• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For real, ever since I bought Just Dance for the Switch for a party, it quickly became one of my favorite games to play with visitors and/or friends.

It's just incredibly fun dancing against one of your friends, developing rivalries and talking smack to each other. And then, after being exhausted, you go to YouTube, looking up clips like these:

And realize that none of you have been the hot shit you've claimed to be all day/night.

I also think this game is decent exercise on top of giving you a feel for dancing. I can certainly say that I feel less embarrassed about my dancing ever since I started playing this game.

It seems that casual players seem to agree since this series alone seemed to have kept the Wii afloat for a while after 2012, but among "core-gamers" this game has not a good reputation. It's also always the least liked part of any Ubisoft conference, but honestly: This game doesn't deserve to be shat on like that.

I like Just Dance, and I wish more of my gaming-friends, or gamers in general, would agree to that. This is a series that is just as fun as Mario Kart or Mario Party, the only difference being that you gotta move your body to play it.

Well, feel free to shit on me, I just wanted to vent my frustration about the series being treated as shovelware.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Core" gamers can continue being snobs while tens of millions enjoy Just Dance and Ubisoft makes bank.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
You have my axe OP. Just Dance is stupid amounts of fun and it's definitely one of my party games of choice when we have a group of friends/family over and everyone has had a couple of beverages. Some of the most enjoyable co-op gaming moments of my life are playing JD with my family after we've had a few too many drinks, hilarity always ensues.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I used to use it for exercise back in the day. It's pretty fun. The Rasputin one was actually one of my favorites and that video is awesome.

OP
OP
Nightbird

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You have my axe OP. Just Dance is stupid amounts of fun and it's definitely one of my party games of choice when we have a group of friends/family over and everyone has had a couple of beverages. Some of the most enjoyable co-op gaming moments of my life are playing JD with my family after we've had a few too many drinks, hilarity always ensues.

Oh my God, I actually never tried doing this drunk. You just gave me a new idea!

Thanks!

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I fuckin' love Just Dance, OP. It's some of the best local multiplayer gaming you can experience, every year, hands down.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I don't think it's underrated when it's being bought by millions. I don't even think ERA is particularly snobbish about it, or whatever you're implying OP (I don't think a few ERA-members are representative of the majority).

Just Dance pretty much knocked it out of the park from the start, and it's stayed persistent to a formula instead of trying to fix something that ain't broken. It's a good game, but since it doesn't have story, doesn't have characters, and pretty much has a monopoly on the genre, there's just not a lot to talk about.

Good game, just not a catalyst for discussion.

Deleted member 54216

Banned
Feb 26, 2019
User warned: Trolling/Thread Derailing
If i want to go out and dance with friends i go to a Club where i don't need a wii as a requirement.

OP
OP
Nightbird

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't think it's underrated when it's being bought by millions. I don't even think ERA is particularly snobbish about it, or whatever you're implying OP (I don't think a few ERA-members are representative of the majority).

Just Dance pretty much knocked it out of the park from the start, and it's stayed persistent to a formula instead of trying to fix something that ain't broken. It's a good game, but since it doesn't have story, doesn't have characters, and pretty much has a monopoly on the genre, there's just not a lot to talk about.

Good game, just not a catalyst for discussion.

But never once in my posts did I say that Era is snobbish about it. Pay attention to the chat of whatever livestream you're going to the Ubisoft conference to see what I'm talking about.

I see your point in the second half tough. Still, I think it doesn't get enough recognition for the quality game it is.

If i want to go out and dance with friends i go to a Club where i don't need a wii as a requirement.

I'm sorry, but what kind of argument is that? If we go down that route there's pretty much no need for videogames at all.

Shooters? Go play Lasertag.
Sports? Get yourself a ball and get going.
Adventure? Escape Rooms got your back!
Racing? Grab some Karts and do some races.

And even ignoring this, I'd say Just Dance is cheaper and more enjoyable than clubbing if it's just for dancing.
If just Dance had a plot where you need to get smashed and try to hook up with different people, then I would prefer doing it in real life as well.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
I feel like Just Dance is pretty aknowledged though, if we're talking underrated we're talking Dance Central here, which died a sad death with the horrible Spotlight.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I almost bought whatever the newest one is on switch when I see it on sale a bunch of times but keep seeing comments that it is just a dlc store front and you actually need a monthly subscription go have access to a good song selection. What version should I get if my kids just want to dance to and I am cheap?

OP
OP
Nightbird

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I almost bought whatever the newest one is on switch when I see it on sale a bunch of times but keep seeing comments that it is just a dlc store front and you actually need a monthly subscription go have access to a good song selection. What version should I get if my kids just want to dance to and I am cheap?

