• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
DF Retro might be my favorite thing on Youtube. John really does an amazing job.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks for all the nice comments. Haven't been posting anywhere much lately but I do appreciate it. Feeling a bit deflated after working so hard on a recent project only to have so few people watch it. It's always those labors of love that fail to make an impact like but what can ya do.
Checked it out a couple days ago and I loved it a ton, dude. Your content is always so well written and well presented. Props, and I can tell the work you put into your videos. It shows. I also love DF retro and can't wait for the next one. Hope you feel better!

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x, you're incredible man. And your DF retro vids are my single most favorite thing on the internet. The amount of passion you display and knowledge you bring to every video is unparalleled. Keep doing what you're doing. I

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Accidentally clicked on some "Paul's Hardware" video because I thought it was John on the thumbnail :)

Yaqoub

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kuwait
John and the rest of DF are amazing. John's retro show is something else. I love his work and I appreciate the time he spends making the content he makes. He is a key player in the DF team and I hope to continue enjoying his work for years to come. Keep your chin up, John. Always know that there are people out there that truly value and appreciate your hard work.

Thank you!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's so interesting to see Digital Foundry's evolution as a Youtube channel and how it's become personality driven. I think that John really helped usher that era in, and it's great to see people like Rich and Thomas get more on-camera screen time. Love watching these videos.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Charles Bukowski said:
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
/thread
No, go on, thread! ;)

I really appreciate all the good work that DF does. Watching almost everything, just leaving out some PC related stuff since I turned to 100% consoles for my gaming.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John legitimately saved my life by believing in me after I felt I had used up all of my talent and potential and forcing me back into the world of video game history. So yeah the dude is appreciated. People don't know just how generous and bonding the guy is off camera. Even my hair started growing back after we began working together.

y9RYLDn.jpg

"People don't know just how generous and bonding the guy is off camera."
I don't know, I think it comes off pretty well on-camera somehow. Granted, some people are good at acting like your friend on-camera while they are complete assholes in real life, but I never got that vibe from John, so your comment doesn't surprise me one bit.

That being said... You two make a great team. Looking forward to your next team playthrough :).

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The Surge 2 video was very well made and I would love to watch more of that style of content. The only thing that stuck out was that the game itself isn't really that visually impressive. It has a very washed out look to it that doesn't translate that well to YouTube, I guess.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
John legitimately saved my life by believing in me after I felt I had used up all of my talent and potential and forcing me back into the world of video game history. So yeah the dude is appreciated. People don't know just how generous and bonding the guy is off camera. Even my hair started growing back after we began working together.

y9RYLDn.jpg
You two need to do another retro playthrough. You actually nicked my idea for a game series about playing through an old game while at the same time providing a bit of a history on it. A re-plastory if you will.

Good to hear he helped you. He really does seem like a cool fella

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
You two need to do another retro playthrough. You actually nicked my idea for a game series about playing through an old game while at the same time providing a bit of a history on it. A re-plastory if you will.

Good to hear he helped you. He really does seem like a cool fella
Oh we are doing plenty of playthroughs and full DF Retro episodes together since John so graciously let me take part in his series. I been entertaining the idea of doing a few livestreams with him when I visit too, please send your encouragements to him!

I'm glad people enjoyed the content we made together! Working with him is the most fun I've had in probably a decade.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Oh we are doing plenty of playthroughs and full DF Retro episodes together since John so graciously let me take part in his series. I been entertaining the idea of doing a few livestreams with him when I visit too, please send your encouragements to him!

I'm glad people enjoyed the content we made together! Working with him is the most fun I've had in probably a decade.

The passion you both has is evident in the videos but you both seem really well in tuned with one another, so it makes the videos even more engaging to watch.

I will definitely send some encouragement his way.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Just wanted to say John, and the entire DF team, do a great job and I look forward to all of their videos. They do a great job of being critical (in a positive way) and educational, while still emphasizing technical achievements. True pros.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Thanks for all the nice comments. Haven't been posting anywhere much lately but I do appreciate it. Feeling a bit deflated after working so hard on a recent project only to have so few people watch it. It's always those labors of love that fail to make an impact like but what can ya do.

I guess I'm just going to repeat something that you already know or that people has already mentionned numerous times. Don't judge the quality of your work by the amount of people that watch it. You have a very specific specialization when it comes to your job. You have some real talent when it comes to video editing and narration. Not every video you're going to produce will be a homerun. You can't possibly expect of you to strike the chords of everyone, every time. The last video documentary that you did, the one regarding The Surge 2, it personally doesn't interest me since I am not a fan of that game. I have no doubt you've put some much needed labor of love on it but as a consumer I do not feel obligated to watch every single piece of content that a content creator I like creates. I watch the stuff that interests me. You have to accept this. It doesn't mean I do not appreciate your work. I still see your content in high regard. But for the many that may not have enjoyed this piece as much as you expected, there are the few that really enjoyed it because you did a piece on a game you and them have great interest on. They matter and your work matter too. You might not strike everyone's chord with every video, but you strike everyone's chord with all of your videos together and I personally think you should focus more on that!

