• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I've experience Joy-Con drift in the past. The high price of the controller combined with the inevitability of it happening definitely annoys me, but today reminded me why the Dual Shock 3 is the most frustrating controller I've ever owned in my life.

So I've been prepping to sell my PS3 on eBay, and while testing the games out to make sure everything works, my Dualshock 3 went haywire. Basically, every now and then buttons will randomly press themselves. I'll press X and O will press instead, I'll hit L3 and every button on the right side of the controller will activate, etc. I can still use the controller to play the game, but this sort of thing happens every few minutes or so.

The thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened. I've had this exact issue with three other controllers over the years (granted one of those was a third party controller, but still). I think I've had one PS3 controller that this exact issue didn't happen to, but that's because that controller has a different problem where buttons just decide to not work period at random intervals.

Are the PS3's controllers notoriously faulty? Like, has this sort of thing happened to you guys? Or did I just get incredibly unlucky on five different occasions over a decade? Can you think of a faultier controller for a console?

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a PS3 controller have the issues you described, but my L2 got stuck about a decade ago and it was hell to open it up and fix it.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Only problem I remember having with the DS3 was the garbage, outdated design.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
A few years ago I bought a used PS3 as I hadn't had one in a while and it took four trips back to the shop to exchange controllers, all first party, til one worked. One of them I remember just drifted right constantly. I probably had three different PS3s in my life, from launch to slim, and I remember pairing and charging were constant issues as well. I do hate rumble though so I appreciated the light weight original PS3 controller when it functioned properly.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the trigger springs launching themselves across the room every time I opened one up to fix lol

I was never too hard on mine but literally everyone else I knew with a PS3 had some kind of fault with their controllers. IIRC the most common issue was the left thumbstick twisting freely like a dial, so your thumb would slide off every time you tried to use it.

Granted, we were all shitty kids.

Anecdotally, the joycons are still more faulty inherently, since analog drifting is basically guaranteed to happen at some point due to the contact pad design, regardless of how gentle you are. :'(

Last edited:

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Had like four controllers back then and only one got messed up for some reason (probably because I dropped it) but other than that, nothing really.

Now 360 controllers, those were the ones. Literally every one I used got the drift during that gen.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I've had none of the issue you described. In fact, throughout my entire history of PS controller, I've nary had an issue. Sorry OP.

Jun 23, 2019
Never had an issue like that. Joycons have been an absolute nightmare and I'm still waiting on mine to come back from Nintendo.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
With old controllers you have to clean or replace the rubber pads inside every once in a while so they function properly op. They were out or get sticky with time

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never experienced anything like that before on PS3, could there be something wrong with your consoles USB port or Bluetooth?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just found out this is indeed common with PS3 controllers after I've had my second controller go with the same problems you've described. Just search "PS3 random buttons fix" or something on YouTube and you can find tutorials to replace the foam pads inside the controller apparently so the connection works better.

Seems astonishingly faulty to me, never heard of another controller having this problem specifically, but apparently it's not too hard to fix.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've got 2 PS3 controllers that are perfectly fine. One was barely used, but the other was used a couple hundred hours and is fine other than some natural wear. Joycons though are laughable, every single one has failed out of 10+ with drifting.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Outside a battery swelling due to seemingly lack of use, I've never had one of my DS3s have any kind of problem until the last couple years when one started drifting. The other one has major battery charge problems, but I gamed like I junky so I'm sure these are "my fault" and I can't argue with that. lol. lol

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I have a six axis and a dual shock 3 and both have worked perfectly the entire time I've had them

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Here's a video to prove you're not crazy OP, this guy claims it's inevitable for most PS3 controllers. I assume most people in here haven't touched one for years.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no.. never had a sixaxis fail on me. The joycons on the other hand Jesus Christ what a trash product.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have six sony dual shock 3s and four sony sixaxis controllers and they actually work better today than when i bought them

thank you sony

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Had 3 dualshock 3s and 1 sixaxis. Never had any issues.

Joycons however drifted and sl/sr stopped working on both controllers after 9 months. Sent them for repairs and drift started again after 1 month. Fuck them joycons.

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is an inevitable problem as a foam inside the controller will harden over time and lose contact. There is an easy fix for it though.

However, I can't find anyway to fix my motion sensor, so games like Folklore and No More Heroes are unplayable for me.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Still have my original rumble PS3 controller, played the living shit out of that console, never had issues with it functionally... Switch? I barely played it and babied that console and got stick drift.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
I only ever had a SIXAXIS, never a Dualshock 3. Used it for 10+ years without any wear or issues. Aside from rumble, was there a meaningful difference? Different parts or build quality?

