• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, wow. I remember thinking this had a shot at getting localized when it was revealed, just since Arcsys has been really good about bringing stuff over, but the lack of any news or updates made me worry. Nice to know I'll be able to play it in just a few weeks!

That being said, I don't know too much about it, outside of the style being really cool (check the Bebop or Lupin-esque intro in the Gematsu link) and that it's a DRPG (meaning I am honor-bound to play it). The gameplay looks more Eye of the Beholder than Wizardry, though there's also a shooter element of some sort.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, awesome. Definitely gonna be interested in picking this up.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody with experience in this game want to tell me how obtuse it is? I don't think I've ever beaten a DRPG mainly because I'm a terminal dum-dum.

Also, Nintendo Switch? More like Nintendo Niche (games get a new life and have a lower barrier of entry to a wider audience)

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
what's a DRPG? Seeing the term in this thread but have never come across it before.

Dungeon RPG, as Zaber said. Specifically, it tends to be games with first-person dungeon exploration with either real-time combat (Eye of the Beholder, Legend of Grimrock, and this game apparently) or turn-based (Wizardry, The Bard's Tale, Etrian Odyssey, and many more). Most games have heavy party customization (again, inspired by Wizardry) but some are more story-focused.

You used to see those called dungeon crawlers, but after Diablo and similar games started getting popular, the term kind of switched to refer to those. DRPG's kind of a newer label for them, from what I understand. Easier than writing out "first-person dungeon crawlers" every time.

(They also happen to be one of my favorite sub-genres, and since they're a bit uncommon, announcements like this are always welcome)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
what's a DRPG? Seeing the term in this thread but have never come across it before.

'Dungeon' RPG.

First person, turn based, exploration stuff. Like Etrian Odyssey or Eye of the Beholder (depending on your age!).

_-Etrian-Odyssey-2-Untold-The-Fafnir-Knight-3DS-2DS-_.jpg

eye-of-the-beholder.png

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to have the same emotion board thing Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters had going on. Guess Toybox was really attached to the idea from when this was first made.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I feel like you should put "Kowloon Highschool Chronicle (Kowloon Youma Gakuen Ki)" instead of "the Kowloon game by..."

Pretty excited that more people are gonna get to play it now! I still intend to get the JP version (I was waiting for a sale still), but this version costs less than half the price. That's surprising that it's so cheap for the west! Very cool.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, that's cool. I didn't think it would happen, since they didn't localize Wizard's Symphony.
(I still want Wizard's Symphony, though.)

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
How difficult is this game on normal (original) difficulty? Does anyone have experience with it?

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
So if I understand correctly the only English physical copy will be European?
Sounds like there will only be a physical release in the EU/UK, no ESRB version.

It's coming out at a later point (Q2 2021) and the only place that has pre-orders up right now is Funstock (apparently they currently aren't accepting orders from the EU because of the Brexit chaos. So tracking down a copy might be a bit of a challenge if this is a low print run game)

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions? I'm (I think) approaching the end of Ryza 2 and will be looking for my next RPG.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Does this release on eshop in EU today? I thought it did but I couldn't see it earlier.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Does this release on eshop in EU today? I thought it did but I couldn't see it earlier.
Doesn't seem like it and I suspected as much tbh. Arc Sys never really specified where the game would release and didn't respond to questions regarding the EU release. No idea when we can expect it.

I bought a bunch of Mexican eShop credit and bought it there instead.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
No impressions yet? I'm f'real interested but $30 is kinda steep with SM3DW and Bravely Default coming out this month

AmAsuT

Jan 24, 2021
It's coming out at a later point (Q2 2021) and the only place that has pre-orders up right now is Funstock (apparently they currently aren't accepting orders from the EU because of the Brexit chaos. So tracking down a copy might be a bit of a challenge if this is a low print run game)

They accept pre-orders for Kowloon

As a result of that, unfortunately we had to make the difficult decision to pause accepting new orders for in stock items from EU countries, effective immediately. Pre-orders for certain items will not be affected (more details below).

