• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
John, your DF Retro videos are the single best thing in my YouTube feed, and that's saying something. I also like Richard and Alex's videos, but yours are top.

Harassers need a cerebral bore to the head, but in lieu of that just block liberally and remember that the thousands of views are happy fans, the hate is unacceptable but it's also the minority.

Stay strong, hope you feel better soon.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
No no, it's not that. I expected those numbers.

There have been a lot of people harassing me over Gears 5, basically, and it's really kinda broken me. I'm starting to get the impression that people don't want presentation style, pseudo-educational style videos as the feedback against it being overly positive is really harsh. Those are the videos I really enjoy making, though, and I hate being caught in fanboy warfare.
I saw some posts I think you're referring to. It's good that you're communicating directly with some of your critics now, I hope things come around and you can clarify certain misunderstandings.

I know it's easier said than done, but don't let it get to you on that emotional level. I love how you seem to put your heart and soul into this stuff, but if people being as harsh as they are gets to you too much, you're going to suffer from what you initially loved doing. Don't let it drag you down.

Some of your posts related to the above mentioned ones really seem worrying to me and make me incredibely sad.
Take care of yourself, John, and don't let yourself be drowned by the negativity. And, please, even as a random internet stranger, don't do something dumb. Reading the stuff in some of your responses really hurts, even if you're emotionally overreacting to a certain extent as you said.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's all stemmed from a flat earth style "truth-seeking" Playstation Fanboy channel who has "exposed" Digital Foundry for having a discussion with the Coalition prior to making the video.
Which of course means that DF are now Microsoft shills...

This is an unfortunate side effect of the youtube cottage industry of negative Xbox content.
Take it as a sign of success that people are going out of their way to make videos about you.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

There have been a lot of people harassing me over Gears 5, basically, and it's really kinda broken me. I'm starting to get the impression that people don't want presentation style, pseudo-educational style videos as the feedback against it being overly positive is really harsh. Those are the videos I really enjoy making, though, and I hate being caught in fanboy warfare.

Absolutely ignore what people are saying; unless the criticism is universal and comes from a trusted editor/ critic, then there might be some merit to it. An anecdote: I wrote a weird ass cross-genre (darkscifantasyrom) thing almost ten years ago and didn't take to heart a single agent rejection or unfavourable galley read. I stuck to my vision and the book (and subsequent works) went on to become a bestselling, critically acclaimed novel.

Years later (late 2018), when deciding that I wanted to develop a YouTube channel, I followed the same hyper-focused methodology. I wanted to discuss the three pillars of my life: gaming, fitness and fantasy (literature). All the "YT experts" would tell you to specialize your channel, to do certain tips and tricks to aggressively capture your audience. But those people aren't necessarily the audience you want, and ultimately you should be expressing/ sharing an expression of yourself. Around summer this year, I also managed to snag a gig as an ESO Class Rep, due to my literary background. You can only imagine what trolling and attention a gaming "nobody" selected to be one of ten handpicked developer liaisons brought to my channel (I've been playing MMOs since MUDS and ESO since beta, but trolls don't know or care). But I endured. I blocked the worst offenders and managed to engage with and change the perceptions of some of the less volatile commenters. That storm has completely died down now and people in the community have come to respect my practical, level-headed and eccentric approach to content.

Whoever doesn't like your content will eventually go away. Don't worry about them, because they're never going to worry about you again and you have people who actually want to engage with you waiting for your next video. And as Terry Pratchett once and famously said: "It's not worth doing unless someone, somewhere, would rather you weren't."

Hang in there, and thank you for your analysis and content. (Sorry for any typos, I'm in a Uber doing this on my phone lol.)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Twitter algorithm is sometimes showing me the people you replied to against my will but I gotta say you are too nice responding topeople who doesn't even deserve an ounce of your time. I've seen people say some vile stuff that you respond to. They're dumbfuck trolls. Don't do that, you will not convince them. Their brain are mush with this fanboy console war.

