good though!

I hope that's handled well and not some dig at the x men again. Could lead to some fun implications though. I'll check it out when it hits unlimited!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I need to catch up on the new eternals run. I'm so behind in my reading lists… glad to hear it's good though!

I hope that's handled well and not some dig at the x men again. Could lead to some fun implications though. I'll check it out when it hits unlimited!
The premise is essentially the Eternals are feeling irrelevant because the Avengers are buddy buddy with the Celestials because they live inside one and the mutants are making moves so they're gonna lash out at everyone. The Eternals are about to fight just the Avengers in the next month or so before that bigger crossover.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
The premise is essentially the Eternals are feeling irrelevant because the Avengers are buddy buddy with the Celestials because they live inside one and the mutants are making moves so they're gonna lash out at everyone. The Eternals are about to fight just the Avengers in the next month or so before that bigger crossover.
This actually sounds cool. Way better than how it was briefly mentioned to me earlier. Thanks!

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really enjoyed Inferno, but skipped X Lives/Deaths of Wolverine. Does Immortal X-Men pick up any plot threads from those books or am I fine to jump in now? I'll probably read the former when it's collected, but I wasn't fussed about reading it weekly.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Inferno, but skipped X Lives/Deaths of Wolverine. Does Immortal X-Men pick up any plot threads from those books or am I fine to jump in now? I'll probably read the former when it's collected, but I wasn't fussed about reading it weekly.
So far Immortal X-Men is a direct sequel to Inferno, so feel free.

The X Lives/Deaths collection is due in May; based on how X Deaths ended, I don't expect its plot points to come up by then, at least in Immortal X-Men, but who knows if Percy plans to cover them in his books.
As for X Lives, it has no connection to the overall plot, it's just a Wolverine story picking up on an X-Force plot thread.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This actually sounds cool. Way better than how it was briefly mentioned to me earlier. Thanks!

Also, are the mutants classified as Deviants? Which... could actually be interesting to explore in terms of the excessive mutation hook. And if everyone is loving Immortal XMen, I have even more faith in Gillen to deliver a great crossover.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It was just Immortal X-Men that dropped today, right? For some reason the list at the back still has the dates of Marauders and X-Force Anual as today.

Also Immortal X-Men confirms how much I love Sinister.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God, Immortal X-Men was *chefs kiss*

So if I'm reading this correctly:

He uploads information into the Moira clone, kills it, then gets the future information from the clone?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Immortal X-Men was great - Gillen knocked it out of the park. Between this and his work on Eternals, I have high hopes for the crossover.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Okay Immortal X-Men was not everything I wanted. But was everything I needed!!!

Honestly while I absolutely think Hope should be on the Council, Selene deserves it too.

Especially since her reasoning was honestly perfect "My Coven is dead forever to make the External Gate, and you need someone who knows Magic."

I did love the Genosha argument too. Necrosha is one of my favorite stories as well so that helps.

Kick Colossus (or honestly Storm, she technically has divided loyalties right now considering her status) off the Council and give that seat to Hope.

Also if Selene sat at the Autumn table it would have a new Balance to it.

Originally it had the three most prevalent philosophies about what mutant kind should do: Domination, Coexistence and Survival:

Magneto, Professor X and -|A|-

Put Selene in Magneto's seat and you have a new balance. Past, Present, Future:

Black Priestess represents the Past, she's older than -|A|- and represents an Era of Swords and Sorcery, she's from the Hyborian age after all. Where the witch born would be viewed as Gods.

Professor X represents the Present. The current face of mutantkind. Where coexistence isn't off the table but the realization that mutantkind needs a stronger position first. Krakoa after all is partially his idea.

Destiny represents the Future. She's a mutant who shouldn't even be here if the original powers-that-be had their way. And as she even states in this comic, she doesn't see the future so much as she sees the possibilities. A perfect counter to the now revealed fact that "We always lose"

Heck, if Storm left the Summer table and was replaced by Hope it would work for balance as well there.

The Original table was Storm, Marvel Woman and Nightcrawler. The Heart, the Mind and the Soul of the X-Men and now all mutantkind.

Replace Storm with Hope and it changes somewhat. It becomes the Anima, the Conflict and the Faith.

Hope becomes the Anima, the very soul of mutantkind as the defacto leader of the Five and the literal mutant messiah (love how that means soooo much more now than back then)

Colossus becomes the Conflict. The literal embodiment of a mutants loyalty to Krakoa and there ties to other nations, families, etc.

