• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joker or Lex Luthor

• The Joker

Votes: 126 63.6%
  • Lex Luthor

Votes: 72 36.4%

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
This is a DC counterpart to my Doctor Doom and Magneto thread. So these two are the biggest and most iconic villains in the DC universe. Of the two who do you like better as a villain, character, has better stories, etc.

The Joker:

EIeVn5IXYAArIk2.jpg

Lex Luthor:

fc68bffaa6c2dced1569712fd4344368.jpg

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Lex is more fun overall. I have a big soft spot for silver age Joker and the Hamil/Nicholson/Bennett portrayals though

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Joker is a better overall villain, but Luthor is the better character.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Joker was always going to win this.

I voted for Luthor though as I am very tired of the Joker being overused in the comics.
And everywhere else.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I voted Luthor, though Joker has had the best moments and portrayals overall. Some of the more recent Joker stuff has been very good, but they've just got a bit carried away with The Joker in recent years.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lex Luthor is pretty interesting insofar as he is his own worst enemy. He has no real need to be a supervillain and there's no real animosity between him and Clark, yet he insists on starting shit all the time because he hates the idea of Superman being better than him.

It's like the pettiest reason to be a bad guy ever and, even worse, if he instead focused his efforts on working with the Justice League to protect Earth from extraterrestrial threats I'm pretty sure there ain't a damn thing in any universe that could pose a danger to humanity and he'd be beloved for it.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Modern Lex Luthor has understandable motivations, his crimes make sense, and are unfortunately believable.

I am just getting sick of the Joker, and wish someone besides Rosenbaum would make a halfway decent Luthor.

EDIT: For example, remember when the idea of Lex Luthor being president was stupid?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
lex is my favorite villain of all time, the perfect foil for superman and a realistic villain for our times

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
For cartoons Joker.
For movies/comics Lex.

That's not to say Lex is bad in cartoons, but it is to say I feel like Joker is both over used and under valued in movies and comics. There's been several big Joker stories in comics over the past few years and they all felt super samey. I'd like it if they toned down Joker's brutality and obsession with Batman, it's now just feeling overdone.

Luthor's at his best when it's pretty clear how close he is to not being an evil shit head. I like him when he's on that line of the "I don't want to cure cancer I want to turn everyone into dinosaurs/kill Superman." He goes the evil way every time, but there's something interesting in his awareness of how close he is to not being a villain if he just gave a shit.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I like The Joker more as a villain but Lex is the more interesting character (and criminally underused movie-wise)

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Red Son showed what Lex would do once there was/if there was no Superman - singlehandedly usher in a Golden Age for Humanity.

Damn it Clark, you fucked us!

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Luthor is so great in the DCAU and I just haven't enjoyed any live action portrayal of him. I'd kill for a straight up adaptation of the three part World's Finest episodes from Superman The Animated Series.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Remember when Luthor became all powerful and he could keep it on the condition that he doesn't harm ANYTHING? Guess the first thing he tries to do with his power.....

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lex. I'm going to paraphrase an old article I read on the subject that really stood out to me to explain it.

Joker is actually a very simple character. His primary motivation is to beat Batman. To prove Batman can fall, thus proving that everything Batman stands for can also fall. This has remained his primary motivation since pretty much the beginning.

But with Lex, beating Superman is not the goal. Superman is an obstacle for him to overcome. Lex feels like he can do whatever he want to whoever he wants. He doesn't see other people as people, he sees them as property. His property. And then Superman shows up to stop him. To inspire people. He shows up to tell Lex that he can't just do whatever he wants anymore. And Lex hates that more than anything. (This is also why you occasionally see Lex turn against other villains. They could run around and damage his property.)

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Joker is wonderful, but Lex is one of the best literary characters ever made, imo, especially as a foil to Superman.

On one hand, you have Superman, who is obviously not human, but embodies all of the greatest traits humanity has to offer. On the other hand, you have Lex Luthor, who is a human and was given every opportunity to succeed, and he embodies all of the worst traits humanity has to offer. Every awful thing, every crime, every shitty thing humanity can think of - he's done it. And beyond his actions, he's also a coward, an opportunist, a sleaze, insecure, addicted, self-serving and every other negative adjective out there.

And the great tragedy of the character is that he doesn't actually need to be that way to get what he wants. He wants to save humanity, and he's got the brains, wealth, connections, and position to do it. There is absolutely nothing stopping him from getting what he wants... except himself. He can't let go of his anger and jealousy and hatred, and it completely blocks him from his own goals. He could be everything he wants to be, and a greater hero than even Superman, but he just can't shake his own insecurities. And those insecurities and hatred cause him to be the worst human being on the planet instead of Earth's savior.

It's tragedy on a Shakespearean scale, wrapped up in a comic book.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Joker is wonderful, but Lex is one of the best literary characters ever made, imo, especially as a foil to Superman.

On one hand, you have Superman, who is obviously not human, but embodies all of the greatest traits humanity has to offer. On the other hand, you have Lex Luthor, who is a human and was given every opportunity to succeed, and he embodies all of the worst traits humanity has to offer. Every awful thing, every crime, every shitty thing humanity can think of - he's done it. And beyond his actions, he's also a coward, an opportunist, a sleaze, insecure, addicted, self-serving and every other negative adjective out there.

And the great tragedy of the character is that he doesn't actually need to be that way to get what he wants. He wants to save humanity, and he's got the brains, wealth, connections, and position to do it. There is absolutely nothing stopping him from getting what he wants... except himself. He can't let go of his anger and jealousy and hatred, and it completely blocks him from his own goals. He could be everything he wants to be, and a greater hero than even Superman, but he just can't shake his own insecurities. And those insecurities and hatred cause him to be the worst human being on the planet instead of Earth's savior.

It's tragedy on a Shakespearean scale, wrapped up in a comic book.

Remember how when Superman vanished for a year and Luthor did NOTHING during that time except plan for Superman's return? Your write up is a perfect summation of his character.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Joker is always going to be more popular since he's become the definitive sinister clown character, but I like Lex more. His motivations are a lot more interesting.