• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I love this scene so much, because the passage of time did a huge number on it. It's gone from homer looking crazy out of touch, to now the "kid" suddenly looking insanely out of touch.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That "kid" is me, grown up, and now I'm Homer, soon to be Gramdpa Abe.
fe687a4eaf186b55e11c0a39827184d0.jpg

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'm so divorced from the context here that I don't even understand the intended joke. Send help.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That entire episode makes me sad now. I knew all those bands growing up, there were my childhood. Now kids watching this episode now would call them the "dinosaur bands."

I'm so divorced from the context here that I don't even understand the intended joke. Send help.

The episode aired in 1996. Back then, Apple Computers was in dire straights and irrelevant in the face of the juggernaut that was Windows PCs. The joke being the young Gen X kid doesn't know what they are because that are so insignificant and Homer is behind the times to not know this. Only a couple years after the episode aired, Steve Jobs would come back to the company, the iMac would be released and...

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Homer feels old and out of touch when his kids don't relate to his music. So he decides to go to a music store and is surprised to find they dont' stock records anymore. So he starts going off about projects started by steve jobs, "the guy behind apple computers" and the record store clerk has no idea what he's talking about.

The joke was supposed to be Homer can't keep up with the latest trends at the music store, and only knows old computers. Today, however, the concept of a music store in and of itself is outdated, and if you didn't know who apple was you'd sound like you were a thousand years old.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Homer feels old and out of touch when his kids don't relate to his music. So he decides to go to a music store and is surprised to find they dont' stock records anymore. So he starts going off about projects started by steve jobs, "the guy behind apple computers" and the record store clerk has no idea what he's talking about.
Actually the joke refers to Wozniak. The kid claims that the "Hullabaloo Festival" is the greatest musical festival of all time, which Homer questions and replies that the US Festival was actually the greatest festival of all time, which was in part put on by "that guy from Apple Computers" Steve Wozniak.