Nightcrawler becomes the Faith. The understand and belief that we are more than the Anima and Conflict. That mutantkind is worth believing in despite it all.

Needless to say, I'm extremely interested in what comes next.

Also the ending revealed one thing. DON'T FUCK WITH SELENE!

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Man this was everything we needed. I was iffy in the future without Hickman but Kieron stepped right up to the plate. Phenomenal issue. The logistics of it are blowing my mind.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Okay Immortal X-Men was not everything I wanted. But was everything I needed!!!

Honestly while I absolutely think Hope should be on the Council, Selene deserves it too.

Especially since her reasoning was honestly perfect "My Coven is dead forever to make the External Gate, and you need someone who knows Magic."

I did love the Genosha argument too. Necrosha is one of my favorite stories as well so that helps.

Kick Colossus (or honestly Storm, she technically has divided loyalties right now considering her status) off the Council and give that seat to Hope.

Also if Selene sat at the Autumn table it would have a new Balance to it.

Originally it had the three most prevalent philosophies about what mutant kind should do: Domination, Coexistence and Survival:

Magneto, Professor X and -|A|-

Put Selene in Magneto's seat and you have a new balance. Past, Present, Future:

Black Priestess represents the Past, she's older than -|A|- and represents an Era of Swords and Sorcery, she's from the Hyborian age after all. Where the witch born would be viewed as Gods.

Professor X represents the Present. The current face of mutantkind. Where coexistence isn't off the table but the realization that mutantkind needs a stronger position first. Krakoa after all is partially his idea.

Destiny represents the Future. She's a mutant who shouldn't even be here if the original powers-that-be had their way. And as she even states in this comic, she doesn't see the future so much as she sees the possibilities. A perfect counter to the now revealed fact that "We always lose"

Heck, if Storm left the Summer table and was replaced by Hope it would work for balance as well there.

The Original table was Storm, Marvel Woman and Nightcrawler. The Heart, the Mind and the Soul of the X-Men and now all mutantkind.

Replace Storm with Hope and it changes somewhat. It becomes the Anima, the Conflict and the Faith.

Hope becomes the Anima, the very soul of mutantkind as the defacto leader of the Five and the literal mutant messiah (love how that means soooo much more now than back then)

Colossus becomes the Conflict. The literal embodiment of a mutants loyalty to Krakoa and there ties to other nations, families, etc.

Nightcrawler becomes the Faith. The understand and belief that we are more than the Anima and Conflict. That mutantkind is worth believing in despite it all.

Needless to say, I'm extremely interested in what comes next.

Also the ending revealed one thing. DON'T FUCK WITH SELENE!

What did Storm do?

Also correct me if I'm wrong but without Storm, there wouldn't be any black Mutants on the council right?

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She didn't do anything per se, but you can see where she currently stands in SWORD #6 and #8.

She doesn't really have divided loyalties at this point anyway, if anything she's more of a unifier.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but without Storm, there wouldn't be any black Mutants on the council right?
Correct, although there is still one red, two blue and one...whatever Sinister is. Grey?

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So far Immortal X-Men is a direct sequel to Inferno, so feel free.

The X Lives/Deaths collection is due in May; based on how X Deaths ended, I don't expect its plot points to come up by then, at least in Immortal X-Men, but who knows if Percy plans to cover them in his books.
As for X Lives, it has no connection to the overall plot, it's just a Wolverine story picking up on an X-Force plot thread.
Thanks, I'll read it now then.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on the third issues of all the post HoX/PoX ongoings and following the release order and I'm not entirely sure what's happening in any of these books if I'm being honest or why I should be invested in any if it. The last time I was invested in X-men comics prior to this was back after Schism and I felt like the status quo and setup for the two main ongoings was super strong and both of those books were excellent from the rip. With this one the storytelling all seems so random and I don't feel a major drive to any of it. Waiting for some kind of crisis or event to make it feel more propulsive. It's so weird how [major character] gets assassinated and everybody just brushes it off cuz resurrection is so norm lol

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
X Lives felt like a waste of time, and X Deaths was conceptually more interesting but still not great and ended with thud. But Immortal X-Men was damn good. Such a good ending.

I was thinking of taking a break from the X line after Inferno and Hickman's departure, but Immortal has me back in.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Emma mindjacked him to help get her out of some trouble and caught a look at his motivation and the kind of person he is. It's a really nice moment.

This took place when she was kind of evil and before she became fully good based on Spidey wearing the black suit right? If so then I guess it shows she always did have a heart of gold buried deep down.

Also I think I can get behind this ship...........