This is half the truth.

It's true that there's a monthly(or yearly in my case) subscription to a service that let's you access a boatload of songs.

Here's the list if you're curious:
https://justdance.fandom.com/wiki/Just_Dance_Unlimited

As you can see, some songs are made unavailable for older titles. This coupled with the big number of new songs that each new entry has is how Ubisoft is trying to keep people coming back every year.

But to answer your question: try to find a new copy of Just Dance 2017 or 2018, since those should definitely be cheaper now, and use the code for one year of free Just Dance Unlimited to get the most out of your game for a low price :)

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when the first game came out it was regarded as the pinnacle of Wii shovelware trash, but I played it and love it. Once the game became big the sequels began gettings "7s" instead of "4s". As much as they try to deny it "core gamers" are every bit as peer pressured on what games to enjoy as casual ones.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the amazing things is that the Wii version sells so much they still make it for Wii.

I think the Wii version is still the highest selling version every year, at least up until recently. Apparently it has badges for playing previous titles, because a streamer was loading it up on the Wii and it was like "uh holy shit you've been playing this game series for a while, here's your badge for the original goddamn Just Dance"

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I totally agree. My wife made me play it while we were dating and I thought it would be so stupid but it's super fun. I've played every version since then.

OP
OP
Nightbird

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One of the amazing things is that the Wii version sells so much they still make it for Wii.

I think the Wii version is still the highest selling version every year, at least up until recently. Apparently it has badges for playing previous titles, because a streamer was loading it up on the Wii and it was like "uh holy shit you've been playing this game series for a while, here's your badge for the original goddamn Just Dance"

Do you have a clip of that? That sounds great! :)

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also this series is weird sometimes for licensing.

Like, for some reason, Ubisoft doesn't have the money to license the master version of Macarena? Because it always seemed like one of the easiest songs to get rights to out there.

Dance Central has the master

Even weirder licensing: Both series have What Is Love by Haddaway. Just Dance licensed the SNL skit choreo. Dance Central has the master track, but didn't license the choreo, so they just approximate it.

Happens a few times where one game has the master but not the choreo, and the other one has the inverse. The consistent thing between both of them is neither of them were able to get master tracks of any Britney Spears songs.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I was always under the impression that the Dance Central games are better for actually being better wrt choreography, featureset, and grading your dance moves, but since most people who play these games are families or drunk people at parties Just Dance ended up being a lot more successful (well, that and because it's way more accessible with the Dance Central games being Kinect exclusives)

sigmaxchange

Banned
May 9, 2018
Orlando, FL

I recommend Just Dance 2018. In my opinion it has the best soundtrack since JD 2014 and you can access the JD 2017 songs with unlimited. Moreover, if you have it on Switch you can get access to 2 Mario dances. One is an alternate to Beyonce's "Naughty Girl!"

sigmaxchange

Banned
May 9, 2018
Orlando, FL

Like, for some reason, Ubisoft doesn't have the money to license the master version of Macarena? Because it always seemed like one of the easiest songs to get rights to out there.

Dance Central has the master

Even weirder licensing: Both series have What Is Love by Haddaway. Just Dance licensed the SNL skit choreo. Dance Central has the master track, but didn't license the choreo, so they just approximate it.

Happens a few times where one game has the master but not the choreo, and the other one has the inverse. The consistent thing between both of them is neither of them were able to get master tracks of any Britney Spears songs.

The one thing that's consistently awful is the covers used in Just Dance. The most jarring is they license Disney movie likenesses and everything but the actual original song. Though recently they ponied up money for Britney Spears master versions! They have had a few big hit songs in the recent games, so it's slightly better.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
This is half the truth.

It's true that there's a monthly(or yearly in my case) subscription to a service that let's you access a boatload of songs.

Here's the list if you're curious:
https://justdance.fandom.com/wiki/Just_Dance_Unlimited

As you can see, some songs are made unavailable for older titles. This coupled with the big number of new songs that each new entry has is how Ubisoft is trying to keep people coming back every year.

But to answer your question: try to find a new copy of Just Dance 2017 or 2018, since those should definitely be cheaper now, and use the code for one year of free Just Dance Unlimited to get the most out of your game for a low price :)
I recommend Just Dance 2018. In my opinion it has the best soundtrack since JD 2014 and you can access the JD 2017 songs with unlimited. Moreover, if you have it on Switch you can get access to 2 Mario dances. One is an alternate to Beyonce's "Naughty Girl!"

Thanks I will keep an eye out for a sale on 2018.