Keep doing what you do and there will always be people cheering you on and the DF team. It's always a pleasure to watch your videos and I'm always grateful that you took the time to introduce the wonders of series like Ridge Racer and Ace Combat in your videos, going above and beyond as checking out the various Ace Combat games in a video about Ace Combat 7's performance.

What you're doing is great. You will forever be better than these people in every way. They don't deserve to be acknowledged the least bit, they want you to fail when you are succeeding.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, things are really bad today. Like...really bad. Not sure what to do right now.

While the haters might make themselves heard, know that there are infinitely more people who adore your content. You're a huge part of my enjoyment of gaming. I've been enjoying DF technical analysis stuff for since the early days but I don't just watch because of the resolution discussion etc. I watch because I like you (and the rest of the team!) and you bring me a lot of joy when I watch your content. Your passion and enthusiasm for gaming is infectious and that's why so many people watch you!

Keep on doing great things. You make gaming better and more fun.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, just go on a social bullshit blackout and continue doing the good work. The majority of people love DF's work, don't let the bullies win. Stay strong!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Why in the world would people harass you for being overly positive on Gears 5? It's one of the most visually stunning games ever released, and a technical marvel on the X especially and I don't know how anyone can seriously claim otherwise.

I think you need to take time off Twitter and social media in general. Twitter especially is a dumpster fire these days, and it seems like the worst of humanity in general is given free reign to spout whatever hateful shit they want on there, aided and abetted by Twitter's lamentable moderation policies. Any hateful, twisted loser is able to bad mouth people on there personally and it can't be good for your mental health having to put up with it.

Chin up big guy. Fanboys shouldn't be getting you down.

Fanboys were losing their minds after the Gaming Bolt and DF videos. They were posting video breakdowns trying to prove both wrong, posting trash in the comments sections, etc.

It's wild it's still going on, you'd think they'd move on and focus on TLoU part 2, but seems they are genuinely distraught that Gears is a visually stunning title.

Try not to let it to get to you, Dark1x. It's easy to say but much harder to do when you're on the receiving end.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

But you know that for every one of those idiots complaining about you being "too positive" (wat) on a game there are many more people that, like me, really like and appreciate what you do even though we just might not leave a comment or even hit the like button.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Damn, things are really bad today. Like...really bad. Not sure what to do right now.

If it can help you

You do you man, a lot of people LOVE your work and there's a quite negative trend going on atm. Stay strong !

I watched the KTG thing and the guy focused on stuff you actually didn't say the whole time. Like, the whoooooooooooooooooooole time. He was just creating points while you were focused on elements you enjoyed

So, people with two braincells will connect the dots and see that you got your sensitivity toward things, and essentially you just can't be the source of unshakable truth in terms of subjective appreciation for all of us out there watching your material

Be like Maximilian ! "I don't care about any of this, I just wanted to do what I deem enjoyable, and I play what I like"

Keep your chin up

Moff

Oct 26, 2017

I just wanted to say that your positive attitude about the games is something I love about your content. It just shows how enthusiastic you are about our form of media and you manage to find positive things in every game you cover. Thats something very enjoyable and wholesome in a generally sarcastic and cynical landscape of reviewers. Don't let the haters get to your enthusiasm.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Relentless criticism pool, to me, is a little like an undisciplined kindergarten class... and our lil Schwarzenegger inside us wants to shout "shut up" sometimes.
silent-hilljukng.jpg

It's obviously not the way to do it.

It's good to be positive, after all there's a budget, economical and technical, and concessions have to be done everywhere. It's not being a sellout to focus on what the budget was used for, it's just being informative about what works.
A history of water simulation is a keeper, a history of poor water implementations would not be ...

