• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A much smaller and more compact version of the tech might appear again. Then again, a lot of the Kinect tech still lives on in various devices (Apple for example) and it has been used in quite a lot of interesting PC homebrew software. Combine it with VR for some interesting things.

They're using it for MMR headset roomscale.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, Kinect was terrible and came at the cost of many 1st party studios and games and lead to the initial Xbox One plans.

EDIT: Seriously, it was so annoying being in party chat with friends and hearing them struggle with Kinect not powering off the system or opening the game/app they want to do when they could do it faster with the controller.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Looks like they're having more fun than you are acting smug about the death of Kinect *shrug*

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't be happier that that thing is dead and gone. Pretty much hated everything about it. Voice control, motion control... all garbage to me.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. That avatar shoe amirite guyz??

Bring back Kinect. It had some really cool family friendly games. In hindsight the XBO should have been BC with 360's Kinect and they should have kept making 360 Kinect games.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Apart from the Fitness stuff that was really well done, Kinect failed to live up to its potential in every way. Hell. PSVR has had far more memorable experiences in its short life than Kinect had on 360 or X1.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Kinect was great for dance central and party games, but sucked for anything else. That MS tried to advertise it for core gaming is just embarrassing.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Kinect killed several games with the increased focus on it and almost killed the entire console

I liked some of the interactions in games with it but good riddance to this pos

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an old video, but it's one of the neater proof of concepts that shows just how neat Kinect is for fast 3D scanning:

This is 3 kinects capturing this guy's room in real time, then feeding the data back to his VR headset as a 3d model, which lets him see around the room and, being a free floating camera, even step outside his live body. When Kinect isn't being tasked with trying to decypher skeletal tracking, it's very fast at capturing a room. He has an entire studio set up for this, with white walls, that he chroma keys out of the video capture, to let him essentially scan 3d objects in the room and place them into VR, like reverse AR. This sort of stuff is really neat, this particular demo is done with Kinect V1. Kinect V1 was very low quality, hence the awful image quality being shown. But Kinect 2 is actually really sharp and makes really high quality models. It's a shame absolutely nothing released ever took advantage of what it could do. You had to write entire programs to get this stuff out of kinect, Microsoft's bundled PC software didn't even include a proper video recording software.

Why didn't Microsoft do something like a Virtual Movie Studio game where you could make short CG movies with your own motion capture? That seems like it could've worked.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about awesome but there are things I miss about the Kinect. It sucks that those adaptors just aren't available anymore. I have a Kinect sitting in a drawer that I can't use because Xbox One X.

I miss Xbox Fitness. Like really miss it. It was absolutely amazing and my favourite fitness app on a games console ever. The fact that it'd show you exactly what part of your body wasn't doing it right. And it could (fairly) accurately give you a score/leaderboards based on your performance. It was great and I used to use it every night.

Also, Kinect voice stuff was so ahead of the curve. We all lost our shit when it turned out people would have a microphone in our homes and it would always be listening and also why because it's dumb. Now everyone has an Amazon Echo or a Google Home and that stuff is the new hotness. Admittedly they do more than interact with your console but still.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Pure hype & PR. Microsoft stormed ahead with this one and must have, I assume, ignored playtesting & longer/non-basic gaming sessions. The false demos & PR talk behind this product was arguably more cause for trust-loss than their original XB1 DRM plans.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I bought a used Kinect one year ago to play Dance Central. It works fine iMO even if the camera's field of view is pretty narrow. Eventually I'll get more games (DC2/3, Just Dance) but I can see the device has a limited number of use cases.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The real future for Kinect tech is with VR. Imagine accurate full body tracking with no controllers while wearing an HMD - that's the future.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who played table tennis on Kinect sports knows how awesome Kinect can be

Also how badly out of shape your arms really are

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I agree with you, though I also believe MS misfired by focusing so much into it at the cost of other things. They really needed to not be spitting on hardcore gamers while doing kinect. Had they simply built up studios for Kinect while also maintaining all their normal offerings I think Kinect wouldn't have become such an issue. It taking up so much E3 space was embarrassing too.

I wish MS didn't launch Kinect on Xbox One without games to play though, they killed it themselves.

Feb 10, 2018
There biggest mistake was bundling it in and raising the cost by $100.

I've always like the idea of motion controlled games, where I can get some exercise.

The switch was my first motion controlled system.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Looks like they are making a 4K cam for streamers and one for VR,that will basically be Kinect 2,like it's going to recognise family members for example that have an account and log them in just by them walking in front of it,etc etc...it may not have the motion stuff though.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised Microsoft didn't rebrand it and give it a software suite on the PC. The indie applications of this thing are INSANE (i.e. cheap motion cap, art, etc.) shame they gave up on it because they couldn't force it down gamers' throats.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
The Visual effects and Game Design programs at SCAD utilize kinects for motion capture to great effect. Kinect has been a very invaluable tool for indie devs working on tighter budgets.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
The Kinect was a cool idea that was terribly executed and shoved down people's throats. If anything, it died too late.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I had fond memories playing Mass Effect 3 with kimect. I played the whole game shouting commands to my squad, i rarely ever opened the radial menue to select abilities... I could give or take the movement controls, but the voice commands were way ahead of their time for console and way underutilized.