We continue to accept pre-orders from EU countries for items that are due to be released from 1st May onwards such as Worms Collection 1, Indie Heroes Collection 1, and Kowloon High-School Chronicle, and we guarantee that they will be fulfilled without any additional VAT or customs fees - even if this is at our expense.

https://funstock.co.uk/pages/update-on-orders-to-eu-countries

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I imported this, just for a domestic release. Never thought that would happen.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I picked it up, I'm past the tutorial dungeon and what seems to be most of the early exposition dump (not too long, we ain't talkin' Persona sized here). My quick summary would be that it's a VN mixed with what looks like fairly light dungeon crawling. Gematsu's article has details and some gameplay videos (all from very early in the game), so you can check that if you want more of the basics.

I can't say much about the dungeon crawling yet since I've only done the first dungeon, but I'm guessing these are structured dungeons with a focus on puzzle solving, so don't think Wizardry dungeons here. The combat is turn-based with some real time elements, you have a set amount of AP per turn and every action (movement, melee, gunshots, etc) uses AP. You actually have an aiming reticle for the gun, with weakpoints to aim at for the enemies. When you end your turn, the opponent gets to do the same. So it's a bit more Eye of the Beholder than Wizardry, but it's not exactly like the former either.

The VN segments are what you'd expect, though the interesting wrinkle is the response system, where you choose one of nine emotions for your response:

XFGwrCn.jpg

You might not be able to see it from this image, but those are actually words spelt out on the eight spots (and not Japanese characters, as I initially assumed). To select one, you just push in the direction of the response, holding longer for the outer options. Your character will respond something matching that emotion. The ninth response is to simply do nothing, which results in you staying silent. The emotions are:

Joy
Love
Amity (friendly)
Hot
Cold
Anger
Somber
Grief

I think Tokyo Ghost Hunters did something similar, and Sakura Wars does the time-limited response thing as well. It's pretty fun, forces you into quick decisions.

Your character is part of a secret society of treasure hunters, and he's been dispatched to a Japanese high school to investigate it, because this is anime and there's always something occult happening at a high school (in fact, the game uses a TV-styled presentation, complete with opening and ending credits, plus a mid-episode break card). Your goal is to explore the ruins found under the high school. It's hard not to compare it to Persona, though I do think this game pre-dated Persona 3, so maybe it's the other way around.

A few more quick points:

-The character creation is a bit unusual: your choice of favorite school subject and after-school club affect your stats, but you'll also need to decide what part of Japan you're from and determine your eyesight based on what I assume is a Japanese scale (1.0 seems to be equal to 20/20), so you know, make sure you know those things. :P

-The translation is solid so far (and has a sense of humor), but there's a few little font size and formatting errors, like this:

BPG6Yru.jpg

Nothing I've missed dialogue from or anything, but it's there. Incidentally, I feel like whenever a VN mentions either OOPArts or the Akashic records I end up liking it, so that's a good sign.

-When a character agrees to explore ruins with you, you get a little card of them, like so:

6NXsI8o.jpg

-So far I'm not sure what the emotion responses affect in-game outside of the immediate responses, but some of the systems mention character relationships so I assume there's a social link thing going on. Although my character sheet now says I'm "really into women," so I'm guessing that was from a response as well (I was a bit too enthusiastic with the school nurse, I think).

-There is what appears to be an entire extra game of sorts that you can access and play from your dorm room, complete with its own battle system (more DQ-esque) and PC-88 styled graphics. Not sure how long it is or what it does for the rest of the game, but it looks fun.

Once I get a bit more into the gameplay loop, I'll share more. As of right now, if an occult-themed VN with some light dungeon crawling sounds fun, you might like this. It's a bit clunky, but in the good way that older PS1/PS2 games can be. It's really hitting the spot for me right now, I haven't played a VN in a while and I'd like some lighter dungeon crawling before Saviors of Sapphire Wings hits in March.