Anyway, I hope you'll feel better about this one day.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
Im already waiting for the next vid to watch, and when the next xbox and playstation are out i will keep refreshing DF for their analysis, they are awesome and really in depth, and they explain it really well. :D

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, things are really bad today. Like...really bad. Not sure what to do right now.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
If it's haters, ignore them. Letting them get to you is what gives them and their bullshit power. They are a vocal minority. You and the work you do are awesome. For every one of them there are a 1000 people who think you rock and love what you do!

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Dark1x Fuck the haters, you do high-quality work and you have a community that really appreciates you. Keep your chin up and keep doing what you love. Very few of us get to do that in life.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to fall under trolls' spell, but John, keep in mind that by all accounts, normal people seriously enjoy your work. I'm not kidding when I say that you are literally a household name in my family, to say the least. Well, I hope it's just some dumb disrespectful people you are facing and not something worse than that, but whatever it is, feel free to PM me.

Jan 21, 2019
Digital Foundry is one of my favorite channels and their work has me stoked every time. Thank you for all your time and fuck the haters. John you videos are always a blast and with every new release, what I am hyped for the most are your videos (even above many games). For example I couldn't wait for the video on Days Gone even though I had no interest in playing it myself. Any person that gets me interesting in watching a video about a game I don't care about has some serious talent and that you John and everyone else on the team!. Keep up the good work!

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
You are a genuinely good human being, John, with a great body of work to boot. Don't let the haters get you down. If there's any way the community here can help out, let us know.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Just watched his rocket knight adventures playthrough, one of my favorite 16 bit games, and it was amazing to watch. Plenty of cool and funny references. John, you're awesome, don't let anything get you down. I'll keep following your work, I really love it.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
John, as a game developer but not one generally on the graphics side: I have learned a ton from you. You're one of my faves on YouTube.

If you wanna talk mental health feel free to pm me.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, things are really bad today. Like...really bad. Not sure what to do right now.
I'm making an assumption here that this is about the low view count (~5K) for the Rocket Knight Adventures video that went up today, since you recently expressed similar feelings about your video for The Surge 2 not being as successful as you would have liked, considering the amount of work that went into it.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but you have to stop measuring your self-worth by the number of views you're getting on YouTube.
I don't read the comments there, but I know that YouTube can be pretty bad, so it may also be wise to take a step back and avoid reading those too. Use an ad-blocker to block them if necessary.

I think that you and the rest of the team do great work with your technical analysis at DigitalFoundry, and hope that you continue to do so. The retro videos are always a delight.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't bother to read the context but DF is really the greatest on YouTube and one of the best gaming related shows ever. They are really good together and really pushing the show in interesting ways. Huge fan over here.

itsrealfood

Oct 25, 2017
Also count me in as one more in the tons and tons of people who very much enjoy the content you create. I'm very much hoping that whatever you experienced earlier in the day has relented and you've been able to take your mind off of it as much as possible. Please keep us updated if there is anything we can help with.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey man, I want you to know that what you are doing is one of the best things on youtube ever. Don't let the internet get to you if it is the reason and fuck the haters.

Don't let it get to you. If you need a break or a refresher then do it and no body would blame you for doing so. We are there for you if you need to talk or need help with something.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Can I just say I loved the hell out of that summer special on water rendering in games, because that felt like an episode just for me lol. Loved water effects ever since Morrowind had that pixel shader water effect, which was super hot at the time.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm making an assumption here that this is about the low view count (~5K) for the Rocket Knight Adventures video that went up today, since you recently expressed similar feelings about your video for The Surge 2 not being as successful as you would have liked, considering the amount of work that went into it.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but you have to stop measuring your self-worth by the number of views you're getting on YouTube.
I don't read the comments there, but I know that YouTube can be pretty bad, so it may also be wise to take a step back and avoid reading those too. Use an ad-blocker to block them if necessary.

I think that you and the rest of the team do great work with your technical analysis at DigitalFoundry, and hope that you continue to do so. The retro videos are always a delight.
No no, it's not that. I expected those numbers.

There have been a lot of people harassing me over Gears 5, basically, and it's really kinda broken me. I'm starting to get the impression that people don't want presentation style, pseudo-educational style videos as the feedback against it being overly positive is really harsh. Those are the videos I really enjoy making, though, and I hate being caught in fanboy warfare.

Sep 29, 2019
It makes me sad to see that someone so talented is down. I hope you find the courage and the inspiration every single day you need, as you have given courage and inspiration to many people, including me. DF's videos with your work are incredible, and it is truly one of the most reliable, interesting and catching videos i ever watched. We are all very grateful for the entertainment you give to us, and not any entertainment, but good, reliable, information dense, EXCELLENT entertainment. Thank you for everything you've done for us. I really hope you read this (and all messages) and know how happy you make me and many others. Please, don't listen to what others have to say badly about you. You are an amazing person and we are always trusting you. I hope you the best!