Deleted member 54216

Banned
Feb 26, 2019
But never once in my posts did I say that Era is snobbish about it. Pay attention to the chat of whatever livestream you're going to the Ubisoft conference to see what I'm talking about.

I see your point in the second half tough. Still, I think it doesn't get enough recognition for the quality game it is.

I'm sorry, but what kind of argument is that? If we go down that route there's pretty much no need for videogames at all.

Shooters? Go play Lasertag.
Sports? Get yourself a ball and get going.
Adventure? Escape Rooms got your back!
Racing? Grab some Karts and do some races.

And even ignoring this, I'd say Just Dance is cheaper and more enjoyable than clubbing if it's just for dancing.
If just Dance had a plot where you need to get smashed and try to hook up with different people, then I would prefer doing it in real life as well.
That is by no means an argument, just my Personal opinion.. Dont get it why people react like that.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Every year when the next entry is announced I check to see if they still make a Wii version, and I'm never disappointed

Keep on trucking

At this rate the Wii version will still be made while they make a PS5 and new Xbox version lol

It amuses me to still see the Wii getting new software

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Long time fan here, OP! I started dabbling in the series around 2 (of course, Rasputin is a noteworthy inclusion for sure). Sadly, I'm an introverted loser who's never really experienced it in groups. I've mainly used it for excercising. For a while, I really liked 4 for its workout routines. I really wish they'd bring those back. I picked up either 2015 or 2016 for Wii U, but I just couldn't get into it compared to 4. I finally bought 2017,2018, and 2019 for Switch during that recent sale and I think I'm going to stick with 2018. 2019 has Unlimited stuck behind the Ubisoft Account stuff which is lame. Plus I'm not really feeling the track list. I wish they'd bring back the workout routines though.

Huh? I've only seen Naughty Girl, what's the other Mario one? But I agree 2018 is probably the best recent entry right now.

sigmaxchange

Banned
May 9, 2018
Orlando, FL
Long time fan here, OP! I started dabbling in the series around 2 (of course, Rasputin is a noteworthy inclusion for sure). Sadly, I'm an introverted loser who's never really experienced it in groups. I've mainly used it for excercising. For a while, I really liked 4 for its workout routines. I really wish they'd bring those back. I picked up either 2015 or 2016 for Wii U, but I just couldn't get into it compared to 4. I finally bought 2017,2018, and 2019 for Switch during that recent sale and I think I'm going to stick with 2018. 2019 has Unlimited stuck behind the Ubisoft Account stuff which is lame. Plus I'm not really feeling the track list. I wish they'd bring back the workout routines though.

Huh? I've only seen Naughty Girl, what's the other Mario one? But I agree 2018 is probably the best recent entry right now.
The other one is "Just Mario". They are not on JD 2019 Switch for some reason. Only exclusives to JD 2018 Switch. If I didn't have it on Wii U already I would buy 2018 on Switch since it seems to be the definitive version.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've watched Amouranth, spelling?, play it on Twitch if that counts. By play I mean dance and by watch I mean ogle like a dirty old man.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Tens of millions? This series barely sells anything anymore
It must sell something. Because they deem it worthwhile to still release versions for the Wii and Wii U.

s-l300.jpg

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I keep buying them, though I don't have the final two yet. I really enjoy these games, and some extra physical movement is always good.

-snip-

This so much. Having Holiday, but not the actual Madonna track just stings. I'm Blue is also some weird ass cover and I'm unsure why some of these really well known songs can't get the original master.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
It must sell something. Because they deem it worthwhile to still release versions for the Wii and Wii U.

s-l300.jpg

If the game would sell well on PS4/XB1 they wouldn't bother with Wii/Wii U versions. The Wii was still the best selling version like 2 years ago thats a bit telling isn't it? This franchise used to sell tens of millions on 1 platform(Wii). It's on 5-6 platforms now and it's selling a faction of what it used to sell.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Without it we woudn't have those amazing Ubisoft E3 dance entrances.

The last one I played was on the Wii but didn't play it that much, it was just me dancing and I later switched dancing for Rock Band.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Why was this thread not here last week when the games where on sale ;_;. I couldn't decide if I should buy.

I actually like dancing, so I'm thinking for a long time to buy JD, but I'm not sure yet what makes these games "special"? If I play a professional performance on YouTube and try to mimik it, wouldn't it be the same?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy that these games just keep going on while Nintendo's own casual properties like Wii Sports and Wii Fit are dead.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the digital version of 2017 and 2018 only come with a 3 month subscription instead of a full year like the retail copies supposedly had. :(