• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've kind of realized is that...I think I'm just bored of current generation consoles which is why I prefer to examine what developers are doing with the systems rather than looking at frame-rate, resolution and other such things. That just isn't interesting at this point as the machines are all old news. Moreover, they're all so similar that multi-platform differences just aren't interesting at all. They USED to be super interesting which is why I like checking out retro games in this way.

Maybe next-gen will help make this interesting again but I suspect they'll all be similar again.

Yeah, that kind of stuff is always more interesting at the start of a gen. Even I as a multi-platform owner could get caught up in the head to heads. I didn't get emotionally invested in it, but it was fun to see the differences. Now, I'm mostly just interested in that kind of information as a quick way to determine which version to get, so it's mostly only interesting when the results are outliers.

The real meat of you guys' videos is in the explanations and highly detailed descriptions you guys are able to give. I learn a lot from those, and while I can't pretend to always fully understand it all, I'm usually able to get a grasp of what it is developers are doing, and what techniques they can use to save on rendering budget and excel in overall results.

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as I saw rocket knight adventures on DF retro I clicked. Couldn't watch the whole playthrough because I was watching it in bed and fell asleep around the 'mirror effect' stage.
I can tell it's not your first time playing too, you know all the hidden 1ups and all the tactics against bosses haha.
Fuck, this game is so good, makes me really miss the times when this was considered a newly released AAA game.
It's incredible the amount of trickery going on on these games due to hardware limitations and how they managed to overcome them and go beyond what they thought was possible at the time

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wanted to check this thread because I was somehow surprised at the lack of videos for recent (Switch ports) releases - thought you guy would've maybe taken a much earned vacation..

After reading the last few pages I just wanted to add that I always enjoy and anticipate the moment when a new DF video drops. I always enjoy the insight you guys give into the tech aspects and the fps comparison is often my most anticipated part in these videos. It's actually nice that you guys are very positive about the games you feature (well, only if it's not a complete disaster :P ). Most of the time you stay objective about the technical aspects and then report your personal feelings about frame drops or slight technical shortcomings in these games which is also a little flavor that I tend to enjoy.

Dark1x Don't let yourself be pushed around by bad social media comments. You will always have people that dislike what you do - and they will most likely always be louder than the people that silently like, upvote and suscribe to your videos and appreciate what you do. There's loads of people that like me enjoy the in depth reports you do on new and old games and it would be a shame if the negativety of some bad voices could burn out your enjoyment and obvious passion for making content. I hope you feel better soon and find a way to not let those idiots get to you.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
No no, it's not that. I expected those numbers.

There have been a lot of people harassing me over Gears 5, basically, and it's really kinda broken me. I'm starting to get the impression that people don't want presentation style, pseudo-educational style videos as the feedback against it being overly positive is really harsh. Those are the videos I really enjoy making, though, and I hate being caught in fanboy warfare.
I'm not a content creator, so I don't know if this is viable but maybe for exclusive consider locking down the comments as some channels do. Your content is awesome and the interest you guys show for technical analysis of any game is unparalled, it's a real shame to see fanboy console war shit downing you for daring to be positive about a game you liked.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the df gears video it has 8600 upvotes and 337 downvotes. So that's only 3.92% downvotes, which suggests it was a very good video for those who watched it.

Sounds like it's just a very vocal minority being idiots as always. Better to just ignore them tbh

Legomuscles

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool to want to have a conversation with the community, but you just need to disconnect and keep doing what you are doing. You literally cannot please everyone and trolls will never starve if they keep being fed by reaction.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Always been a fan of your work John. As a multi-platform owner. I regularly resort to you guys to determine the best version of a game to get. You always bring the knowledge and well informed analysis that I always trust and appreciate.

And you know what they say..... If you have haters, then you must be doing something right ;)

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry makes entertaining content and that is why, above all else, I love the videos. The technical side of games can easily be made uninteresting, but John and the crew over at DF are the only ones producing this kind of technical content that I will sit through from beginning to end. I know it ain't easy, but keep it up.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, you have got to be very pathetic to throw shit at anyone working at DF for their content. There's absolutely no validity to any hate. It's not like you guys are ever actually biased or sensationalist. You back everything up, are thorough and fair.