Anyway, here's some out-of-context images to end the post:

uqUuBgZ.jpg

KteY38A.jpg

PZcUHNk.jpg

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I picked it up, I'm past the tutorial dungeon and what seems to be most of the early exposition dump (not too long, we ain't talkin' Persona sized here). My quick summary would be that it's a VN mixed with what looks like fairly light dungeon crawling. Gematsu's article has details and some gameplay videos (all from very early in the game), so you can check that if you want more of the basics.

I can't say much about the dungeon crawling yet since I've only done the first dungeon, but I'm guessing these are structured dungeons with a focus on puzzle solving, so don't think Wizardry dungeons here. The combat is turn-based with some real time elements, you have a set amount of AP per turn and every action (movement, melee, gunshots, etc) uses AP. You actually have an aiming reticle for the gun, with weakpoints to aim at for the enemies. When you end your turn, the opponent gets to do the same. So it's a bit more Eye of the Beholder than Wizardry, but it's not exactly like the former either.

The VN segments are what you'd expect, though the interesting wrinkle is the response system, where you choose one of nine emotions for your response:

XFGwrCn.jpg

You might not be able to see it from this image, but those are actually words spelt out on the eight spots (and not Japanese characters, as I initially assumed). To select one, you just push in the direction of the response, holding longer for the outer options. Your character will respond something matching that emotion. The ninth response is to simply do nothing, which results in you staying silent. The emotions are:

Joy
Love
Amity (friendly)
Hot
Cold
Anger
Somber
Grief

I think Tokyo Ghost Hunters did something similar, and Sakura Wars does the time-limited response thing as well. It's pretty fun, forces you into quick decisions.

Your character is part of a secret society of treasure hunters, and he's been dispatched to a Japanese high school to investigate it, because this is anime and there's always something occult happening at a high school (in fact, the game uses a TV-styled presentation, complete with opening and ending credits, plus a mid-episode break card). Your goal is to explore the ruins found under the high school. It's hard not to compare it to Persona, though I do think this game pre-dated Persona 3, so maybe it's the other way around.

A few more quick points:

-The character creation is a bit unusual: your choice of favorite school subject and after-school club affect your stats, but you'll also need to decide what part of Japan you're from and determine your eyesight based on what I assume is a Japanese scale (1.0 seems to be equal to 20/20), so you know, make sure you know those things. :P

-The translation is solid so far (and has a sense of humor), but there's a few little font size and formatting errors, like this:

BPG6Yru.jpg

Nothing I've missed dialogue from or anything, but it's there. Incidentally, I feel like whenever a VN mentions either OOPArts or the Akashic records I end up liking it, so that's a good sign.

-When a character agrees to explore ruins with you, you get a little card of them, like so:

6NXsI8o.jpg

-So far I'm not sure what the emotion responses affect in-game outside of the immediate responses, but some of the systems mention character relationships so I assume there's a social link thing going on. Although my character sheet now says I'm "really into women," so I'm guessing that was from a response as well (I was a bit too enthusiastic with the school nurse, I think).

-There is what appears to be an entire extra game of sorts that you can access and play from your dorm room, complete with its own battle system (more DQ-esque) and PC-88 styled graphics. Not sure how long it is or what it does for the rest of the game, but it looks fun.

Once I get a bit more into the gameplay loop, I'll share more. As of right now, if an occult-themed VN with some light dungeon crawling sounds fun, you might like this. It's a bit clunky, but in the good way that older PS1/PS2 games can be. It's really hitting the spot for me right now, I haven't played a VN in a while and I'd like some lighter dungeon crawling before Saviors of Sapphire Wings hits in March.

uqUuBgZ.jpg

KteY38A.jpg

PZcUHNk.jpg
Thanks a bunch for your post. We seem to have pretty similar tastes in games based on your comparisons so I think I'm going to pick it up.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks a bunch for your post. We seem to have pretty similar tastes in games based on your comparisons so I think I'm going to pick it up.

Hope you like it too! I'm getting the impression this is the sort of game people tend to know if they'll be into.

Thanks for the info. How many people can you have in your party at once?

Just two (alongside the MC). The game seems to have space for 24(!) characters but I'm not sure if it'll actually fill up the spaces.