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

There have been a lot of people harassing me over Gears 5, basically, and it's really kinda broken me. I'm starting to get the impression that people don't want presentation style, pseudo-educational style videos as the feedback against it being overly positive is really harsh. Those are the videos I really enjoy making, though, and I hate being caught in fanboy warfare.

From one content creator to another who has also struggled at times with this: stop reading the comments and take a break from social media. I've been through similar bouts of harassment and just stepping away and disconnecting is the only thing that'll help right now. The flood will eventually subside (it always does), but I've found that focusing less on the feedback in a general sense has had a positive effect overall. I no longer ready every comment or every Twitter interaction, and feel better off for it.

Also, I know it's tough to keep in mind, but you do truly fantastic work, and anyone harassing you over that (or for anything, for that matter) doesn't have an opinion that's worth paying credence to. And the easiest way to do that for now is to avoid it entirely. And I mean it: Don't look at it at all; it only takes a single comment to start the downward spiral, and it's not worth subjecting yourself to that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People react harshly out of jealousy, don't let any of that get to you, you do amazing work, it takes little courage to be a hater behind a screen, what you do and your style matters to people, we enjoy your content and as a creator you should only make things that make you happy. Stay positive.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not really sure what to suggest other than stepping back from reading comments/feedback on the videos and making social media accounts private, if necessary, to avoid letting that toxicity into your life.
I understand wanting to be connected to the community that you are producing content for, but sometimes as a creator it's better to just put your work out there and leave it at that. It doesn't have to be a two-way relationship.
That can be difficult - especially at first. If you're anything like me, it's always tempting to just have a quick look and see what comments there are, but I found that it is sometimes much better to make a clean break from it all and focus on putting that energy back into my work instead.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017

I'm so sorry John! I cant imagine what the harassment is like, but I know that the videos you make are so special and important that it would a serious loss if they stopped. The content you make is soooooo good, seriously incredible stuff that has made me and countless others interested about games technology in a way I never thought possible. Your educational approach has got me reading books on ray tracing, to think about pursing a career in computer graphics.....your videos are SO valuable and so different than what's out there on youtube right now. Literally no other channel can offer such an accessible and easy to understand look at gaming and graphics tech.

Fanboys can go to hell!

Oct 27, 2017

Why in the world would people harass you for being overly positive on Gears 5? It's one of the most visually stunning games ever released, and a technical marvel on the X especially and I don't know how anyone can seriously claim otherwise.

I think you need to take time off Twitter and social media in general. Twitter especially is a dumpster fire these days, and it seems like the worst of humanity in general is given free reign to spout whatever hateful shit they want on there, aided and abetted by Twitter's lamentable moderation policies. Any hateful, twisted loser is able to bad mouth people on there personally and it can't be good for your mental health having to put up with it.

Chin up big guy. Fanboys shouldn't be getting you down.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a content creator in the gaming scene, any kind of 'public forum' like Twitter, Youtube comments and Reddit is always at risk of becoming super toxic over ridiculous shit.

You just have to either learn to ignore that kind of noise or resort to installing add-ons / browser extensions that do that; and frequent places where you feel appreciated and where feedback / criticism feels constructive. (if that's here, that's cool, if it isn't, that's cool as well).

Sure, you'll feel that you're running the risk of creating a bubble around yourself and - as someone who's serious about their work - you'll feel the need to not do that; to take any and all criticism to heart.
But you're not carrying the Ring into Mordor - none of the odd helpful feedback you get via Youtube comments or random Twitter users might be worth the exposure to a place / community that slowly eats away at your soul.

Y'all at DF have grown from being those "annoying pixel counters" to a being a place that gets early access to console hardware and software; an institution. Developers yearn for that DF 'seal of approval' more than for any one specific positive review. That's a huge achievement - and don't let anyone tear you down.
And i'm sure, if i were into retro gaming, i'd love DF retro content as well, but alas, that's not my niche, but i'm pretty sure a lot of people really enjoy that stuff too.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I like John even if I think his opinions cloud the tech videos at times, the Link's Awakening video to me felt like just love for the game and giving it a must have rating just for being that despite how bad the game runs or if you can "get used to it"

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

You should know how good feedback looks like. Take that and reject anything that looks like harrastment. Don't waste your time answering to people that obviously have an agenda to make you feel bad. Continue making the videos you like, because obviously there is a lot of people that enjoy them and do provide good feedback. That is the feedback you need to focus on so you can improve even more. Grow a thicker skin, because out there there is a lot of miserable people that enjoy making anyone successful feel bad, especially when they show to be vulnerable online.

Status
Not open for further replies.