• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Revealed via the album cover on social media. After Imploding The Mirage, I hope it's a similar swing upward in quality after those rough years.

219444199_367386834752571_3773881405376388389_n.jpg

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait.
So close to Imploding the Mirage, which may be my favorite Killers album...hmm...I hope its quality. Exciting stuff.
I'm generally pretty skeptical of those "part 2" albums that always just seem to have leftovers from the previous album but, like, they didn't have to spend time touring, right? And it's been a year.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing this ain't gonna be quite so uplifting as Imploding the Mirage, based on that title and image.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Big Killers fan and Imploding the Mirage was a big return to form for them.

I hope this keeps with the Day & Age and Imploding the Mirage styles. Killers THRIVE when their songs are more upbeat.

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
I kind of dropped off The Killers bandwagon, but I loved Hot Fuss. I actually didn't pay any attention to Imploding The Mirage so I'll have check it out now...

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
ITM was such a blessing mid pandemic last year. This seems like it's going for bleaker themes so it'll be interesting to hear. It's so soon!

Battle Born

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I figured that it would be better to post this in a new thread instead of bumping the old Imploding the Mirage one. And, as the title says, the Killers are releasing their next album on August 13, 2021. Apparently, Phoebe Bridgers will be featuring in one of the tracks and the whole album is going to be 11 tracks long with 5 songs that are going to be over 5 minutes long.

I´m going to post the full press release as there's some interesting information about the album's inspiration there.

The Killers will release their seventh studio album, entitled Pressure Machine, on Island Records on August 13, 2021. The album was co-produced by the band, Shawn Everett, and Jonathan Rado (of Foxygen), all of whom worked together on The Killers' critically-acclaimed album Imploding The Mirage, released last year.

When the Covid-19 pandemic shut down the promotional run and worldwide tour for The Killers' majestic, critically-acclaimed 2020 album Imploding the Mirage, "everything came to this grinding halt," says frontman Brandon Flowers. "And it was the first time in a long time for me that I was faced with silence. And out of that silence, this record began to bloom, full of songs that would have otherwise been too quiet and drowned out by the noise of typical Killers records." Indeed, for the first time since 2004, the relentless momentum and pressures of being in a globally-renowned, stadium-shaking band stopped. Enter Pressure Machine: a view into the everyday realities of a small American town with a stark, tough beauty, and The Killers' most restrained and resonant album yet.

A quieter, character-study-driven album, Pressure Machine lives squarely in Flowers' hometown of Nephi, Utah, a close-knit community of 5300 people with no traffic lights, a rubber plant, wheat fields, and the West Hills. Nephi is the place Flowers spent his formative years (10-16), saying "had it not been for advancements in the automotive industry, Nephi in the 90s could have been the 1950s." The album's songs are based on the memories and stories of people that impacted him growing up, interspersed with commentary from current Nephi locals about their town. "We were discussing [Brandon] moving to Nephi as a kid and being stuck in the middle of nowhere," says the band's drummer Ronnie Vannucci Jr. "And during Covid-19, it started to feel like we were all in the middle of nowhere." Concurs Flowers, "I discovered this grief that I hadn't dealt with," he says, "many memories of my time in Nephi are tender. But the ones tied to fear or great sadness were emotionally charged. I've got more understanding now than when we started the band, and hopefully I was able to do justice to these stories and these lives in this little town that I grew up in."

The resulting record is an aural document of growing up - and living - in the American Southwest, told from a myriad of perspectives. For the first time in his life, Flowers had complete lyrics before a note of music was put to tape. No stranger to inhabiting different characters in songs, on Pressure Machine he steps into the shoes of some of the people whose lives he watched unfold as a teen. The album weaves the threads of Flowers' signature lyricism throughout his career into a perfect whole culminating in the most elegant album The Killers have ever made.

Through its characters and also its title, the album squares up to the unbending pressure of the American dream compounded by religious disenchantment. A born optimist, moments of beauty inevitably shine out of the grief of Flowers's songs: the healing arrival of summer, the first crop of hay, sweeter skies. Pressure Machine's stories detail the real life personal battles, overwhelming regrets, local tragedies, and the opioid epidemic that hit Flowers' hometown, as well as every hometown in America. Flowers sings about the choices people make, for better and for worse, and the consequences of those choices; the ones who were left behind, and the ones that can't be forgotten.

Pressure Machine's album cover image was shot on the highway just outside Nephi, taken as photographer Wes Johnson passed a roadside inspirational display set up by a local Baptist church. Johnson took dozens of incredible images of Flowers' hometown throughout the early part of 2021, many of which are featured in the album's packaging for the physical edition.