Also to note, your character does most of the actual fighting. Allies will modify your stats when with you, and also have an active and passive skill they can use in combat as well. I haven't seen quite how that works yet since I haven't gotten to a main dungeon yet (the ally in the tutorial just heals you occasionally).

Last edited:

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like there will only be a physical release in the EU/UK, no ESRB version.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure vgp.ca will carry it as they have a partnership with pqube.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we (UK/EU) don't have to wait until Q2 for the digitial version too...

Was all ready to buy it today.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

XFGwrCn.jpg

Joy
Love
Amity (friendly)
Hot
Cold
Anger
Somber
Grief

A few more quick points:

BPG6Yru.jpg

6NXsI8o.jpg

uqUuBgZ.jpg

KteY38A.jpg

PZcUHNk.jpg
Could you please confirm whether Japanese text is supported or not? I was waiting for a sale on the Japanese version, but the NA release is already 50%+ cheaper, so that would be great if I could just buy that.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we (UK/EU) don't have to wait until Q2 for the digitial version too...

Was all ready to buy it today.
Alternatively you could pick up some Mexican/US/Canadian eShop credit (needs to be credit because European PayPal/European credit cards won't work) and just buy it there. It's quick and painless.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Could you please confirm whether Japanese text is supported or not? I was waiting for a sale on the Japanese version, but the NA release is already 50%+ cheaper, so that would be great if I could just buy that.
You can always check a game's eShop page to see what languages a release supports, the NA page says English and Japanese: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/kowloon-high-school-chronicle-switch/

This might mean that there is an option in-game for Japanese, but more commonly the way this works is that you change your system's language to Japanese to access the Japanese version, that's how a lot of Switch games handle it.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You can always check a game's eShop page to see what languages a release supports, the NA page says English and Japanese: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/kowloon-high-school-chronicle-switch/

This might mean that there is an option in-game for Japanese, but more commonly the way this works is that you change your system's language to Japanese to access the Japanese version, that's how a lot of Switch games handle it.
I did check before asking, but somehow I don't always trust it so I wanted 100% confirmation haha

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Done with the first main dungeon level. There's quite a bit of puzzle solving in there, along with some jumping of all things (done via commands, so this isn't a platformer or even Elder Scrolls-style). Still very much in the pulling some switches or rotating that statue vein, but I could see it getting more complex.

Combat is getting more interesting. Facing down 4-5 enemies in a larger dungeon room requires more attention to your position and movement, since you generally want to be facing your enemies to increase defense or dodge chances. This is one of the places where your allies come into play, your first two give you the ability to dodge some attacks or reflect back projectiles. Their active skills don't use AP, so they can come in handy as "free" actions, though they have a set amount of uses that only get refilled in the dungeon's safe rooms, so you can't spam them.

In the VN portions you'll eventually get "free time" that lets you interact with other characters. Unlike Persona being limited by its calendar schedule, you can actually visit everyone on the map here if you want. So it's more about what you respond to them with in each conversation as opposed to having to fit in time for everyone. When you select people on the map here it gives little relationships charts about what they think of you: some of them see you as "classmate," the homeroom teacher thinks I'm "adorable," the library girl thinks I hate books despite me being nothing but nice to her, what do you want from me, Nanase?

There is really nothing about this game online in the usual places though, even for the PS2 release. Nothing on GameFAQs or HowLongToBeat. I'm sure there's stuff if I did some Googling, but I'm content to discover it on my own for now.

I did check before asking, but somehow I don't always trust it so I wanted 100% confirmation haha

Yeah, I'm guessing it'll be in Japanese if your system is set as such since that's how it usually works. I can at least say there's no option to swap to Japanese text within the game itself, which is pretty rare anyway.

The voiceovers in the game are all Japanese (as expected, they wouldn't dub something this niche). The one exception there is your HANT, a computer that helps you navigate the dungeon, which has both an English and Japanese voice option. I'm enjoying the English VO for that one, it can be odd at times but hearing it say "Go Go Go!" at the beginning of my combat turns is endearing.