• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Yeah, John is absolutely amazing and I wish I could produce videos with only half of the voice talent, knowledge and production quality. He's a legitimately good presenter while doing top notch work - anyone who thinks it's ok to personally attack him must be a miserable jealous coward.

In fact everyone at DF does a superb job but John is the OG guy who elevated their content to what it is today. ;)

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Respect, Dark.

Don't give the trolls power over how you feel about yourself.
They are completely inconsequential to your life and aren't worth a moment's notice beyond apathy and perhaps pity that their own relevance is tied to how they can demean someone better than them.

It takes zero effort to go online and talk shit to someone.

Meanwhile you are busting your ass providing a unique and invaluable resource to those of us without the knowhow yet are intrigued by what you delve into.

Thank you

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
FWIW - always liked his videos. We may not see eye to eye on the DF coverage from years ago, but a) that was years ago and b) not a reflection on my views on *his* work. Seems like a top fella - bought monster boy on his recommendation

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DF is the only channel where I watch every single video even the ones that aren't aimed at me. The approach they take towards technology and describing how games work is fascinating to me and I love every bit of their content. Don't let the internet trolls get to you man.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a million for your brilliant, comprehensively researched videos! You've done so much to reward people interested in the archival and preservation of this medium. Ignore the fuckheads!

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Although I've only read the mod edit OP and know he's having a bad day but I still don't have context? In regards to a video or just straight up trolling of sorts?

Regardless, Dark1x is the most wholesome member of the team. When he speaks you can tell there's a lot of love for his subject matter. For that we are all eternally grateful.

Stay strong fella.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I used to jokingly mock him for his stupid insane eyes, about a decade ago, elsewhere. He'd shit on games I loved that had minor dips, or pacing issues, or couldn't hold a solid 60 (or, forbid it happening, 30fps) and I'd judge his technical acumen.

I quickly learned to respect his take and was overjoyed when he joined DF and have loved his contributions ever since. You've found your niche and you're amazing at it, John (and DF in general). Keep being awesome.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what people are saying to him, but I just want to say I really appreciate his work, and he seems like a genuinely kind individual, and I just wish people would be nice to each other on the internet (and in real life).

Also, something that I have always appreciated about John's perspective on games is that while he has a deep appreciation for advanced tech, he never loses sight that game design is paramount.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I freaking love the guy, and i madly appreciate him for giving us something different from the tired "only Nintendo matters" wankfest that we usually get from retro-related channels.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
DF retro is my favourite gaming thing to watch and I love how much effort Dark1x puts into everything he does.

Here's to a great gaming channel and to a great bloke.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I did not know about this online malarkey. The DF guys do some of the most unique and in-depth work in gaming space and as such, they have my full support.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It takes tremendous strength and good character to:

1) put your work out there for public consumption where it can be picked apart (I say this as a news reporter of 10 years)

2) put your face to your work — no matter what one looks like (and to be clear, John is a fine-looking fellow)

3) to be emotionally honest and vulnerable about your feelings, as John has done opening up just now

4) to take the high road and not stoop to the level of those who would try to degrade you

All that strength is pretty darn sexy, btw!

Just keep being the kindest and brightest boy in the room, John. Good people on the internet are a most precious thing.

Hopefully the haters figure out why they're miserable and turn their lives around.

brobban

Oct 28, 2017
John - you're awesome, passionate and very knowledgable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x has become one of the most valuable and immensely knowledgeable figure in games coverage and I salute his efforts to cover and shed due light on any kind of experience, big or small, new or old. His DF retros are unquestionably the channel's finest content and such an essential service for preserving and recognizing gaming's history.

Of recent, I was thrilled that he was the one to write Ace Combat 7's review and it was by far the best review written for the game. Genuine enthusiasm and knowledge towards really any series, much less one that's been this dormant, is incredibly rare and to find one in John was refreshing and very encouraging. Hats off to you, John!

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Im still bummed that DF never made a proper Zelda BOTW face-off BUT

I greatly enjoy your work and i have to say that DF is my favorite channel ever. Thank you for everything!

Evilcrane

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
John, you do amazing work and It's always a joy to watch your content. Together with my students, we always make time to watch new Digital Foundry videos and everyone absolutely loves your DF Retro content.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive said it before and I will say it again- your content is fantastic. You are the best in the biz at what you do and I always look forward to your videos.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Your DF Retro videos are such a wonderful labour of love, we need more people like you John.

I love the way you detail an extensive technical analysis but one that's leavened by an artistic appraisal and a genuine affection and nostalgia for the title that you're covering.

Take care of yourself my man.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Dark1x,

I hope this message finds you well.

I've been a long time fan of your work and look forward to everyone of your video breakdowns. Being an avid fan of the details I really appreciate the fact that you never leave a stone unturned in your analysis. Cudo's to you and the hard work you put into your videos.

On a personal note, I work professionally in the field of advertising in New York at a fortune 500 worldwide company and deal with talent all the time. From tv to web based video, I've been around enough on camera talent to have a good understanding of what works and don't. Before my working in advertising, I also worked at MTV (when it was good).

Needless to say, you're on camera appearance and presentation skills are pretty damn good. You're delivery keeps an audience engaged and you have the look of an approachable, friendly face who is well kept (hair and face is always well groomed and skin looks very healthy). I don't mean to make it sound like you are a "marketable product", but in my line of work, this type of talk always happens behind the scenes when booking and looking for talent.

I hope you find some solace from an honest "professional" opinion.

As a fan of you and your work though, don't let the haters get you down. Hate usually stems from people who are jealous (subconsciously) of the progress you make because it shines the light on their unproductive lives in comparison.
Quoted for truth ^

I hope Dark1x sees this.