Maybe some just want to channel the dark energy of the ATGames System to summon "The Angry Founder" show.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
The internet can be a vile place, and I hate that people can say what they like without a regard for someone's feelings. I think all of you at df do a great job, and the people making stupid comments take a long hard look at themselves.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Just look at the upvotes and downvotes on YouTube. The "The Surge 2: Behind The Scenes" video has 2499 upvotes (EDIT: 2500 now ;-))and 86 downvotes. That are great numbers. A German gaming website, that also puts their videos on YouTube, has 133 upvotes and 33 downvotes for their Mega Drive Mini video.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017

The more DF started talking and commenting in their videos, the more enjoyable they became.
Retro is now one of my fav YT series and I actively savour every episode. Even rewatch them sometimes.
Dry technical facts and explanation are fun there, but the more I listen about non-technical impressions - a.k.a. your thoughts about the game - the more character DF in general wins.
I've noticed how each DF member has become more likable by going that way. Every single one.
It's been said to death but here it goes. Actively distance yourself from negative people and their needless posts. Rest your attention on the much broader positivity you receive. Best of success in your DF endeavours and feel free to PM whenever you need to vent/talk.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
You're a man who wears his heart on his sleeve, and that's no easy feat at your age. Do not, I repeat, do not let these negative forces break that. What you possess is too precious to let a bunch of sad people try to take it away from you.

I know it's tough, but try to distance yourself from those comments. Look at them as sad people that need your help more than anything. We all live in this internet bubble, and with your job especially, it's tough to not see or read comments, but they aren't relevant to what you are doing. There are always people trying to take down others that do great things. You're one of those great people.

Don't harden. Keep your heart and passion in front, and leave those who attempt to doubt or destroy your credibility in the rearview.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If I noticed anything over the course of following your work and comments through the years, John, it's that you flagelate yourself way too hard over comments on the internet for which you shouldn't give a bit of attention, or at least a lot less than you do.

I mean, I catch your drift, it's interesting to know what people think of you, your work and how to improve, but there's a line between constructive critiques and downright ill intended comments toward you, which I think you hurting yourself more with the latter.

Seeing you being affected this much with such low efforts comments upsets me man. Look at all the people who love you and your work all around the internet and focus on that instead.

ABSORB THE LOVE JOHN! :D

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

I think people who might browse across that channel might not want that pseudo-educational stuff, but I'd imagine people who specifically visit that channel want exactly what you're delivering (and appreciate it). Admittedly I don't generally visit the DF YT channel even though I sub to it, but I'll make a point of visiting it in the future.

I wish there was a way you can shut out negative comments before you even see them, but the internet can be a shithole where negative opinions often outweigh the constructive/positive ones :( Will do my part to try and course-correct that ratio :)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x

Imagine being such a PS fanboy that you feel the need to harass someone for stating that Gears 5 is a technical masterpiece. Especially after all the praise you have given PS4 exclusives like Horizon, Spider-Man and God of War.

These people are truly the lowest forms of pondlife fanboys, John. They literally have no life and are jealous that you get to do what you do for a living. Ignore them and keep doing what all of your fans eagerly anticipate each and every day!

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 IS a tech showcase. Why would anybody be that fickle to get pissed that somebody praises a game that deserves it? Keep doing what you do, John/DF. I love what you guys bring to the table, and hope you keep it up for years to come. Fuck. The. Haters. Let em hate.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
It's all stemmed from a flat earth style "truth-seeking" Playstation Fanboy channel who has "exposed" Digital Foundry for having a discussion with the Coalition prior to making the video.
Which of course means that DF are now Microsoft shills...

Well, that is not new. We all remember the hate Eurogamer was getting from ps fanboys during ps360 era.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
One thing I've kind of realized is that...I think I'm just bored of current generation consoles which is why I prefer to examine what developers are doing with the systems rather than looking at frame-rate, resolution and other such things. That just isn't interesting at this point as the machines are all old news. Moreover, they're all so similar that multi-platform differences just aren't interesting at all. They USED to be super interesting which is why I like checking out retro games in this way.

Maybe next-gen will help make this interesting again but I suspect they'll all be similar again.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
One thing I've kind of realized is that...I think I'm just bored of current generation consoles which is why I prefer to examine what developers are doing with the systems rather than looking at frame-rate, resolution and other such things. That just isn't interesting at this point as the machines are all old news. Moreover, they're all so similar that multi-platform differences just aren't interesting at all. They USED to be super interesting which is why I like checking out retro games in this way.