John, you rock.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
One thing I've kind of realized is that...I think I'm just bored of current generation consoles which is why I prefer to examine what developers are doing with the systems rather than looking at frame-rate, resolution and other such things. That just isn't interesting at this point as the machines are all old news. Moreover, they're all so similar that multi-platform differences just aren't interesting at all. They USED to be super interesting which is why I like checking out retro games in this way.

Maybe next-gen will help make this interesting again but I suspect they'll all be similar again.

Talking about retro games, any plans on making a Devil May Cry series Retro video?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

All I'm seeing here is a good excuse for more retro content.

You know we're about that. And even those of us who still hit each other with canes while arguing about 16-bit console wars have an appreciation for your craft.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
There won't be any DF Retro content until John and I finish this Alfred Chicken 120 min+ retrospective.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, things are really bad today. Like...really bad. Not sure what to do right now.

I know it's basically impossible to do when your job is to put yourself out there, but try and shut it all out. Pay the losers no mind. It's human nature to basically zero in on the few negative comments out of the hundreds of positive comments, which is also exasperated because not everyone who loves what you do will take the time to tell you, while people love to hate.

Among your peers in the youtube world, you know you're very well respected. Talked to Modern Vintage Gamer, retroRGB, LGR, etc, they all know you and like you very much. Know a lot of demosceners who watch your show frequently. Remember Oerg866? Big fan of your show. Who cares what angry some mouth breather at Gamerz.com thinks? You know the routine: never read the comments, etc.

I'm sorry that so many people are cruel, though.

EDIT: Also, you ever take any trips to the states for conferences or anything like that? If so, let me know the next time you're on this side of the world. I'm no stranger to driving multiple states to meet people, I'd love to grab a bite to eat sometime or something.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One last thing I'd like to add re: your content

I find it refreshing to find a series which is overwhelmingly about raving about games, rather than tearing them down. I find most youtube reviews to be overly cynical or angry. The shows that are overtly positive, that seem to love what they're covering, are my favorites. Your show actually reminds me quite a bit of another show I like in terms of presentation and positive attitude: Splash Wave.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I thought that this was a new thread when it popped out, but I will still write a little something about Dark1x . John, I just wanted to thank you for your awesome videos and work, you are one of my favorite people to watch on YouTube. Whenever there is a video from DF, I'm alway going in my head "please, let it be John, let it be John". I love the DF crew, but you are definitely my favorite. I love how nice and positive you always are, its such a nice change of pace. I even watch your DF Retro for games that I don't care for like Daytona USA (I don't like racing games), because you are videos are always so delightful.

Anyway, thank you for all of your hard work!

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot of hard- and software needed to get direct footage from every system and especially DS and 3DS should be rather hard.
Not to mention the amount of time it would take to go through them all, and I think he tends to prefer to cover titles that haven't already been widely discussed already. There are plenty of Rayman 2 comparisons out there, though probably not as comprehensive as a DF Retro episode would be.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I find it refreshing to find a series which is overwhelmingly about raving about games, rather than tearing them down. I find most youtube reviews to be overly cynical or angry. The shows that are overtly positive, that seem to love what they're covering, are my favorites. Your show actually reminds me quite a bit of another show I like in terms of presentation and positive attitude: Splash Wave.

100% Agree. Too much negativity in the world for me to spend 20 minutes or more of my time watching a Youtuber nitpick something to death.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Just want to chime in and say that John, you're doing great work; Love your videos!

Shush, I wanna see my long awaited DF retro edition of every Rayman 2 port first - DS included.

I want this! Been holding off my replay of it until the definitive version is decided upon!