Legomuscles

Oct 27, 2017
DF and especially DF Retro are the only YouTube series/channel I will watch every video posted. I'm one of those weird people that collects games more than I play them, and install graphical mods to geek out on how amazing games can look. When I stumbled upon DF on YouTube I was so appreciative so the quality of work on display and felt like finally someone has made a channel that catered specifically to me! John is a fantastic presenter and gifted content creator who is helping to shape the future of how games are made, while also making highly technical information entertaining and understandable. That is a truly priceless combination of skills, personality, and intelligence few people pull off as well as you! I'm a nobody but I do know that the more success you have, the more people will try to knock you back down to their level. People trolling on the internet are just pieces of trash that nobody cares about because their horrible personality has isolated them from society. Therefore they grow to hate the world, and yearn for seemingly happy and successful people to feel pain. Dark1x just be mindful that the overwhelming majority of the internet absolutely loves your hard work, appreciates your passion, and look forward to seeing more fantastic videos in the future!

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
It can be argued Dark1x is literally among the best in the world at what he does, and that's not even hyperbole.

The product is consistently amazing, and something that brightens my day whenever I see a new video posted.

Nothing else I can say that hasn't already been said, but you have a shit ton of respect from a shit ton of people, and I hope everything gets sorted out.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
John, you're amazing at what you do, and your nice and caring personality comes through in your work. There's always going to be idiots out there with nothing better to do than to troll people who are nice and caring such as yourself, and of course people who are successful. If they are attacking you about your looks, it's because they are immature and childish. If they attack you about your work, they must be ignorant, because you're hands down one of the best at what you do. And I can't see anyone attacking your personality... because you seem friendly as fuck... the kind of bud that I think most of us wish we had more of.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is fuck them. You're better than those people.. don't ever forget that. (Thanks for all your work over the years)

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Whenever I see a new DF video on my feed I assume its either by John, Alex or Thomas. All do a wonderful job and the Retro series is always a good watch. Learning things about the old games which I never knew in my childhood.

Keep up the good work John. DF won't be the same without you.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Love the guy's enthusiasm for all things retro and of course does fantastic work for DF and it seems many people in the industry have nothing but respect for John and think he's a good dude. Haters got nothing else going on in their vapid lives.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
John, I love seeing your videos. You and the DF team do a fantastic, industry leading job, and I know many devs who love seeing your work, and the endless passion you put into it.

Keep it up.

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
I think Ive watched almost every video hes put out on DF Retro and yeah man, I'm a silent approving observer but Ill just say *thumbs up* right now!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
You're the man, John! The internet is a place where insecure assholes project their own issues onto others to try and feel better. You're a gift to us all. Never doubt.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
John, you have a passion for games and everything about them, and that passion shows in what you create, and it's easy for all of us to see. Anyone who is a true gamer can have nothing but appreciation for what you do.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Dark seems like a great dude and the entire DF team are excellent at what they do. It takes a lot of strength to put yourself out there and also such valuable content, even in the face of negative vibes. I don't think people would know what they would miss until they were gone.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x I freaking love your DF videos. I watch every single one that gets posted here. Your personality, knowledge, and presentation make every video a pleasure to watch.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Besides how fucking shitty personal attacks are as a concept, attacking someone who actually gets in front of a camera and puts out good work is so fucking stupid. That shit is not easy to do on the Internet.

Nov 30, 2017
John is far from being ugly, im a straight guy but the wife said he was handsome.

I read the tweet saying "other" symptons popping up. I dont know what those are but can say we all struggle. At different times but we all do struggle. Some people have accused me of having "the perfect life". That couldnt be further from the truth.

If things get overwhelming see a professional. Ive been hospitalized over mental issues and i should have never let it get that far. Just couldnt admit things were bad.

Im sure you have a million offers john but if you wanna chat in private im here. That goes for anyone struggling.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It takes tremendous strength and good character to:

1) put your work out there for public consumption where it can be picked apart (I say this as a news reporter of 10 years)

2) put your face to your work — no matter what one looks like (and to be clear, John is a fine-looking fellow)

3) to be emotionally honest and vulnerable about your feelings, as John has done opening up just now

4) to take the high road and not stoop to the level of those who would try to degrade you

All that strength is pretty darn sexy, btw!

Just keep being the kindest and brightest boy in the room, John. Good people on the internet are a most precious thing.

Hopefully the haters figure out why they're miserable and turn their lives around.

Great post.

I feel the same.

Dark1x Keep on rolling and fuck the trolls (most, if not all of them are jealous children who dream of working in the games industry, aswell as having such a handsome face). My boyfriend genuinely has a crush on you.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I appreciate John for his presence here on Era. I really do. I feel like it's a healthy and respectable bridge between fans/gamers and his sector of the industry. It used to make me sad that back at the old place things were so hostile toward developers, publishers, insiders, journalists, etc. Just because this is a new place and a fresh start doesn't mean it can't be or become hostile though. I hope it never becomes that way because if it were to drive him off it would be a colossal loss, and would only reaffirm that we are in fact trash people.

Keep doing what you're doing Dark1x and I look forward to more content from you in the future, and fun discussion on here if you have time. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Aww, I'm sad to hear that John is going through a tough time. I love his content and Digital Foundry has grown over the years to become one of my favorite gaming channels. The whole DF crew seem like genuinely great guys, and their knowledge and passion for gaming shines in their videos. You don't find that level of consistent quality often. I know how easy it is to feel disheartened, so it's nice to see everyone show John just how appreciated he really is.

Dec 4, 2018
I think Dark1x is sexy ;)

I do love your work!

I feel that you should try participating online under a different identiy. Fact is, your famous!

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, thanks for this crazy thread. It does indeed cheer me up somewhat! Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.