• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I remember back in the day everyone saying Prime 3 looked like a GameCube game. While Twilight Princess was essentially one. I spent some time replaying TP Wii today because I missed the Wii Remote in the HD version greatly (Nintendo you really fucked up).

In 1080p via the Wii U the game still has its charm but it is incredibly jaggie/pixely. Environmental textures are pretty low res. HD version is a humongous upgrade honestly.

After playing TP Wii I felt hungry for more IR aiming and booted up the Legendary Trilogy. My recent save file in Korrupshun was in Brryo. Right before you take on Sub-Zero.

Fuck man this game still looks good. Leagues above Zelda. Plays masterfully too. And I love Twilight Princess (possibly my Zelda).

Nintendo, fucking hurry up with Trilogy HD and don't skimp on the control options. Bring the Zelda HD games too, but again. Don't skimp on control options dude.

Corrupted_samus.jpg

gfs_605204_2_5_mid.jpg

Metroid-Prime-3-corruption.jpg

large.jpg

Metroid_Prime_3_Corruption_Omega_Ridley.jpg

087.jpg

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess was not a good looking game. And the HD Remake was a horrible "upgrade", which didn't fix the fundamental issues of the look of the game (the lighting and models)

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I think TP is the ugliest mainline Zelda game.

It's still a good game. I enjoyed it quite a bit. And it has some really fun ideas. But man is it just very flat and barren - even in HD the textures are trash so everything muddies together. It doesn't help that most the NPC character models are extremely goofy looking even though they're trying to look "realistic."

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Metroid Prime 3 is the only metroid game I havent played despite owning it since day one and it currently being the only wii game I still own. I just keep believing i'll get around to it eventually.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: Metroid Prime 3 is the only metroid game I havent played despite owning it since day one and it currently being the only wii game I still own. I just keep believing i'll get around to it eventually.

You should fix that. Despite making their bosses a bit more cartoony and seemingly trying to make the game a little more like contemporary shooters, it really remains one of the Wii's best games. Seems like it kind of gets overshadowed by being in the Trilogy package, but make no mistake, it's a Prime game through and through, meaning it's excellent in basically every way.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I recently tried to start up my copies of WW, TP, and SS on my 1080p LCD and ... man, TP just doesn't hold up :/. SS fares considerably better but at the end of the day WW's simplicity wins out, even with all the blurriness in the distance. TP is the worst as the aliasing just tears the picture to shreds and the detail becomes super muddy.

Of course I understand these games would all look better on a CRT, but Mario Galaxy and Prime 3 do pretty well on this same LCD panel, just feels like the art direction is stronger there. The framerate helps considerably and honestly the Wiimote controls of the Prime trilogy feel amazing.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Yeah the art direction in those mp games definitely stood the test of time. I think twilight princess is one of the most safest, boring looking Zelda games nintendo has ever made.

Jan 11, 2018
Prime 2 to Prime 3 is a better comparison, as TP was a GC game also, and Prime 2 looks superior to it anyway. That being said, Prime 2 to Prime 3 was a big jump haha. The load times waiting for doors was worse, but worth it in the end. Prime 3 is my favorite game of all time from a visual standpoint, due to the rock solid 60FPS and astounding good art direction.

Play it. It's amazing, like the other Prime games.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly part of it is just that the Prime games have stunning art styles so you notice the leaps more

Like, I played the series for the first time in 2014 and 15. Even OG GC Prime 2 I was like "holy shit" at the jump from Prime 1

Jan 11, 2018
Honestly part of it is just that the Prime games have stunning art styles so you notice the leaps more

Like, I played the series for the first time in 2014 and 15. Even OG GC Prime 2 I was like "holy shit" at the jump from Prime 1

Yeah, when you play them back to back to back the jumps are really obvious. They improved not only in tech, but art direction as well as the series went on.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I started Twilight Princess 3 times but always stopped playing at about the time I become Wolf Link due to the slow start and the muddy graphics.

I bought Twilight Princess HD but still haven't started it yet. It's still sealed. I'm too afraid of opening it and start playing and not liking it, devaluing my game lol.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
TP didn't age as well as I would have hoped. On a whim I decided to load it up on Dolphin today and... yeah, not so great. HD almost makes it worse because of how bad the textures are.

I haven't played Prime 3 in a long time so I don't know how well it holds up, but I remember thinking it was a great looking game at the time.

i think Metroid Prime 2 looks better than TP.

Hell, the original Metroid Prime looks better than Twilight Princess.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Metroid prime 1 has really good at direction so I'm not surprised

I played like 20 minutes of mp3 and it looked kinda washed out lol but that was just the beginning

Tp still remains my favorite Zelda though

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Anything Nintendo made on the GC looks better than Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess while a relatively decent Zelda game has not aged well.

Even the HD version which IMO improved it a lot, everything still looks drab, and it didn't help that there wasn't an improvement to the polygon count.

Jun 2, 2019
I started Twilight Princess 3 times but always stopped playing at about the time I become Wolf Link due to the slow start and the muddy graphics.

I bought Twilight Princess HD but still haven't started it yet. It's still sealed. I'm too afraid of opening it and start playing and not liking it, devaluing my game lol.

Shame, because if you liked Ocarina of time it's a great Zelda (essentially turboOoT), just not as colorful. Also TPHD introduced lots of QoL improvements.

The mandatory wolf sections before the first 3 dungeons are meh but not unbearable. If people can stomach 10 hours of Dead Stranding before "it gets good" then half an hour before each dungeon feels like a good plan. And the game has really good dungeons.

Also lol at people saying that the textures of TPHD are trash. Keep a leash on that hyperbole, guys

Sell it. Don't play it now. HD version is coming.

