• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I had the very common left joycon drift issue after about nine months of use. Using contact cleaner helped, but you still need to apply every month or so. Just last week, my right joycon started drifting for the first time. If contact cleaner wasn't a thing, I'd be livid. I also find that my right trigger button doesn't input all of the time. This becomes very noticeable in games like Splatoon 2.

These crappy controllers are insanely expensive for how shoddily they are made. Besides having all kinds of issues, they aren't even a nice or comfortable controller to use.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
my launch model lasted me until recently, don't bother buying new joycons, just get a replacement stick from amazon, cost me £11 for 2, was easy to replace and took like 10min. Slighly fiddly but just watch a youtube vid.

Last edited:

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Oh snap you can open up the unit, does it void the warranty?
I don't think opening it up is any issue (at least in the US) but replacing the sticks with 3rd party ones and then sending it in might raise some eyebrows. But I'll be honest I've never sent anything into Ninty for repairs before.

Personally, I think it's worth it for the couple hour's worth of time it would take to replace the stick vs. the week(s) to send it to Nintendo.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Electric contact cleaner will help, it's worked with both of my Joycons and is a painless workaround for now. With that said, I really really hope they end up fixing the problem either for the Switch or its successor, it's pretty annoying that we have to deal with this 3 years after launch, not to mention other problems the Joycon have.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Got drift once again on my joycons today. Same pair twice. Incredibly disappointing.

I guess I'll try repairing since buying replacement Joycons would be pointless and their repair center seems to be closed anyway.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Just as it was with the Xbox 360, Nintendo will not acknowledge this and fully fix it until they're forced to. The gaming press has given them a pass, as have most of the fans, so things will continue as they are.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
its really frustrating to hear how big of an issue this is. i've experienced it, replaced it once, and then had it again but they wanted to charge 40 for a replacement so I decided not to. They eventually started doing the repairs for free again but i hadn't really noticed any more issue so I never did. Been lucky so far that it doesn't really happen much if any anymore, but I imagine it lies silently, waiting for that perfect moment to fuck me over lol

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
My left Joy-Con recently started drifting too, after three years. It's super minor, to the extent that I'm pretty sure most games no issue would never manifest, but it's just enough to be a problem in Animal Crossing.

In general it's not detectable, but if I need to make adjustments the angle I'm facing, it'll shift several degrees further to the right than I intend if the adjustment is anywhere on the right half of the rotational arc, including the 0 and 180 degree marks. That seems hyper specific, but ultimately it's enough to cause me constant issues trying to point at the correct angle while fishing.

Also, any amount of detected movement on the left stick will prevent the screen from being tilted to see the sky, even if it's so little that for everything else the game would just ignore it. Which means to look at the sky I *have* to tap the left stick left once, or else the drift will kick in and block me. It took me forever to figure out what was happening, and I missed out on several shooting stars because the screen would refuse to tilt up for several attempts.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
I luckily haven't had any drift somehow after very intense use of 3+ years, but sooo many people I know have had to send these in for repairs.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a different issue.

both of my right JoyCons constantly lose sync with the console when playing docked. Some times there is a long lag or it won't recognize button presses at all and I'll look over and see the lights flashing as it tries to reconnect.

The problem gets worse the longer the play session goes. I have no idea how to fix it.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Finally had it develop on my favorite set of joycons, so now I'm just sitting on them until repairs start up again.

At least once they got called out on it they started doing free repairs but it's pretty gross that it took them as long as they did and the problem is still developing on new units.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I have also completely given up on Joycons and have been going the 8BitDo route. It's nice.

Randomly busted out a dusty Nunchuk controller for my Wii that's been sitting in a drawer for over half a decade because I wanted to play some Super Mario Galaxy again recently, and it still works perfectly, so... I don't get it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's disappointing. I bought a $20 repair kit from Amazon and replaced mine. Came with two so I have an extra for when the replacement eventually starts to do the same. LOL

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I must've hit the lottery because my launch day Switch doesn't have any drift. The only thing that's a minor issue is the signal possibly dropping through dense furniture. But I've remedied that with a Pro Controller which I use 90% of the times these days.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's flat out unacceptable. I don't understand how Nintendo, famous for durable hardware, is able to get away with this.