Dont forget the IOS version!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If john ever needs to capture 3DS or DS footage, I have a 3DS capture device he can borrow, I trust him enough.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Among your peers in the youtube world, you know you're very well respected. Talked to Modern Vintage Gamer, retroRGB, LGR, etc, they all know you and like you very much. Know a lot of demosceners who watch your show frequently. Remember Oerg866? Big fan of your show. Who cares what angry some mouth breather at Gamerz.com thinks? You know the routine: never read the comments, etc.
That's hardly a surprise, he's literally "one of us" who's somehow managed to infiltrate a media outlet and produce content that we actually want. I imagine John has exponentially more fans than people who barely give seconds just to do a drive-by comment on a YT video.

Didn't know Oerg866 was a fan, either. Maybe one day John could do some kind of teardown/analysis of TiTaN's MD productions with him somehow.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised people dish out abuse to Digital Foundry, it's the internet after all, but somehow I still am. Basically the only video game outlet I would consider know their shit inside out. Experts in their field that I suspect are used as a reference point by the rest of video games media, whether they choose to admit it or not.. Anything else video games related I consume is not for information. Even when I disagree (on Stadia for example), the arguments are always so coherent that you have to tip your hat and go "that's cool man".

Deleted member 5582

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, things are really bad today. Like...really bad. Not sure what to do right now.

Hey John,

I love your videos. I hope it's worth the while to keep making them, and that it's enjoyable for you, and that toxicity doesn't get the better of you. If not, I appreciate you for authenticity and your point of view however and wherever you choose to share that.

Do you have hobbies unrealted to video games or tech? Especially something you could share with your family. It might be good to focus on that stuff when you aren't working. At least avoid reading youtube comments or twitter in off work hours.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love your videos. I hope it's worth the while to keep making them, and that it's enjoyable for you, and that toxicity doesn't get the better of you. If not, I appreciate you for authenticity and your point of view however and wherever you choose to share that.

Do you have hobbies unrealted to video games or tech? Especially something you could share with your family. It might be good to focus on that stuff when you aren't working. At least avoid reading youtube comments or twitter in off work hours.

I collaborated with John on a video and I don't know how he does this. The amount of work that goes into a video is insane. That's just the work load, I couldn't imagine going through all that and then having some snotty brats on the internet come and harass me over it. I like doing things and projects on my own schedule, he actually adheres to consistently putting out videos. I couldn't do it, personally.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I love your retrospectives. 16/24-bit is the best era of console gaming. Continue making videos for the games you grew up enjoying. It's your enthusiasm for these games that I find infectious.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never mind the haters, they have miserable lives with nothing better to do than harrass a good soul

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
By the way, hope you cover technically impressive N64 games like Indiana Jones, Battle for Naboo, World Driver Championship and more soon

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
John's probably the best guy at DF especially with his retro stuff like Doom, Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, and his every 32x games videos

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Dark1x , one of my dearest unfulfilled wishes regarding DF would be a review of the SPC-700 sound chip. Have you thought of making a video about it?

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Nah, cos it's shit. YM2612 for lyfe!
images

ACellarDoor

Mar 4, 2019

Very much agree. There is no joy to be had in some of the content these days. Great point!

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Since I was a member of GAF, and DF Retro was introduced to DF, I was always watching and waiting like a small child for the new DF Retro episodes, I really enjoy them, especially I must admit John has a really a great way to describe the whole technical stuff, since Dictator was taken into the team I love their team up technical analysis especially the Turok bit.
Also really cool that John and Dictator live both in Berlin :)

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
DF is one of the few gaming YouTube channels I consistently watch. Your passion and knowledge are just amazing.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
John, we love you and your incredible work. Even if some dipshits on the internet give you a hard time, just know that you have amassed a hord of loyal fans ready to back you up whenever you need. You are my favourite creator on Youtube. Please try to keep your head up. :)

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Let's not rank them now. They're all awesome. Dark1x , Dictator , Rich, Thom, and whoever else is behind the scenes: we luv ya <3.
Thanks and, yeah, the whole team is awesome. Love working with these guys! That includes the fifth "behind the scenes" member - Will! He does a lot of PC hardware stuff and he's amazing at handling it all! :-)

Thanks for all the kind words!

Status
Not open for further replies.