Is there confirmation for this? I was going to get it digital on Wii U

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
Never liked the way the characters looked in TP. Metroid Prime 3 has much better graphics/art style, runs 60fps the majority of the time. It looks way better, and shows a developer able to utilise the extreme power of the Wii.

Absolutely love the overloading phazon effect they implemented as well. Looks stunning to this day.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I really don't get the hate for the art of Twilight princess, I always thought it was a good looking game for the Gamecube generation.
MP3 looks a lot better though, as a kid it was one of the games that made me think the Wii could compete with PS360. (I know, kids) It's among the best looking games on the Wii, at 60FPS no less.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP I absolutely agree, but it's par for the course when you have one of the artstyles that aged best from that time period and one that aged the worst.

Jun 2, 2019
I played OoT for the first time this year, the 3ds one. Thought it was just Ok.

I think I'm one of those people who really values art style as my fave Zelda games are botw, wind waker and skyward sword.

Well, gameplay wise at least if you liked WW you should like this.

Now, artstyle wise... The LotR inspiration and forced "Mature Zelda" style will probably hurt the game for you

Still, i think you should give it a go. If it's value worries you, only the collectors edition with the amiibo has revalorised

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's funny now retrospective to look TP visuals and reactions.

I still remember all the complaining of Wind Waker Celda.

How the times change.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the amount of wrong opinions on Twilight Princess in this thread are really filling up my ignore list lol

Anyway, of course the game designed for wii years after launch is going to look better than the game that was basically just ported to wii after the GC version was already done

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the amount of wrong opinions on Twilight Princess in this thread are really filling up my ignore list lol

Anyway, of course the game designed for wii years after launch is going to look better than the game that was basically just ported to wii after the GC version was already done
MP3 came out less than a year after launch.

Jun 2, 2019
Of course there it nothing wrong in that.

But if we look back history and reactions WW got.

Kotaku article from 2013 is good reading.
https://kotaku.com/the-internets-2001-hate-for-one-of-the-most-beautiful-1441105533

Yeah, i remember that, i was there and wondered what the fuck the fuss was about (I was in my early adult years actually)

It's just thet when i see people speaking about WW they almost always despise TP almost in the same post. It bugs me, honestly.

The topic made me wat to play Metroid Prime again by the way.

I've looked but the Trilogy HD is basically a rumor? The temptation of buying it on Wii U is too strong. It's just 20 ā‚¬

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Yeah, i remember that, i was there and wondered what the fuck the fuss was about (I was in my early adult years actually)

It's just thet when i see people speaking about WW they almost always despise TP almost in the same post. It bugs me, honestly.

I've looked but the Trilogy HD is basically a rumor? The temptation of buying it on Wii U is too strong. It's just 20 ā‚¬
It's preeeetty heavily rumored, to the point that most insiders agree it exists. The story goes that it's complete and was intended to be announced and potentially released ages ago, but was shelved after MP4 rebooted so that it could be released closer to launch as part of the hype cycle.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
MP3 honestly is one of my favorite games of all times. I tried playing the other MP but just couldn't because the controls are so horrible. I hope MP4 uses the IR pointer but I'm sadly pessimistic about that.

Pc gamer here.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

I don't hate TP visuals. They are decent and some areas look quite good. I really like how many of the dungeons look. Still there are bad looking areas.

Especially Ordon village and Sacred Grove looks bad with flat lightning and muddy textures.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
MP3 honestly is one of my favorite games of all times. I tried playing the other MP but just couldn't because the controls are so horrible. I hope MP4 uses the IR pointer but I'm sadly pessimistic about that.

Pc gamer here.
Switch games can't use IR as a pointer, there needs to be a receiver (like the Wii sensor bar) which is rather impossible with the camera facing the player

Switch's IR Camera is used for games like Labo, Ring Fit, & Brain Age where it reads distance. Switch pointing is all gyro based which has its benefits but all in all isn't the same as Wii's pointing

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, TP was originally a GCN game that just got up-ported to the Wii while MP3 was a native Wii title, so it makes sense.

And yeah, TP's art direction is just bad. Trying too hard to appease people who were offended by TWW's cartoony style by making everything brown & grey, yet keeping the stylized character designs the franchise has used since OoT was a bad call. It's especially sad since this is the only 3D Zelda game to actually get a remake/remaster that didn't royally fuck up the original's art style, even if the environmental textures in TPHD look a bit like this:
axTj5wxna-e3p1Ko38Mb4nRibXGCMX6SBStqvCRHtEQ.png

Oct 29, 2017
Prime 3 did look pretty good, but a few months later Mario Galaxy overshadowed pretty much every other Wii game for the remaining of that generation until Galaxy 2 came out. I always felt it was quite the gap.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of the few people that likes the art direction of Twilight Princess, npcs aside, I think the muted palette works well. I actually prefer the way it looks to WW personally. I think Skyward Sword looks great as well thinking about it

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Switch games can't use IR as a pointer, there needs to be a receiver (like the Wii sensor bar) which is rather impossible with the camera facing the player

Switch's IR Camera is used for games like Labo, Ring Fit, & Brain Age where it reads distance. Switch pointing is all gyro based which has its benefits but all in all isn't the same as Wii's pointing
I don't hate the gyro aiming in BOTW but yeah it's not the same visceral feeling compared to Godfather Wii and MP3 shooting.

Speaking of godfather Wii, strangling people using the Wii ote was pretty surreal. Are there any games in the Switch that does something similar?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I think, considering that they're from different gens, this is only a modest leap.

Also while the textures were rough, TP's art direction was great. And before you even think of voicing your foolish opinions to the contrary, know that I'm a graphic designer so my opinion is objectively the correct one. This is irrefutable.
But seriously the art is wonderful and it deserved a better remaster than it got.