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
The thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened. I've had this exact issue with three other controllers over the years (granted one of those was a third party controller, but still). I think I've had one PS3 controller that this exact issue didn't happen to, but that's because that controller has a different problem where buttons just decide to not work period at random intervals.

'but still'? you're specifically complaining about ps3 controllers. what does a third-party controller have to do with anything? other than maybe suggesting that it's something you yourself are doing to the controllers, & that it doesn't really matter who makes them...

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"May drift" sounds like it isnt a widespread problem. Mine started drifting after having it for some weeks. Dont like the dual shock 3 at all but for that price joy cons are the worst. It should be a 30 buck product for that quality, it shouldn't be 70.

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Where and when did you buy them? For the several years, authentic ds3's have been very hard to find. The market is FLOODED with fakes that experience all of the issues you are describing.

Also what kinda ps3 you sellin? BC ps2 playin phat boy by any chance?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Awful controller, can't believe it was actually a revision of the Sixaxis, they pretty much just had to make a wireless version of the DS2. The three controllers I had broke, some pretty soon, until I decided that wouldn't become a retro console on my collection.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
I know that issue OP, I had 2 DS3's with that. I think pressing L3 triggers it or if you press any of the buttons too hard. Random inputs would happen. I would usually smack it with my palm to make it stop lol

Oct 25, 2017
I still have 4 DS3s and 2 Sixaxis controllers, all at least 10yo, all still work fine.

Never heard of any of the issues you're describing, whereas Joy-Con Drift is widely known about, and I personally experience it regularly.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'll pipe in and say I've had exactly the issue that the OP is describing - with an official controller that came with my slim, even.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
nope, dualshock 3 have been sturdy as hell in my experience and owning many of them.
Dualshock 4 tho, they may start drifting from week 2 or month 1. I hate em.

CadobaDelta

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
I chewed through four DualShock 3s and two third-party controllers over the course of two years. Every single controller would, within a week of first being used, develop severe drift issues. It made just about every game virtually unplayable. At this point, I suspect the console of being the problem, but that whole saga was infuriating.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Aside from battery in controllers turning to shit. I cant remember one issue ive had where it wasn't through mine or my kids fault.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
My PS3 controller shat itself too. R3 died after 1 years.

Also it was genuinely one of the worst ergonomics ever.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't think I experienced it.
But I had 5 PS4 controllers because 4 of them had different problems (drift, shoulder buttons, ...).

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
Bought 2 controllers with precisely that issue, which was an easy fix.

But still, who at Sony though the brittle foam is the best way to keep pressure on contact pad?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only issues I had with the DS3 is the loose sticks and the triggers being bad. Though both I got used to.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Here's a video to prove you're not crazy OP, this guy claims it's inevitable for most PS3 controllers. I assume most people in here haven't touched one for years.

I have 4 PS3 controllers (one is a sixaxis), still regularly use them and I've never had any issues as described by the OP.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Never had this issue (yet?) with my DS3 from PS3 Slim (bought in 2010), still working and will be playing Sly 1 HD soon 🤞

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
OEM DualShock 3s have been pretty hefty to me.

I've had multiple PS3s in my house since 2006. All my SIXAXIS controllers were terrible. Drift, creaking case. ehhh..

As for the DS3s, one of them broke when falling off a table, but otherwise, they all still work this many years later, with 1000s of hours of playtime on them.

I've put a combined total of about 20-40 hours on my Switch, and totally babied it, and one of my Joycons is not staying connected to the system anymore. It clicks into place, but then will just slide back out. :(

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never had an issue with my PS3 controller, and I had the OG fat console

Also, I don't see how anything could be worse than drift on the controller

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
What timing. This literally just happened to me and my controller turned my console off.

Glad to hear the fix is easy. Will have to try that!

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
I only ever use a joystick for PS3 these days but I recall the DS3 rubber thumbsticks turning to goo rendering the pad unusable

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
The only problematic DS3 I have is the red DS3 that is included with God Of War. My other three DS3 is still fine.
Meanwhile, I have two faulty DS4. One broken D-Pad. Another one, faulty usb port. I can buy two DS4 and still have change compared to buying one Joycon.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Three DualShock 4 controllers broke on me (Sony replaced them all). That's a grand total of three broken controllers throughout my time gaming and I owned a PS3 from launch. I'd therefore put the DS4 down as the worst but I don't have much faith in my current DualSense being my last....

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Other than batteries shitting the bed and barely charging anymore, I've never had any mechanical issues with my DualShocks.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I had 4 Dualshock 3 for 7 years with 0 issues.

Each side of my Switch joycons got a particular issue within 3 months of use.
And I refuse to buy another pair, it's ridiculous for how pricey they are in my country.