• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much assumed it was for a while.

B. Jenet or bust

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Following on from XIV's ending I hope this one brings back a bunch of the characters that were killed off in previous games. Krizalid, Goenitz, Chris, Shermie, Rugal etc fuck it bring them all back

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Really hope the graphics are improved from last time. I know the days of 2-D sprites are gone, but I co-sign wishing they could do something similar to what Arcs does and give it that look at least.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
What is so great about the art style of SS? I think SNK should go in a completely different direction.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This style is so dated. It goes all the way back to SFIV. A big part of why SFXTK failed was due to its recycled art style.

First of the art style is SamSho's, the SSV/SSVSP art pre-dates SFIV by quite a few years.

And second SS is already a success and often gets praised for its visuals/art, so yeah.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
First of the art style is SamSho's, the SSV/SSVSP art pre-dates SFIV by quite a few years.

And second SS is already a success and often gets praised for its visuals/art so yeah.

Legacy is great in all if you want to be what you were. Which is fourth place in a crowded genre. I just want SNK to reach for better.

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
I have high hopes for this game.

Honestly, SNK has been exhibiting a level of consistency and quality. KOF XIV was already a solid start. SamSho looking good.

If they keep following this pattern, I'm sure KOF XV will be a complete package with looks and gameplay.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legacy is great in all if you want to be what you were. Which is fourth place in a crowded genre. I just want SNK to reach for better.

Not sure what the problem is?

SS is a success and we are getting KOFXV and a new Metal Slug next year and 2 new games every year after that.

SNK's future hasn't looked this rosy in a really damn long time.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I can't imagine they would go back to pixel art, but I feel rather confident that they're very conscious of how the visual style of 14 was received. That in addition to how good looking Samurai Showdown looks gives me a lot of hope for this titled visual style.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine they would go back to pixel art, but I feel rather confident that they're very conscious of how the visual style of 14 was received. That in addition to how good looking Samurai Showdown looks gives me a lot of hope for this titled visual style.

Oh they are very much conscious of it.

SNK's chairman said that the game was very successful for them but pretty much threw the game under the bus when it came to visuals and said that KOFXV will look much better.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
We already know it's using UE4 and it's targeting 2020 release.....

Idk why they just did such a nothing announcement when we already knew that it exists lol.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Not sure what the problem is?

SS is a success and we are getting KOFXV and a new Metal Slug next year and 2 new games every year after that.

SNK's future hasn't looked this rosy in a really damn long time.

I'm saying reaching for outdated graphics tech is a mistake. I have nothing but respect for SNK and what they've been able to accomplish after the bankruptcy. People asking for a game to look like SFIV is just foolish.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying reaching for outdated graphics tech is a mistake. I have nothing but respect for SNK and what they've been able to accomplish after the bankruptcy. People asking for a game to look like SFIV is just foolish.

Okay I guess you don't know what old SamSho art looks like.

What they did with SS is the equivalent of KOFXV looking like Shinkiro/Hiraoki's art.

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
KOF14 is great. I REALLY hope they bring back Kasumi and especially Xiangfei

Could never truly get in to 14 becasue my two mains were missing If they return for 15 im all in

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Okay I guess you don't know what old SamSho art looks like.

ohzrd5t.jpg

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

Hopefully they made the move to UE4 instead of using an internal engine. The animation in KOF14 is pretty nice so they just need upgrade...everything else.

Hoping to see something much closer to XIII in terms of presentation this time around. Their budget is much higher this time around and SamSho was a step in the right direction so lets hope!

How do you know?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New game is on unreal engine. The problem with KoF14 and IIRC something the new CEO even talked about was that if he could have moved that game to a better engine when he came aboard to help smoothen the process of development he would have, but the game was too far into development at the time. Everything they make is going to be on UE4 and everything they make is planned for multiplatform. That is their goal.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Hopefully the designs look better.

And hopefully the price for XIV will go down enough for me to be able to buy it at the price I want ;p.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They better step their game up this time. Game still looks poor compared to 13.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Hoping to see something much closer to XIII in terms of presentation this time around. Their budget is much higher this time around and SamSho was a step in the right direction so lets hope!

I really doubt a game with a roster as large as typical KOF games will also boast that kind of visual fidelity, but KOFXV will definitely look as good as SamSho

but you're the gamedev here, maybe you know a little more than me

--

KOFXIII is the worst looking KOF game by a large margin btw

J75

Sep 29, 2018
So sad that they ain't ever going back to those delicious 2D HD sprites from XIII. That game looks amazing. Oh well... at least i can always go back to XIII on PC.

KOFXIII is the worst looking KOF game by a large margin btw
Lmao

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
the only knocks on XIII that I can see are minor choices like exaggerated proportions, no eyes, bell bottoms, seeming lack of alpha channels on effects, but overall it has its own style and it makes a much greater artistic statement than the highly generic looking XIV.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
perhaps not, but a PS4 edition with just one additional team, even if they're all EX characters, would be incredible. I will never give up hope!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kof 12 sprites were kinda ugly thanks to the zoom in. They looked great in 13 because they made the characters look smaller, but they still looked ugly on the neo maxes