Honestly, just get an 8bitdo or a Magic NS and deal with the headache of having to pull out the Joycons for amiibos.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I swear I'm going to start taking shots everytime someone mentions contact cleaner in a thread about this issue. Nintendo should've fixed this issue a long time ago.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I bought a Pro controller last week since my Joy Con from my Mario Odyssey switch finally started to drift. Started to get it in Animal Crossing which was driving me crazy.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I swear I'm going to start taking shots everytime someone mentions contact cleaner in a thread about this issue. Nintendo should've fixed this issue a long time ago.
Lol, it's because at this point Joycons should come with a can of that shit for free, that's how terrible and widespread the problem is.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
So glad with how lucky I've been. Had a Switch since launch, have 2 sets of Joy Cons and 4 Pro controllers and not a single drift problem *touch wood*

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
i got a 3rd party controller(specifically one that attaches in handheld mode) and never went through it again, after going through two pairs of joycons.

highly recommend people do that. dealing with contact solution, repairs etc etc is tiring as heck

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Drift is the only reason I have yet to purchase one, them porting Pikmin trilogy would force my hand and make me buy one ASAP.

I hope they fix it sooner than later. :/

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
2 months of sporadic use.. and im now going on the 3rd pair... im so fucking pissed. I LOVE the pink/green combo and these are brand fucking new... at this point... im going to keep returning them and swapping for new ones. As long as walmart and target accept returns... even if the controllers arent broken yet... i will return and replace every 30 days so i always have new ones.

fuck nintendo for these pieces of shit.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It's flat out unacceptable. I don't understand how Nintendo, famous for durable hardware, is able to get away with this.

Honestly, just get an 8bitdo or a Magic NS and deal with the headache of having to pull out the Joycons for amiibos.
Don't know about durable hardware. An old DS lite of ours had one of the screens that would randomly shut off and the hinge was cracked, falling apart and would no longer hold. Then my OG 3ds had flickering screens depending on how it was opened and the top screen would get scratched when closed. I guess both fall under issues with clam shell design though

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Literally the main reason I won't buy a Switch Lite and won't buy a hypothetical Switch 2 without confirmation they have fixed the issue. Having to buy another set of $80 controllers every 3-6 months is unacceptable.

My launch 3DS XL is still kicking like new after 7 years and thousands of hours of heavy use. I guess I got lucky on that one.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a Mayflash Magic-NS wireless controller and connect my 360 controller to my switch. It even works with my Madcatz Street Fighter IV TE joysticks. So definitely happy.

I did send a pair back to nintendo to fix and now they're starting to drift a little again. I'll wait for Nintendo to reopen and send them in for repairs. Hopefully it'll cost them more and more money to do this until they decide to provide a permanent solution.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I can't even play in handheld mode because of this dumb shit. I finally spent the money on a Pro controller to play docked (even in spite of *that* having a shitty D-Pad) but wasn't aware that those are prone to drifting after time too.

I don't know how this shit is acceptable, man.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
It is the worst thing. My repaired joycons started drifting again.

I've been thinking of getting another pair but it seems like even the latest batches are still affected? It just sucks so much.

It is the worst thing. My repaired joycons started drifting again.

I've been thinking of getting another pair but it seems like even the latest batches are still affected? It just sucks so much.
Do not bother it still happens. I was a dummy and went through like 4 pair before I decided to just play docked exclusively which ended up killing my interest as a platform because it's not really good as home console imo.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
The electrical contact cleaner lasted a few months for me. On my second application so far, so long as this it doesn't eventually permanently break down, I'm okay with it.

It sounds like it would be annoying in XB2. It became a huge issue with me in Dragon Quest 11, where directional input on the stick would skip dialogue boxes. That... was not fun to deal with.
All i have is a guitar polish/cleaner, would that work?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I had a right one start going thanks to some recent Dark Souls play. Someone else did it(repeatedly poping the right stick in to lock on, imagine) and i went to play botw wild this weekend and...

"oh its losing connection again"

" no wait. I think its starting to drift. Fuuuck"

" oh. its both. "

Super shitty. Ordered a third party controller. I like the joycons in a lot of ways, but it they arent reliable, they cannot be good. I'll blow mine out with cleaner, but im offically soured.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a new set just a few weeks ago because the drift made Animal Crossing unplayable. My girlfriend has out over a hundred hours in since then and I'm just waiting for it to start all over again. Nintendo should be ashamed of this problem.

OP
OP
Slushimi

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
i got a 3rd party controller(specifically one that attaches in handheld mode) and never went through it again, after going through two pairs of joycons.

highly recommend people do that. dealing with contact solution, repairs etc etc is tiring as heck
Which ones if I may ask?