It was super immersive and worked well!

Tali, overload!

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
The real future for Kinect tech is with VR. Imagine accurate full body tracking with no controllers while wearing an HMD - that's the future.
That's what vive trackers are for - they're very accurate, much more than kinect. I use a handful for motion capture. Kinect has far too much jitter and is too lossy for full body capture, but I do use it for facial capture.

The problem with vive trackers is that they're $100 a pop and only work with vive - no developer is going to make a game for them in specific with such a limited audience and no gamer wants to spend that kind of money when so few games benefit, so they remain a development tool.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Killing Kinect was the final straw for me and MS. It's not that i loved Kinect, but I really wanted to see MS focused on whatever their vision was at the time instead of trying to recapture its place as one of the console twins. I totally understand the reaction that MS needed to full stop it's messaging and appeal to its core, but it felt like such a drastic reaction that it made me completely lose faith in the company. Imagine if Sony didn't have such a steady hand with their PSVR re-messaged whenever tides turned?

I've said before: had the backwards compatibility initiative happened at launch, the console leader of this gen would've looked very different. MS was doing so many things correctly: Kinect 2.0 included in box mandatory, upgraded controller, strong digital user base of people already committed to Xbox Live...

Most of PS4's dominance is due to the hemorrhaging of Xbox fans to the PS4 console. I was one of them, and I can think of at least 10 other friends.

One day a book is going to be written about the AMAZING fumble MS made, because watching it in play was staggering...

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
one of the best moments in my life was playing once upon a monster with my daughter. pity that this failed. there was a lot of potential

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I feel like all those games truthfully did not offer anything new that, say, the eye toy had provided years prior. And the other thing people liked about Kinect, the voice commands, could be accomplished by any microphone, as things like Alexa show.

I don't think it came out at the wrong time, I think it came out as precisely the right time to catch the tail end of the Wii boom to ride an old concept to record sales.

Then you never used EyeToy and Kinect.

This is like saying a OLED 4k display offers nothing that my old 480i CRT didn't offer.

The tech in Kinect was far more reliable, both from a hardware and software level. Beyond the 3D camera and microphone array, Kinect also had all the machine learning built technology that enabled it to work with tons of different body shapes and sizes while wearing tons of different tight or baggy clothing. It truly was ahead of its time.

A modern Kinect with 4k cameras and more than the limited processing power and ram of the 360 could do amazing things. I am happy MS is still making them for business and HoloLens.

I also do miss Kinect Adventures and Dance Central. Also loved using voice commands in Mass Effect 3 to control my allies.

The way I see it is MS tried to shoehorn it into too many bad games, never really opened it up for Indies to experiment (can you imagine VR without indie support). Also they launched in on the X1 with no software.

Ohh, and I laugh at all the people claiming it was an utter failure. 35+ Million people don't buy a failure. It takes word of mouth to sell that much of a product. Get back to me when something like PSVR gets close to those sales.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It veered Microsoft off course.

If they would have found a good balance and then gone the VR route with the camera, that would have been much much better. They went all in and ruined it.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I thought the ping pong game in Kinect Sports was actually really good... responsive and impressive. I had a good amount of fun with that one against the cpu.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then you never used EyeToy and Kinect.

...yeah ok.

The tech in Kinect was far more reliable, both from a hardware and software level. Beyond the 3D camera and microphone array, Kinect also had all the machine learning built technology that enabled it to work with tons of different body shapes and sizes while wearing tons of different tight or baggy clothing. It truly was ahead of its time.

Kinect had no dsp chip inside of it for any of this. You are conflating software with hardware, and that same software can work with virtually any sort of camera.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only time motion controls were even kind of cool/beneficial was with the Wii. Kinect was broken dogshit to the point that it made the average Wii game seem like perfection.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
...yeah ok.

Kinect had no dsp chip inside of it for any of this. You are conflating software with hardware, and that same software can work with virtually any sort of camera.

And... Wow...

While you are technically correct that you could in theory make similar software for other cameras, there would be huge limitations to doing so.

For starters, EyeToy was notorious for not working well in bright light or low contrast environments. This is due to the nature of how most cameras work. Even in 3D it is exceptionally difficult to distinguish even a human from a background. Especially the entire human body, not just a face.

There is a reason they used an IR depth sensor and not just another RGB camera.

You also are ignoring all the custom silicon in the Kinect, including multiple custom processors and the ability to adjust itself mechanically to track you better.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Google Home/Siri/Alexa ate Microsoft's lunch when XBOX was much better positioned in living rooms just 10 years ago.

The camera ironically was its undoing. If MS just focused on voice, it would have caught on possibly as a standalone device.