Maybe next-gen will help make this interesting again but I suspect they'll all be similar again.

Its hard work to find lots of interesting things to say about things that are ultimately all fairly similar, this is why I think it's great when you do have the opportunity to speak to the developers themselves and present a different set of information that is nearly impossible to identify externally.
I really loved your video on the surge, just being able to see the devs talk about the games and get an understanding for the tools and processes used is fascinating.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can't blame you. Is this your perspective with the Switch too? I had the impression that you were still excited about that one given the appeal of analyzing all the trickery required to get a super low-powered device to play the latest games.

(Although, to be fair, Rich sounds even giddier than you about the little handheld that could lol, it's kinda charming)

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

An unexplored thing on your side is "how the demomakers" made their demos ... :P
One of the staples of the PC demos, Second Reality, by future crew, got its source code released.

github.com

GitHub - mtuomi/SecondReality: Source code and data of Second Reality by Future Crew in 1993

Source code and data of Second Reality by Future Crew in 1993 - mtuomi/SecondReality

This would need to talk about 3D Studio, deluxe paint, the FC made Scream Tracker, how VGA works, what's gouraud shading, how they built the camera movements for their 3D traversal etc...
plenty to see just with that demo :P

I know it's not a game... but considering the demo groups did make games...
aaaanyway, if you need something fresh but old... there are always things to seek and study :)

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019

I agree with you on both accounts: the longer hardware cycles leave big gaps between console releases and the longer you stretch a gen the more difficult it is to become excited about the same old tech being recycled over - although the progress made during this gen have been exceptional. Next-gen might be samey but that only leads to the logicial conclusion that DF must find a way to diversify and learn the skills to sell this 'alternative' content better to the public. DF Retro and your recent Surge documentary are a step in the right direction and I can't wait what other formulae you guys will come up with if you choose to pursue in this direction.

You are undoubtedly facing an interesting challenge.

Also, I have a selfish request: could you make a complete video about Dragon Quest XIs? I am astonished by how good looking this game ended up on the Switch. Or even better, could you lump together several analyses like you did six months ago? That would make me veeeery happy.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Loved the latest Rocket Knight video. Its nice to hear a technical commentary at the same time as an watching an entire playthrough. Would love to see John do more playthroughs of his favourite games. Anychance of a Gunstar Heroes? ;-)

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London
current gen and next-gen may as well be PC boxes. Back when devs were creative with their architecture, i.e emotion engine and FX's chips thats when things where interesting.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017

Do what makes you happy and do it well, I'm sure you'll find that folks will dig it too.

As for dummies being dumb about Gears 5. Put them outta your mind, it's not going to do you any good to give them the satisfaction of thinking about their bullshit conspiracies.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017

I hear you. Although I find the comparisons of recent games a valuable purchase decision resource. For example, the DF analysis on Division 2 (and admittedly other sites, like the game's subreddit) helped me decide if I should get it on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro (it came down to, get the version your friends are on). Or the ACIII Remaster analysis between consoles. I still use your site's videos for those important purchase decisions.

But my infotainment fill comes from your retro games. I just love to see the what, how and why of older games, so that's the main course for me. Keep those coming!

And lastly, just remember to stick to your values. If you think what you are doing is interesting and valuable, who cares what a minority of loudmouths think who quite honestly will never be happy with anything. They aren't who you are doing these for, anyway. Do what you think is important. And always, THANK YOU for everything you produce!

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
What I love about DF is they have built a team that isn't affair to do deep and truley geek out on gaming stuff.

Comparisions isn't what pulls me into DF content, it's experts talking deeply about things they LOVE in an increabile way.
Don't feel the NEED to pump out comparison content, thats not what you are.

Thank you

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

That's why I follow the demoscene so relatively closely too, because IMO it's more impressive to push the limits of somewhat restrictive hardware than just play FMV and redbook audio (as an extreme example).