The Killers will be heading back to the road to celebrate both Pressure Machine and Imploding The Mirage, along with their much-loved catalogue of global hits, in 2022. Tickets for these shows go on sale on Friday, July 23rd, at 10 am local time via the band's website.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've pretty much hated their last two albums but I'm hoping this hits for me. It sounds pretty interesting and I still really like their first four (and Desired Effect)

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe another one is coming so soon. Last year's album was awesome, a lot of songs off of it still in my rotation, "My God", "Running Towards a Place" and "Lightning Fields" in particular.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice!

Imploding the Mirage is their best album so I cannot wait for this.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Looks like tickets for their Imploding the Mirage tour (in 2022) are going on sale soon. Definitely looking forward to seeing them live again - and hey with 2 new records' worth of material to pull from.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Kicking out another album so soon, what a treat! I was only hot on about half of Imploding the Mirage though. Leaned a bit heavy on spirituality, and there wasn't a lot of variance in song style. We'll see how this is.

Akahige

Oct 27, 2017
Imploding the Mirage grew on me, love the bombastic over the top sound. I'm looking forward to something more low key and directly personal.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. As others have said, Imploding the Mirage was fantastic and up there with Hot Fuss and Sam's Town.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the band was sending out concert presale codes to a random number of people. If anyone here happened to get one and doesn't want it, I'd love a PM

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
From "In The Car Outside" -

Looking forward to this, but... I'm not immediately loving the small snippets we've heard so far, unlike Imploding the Mirage where I was on board with nearly everything.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Wow. Love that these guys keeping going at it. Exploding the Mirage was not my favorite but definitely kept up the quality. May have to give it a relisten.

All their shit is so good. Fuck people forget about Battleborn and nearly every track on that album is fucking 10/10. A lot of bands can't measure up to their worst albums

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
My copy arrived early in the mail today.

I am really digging it- t's different and sonically quieter than their usual stuff but still has that Killers sound to it. The mixture of quiet songs with more uptempo songs really shows the range of Flower's voice. The title track in particular gave me goose bumps when Flower's switches to a falsetto backed up with really lovely guitar and fiddle. The full version of In the Car Outside is the closest to what you would call a traditional Killers track and it has a really nice groove with some great guitar work from Keuning. Other tracks that I love from the first listen are West Hills, Runaway Horses and Cody.

The interviews that they have stiched between tracks really adds to the concept of exploring small town american life- it really works as an album that shouild be listened to as a whole rather than in pieces.

I think this is going to end up being a lot of people's favorite Killers album. It's a more mature sound, but unlike on Wonderful Wonderful it manages to pull it off.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Cannot stop listening to the opening track, West Hills. Holy fucking shit.

Also, Flowers is doing absolutely sublime things with his voice on the title track, Pressure Machine.

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Quiet Town with the harmonica sections and it's not often a song brings me close to tears but Flowers voice on Pressure Machine is simply beautiful.
He has one of, if not, the best voices in music today.

The album is fantastic, a massive change up from Imploding The Mirage and yet still that distinct Killers sound.

I can't wait to see them next year after the tour being delayed twice, I'm absolutely dying to have My Own Souls Warning performed live in front of me.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
I absolutely love Quiet Town with the harmonica sections and it's not often a song brings me close to tears but Flowers voice on Pressure Machine is simply beautiful.
He has one of, if not, the best voices in music today.

The album is fantastic, a massive change up from Imploding The Mirage and yet still that distinct Killers sound.

I can't wait to see them next year after the tour being delayed twice, I'm absolutely dying to have My Own Souls Warning performed live in front of me.

I'm hyped to see them live next year- MOSW and Dying Breed I imagine are going to be huge when they play them live. I'd love them to play In the Car Outside, Quiet Town and Pressure Machine from the new album live. I'd imagine Pressure Machine would be a difficult track to sing live night after night

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Cannot stop listening to the opening track, West Hills. Holy fucking shit.

Also, Flowers is doing absolutely sublime things with his voice on the title track, Pressure Machine.

agreed his voice is sublime on Pressure Machine - you can feel the emotion come from it. West Hills is a beast of a track- such an amazingly strong opener to the album.

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
Listening through for the first time this morning and enjoying it - only up to track three and have to call out that Terrible Thing gives me serious Nebraska-era Bruce vibes, love it

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
My initial reaction on first listen is a negative one. This seems to be a concept album and that concept is Depression in Small Town America. At a certain point it all just started bleeding together.

I'll give it at least one more listen to be fair, but right now I don't like it at all.