I'm with you, man. Show me the backstory of how they managed to get Quake looking so good on the Saturn over however many gigapixels and polygons can push.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Oh I didn't realize there was a discussion here about this, but I'll repeat it here from the Rocket Knight Adventures thread.

I been getting a few private messages asking to check up on John, so just noting that while I wasn't aware there was any sort of silly lowrent youtuber going after him until this morning, he's fine and up on his feet like Alfred Chicken on a Super Nintendo. I'll be going over to see him on Wednesday to work on some more videos and Let's Plays so no need to worry, I'll make sure he's chipper and cheerful.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What I'm reading here is someone desperate to make more videos about the Sega Dreamcast.

And my friend, I say go ahead! ;)

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Damn.... ive been worrying about John in the last months too... I can only say that your work is much appreciated and i hope this thread shows it.
Ive already left a pn in your twitter inbox about how much your work means to me.

Please dont let yourself be put down from internet trolls. Life has so much better and also worse things to worry and care about.
That said... You are an awesome dude! And we love you.

And John, if it gets to bad you might consider checking in at the doctors office. Somethings cant be worked out any other way.
Just speaking out of my own expirience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDutchSlayer

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Oh I didn't realize there was a discussion here about this, but I'll repeat it here from the Rocket Knight Adventures thread.

I been getting a few private messages asking to check up on John, so just noting that while I wasn't aware there was any sort of silly lowrent youtuber going after him until this morning, he's fine and up on his feet like Alfred Chicken on a Super Nintendo. I'll be going over to see him on Wednesday to work on some more videos and Let's Plays so no need to worry, I'll make sure he's chipper and cheerful.
We appreciate this a lot thanks
Please keep us informed as far as possible! :)

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x you're a hero and we love your work. It always felt like what you and the whole team do with DF was really innovative for YT.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
One thing I've kind of realized is that...I think I'm just bored of current generation consoles which is why I prefer to examine what developers are doing with the systems rather than looking at frame-rate, resolution and other such things.

Sad you feel that way . This generation has been wonderful (One of the best even ) . I feel if anything we've been spoilt with too many good games and almost take them for granted.

I wouldn't worry what people say about your DF productions, sadly most professionals seem to get abuse on the likes of Twitter or YouTube.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Much appreciated, man. Only watched the first 10 minutes of the Rocket Knight vid so far, but looking forward to watching the rest.

wig split

Nov 1, 2017
The best response is no response. Anything you say will be twisted to fit a narrative. Just keep putting out the great content.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Personally, I love those videos of yours the most (or maybe second most after DF Retro).

But even aside from my personal opinion, just looking at the like to dislike ratio on Youtube you have a mere 337 dislikes on that video. This is absolutely the case where an infinitesimal vocal minority is magnifying their complaints.

If you stop doing those videos you are doing a disservice to yourself (since you clearly love doing them) and your viewership.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

I approve vehemently of both the cheering up of John and the use of evocative Alfred Chicken analogies :')

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
He and the team at Digital Foundry produce something exceedingly rare at a really high quality. They're some of the best content creators on Youtube. I queue up their videos in a playlist and save them for special occasions when I can watch them on my home theater.

It's also been great to see how, while the topic will always remain relatively niche, they've genuinely helped change the industry for the better, and continue educate those who are willing to be educated on the technical aspects of the medium. I think it's a really great thing they're doing, and John's on-screen persona and level of research always ensure his videos are pristine. I just love everything he does, really. Keep your chin up, John!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's not much for me to say beyond what others have already covered but yeah, ignore the people shitting on you. So ,any others find value and enjoyment in what you do it's not worth paying the assholes any mind. I do like the performance comparison videos and use them in my decision making but even more so I love having a DF retro to watch on a weekend morning. It's become a bit of a ritual to get some breakfast and tuck in to watch.

Hopefully the voices of those of us that enjoy and appreciate your work help drown out the others getting you down. Take care of yourself, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.